View Full Version : RayFire Tool

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

THarland
08 August 2011, 02:52 PM
So it will have both?

JohnnyRandom
08 August 2011, 04:28 PM
Why remove something that works?

Personally having choices is the best option IMO. Guaranteed there will be times (when you learn the quirks of both physics engines) that you will choose one over the other.

A step in the right direction. :)

THarland
08 August 2011, 09:05 PM
Why remove something that works?

Personally having choices is the best option IMO. Guaranteed there will be times (when you learn the quirks of both physics engines) that you will choose one over the other.

A step in the right direction. :)Don't get me wrong, I totally agree. ;)

JohnnyRandom
08 August 2011, 10:04 PM
haha sorry Todd, I just reread that post I didn't mean it to sound like it does, ah hell I don't know what I meant but I wasn't trying to be a dick :D

THarland
08 August 2011, 11:06 PM
haha sorry Todd, I just reread that post I didn't mean it to sound like it does, ah hell I don't know what I meant but I wasn't trying to be a dick :D
No worries, I didn't take it like that. :D
I edited my original post 'cause I didn't realize I may have come across like I was suggesting Physx should be tossed out.
The more options the better.
I'm even hoping to see some PhysBAM in Max's future as well.

jimmy4d
08 August 2011, 11:26 AM
Well, not for too long, to be honest I don't like all these delays as well and don't get me wrong, Physx is a pretty good engine and plugin itself is good but dependency sometimes killing me, so... Bullet is on it's way. ;)

Nice.. I do like to have an option when learning this...thanks Mir :)

Mafx
08 August 2011, 07:01 AM
Hey all,

I ask this question not actually owning Rayfire but after being steered to it by someone in an email exchange. I have found the various how to quicktimes on here for Rayfire usage which I am looking through at the moment and it looks all very powerful and the applications for it are really filling my mind :)

In relation to the Fume workflow, I am not finding much of this info around other than a lot of people use it. Is it simply a matter of using the fragments from the RF fracture in an object source for Fume. For example, a classic column collapse. If I were to facture so the lower third of it, would all those fractured pieces be added to the object source in fume and when they become active in RF the fume effect for them kicks in?

Like I said I am asking this without having the plugin so bear with me, just trying to get my mind around the basics of a Rayfire / Fume final effect.

Cheers.

Mafx
08 August 2011, 11:57 PM
Another question based on trawling the thread. Is there a way to limit the fracture to a part of an object. For example, a plane comes in contact with an object and only the wing tip is getting destroyed and physics deals with the rest of the hull.. I can see about fracturing a whole object but fracturing a whole plan would add a lot of poly to a mesh. I cannot seem to see a fracture by selection or the like.
Is this sort of thing achievable?

THarland
08 August 2011, 01:01 AM
To your fist question I would spawn particles from the fragments inside faces and use them to drive FFX; you could also include them so that they influence the motion of the sim but aren't actually emitting from the outer faces.
As for limiting fracturing to certain parts, it's probably best to do it manually (by modeling) for the most artistic control but you can do it with Rayfire by using some of the various features such as the draw fragment mode.

Rayjo571
08 August 2011, 12:58 AM
I have two questions:
Is multithreaded fragmentation possible with rayfire 1.55 and the newest physx version with interactive demolition?
and the second : It seems that fragmenting shelled geometry(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ1793kCUtE) doesn´t work with rf 1.55 . Will it works in the next version?

Mafx
08 August 2011, 06:12 AM
Hey THarland.

Thanks for the info. To spawn particles from the RF fragments, seeing they are keyframed after the sim, is it just a simple matter of starting the birth event from the time when the fragmentation starts and then use a 'surface' emition.. or do you actually have some sort of PF event to trigger the particle emission?

Thanks for your assistance.

S.

THarland
08 August 2011, 07:50 AM
Hey THarland.

Thanks for the info. To spawn particles from the RF fragments, seeing they are keyframed after the sim, is it just a simple matter of starting the birth event from the time when the fragmentation starts and then use a 'surface' emition.. or do you actually have some sort of PF event to trigger the particle emission?

Thanks for your assistance.

S.You can specify a material ID under the advanced fragmentation options rollout when you fragment then use that ID to spawn from. ;)

Mafx
08 August 2011, 10:52 AM
ok I think I am nearly there. I went with adding a copy of the fracture objects into Fume so the smoke emits from the internal faces. As you can see from the attachment that is 'almost' right.

The problem is the smoke emits from every face as soon as the smoke triggers. Is there a way to build an event so only when the fracture objects are moving the smoke (or particle for the smoke) will appear. As you can see by the render in the image, there is smoke at the base before anything actually moves?

