View Full Version : Modelling a Gun For Games

lashy
01 January 2007, 12:36 PM
hi all
As modelling for games involve very serious low poly tricks, i need help on one of those tricks.
I am using 3ds max 8. I am modelling a gun which is suppose to be low-ploy, so I want to know whether do i use any smoother like Turbosmooth or Meshsmooth or use smoothing groups to remove those visible hard edges and to make it look smooth.
As using Turbosmooth adds a lot of polys which defeats the purpose of Low-Poly, and by using smoothing groups, the edges doesnt gets enough smooth.

So Is there any other way to make the model look smooth and also is Low poly.
Please Help !

Cgeers
Lashy

scrimski
01 January 2007, 01:13 PM
Add edges in the direction of the round surfaces by hand.

lashy
01 January 2007, 01:36 PM
thanks for replyin scrimski
but i didnt get it, could you please explain in more detail.

Spiegel
01 January 2007, 05:08 PM
I think that what he's trying to say is that you should simulate the round parts by cutting the polygons and not by using a modifier. If you use a Turbosmooth os meshsmooth the polygon number will increase a lot. And here is a tip for you: You don't have to create a highdetailed model (in game parameters of course) you can create like a relatively simple model but with a nice looking texture. The texture helps a lot, keep that in mind.
Good luck!

lashy
01 January 2007, 05:41 PM
thanks spiegel for your suggestion
i agree, texture is the key, but im not that good in texturing,
so, i basically wanted to make a clay model without texture, but a low poly one.

digital_babu
01 January 2007, 02:05 AM
http://tutorials.moddb.com/16/beretta-9000-video-tutorial/

This is an excellent link to an extensive video tutorial on modelling a low-poly pistol.

BenDstraw
01 January 2007, 07:52 AM
chamfer the edges and make cuts at key areas to get the effect you want. it will help smooth things out without adding to many polys.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2007, 07:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.