View Full Version : Matte Painting survey

tharmine
05 May 2007, 10:08 AM
Hi guys,
this is not really a survey, but i am collecting information on the Matte Painting usage in production, and would like you to help me completing it with some more informations. I am sure your answer will be usefull to everybody too.

This is addressed to all profesionnal artist, which have been paid for their work doing matte painting :

A what proportion (in %) of 2d establishing shot /illustration/ game background have you done (no live action footage in it, as opposed to B)?

B what proportion (in %) of 2d set extention have you done (live action footage in it)?

C what proportion (in %) of 2.5d matte paiting have you done, establishing shot or set extension (where there is 3d model in it and a camera movement)?

D of all the matte painting you have done, how many(in %) of 1) print illustration 2) tv commercial or serie 3) movie 4) games have you done ?

E do you think that matte painting (2d and 2.5 and 3d) si a growing market as a afordable vfx for a product (tv, commercial, movie)? (compared to heavy 3d)

F what proportion (in %) matte paiting take of the gobal vfx market ?

Thank you for your help and time. Of course, if you know any link to an article or a reference i could use, just tell me. Feel free to add any coment you want to complete these informations, or if you feel some question are unclear.

cheers

thomas

JJASSO
05 May 2007, 06:39 PM
well this is not easy to answer , most of the matte painters are centered in the US , but just talking for instance , me I 've done lotos of comercials and local films but this flow of work will never be equal than US enterntainment industry.

but anyway I'm answering this , hope this helps in anyway because I don't understand about what proportion related with what ? on each question

A :20%
B :60%
C :50%
D :80%
E :100%
F :30%

tharmine
05 May 2007, 07:08 PM
Thank you James. The proportion i mean is related to all the matte work you do, so f.ex i understand from your answer that half of your matte painting work is 2.5d.
Question D, i meant, of all matte painting you have done (100%), how many print, tv, etc, like print 20%, tv 40%, ...

Sorry if i am unclear, should rethink the questions..

Thanks anyway, i hope more professional will answer in order to have a better overview.

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2007, 07:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.