THarland
08 August 2011, 11:49 AM
Are you emitting particles on the faces and using them as a source in FFX?
If so, you could set it up so that the faces don't actually emit particles until they are moving.
They should also have some movement to them as opposed to sticking on the fragments.
Maybe you should continue this line of questioning in either the FFX or PFlow thread for the sake of keeping the forum tidy since it seems your Rayfire questions have been answered.

Mafx
08 August 2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks, I am sort of on the right track with this one now.

Mafx
08 August 2011, 11:58 PM
Hey,

I am looking through various examples of work and trying some simple Rayfire effects but am not gettting the expected results on two fronts.
1) I have a basic tower created that I have fractured and then I have another object that moves down to touch the top of it to start the tower crumbling down. I have an object in teh PhysX Simulation Properties tab which is animated, the Activate by Geometry and relevant deactivate check boxes are correct. When the object hits the fracture objects there is always a little bit too much bounce in the fracture objects so it seems like that jump up and then fall. I have turned the Motion Inheritance to 0 and set up the fracture objects to be concrete with a high density but I still can't make the crumble just fall down as you would expect and not have the objects.. jump around a bit first.. they seem to be reacting to the collision object but not sure why.

2) The classic shot you see in game trailers where something lands on the ground and breaks the concrete.. you see the ground crack and break but not fly up everywhere. I am not sure how to make them not fly around when say a sphere lands on a fractured box area (for the ground). I have tried to put a non yielding object just a fraction above the ground so when the fractments break (when the sphere hits) the move up and hit the unyeilding object and do not raise into the air.. that didn't really work as they sort of bounced between the ground plane and the unyeilding object.

I hope this is clear and someone is able to offer some assistance.

Cheers

S.

adom86
08 August 2011, 12:53 AM
Hey,

I am looking through various examples of work and trying some simple Rayfire effects but am not gettting the expected results on two fronts.
1) I have a basic tower created that I have fractured and then I have another object that moves down to touch the top of it to start the tower crumbling down. I have an object in teh PhysX Simulation Properties tab which is animated, the Activate by Geometry and relevant deactivate check boxes are correct. When the object hits the fracture objects there is always a little bit too much bounce in the fracture objects so it seems like that jump up and then fall. I have turned the Motion Inheritance to 0 and set up the fracture objects to be concrete with a high density but I still can't make the crumble just fall down as you would expect and not have the objects.. jump around a bit first.. they seem to be reacting to the collision object but not sure why.

2) The classic shot you see in game trailers where something lands on the ground and breaks the concrete.. you see the ground crack and break but not fly up everywhere. I am not sure how to make them not fly around when say a sphere lands on a fractured box area (for the ground). I have tried to put a non yielding object just a fraction above the ground so when the fractments break (when the sphere hits) the move up and hit the unyeilding object and do not raise into the air.. that didn't really work as they sort of bounced between the ground plane and the unyeilding object.

I hope this is clear and someone is able to offer some assistance.

Cheers

S.

Maybe for the second point to do it a simpler way could be to just prefrag the ground and then use a displace mod on a 'ground plane' that has an animated texture to displace up or down. Just skin wrap frags to displaced ground plane.

Then do secondary particle debris to give little bits flying up :D

There are other ways you can do it of course and its late and i'm tired, so it might be a bad way to do it :P

Tollman
08 August 2011, 02:50 PM
I just got latest beta version of Physx plugin 2.6 for Max 2012 and tested it.
Interactive Demolition and Force affection works well just like before.
New build should be available on next week.
any news about the updates?

robinb
08 August 2011, 01:35 PM
Yes I'd like to know too. We're moving over to Max 2012 and I need it to work with Physx 2.6.

mir-vadim
08 August 2011, 05:45 PM
A couple of days ago I talked with four Nvidia guys about latest Physx, and they promised that it will be released at the end of this week for sure.

For now to calm you a little bit let me show you first Bullet support in RayFire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=vExLLdy_dcM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCUTmaOhQig

jdrouse
08 August 2011, 06:25 PM
Thats great work Mir! I guess this means we can use classic RF fractures, instead of voronoi and without concave intersection explosions. I'm absolutely sick of seeing Voronoi fractures everywhere you look.

JohnnyRandom
08 August 2011, 06:49 PM
Bah.. Bah...... Bah........ BULLET! Woohoo!

mir-vadim
08 August 2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah, you right, I tested it with good old ProBoolean noisy frag types and everything works correctly, no explosions, no jitter.

I specially created this new demo to show this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0iISxkXTxc

Tollman
08 August 2011, 07:13 PM
Superawesome indeed!

bullet implementation looks awesome, cant wait to get my fingers all over this.

Thanks for sharing!

PexElroy
08 August 2011, 09:43 PM
Awesome Mir - you've added Bullet :drool:
(TP5 will offer Bullet Physics too)

robinb
08 August 2011, 11:46 PM
Looks great. I could really use that.

jdrouse
09 September 2011, 10:53 PM
in response to the proboolean vid: hell effin yeah! back in business!
well done.

