View Full Version : Question: Texturing Terrains

Ashe Tie'skar
03 March 2007, 03:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

I posted pretty much the same question in the MAX forums, but I would like some input from the general texturing public.

I am trying to learn more about texturing terrains. So far I have a heightmap I used with the displace modifier to create my basic mesh. I then went through and tweaked things where I wanted. Well.... now I have this nice looking terrain model and no texture and that is why I am here.

I am looking for techniques or ways of texturing a large terrain. I would like to use a method that would work in a game, preferably by an engine that will be developed by XNA.

Anyway, what are some methods people use? I have read about the blend material, but that is limited to 2 textures with 1 mask. How can I have 4 or more textures blended on a terrain, and create a road/path along the way?

It doesn't make sense to me to UVmap a huge terrain, but maybe that is what it comes down to.

Is the only way to accomplish this is to have a Scene Editor for the Engine that allows you to paint directly on the model or just UVMap the whole thing?

People talk about Texture Splatting, Texture Blending, etc, but those are mostly used by the engine to tile multiple textures across a terrain, which is exactly what I want, but that leaves me with the question - How do you create roads/paths on the terrain using these methods?? I think ideally this would be the best/fastest way, but I don't know how to create a road/path using these methods.

Thanks!

-Ashe

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2007, 03:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.