Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Is there a way to reconnect a rig's controls?

06-03-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm using the Alfred rig to make an animation, and I needed him to look like a mime. After careful searching through his outliner (as his body is only seen as a "reference"), I found how to alter his face. I was able to edit his low-poly character no problem...everything worked fine (albeit freaky looking with low-poly facepaint).

However, once I raised his head's smoothness, I noticed that I didn't really change the face I wanted, so I went back and did the same thing with his smooth face (which literally took hours and hours to do).

Once I finished my ridiculously tedious task, I returned to his expression controller and went to put his face back on low-poly, but nothing happened. None of the controls worked anymore. I tried moving his controllers (joints? not sure what they are called), but those, too, weren't connected. I have no clue what changed, since all I did was apply a different texture to his face.

Anyway, here's a picture of what I mean, since I'm not sure if you guys would understand me.

This is him with his controllers in the place they should be, yet aren't connected.

This is me moving the connectors to where they should be.

Thanks for any help you guys could have! My animation was going amazingly until this, and now it doesn't at all.

06-03-2007, 01:38 PM
All right. Apparently, listening to my roommate telling me that using the "Delete History" option was not a good idea (knew I shouldn't have listened to him). Now I have to do everything all over again. :eek:

06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Wait, i don`t get it. Both screens are described as "controls are where they should be".

Which one is true "should be" version? ;)

Not sure what you actually did there, but I don`t see any joints on your screens. Maybe the skin cluster... fell off? ;) That would explain why the mesh is not following your controls.

Does the face work on blendshapes?

edit: oh, aprooval span ;> So, here you go ;)

06-06-2007, 07:43 AM
If his body is only seen as a reference, go to File, reference editor, and select the reference in the reference editor.
Then go to File... import objects from reference.
This should make it a part of the scene. (thus eliminating most errors)

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2007, 07:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.