View Full Version : Ideas on how to make moss?

starving_artist
03 March 2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently working on a project that requires some close up shots of a model that has quite a bit of moss hanging from it. I originally thought about the obvious plane with a nice texure and alpha on it but im worried about losing those planes in a side shot of the model. I've also thought about possibly using hair/fur, but i really dont have any have experience with it. I'm using Maya 7 at the moment with acess to 8.5 (maybe ncloth?) anyways, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

lonnq
03 March 2007, 12:42 AM
I think you should try with some fur. It's not that difficult to set up and if you tweak it the rendering times shouldn't be that long. (unless it's a huge mass of course).

I recently had a go with the fur thing, without any earlier experience with it and after reading some in the manual and some trial and error it worked out great.
Good luck to you.

starving_artist
03 March 2007, 01:38 AM
thanks, ill see what i can come up with

Cameo
03 March 2007, 11:37 AM
Going back to your original idea about cards/planes you could try and stack them in a haphazard manner to conceal the lack of depth. Have you tried looking in Paintfx to see if theres anything in there? You might be able to use pfx in combination with cards to get the effect you desire.

starving_artist
03 March 2007, 12:34 PM
I did try to go through all the different brushes and find things that even remotely looked like what i was trying to achieve but i had'nt thought of using them in conjunction with planes. Thanks for the tip :) ill be sure to post some goodies when i finish up the project.

Cameo
03 March 2007, 01:12 PM
Yea you could use the pfx behind layered textured cards, that way you could get the look you require but the pfx would sell the illusion of depth if the camera ever got too close.

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2007, 01:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.