View Full Version : Directional Ambient Occlusion

JellyFire
05 May 2007, 04:42 PM
Hey, I recently discovered the ctrl_occlusion shader (from mymentalray.com), it all sounds good, just plug a light into the vector coords to get directional occlusion... Problem is I'm one of the minority (mac user) and can't use this wonderful shader...

I know there are no mac compatible ones out there, but what I was wondering, seeing as it is probably just a phenomenon shader, is there a way of manually setting this up?
It's easy as hell to get the vector coords using xform, so how much more work is this?

Any ideas?
JellyFire

jeremybirn
05 May 2007, 05:22 PM
With a regular mib_amb_occlusion texture, you can change the Output_mode to 2 and it'll give you 3 directional occlusions, one in each color channel, if that's useful to you.

-jeremy

ACamacho
05 May 2007, 09:11 AM
is dirtmap available to the Mac? Haven't used it in years (literally), but I recall it having "basis vector" attributes. Might help...if it's the same as ctrl_occlusion I just manually plugged in the light thru a lightInfo node (and a vectorNode too I believe)...into the vectors slot.

JellyFire
05 May 2007, 09:06 PM
Ok, so the Ambient Occlusion seems to have the ability to cast directional shadows...
Does anyone know a way of plugging the light into a utility node etc, then plug it into the occlusion shader to result in something similar to the ctrl_occlusion shader in one black and white image...

Anyone know who the shader creator is?
Thanks
JellyFire

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2007, 09:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.