View Full Version : Antenna and mirroring object help!
02 February 2007, 04:45 AM
Been working on a "scout tank" just for some fun and practice. It is my first real model and I have a couple things I am having trouble with. I am using Maya 8.
1) I want to get the tank tread to the other side, but I cannot get it to face the right direction. I duplicate it, but the detail will no longer face outside the tank. How can I mirror it to the other side?
2)I want to make an antenna that is bent backwards like antennas on HUMVEES
Thanks in advance!
02 February 2007, 05:35 AM
I'm assuming your using Maya from the look of your interface from your screenies. I'm also going to assume that your tank is semetrical and centered properly on its axis.
To get a quick nice mirror for your wheels try doing the following:
1.) Select all the parts that you want to mirror.
2.) Group them (crtl+g shortcut)
3.) Duplicate them (ctrl+d shortcut)
4.) In your channel box (the right had side of the screen) you want to change the scale of your new duplicate group to -1. Assuming you are working so your model is mirrored around the x axis, you want to change the ScaleX attribute from 1 to -1
That should mirror for you nicely.
Your second issue with the antenna is also easily solved.
To get a quick shape to extrude along your curve try the following:
1) Make a cylinder, give it your desired amount of edges around and scale it to size.
2) Position it so that one of the faces of your cylinder is at the beginning of your curve.
3) Jump into face mode and select the face you positioned up against the curve, and then select the curve itself.
4) Hit extrude face.
5) Now that you have extruded your face you want to have a look in your channel box, select the polyExtrudeFace in the inputs and then scroll down until you find the "Divisions" attribute. Keep upping that number until you have your desired shape.
Note: You can also fiddle with the taper attribute which will make your antenna taper in towards its end.
I hope this helps,
02 February 2007, 06:25 AM
OK, I finally got it mirrored to the other side. Thanks for that.
To the antenna; I was unable to get the desired effect. I attached another picture of what I was trying to accomplish, in case I was not descriptive enough. Extuding the face to the curve gives me giant fan-like blades. Do I need Poly, NURB, SUB? Thanks again.
02 February 2007, 06:38 AM
You want to be using polygons.
Perhaps this will help.
02 February 2007, 07:21 AM
Finally, I have the desired look. Thanks a bunch. I ran into one problem that I somehow fixed. I selected the faces of the cylinder, but it would not left me shift-click the curve. Would you happen to know why? I tried many times and could not; luckily I had an older version saved and it let me click that one. The older version showed the dots from the curve (which still appear now) whereas the newer one did not. Oh well. Thank you for the help (especially the pictures).
02 February 2007, 09:04 AM
No problem glad I could help.
One more useful tip, if your not too happy with the shape of your antena after you have built it. If you havnt deleted the history on the object, you should be able to change the shape of the curve and it will change the shape of your object.
02 February 2007, 09:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.