View Full Version : How to texture a very long castle wall?

zingbat
05 May 2007, 04:56 PM
I'm working on a castle wall which is very long and is giving me some problems. The wall is a continuous mesh so i'm using the same texture but this causes the wall artifacts to repeat itself when looking at the distance. What's the apropreate technique for this situation?

I have to say that i have already made the wall brick texture as much uniforme as possible and remove all the artifcat resulting from visible light/dark areas and other similar problems. Still the castle wall looks very long and boring.

PenguinVisuals
05 May 2007, 05:21 PM
There's a few tricks.

One way is to make alternative texture for the wall that also tile with each other and randomly place them on the wall to break up the repetition.

Another way is to add other elements in to it to break it up. Like, put in a column, put in cracks, add some vines or stain over parts of it, hanging flags, windows, etc, for example.

Finally there's lighting. Not much you can add if it's day time, but if its a night time there are many possibilities.

zingbat
05 May 2007, 10:05 PM
Nice tricks.

angel
05 May 2007, 12:21 PM
You can do a number of different things to break it up. The first one of course is to have enough resolution in your image so you can paint a decent texture map that is very close to scale so repetition is less of an issue. If you can not avoid that then layers are your friend. You can layer different textures and blend them together to achieve different results.

You can also of course do what PenguinVisuals suggested and add other elements to break it up.

LatinMessiah
06 June 2007, 05:29 AM
Thanks!

-LM

ArtOfSoulburn
06 June 2007, 11:36 PM
This tutorial may help you...

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/tiling_trick/tiling_trick.htm

- Neil

CKPinson
06 June 2007, 11:57 AM
In Maya, within placement activate the mirrors and break my wall into sections, take my texture into CS2 and cut paste the texture and rearrange the tiles, probably make 3 or 4 separate textures and use them in alternating segments of the wall. Is the entire wall going to be viewed as a whole in your image-piece- that will also effect the method you use. Tweat the placement, size and mirror functions and use altered variations of your text file.

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2007, 11:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.