This was initially posted at Highend3D, hope that you dont mind me copy/pasting
I wrote a script that:
- Generates a poly cylinder and locates on each vertex a cube
- Creates a spring constraint between adjacent cubes
- Binds the position if the vertex to the cube
- Creates a lofted surface between adjacent cubes. This is to give some kind of visual feedback regarding the stretching of the spring constraints.
I have some screens here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8376610@N08/499557901/in/set-72157600217475895/), please take a look, so you can have a better idea.
Ok, I have a couple of questions now:
- I used expressions to bind the vertex position to the cube position, is this the best thing to do in this case? The idea is to see how the cylinder deforms.
- Another expression was used, to modify the diameter of the lofted surface that varies depending on how much each spring is being stretched. But I would like to aditionaly have some color coding here, from what I have seen a ShadingSwitch could be a good solution. Is this a good idea, can you give me an example on the implementation of this thing?
Hopefully this is clear enough and if you have some comments please let me know. Any input is welcome