XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Rendering from Maya 8.5 to Maya 7

05-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi, I've been a member for awhile and I have had little or no issues with Maya 8.5. I have gotten much better at my modeling skills to the point where rendering has become more frequent.

I have Maya 8.5 on my New PC and on my old PC I have Maya 7. Does anyone know of a certian file format I can use to transfer some of my objects to Maya 7 so I can render some of the less intense scenes?

I figured while my main pc is rendering I could some find some use for the old Maya 7. I know Maya 7 does not have all the features as Maya 8.5 has of course but I would like to be able to still render some stuff that is less intense and that I could comp back in later.

So I tried using the obj. file format but that does not work becasue then my polygonal objects are one giant mesh, then the Maya ascii format won't read on Maya 7 so I have no clue if there even is a way to get my object back to maya 7.

If anyone knows of a way that I can transfer my objects as separate parts (like a car for example) that would be great.

Thank you for yourr time.

05-28-2007, 01:45 AM
What you need to do to make the Maya ASCII format work for you, is open the file up in a text editor and change the "requires Maya 8.5" type of statements in the first few lines of the file to say 7.0 instead.

Then it should open in Maya 7!

05-28-2007, 03:49 AM
oh wow cool! Thank you so much!

This will save me hours of setting scenes up, rigging my characters and models again.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2007, 03:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.