View Full Version : Is this at all possible?

octopus7
04 April 2007, 10:37 PM
Hi all, I'm currently working on a futuristic H&K handgun and have recently started thinking about how I will go about doing the textures for it. What I want to know if I can do or not is the following.

1 - use a dark brushed metal with slight reflective properties in the diffuse slot.

2 - use a UV unwrapped bump map (for the engraved writing etc on the pistol and to give the brushed metal some depth) in the bump slot.

3 - Use a UV unwrapped specular map in the specular slot.

4 - non raytraced falloff in the relflection slot (stupid question, how do I do falloff reflections in V-ray as I can't select raytraced for falloff without getting errors anymore)

All help will be appreciated. thanks

scrimski
04 April 2007, 10:53 PM
Except #1 - yes.
#4 I don't know, I'm not a VRAy user, but it should be possible to render falloff reflections in VRay.
As for #1: You have to choose - reflections or diffuse. You can't define the reflectivity in the diffuse and vice versa. you can fake an environment reflection by using a map set to environment in the diffuse slot, but it won't reflect the objects around your gun.

metamesh
04 April 2007, 08:13 AM
for N.4 , use a vray material, next to the reflection slot check the "fallof reflection" checker and uncheck the "L" to give an especific fallof value...

octopus7
04 April 2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks a million for the replies:) Once I get my project modelled a bit more i'll start a WIP thread on it. I'm still learning how to use V-ray effectively, still have a long way to go!

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2007, 10:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.