View Full Version : Normal and Bump map in Maya

valri22
03 March 2007, 02:35 AM
Does anybody know how to plug a normal map and bump map into a blinn shader in maya? I've got the normal map in the bump map place, and just switched the bump node to a tangent normals. Not sure if you can do a normal map and bump at the same time?

cage3d
04 April 2007, 06:22 PM
Use the normal map as bump map in Maya and on the bump 2d node find use as option set it to tangent space normals, or u can use the normal map by connecting in the connection editor i.e. out color with the normal camera.Hope this solves the problem.

hhh001
04 April 2007, 05:30 AM
u can do like this

valri22
04 April 2007, 05:58 AM
thanks a lot guys, I'll try that out! I was doing it for the dominance war contest so it's a little late for that but I'll still use it. appreciate it.

valri22
04 April 2007, 05:21 AM
Hey hhh001,

I'm not sure how to do what you have pictured here? I played with it in maya but could not get it to look like that. I got it close but it didn't render yet. Could you explain it step by step if you get the chance?

Thanks

hhh001
04 April 2007, 03:42 AM
Hey hhh001,

I'm not sure how to do what you have pictured here? I played with it in maya but could not get it to look like that. I got it close but it didn't render yet. Could you explain it step by step if you get the chance?

Thanks

valri22

it is more like multilayer bumps ,for example u want 2 layers bumps ,bumpA & bumpB .
u should connect bumpA(out normal) to bumpB(normal camera) ,then connect bumpB(out normal) to shading group(normal camera),then to lambret or blinn whatever.
so if u want normal map & bump at same time ,just turn bumpA to normal map(use as:bump-->turn to :tangent space normals),if u turn bumpB.it not work.

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2007, 03:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.