XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Converting A Mudbox Model To 3DSMax

03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Figured someone here may find this useful.

Discusses how to export a model from max to mudbox, do your displacement, exports the basemesh and displacement map, and then render it using either the displace modifier or Mentalray's displacement...


- Neil

03-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks Neil, will keep this close to me. you can find me many time a week on your website reading over and over again things you wrote years back, thanks for the dedication.

have a nice day

03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
thanks :thumbsup: very useful

04-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Excellent stuff, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks champ

04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks a lot:thumbsup:

04-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Good tutorial, but i can't get it work right. Mudbox make the displacement map looks stranger, just like the attached image.
I suppose it was for an incorrect uv's but i try with a simple cilinder with "generate maping coordenates" on and it does bad too.
¿Can you help me?
Thank you very much!!

04-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry, your picture doesn't make much sense to me. Could you post a step by step what you're doing, and where it fails? Or maybe start a newer thread with the info so everyone can help out figuring what the problem is.

- Neil

04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
OK Neil, let's do it. Thanks!
I work with mudbox 1.0 and max 9
As I say, I follow your tutorial:
1.- I do a simple mesh with uvw map on it (image 1)
2.- export as .obj (image 2)
3.- import to mudbox, add 3 subdivide selection and displace (it seem like a fish!) (image 3)
4.- go to subdivision level 1, select object, and export as a .obj (image 4)
5.- texture baking -> new operation, and set settings as you see in image 5, then, start extraction map.
6.- map extraction finished without errors (good!) let's back to max, import .obj, convert to editable poly, apply smooth (smoothing group 1) and put gray material (image 6)
7.- I usually work with Vray, but in this example, I'm going to use the default scanline render and displace modifier, settings in image 7
8.- Image 8 is the displacement map (original in tiff) generated for mudbox and Image 9 is the render. As you can see, the result is not very good.

Hope you can read and help me
Thank you all for read me!

04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
next 3 images...

04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
and the last 3. Thank you again!

04-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Aplying a UVW Mapping modifier is just a starting point. You need to aply an Unwrapping modifier after this and tweak the UVs. Make sure there are no overlapping chunks and that the size is distributed evenly. Aplying a checker material(tiled about 10 or 20 times) is helpfull for UV work.

04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Yup, applying a box mapping modifier will result in a lot of overlapping uvs, which will result in all kinds of weirdness when you export from mudbox. As pd says, apply a uvw unwrap modifier after your uvwmapping modifier and adjust the uvs so there are no overlaps, and try the mudbox process again.

- Neil

04-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Thank you guys!, I will try it and then i tell you
I'm impatient for can do a small animation with a good mudbox model!
Thank you very much!

04-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Neil your website is amazing, thanks for putting all that information up!!

04-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Thanks to everyone who've given me positive comments on the tutorial.

- Neil

04-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi people!

I did my attempt after your comments and the result is better, but no perfect.
Attached is two images. One has the mudbox model and the edit uv's in unwrap, other has max displaced model and displacement map.
I put unwrap to my object and make sure was no overlappings, then do the tutorial again.
Watching the result i suppose i need to improve my uv's edition and the model will work correctly, isn't it?

Thank you Neil for your good tutorial and comments!
Pd: thanks too!

04-20-2007, 12:39 PM
It looks as if there is still some overlapping in the displacement map going on. The UVs don't show it though, which is odd.

Also, your mesh seems very low poly. I'm not sure whether this is the problem, but you might try to subdivide in Max one time(mesh/turbosmooth iteration 1) and export this mesh to mudbox.

04-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Ya, in the disp map I see a lot of large long polygons that seem to overlap. Maybe try unwrapping your mesh difefrently. Like for example, start with a spherical uvwmap. Then put your unwrap modifier ontop. Then select the uvs and relax it a few times. Or try the new pelt mapping feature inside max. And yes, subdividing your mesh maybe one more time may help. You can do this easily by exporting say your level 2 mesh out of mudbox, and then when exporting your displacement map, export the difference between your highest level and the level 2 mesh (as the tutorial describes).

- Neil

04-24-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the explaination Neil, I've just start zbrush and I would like to start mudbox too, I'll try this evening, and I hope all will run correctly ( lot of problems with zbursh)... I would like also to thanks you for your website... so helpful!
Thanks for all.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.