View Full Version : Render Layers - MR and Maya Software

yeroc
07 July 2007, 02:08 AM
Hello, and thanks in advance-

I am currently using Maya 7.0. I am working on a outdoor scene using Maya's Ocean Shader, and some PaintEffects.

I would like to render these things using the Maya Software Render. All the rest of the geometry in the scene will be rendered in Mental Ray. I have put all of the geometry in render layers, one layer for Maya Software, the other for Mental Ray. Then for each layer setting, I set it to it's correct renderer. The problem is that when I change one layer's renderer, It changes the other layer's to the one I chose.

I have no idea if this is possible or not, but I am sure it is. I am still getting the hang of Maya, and still only in High School so I've pretty much been learning everything my self. Any help is really appreciated.

mindsample
07 July 2007, 01:46 PM
You will either have to choose only one renderer or renderin passes (two different scenes) and composit later.

I suggest you do it all in mental ray, you can convert the paint effects into polygons and the ocean shader should work in MR anyways ...

Ironhalo
07 July 2007, 02:58 PM
or you could set layer overrides in your render layers, right click and go to layer override. change your engine and then only that layer is affected.

yeroc
07 July 2007, 04:49 AM
Thank you both for your quick responses.

I tried what Ironhalo suggested and it worked perfectly.

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2007, 04:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.