View Full Version : Newbie Question: Texturing in 3ds Max 8

rowd149
04 April 2007, 08:24 PM
Okay, so I'm really new to modelling and everything, and this is the first time I've tried texturing in 3ds max. I have the texture pulled up in the material editor and everything, but the "Assign to selected" button won't work! Is there anything I might be doing that is screwing this up?

DanHibiki
04 April 2007, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure what could cause this. The only instnces where this could happen is if youdon't have an object selected, or if you created a texture only in the material editor, and not a material with a texture in it.

MetalcoreMailman
05 May 2007, 06:09 AM
Just drag the texture from the material editor and drop it onto whatever it is that you want to put it onto. That should work. Also make sure that the little Box that is checkered and has blue and clear on it, Its it the material editor, is pushed down. That lets you view the textures in realtime, to a certain degree. Then just F9 it and it should work.

rowd149
05 May 2007, 10:40 AM
I've tried that, actually. :( Could the fact that the model is imported be messing with it?

kbotnen
06 June 2007, 11:37 AM
rowd149:

Does "not working" mean that the assign material to selection button is disabled (greyed out) or can you click the button?

Does the texture show in the rendering (Hit 'f12' to open the render dialog, press render). If you want the texture to show in the viewport you have to specify that in the material editor (hit 'm'). And you have to configure the viewport to show textures, use 'f3' and 'f4' to toggle viewport modes.

You also have to select the object you want to assign the material to before you can hit the assign material button (hit 'h' to list objects in your scene, then select one of them).

One more thing to check for is lights. Do you have an lightsource in your scene? If so, does it light up the object that you have trouble with?

-K-

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2007, 11:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.