View Full Version : Does this exist?

02 February 2007, 07:24 PM
I am looking for a tool for use in Photoshop (PS). I hope this is not already in the program, but I am hoping that perhaps it exists as a plug-in or something because I could use it in so many situations. Please don't suggest the Liquify as it is not accurate enough for my uses (unless someone knows how to make it so). My tool is a modification of the Free Transform. I will describe it and my use, but I have also included an illustration because I think that it will get my point across much better. I need a step based transformation tool. If I have a photo of a figure for modeling reference and I would like to alter the proportions to that of another figure it would be very usefull. As of now, I cut it into sections and squash and stretch it manually and then piece it back togther. I would like to stretch and squash with handles with a grid density that can be changed. I would also like this to be workable in the x and the y. The illuatration is below (I know the Liquify Grid is very similar but not quite what I need).

Thank You

02 February 2007, 07:42 PM
I just realized, the tool would be like the Transform/Warp but with adjustable density.

02 February 2007, 08:35 PM
For anyone else searching for this same type of tool, I did find something called Squizz. Any suggestions other than this? Has anyone used Squizz that could give a little review?

02 February 2007, 11:09 PM
I do it with Illustrator mesh warp distort tool. But if you don't use Illustrator, tad more complicated.

02 February 2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion mlkdesign, it's the type of tool I'm looking for, but it updates so slowly and I can't maintain transparency during manipulation, but I am using Illustrator CS, perhaps they fixed the slow update and transparency issue in a newer version? Anyone know? I would still prefer to do this in PS. I know Squizz 4.4 will do what I want, but I think they are over-charging considering the simplicity of it.

Any more suggestions?

02 February 2007, 01:22 AM
I didn't know AI didn't handle transparency (especially with png). Worst case scenario, save you base image, an alpha map, and apply the distortion to both (yes, bit hefty a workaround)

I'd like to know about such a plug-in for photoshop as well. Maybe other software ? PSP, Gimp, Corel Draw ?

02 February 2007, 12:44 PM
I do it with Illustrator mesh warp distort tool. But if you don't use Illustrator, tad more complicated.
Does Illy do this with bitmap images too, or just with vector paths created dirctly in the program?
Can I place a PSD file and have it warped distorted or mesh warped in Illy?

BTW, After Effects Pro has a mesh warp too, where you can set the density of the grid.
A fast distortion tool with many options, (output to movie etc) but without lots of control, is KPT 6 Goo plugin, or if anyone around still has the classic Kai PowerGoo.
Use it regularily...

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2007, 12:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.