View Full Version : another freak

02 February 2003, 06:48 PM
hey guys

Did this from start to finish in photoshop. Initially I was designing it as a splash page for me site but it didnt fit very well. I decided it might make decent wallpaper for a buddy of mine.

Let me know what you think. Its kind of a different style for me. Cant decide if I like it.

here is the big version if you guys want to DL it.

02 February 2003, 06:51 PM
I can definately decide that I like it! :D
Wow, very cool, and that blue eye! :thumbsup:
Where did you take your inspiration from?

02 February 2003, 07:10 PM
I am influenced by everything I look at.

It drives me nuts.

Recently I have been really checking John Mueller and of course, Brom. I also really like Jon Foster and Bisley.

So I am all over the board.

02 February 2003, 07:15 PM
btw. I like your homepage design a lot :thumbsup:

02 February 2003, 08:14 PM

your darks and lights really well placed..

02 February 2003, 09:52 PM
omg wow:eek: :buttrock:

really cool :thumbsup:

02 February 2003, 10:14 PM
whoa. that's the most solid piece of yours i've seen so far.. yup, different style, but incredible

02 February 2003, 01:29 AM
wow!,really cool allien!

nice works!

02 February 2003, 06:47 AM
damn dude,- awesome. if I was better at maya I take a stab at modeling it. but I`m not so I wont...

reminds me of phil hales work,- with the teeth an all

02 February 2003, 01:21 PM
that is insane! awsome, awsome work.

02 February 2003, 04:44 PM
nice work... :thumbsup:

02 February 2003, 12:39 AM
Really good, almost looks like a B&W picture

02 February 2003, 12:39 PM
f*** me thats cool, great colors, great effect :) I love it

02 February 2003, 09:11 PM
Wow man! this pic is so cool! all the lighting and shadow are
real cool and i cant believe u did it all in photoshop! I love u man!! :)

03 March 2003, 05:40 AM
wow.. hawkprey you never cease to amaze me... your fast becoming my favorite artist... a few more like that and your going to surpass brom whos on the top.. thats truly unique and amazing..

a request:
i would love to c a model sheet for this guy.. i know your very busy but if you could spare any time to it i would love you forever.. even if its real rough.. (really really rough)

im just hoping..

/me hopes.

hell you probably dont even have the time..

03 March 2003, 04:07 PM
Really love the right arm fore-arm gun... great perspective. I also like the scratched texture... is that a seperate layer or did you do that manually?

Overall I think the image is very strong, though I would think that some more solid areas of shadow that are obscuring detail would have helped. the lighting seems a little to even to me. You've got this happening just near the small of the back and on the left arm...

But I'm being picky here... really, great work.

03 March 2003, 07:04 PM
So the foot is eye level, and still you see the top of the shoulders/head?
Perspective's "off", I guess you could say, either that or he's some kind of contortionist. :)

Nice style though. Reminds me of Travis Charest's stuff somehow.

03 March 2003, 07:09 PM
Dai... I think that this guy is leaning into the camera, bending at the waste a bit so as to expose the top of his shoulder and head... I don't think he's standing straight at all... certainly if he was you'd be bang on.... least that's how I read the image....

03 March 2003, 07:11 PM
I can't see a problem with the perspective...

03 March 2003, 07:23 PM
I'm not going to start bickering about this, but no amount of "bending at the waste" can create that kind of perspective.
The foot is very close to the camera - virtually a frog's perspective, but as soon as you get to the knee, the perspective's broken.

Mistakes like these are pretty easy to make when you're drawing on a PC though.

03 March 2003, 07:29 PM
I agree... lets not bicker... that being said I think what really is going on is what you might be percieving as extreme fore-shortening on the feet which would naturally mean that the upper body would be tapering away from there. I think what's happening is the feet have that 'super wide' look that is all the rage, sort-of that 'skater-shiek' pant leg look... It's a tough visual problem to solve and maybe this image hasn't been that succesful in your mind...

Anyhow... it's great to hear other 'perspective' ( :D ) on these type of things...

03 March 2003, 10:25 PM
Would KILL for a tutoria on some of the techniques you use.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.