View Full Version : Texturing Challenges

Cameo
02 February 2007, 01:17 AM
Leigh may be the best one to answer this but I'll pose it to everyone.

In the same way as the modelling/lighting challenges, has there ever been mention of a texturing challenges forum? Would there be any/enough interest if there were texturing challenges?

I know the texturing forum isnt one of the hottest forums but I think the various challenges are a great way of developing peoples skills and for that alone would be of benefit to anyone who participated. Would be interesting to see peoples approaches to texturing the same model and their methods of research etc.

I suppose there is the maintenence of it by a forum leader but if it were 1 challenge a month or even bi-monthly it would only amount to 6/12 challenges a year.

Just seems like the one missing discipline from the challenges to me.

Any thoughts?

madart
02 February 2007, 08:12 AM
I would think it would be very interesting and fun to have texturing challenges.

Cameo brings up some very good points as to why we should have these challenges.

So what do the rest of you think? And Leigh?

leigh
02 February 2007, 08:23 PM
This subject has come up before. I think we decided against it initially because in order to have a texturing challenge, you need a model first. And to make the challenge worthwhile, it'd have to be a relatively decent model.

If we had a good supply of models I'd be more than happy to host texturing challenges.

madart
02 February 2007, 09:10 PM
Yes I have heard this discussion before, but there's nothing wrong with bringing it up again, like Cameo did, because it's a good idea.

I also thought of the problems with models, but I thought I would let you (Leigh) bring that up. I didn't want to write anything negative in my initial post.... :D

Maybe there is a modeller out there who would like to see his or her objects and characters textured in a variety of ways.

Cameo
02 February 2007, 11:11 PM
Yea I figured the models could be the bottleneck. I wonder if something could be done in conjunction with the modelling forum? Perhaps there would be some kind souls over there who would be willing to allow their models to be used. It's a shame really, I always get the feeling that texturing is somewhat under-represented on the forums.

How does Jeremy get his models for the lighting challenges? Are they his own or a combination of his own and donated models by CGtalk members?

leigh
02 February 2007, 11:40 PM
Yea I figured the models could be the bottleneck. I wonder if something could be done in conjunction with the modelling forum?

That actually sounds like a good plan, we should look into that.

How does Jeremy get his models for the lighting challenges? Are they his own or a combination of his own and donated models by CGtalk members?

That's a good question...

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2007, 11:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.