LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : help: Triangle faces to 4 sided polys

01-29-2007, 04:41 PM
I got a question for 3ds max. Not sure if I can be clear about it, but here goes....

I downloaded a low poly character model and when I opened the file, the mesh is in 'editable mesh' and is displaying triangle faces from head to toe. I for sure know it was modeled using 4 sided polys and then some way converted so that the triangle edges would appear. I just want to check out how the character was modeled, but the triangles are in the way. Is there an option or something I can turn off to convert back to seeing 4 sided polys?

All I know is that I went to surface modifier in the tab, selected the edges and hit invisible and it didn't work. That options seems to hide the cutted edges of the tris instead.

02-01-2007, 01:04 AM
It is possible that your viewport renderer is set to Direct 3D. This mode shows triangles all the time. Have a look in the preferences section, under viewports.

Cheers :D

02-05-2007, 07:29 AM
You can select the model then right click and choose "covert to editable poly" and it should convert all those triangles to quads. This often happens to me when I import an .obj file.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2007, 07:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.