View Full Version : Soft Depth Map shadows in Hardware renders

redbranch
06 June 2007, 10:31 AM
I usually render stuff in max as it's depth map shadows are quick to set up and look good with normal maps.

I am rendering a head with a normal map in Maya and am consequently Hardware rendering it.
Even when I use hi res depth maps for the shadows I still get gritty hard edges no matter what I try. I can get better shadows in software, but my normal map won't render.

So to summerize I need soft shadows using depth maps while hardware rendering so my normal map renders.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Best,
red

redbranch
06 June 2007, 09:29 AM
Any help would be most appreciated.

ebutts
06 June 2007, 07:47 PM
I would try increasing your filter size attribute for your light source under shadows-depth maps. You can also decrease the resolution of your depth maps. Low res and larger filter sizes will give you softer shadows. Hope this helps.

techmage
06 June 2007, 06:56 AM
i tried to figure this out myself a while back, I never found a way

Emil3d
06 June 2007, 11:42 AM
your other options are to render your normal maps with Mental Ray or use rendrer layers and add the shadow pass with Software renderer.

redbranch
06 June 2007, 08:03 PM
Nice one guys. I'll try a few of those ideas. It's a pain as it's one of those things that's so easy and quick to do in Max. I wish there was a quick equivalent in Maya.

red

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2007, 08:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.