View Full Version : English Archer
03 March 2003, 09:47 PM
Here is a new character I started recently, an English Archer from the Middle Ages. The poly count (tris) is just under 1200. Modeling is done, texturing under way...
03 March 2003, 10:50 PM
Really nice model, but you said you wanted critiques, well i had to look at it a while and if there is anything the helmit may be a bit thin in relation to his face and the waist or knees may be a bit low (its difficult to say just where the waist is with the clothing but there is something there), but in the old days i guess they were more squat than now. the other thing is the bow looks like a more recent type, verging on a recurve rather than a longbow, where the ends dont curve out much, ok nit picking but i had to find something, great polycount for the detail and accessories too.
03 March 2003, 01:13 AM
looks pretty good so far! :thumbsup: ive made a draw over..
the lower leg should be thinner then the upper leg.. the ankles appear kinda fat. the wrists also appear at the wrong spot? either because of the glove or the poofy shirt thing. either way the elbow placement is correct but the wrist reads as its right next to the elbow. the knees should be thinner.. and higher. one other thing.. with the amount of polys your working with i dont know if id poof the upper leg out like that.. might look better to just taper it into the knee and spend the polys elsewhere.
nice work want to see textures! :beer:
03 March 2003, 01:58 AM
Hrmm the model looks real clean, but some of the proportions look weird to me.
The arms look a bit short (the elbow should rest at the hips when the arms down), hands a bit thin, and the knees have to be raised. Also the neck looks a little long, and the head could be a bit smaller, depending on how bulky the helmets sposed to be.
Good form for the count, just needs a bit of tweaking.
03 March 2003, 11:52 AM
Hi.. Just a couple of comments on the design.
English Archers used arrow bags as opposed to quivers. The bags were more useful for the archer, as arrows would fall out of the open top of the container. I can't find any images of an arrow bag, but it would be safe to assume that not much of the arrow would protrude from the top.
Gloves I think would get in the way of aiming the weapon.
On their left arm some archers would place a small piece of leather there to stop the bow cord from turning their forearm into a bloody mess. This would also break up symmetry in the model.
The construction of the mesh appears fairly good. I think you may be able to clean up some polies in some areas - the torso for example. For a 1200 poly model the details in the chest can be textured, with the polies moved into other areas to beef out the silhoutte.
Look forward to seeing what you get done with this :)
03 March 2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the critiques, people! Since you all seem to be picking out the same things I have adjusted the proportions accordingly. I made the legs longer (especially the lower leg) the head smaller, and the wrists thicker. Hopefully I'll be able to show a textured or semi-textured image soon.
MrHappyPants, thanks for the diagram. :)
Sorceror Bob, you made some great observations, however I created this model based on the concept illustration I was given.
Please keep the comments coming, I will have more to show soon. Muchas gracias,
03 March 2003, 10:51 AM
Since this model was for an art test and I've accepted a position with a different company, this archer is going to be put on the back burner for a while. Right now I'm busy dividing my time between learning 3DS Max to prep for my new job, and doing the dance of joy! At some point I'll come back to this guy and finish him.
01 January 2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.