View Full Version : odd turbosmooth effect on female head
01 January 2007, 11:39 PM
I have been spline modeling a female head in 3ds Max 7 and am about to start adding detail. I added an edit mesh modifyer and then turbosmooth and got an odd and undesireable effect. There are a sort of geometric ripples in the enitire face. I have uploaded a render of what happened. THe wireframe render would seem to be the most helpful in determining the problem. If anyone could help it would be great as I have been at a stand still.
01 January 2007, 01:56 AM
Oh man , seeing that wireframe without a doubt you'll have a very awfull result with a meshsmooth. how did you get that mesh pattern if i may ask ?
For a start connect the vertecies as shown in the picture (cyan line) then collapse the 6 verticies into one (circled area).
You have to repeat this process for the whole mesh.
01 January 2007, 02:45 AM
The mesh you are looking at was caused the the turbosmooth. The original mesh which I am posting here I made from watching a video tutorial, then added an edit mesh, then a mesh smooth. Thank you for the help, but do you know what caused the mesh smooth the react this way? Mabe I can fix the problem in spline mode before applying the mesh smooth. Or at least not make the same mistake again.
01 January 2007, 02:46 AM
Sorry here are the original splines I was working with.
01 January 2007, 03:46 AM
There's some missing informations here , how did you start modeling you mesh (spline, patch,poly), why did you add an edit mesh (we are talking about the modifier ,right?), there's no way to have a turbosmoothed mesh with that pattern (because the wire looks clean, maybe) unless something went wrong in the very first modeling process (duplicate verticies/edges.....).
Try to collapse your mesh by converting it ot an editable poly and turbosmooth it ,see if something changes, but before doing that select all of your verticies and press "weld".
I might be wrong , i'm just throwing a guess here.
01 January 2007, 11:00 PM
Sorry for the late reply but I have been busy this week.
I started the model as a spline. I have been following a tutorial and thats the way it was done. I added an editable mesh modifyer, then a turbosmooth modifyer and that was the result.
I tried welding the vertices and that didn't help. It is definitly something to do with the way I am making the splines as I tried again from the start and got the same result. I start with the eye by making an oval line and connecting to the first point. Then I go to spline mode and hold down shift and scale upward. Then I do a cross section. I think it is in this process that the error occurs.
01 January 2007, 12:46 AM
Basiclly what is happening is when I convert the face to an editable mesh it is creating many more vertices than the onces I created. I just have to figure out why...
01 January 2007, 02:54 AM
Instead of using edit mesh mod try using the "surface" modifier and see.
Generally my workflow when using splines :
Here's a good tutorial using splines (http://damascus.com.ne.kr/temp/AngelinaJolieSplineHeadTutorial.pdf) by Song Hwasup (aka NeverSong).
Hope this somehow helps.
02 February 2007, 03:08 PM
Holy crap man. I finally figured it out thanks to you!! It was so simple too. The problem was with the spline interpolation and surface topology. They default to 5 or 6 and the tutorial you gave me said to set it to 0. So I did this and it totally fixed the problem! Thank you so much. I could have modeled 20 faces and they all came out the same way. Thanks again!!
02 February 2007, 03:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.