XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Background moves, object stays in place, How to make this effect?

02-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Its a thing you see alot these days in movies and videoclips etc...

You'll see a person standing in front of the camera and the background seems to be zooming in and the person seems to be standing still.

The way I would do it is shoot a person on bluescreen en composit over an zooming background.

But is this te way to do it? :lightbulb

Let me know,

02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
you mean that hitchcok kinda shot?

you usually do that by zooming in while you move the camera back (or the other way around).
you have to do it in a fashion that the foreground element stays the same size.. that gives that result..
doing it in 2 layers will be way easier i guess but hitchcock did not have computers back then :)

02-27-2003, 02:54 PM

And if hitchcok had computers his films would be as good as they ar now, I geuss :arteest:

03-07-2003, 02:07 AM
The shot your referring to is called a "rack-focus", the camera dollys and zooms at the same time.

03-07-2003, 08:42 AM

i am not a native speaker and missed that one :)

03-07-2003, 09:59 AM
I've just did what you said in 3dsmax and it works dolly in and zoom out... or the other way around... it both works, different... but it works!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.