View Full Version : Compositing shadows without an alpha channel in Fusion

SanjayChand
06 June 2007, 01:11 AM
Hi there.

I am rendering seperate shadow passes from Maya per Jeremy Birns method as seen here:
http://www.3drender.com/light/shadpass.htm

How can I use these in Fusion?

What nodes or combo of nodes would I use to extract an alpha channel?

dprgb
06 June 2007, 09:02 PM
You'll get the shadows alone in the red, green, and blue channels. You can just channel boolean them... for instance to get the red-channel shadow alone and in greyscale, just connect the shadow pass to a channel boolean as the background and set the RGB outputs to be the red-channel background layer. Then do the same with seperate boolean nodes for the green and blue.

SanjayChand
06 June 2007, 11:08 PM
hi there

thanks alot !

that worked for the most part.

What operation do I use?

I just have red shadows, not green or blue.
I connected the shadow to the bg input of the booleans node and then I changed the "to red" channel to "Background Red FG"

The shadows are still red though. How do I get them gray scale and pre-div and post-mult them?

SanjayChand
06 June 2007, 11:10 PM
oh yea, also in the merge node, what blending option should I use?

over, screen, or multiply?

bimdas
06 June 2007, 03:37 PM
Hook up the shadow matte to a Color correcter and darken the background to taste.

SanjayChand
06 June 2007, 06:16 AM
thanks alot for the tips. got it all to work cept for being able to tint the shadows with a color.

gsantoshprasad
06 June 2007, 10:16 PM
hi
im new to fusion i dont no how to compose pauses so plz guide me how to compose.
if any tutorial sites for pauses compositing means plz send me site details plzzzzzzzzzz

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2007, 10:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.