View Full Version : How to use the same UV for right limb & left limb?

AmadeuzQiriga
02 February 2007, 03:31 AM
I'm a beginner, still execising my skill in modelling + texturing on MAYA, but stuck at the point how to use the same UV for the right limb & left limb. Let's say we have a human model and I want to put the same texture for the right hand and left hand, and also right leg & left leg? What's the correct way of doing this? Pls teach me, thanks :shrug:

madart
02 February 2007, 08:20 AM
You "simply" let the UV's overlap.

If you're modelling only half of your charachter, then do your UV-mapping to half the character.Then duplicate the half and before you combine the two halves, only move the UV-shells that you do NOT want overlapped (mirrored) and don't touch the ones that you DO want overlapped. Then combine the two halves and place your UV-shells in their right position. Now you should have some UV-shells mirrored and some not.

Oh yes, merge the vertices of the two halves and then you merge the edges of the face shells and the two torso shells (in the UV editor).

Good Luck!

Edit: forgot to mention, you are aware that if you want to use normal mapping, don't mirror any UV's they won't render correctly. The light and shadowing will look as if it's coming from the other side.

AmadeuzQiriga
03 March 2007, 07:44 AM
thanks for the explanation, madart, but what can I do if I've already combined them?

madart
03 March 2007, 09:09 PM
There are a few ways of doing this from where you are now.

Have you already UV-mapped your character?

If you have, then you can select the edges between the torso and the arm and cut them in the UV-editor. Then flip the "arm-shell" and move it so that it overlaps the other arm. Do the same for the leg. (I'm a little tired right now, so I hope that I am "thinking correctly")

Hope that helps.

AmadeuzQiriga
03 March 2007, 08:46 AM
Alright, I got what you mean, I'll try it soon...:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2007, 08:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.