Strob
09 September 2011, 11:49 PM
Cool great news! Can't wait to try that!

jimmy4d
09 September 2011, 12:32 AM
wow .......I,...mean, wow..... :bounce:

tool2heal
09 September 2011, 04:28 AM
Frags with noise. oh hell yea.
i wanna see how well the wood splinters
hold together now :)

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 10:08 AM
FINALLY it is released. :)
http://physxinfo.com/news/6093/new-2-61-physx-plug-in-released-supports-3ds-max-2012/

New RayFire build will be available via Automatic Update system in About Menu in Monday.

luxeomni
09 September 2011, 12:54 PM
GREAT NEWS !
Do we have to download the new physx version ?

PsychoSilence
09 September 2011, 02:21 PM
Mir posted at the physx website:
"New RayFire build with full support will be available in Monday, September 12 via automatic update system in About menu."

Hope that clears it :)

Steve Green
09 September 2011, 04:20 PM
If Mir's reading, the update process fails on both 2010 and 2011 - don't think there's been a problem before with the auto update...

Thanks,

Steve

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 04:45 PM
Hmm, looks like this problem happens only on Max 2012.
Trying to find out what causing it.

EDIT: Yep, I was wrong, not Max 2012 problem.

Tollman
09 September 2011, 04:47 PM
i'm using 2011 x64, and my update fails as well :(

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 05:16 PM
Ok, problem is fixed, you can get it now.

Steve Green
09 September 2011, 05:46 PM
Cool - all done.

Cheers Mir

Tollman
09 September 2011, 06:11 PM
i hate to be the one to shit on this parade, but i'm having loads of issues right here.
First of all, i get an unknown system exception if i choose convex or concave objects, (only box or sphere works), secondly, home grid as ground seem to be ignored, continued simulation is a no go, at the first sim frame, the object is at zero velocity, disregarding any animation, and i would have wanted the pro boolean wood splinters to actually work in local space, not in world space. thats about it for now..

:cry:

I use max 2011 x64
NVIDIA_PhysX_Plug-in_3dsMax2011_x64_WithAPEX_2.61.0906.0900.msi <-- with this physx plugin

I really hope i have made something deeply wrong here so I can fix it.

Steve Green
09 September 2011, 06:31 PM
No problems with exceptions here - however I can't get the interactive demolition to work at all - it's been 6 months+ since I've used RF, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or a change in how it works?

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 07:30 PM
First of all, i get an unknown system exception if i choose convex or concave objects, (only box or sphere works), secondly, home grid as ground seem to be ignored, continued simulation is a no go, at the first sim frame, the object is at zero velocity, disregarding any animation, and i would have wanted the pro boolean wood splinters to actually work in local space, not in world space. thats about it for now..
Sorry, seems like some Bullet stuff was not removed. Don't worry everything will be fixed.

EDIT: Ground problem is fixed, initial velocity bug found as well and ill be fixed soon, but Wood splinter are ok, and I can sim object using Convex and concave sim mesh. If anyone else have the same problem please let me know.

Tollman
09 September 2011, 07:41 PM
cool! you are the man!

Steve Green
09 September 2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks Mir.

Cheers

Steve

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 09:33 PM
Ok, Build 1.56.01 is ready. Problem with ground and initial velocity should be fixed.
Anyone have any other problems?

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 10:50 PM
Build 1.56.02 which fixes Unknow System Exception is available as well.

Tollman
09 September 2011, 07:34 AM
yay!
the wood splinters work! :applause:

on the sad side, the convex and concave still give me an error, both at home and at work. :cry:

the objects detects the ground, but the ground acts as quicksand and the objects sink through. (some kind of stepping)

the initial velocity works for movement, but the rotation is off if the object isn't at zero rotation at simulation start :cry:

i use this file, and in the "about physX" it sais it's a beta.. is it the wrong physx i have installed?
NVIDIA_PhysX_Plug-in_3dsMax2011_x64_WithAPEX_2.61.0906.0900.msi

This will be sooo awesome if theese things work.

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 09:27 AM
PhysX version is correct.
Thanks for reporting, I will work further on fixes, very weird.

Can you send me scene which shows you error with convex and concave meshes? I just can't reproduce this error.

Tollman
09 September 2011, 09:57 AM
i sent you a mail with the file since i don't know any easy way to attach files here.

adom86
09 September 2011, 10:18 AM
Im using the demo and trying the concave mesh with a cylinder in the middle and 'doughnuts' falling down onto cylinder. Crashes max quite a lot, not sure if thats an issue or just my machine! :D

Updated to latest version.

tool2heal
09 September 2011, 01:37 PM
Am i correct in thinking bullet isn't implemented yet, meaning concave meshes shouldn't be working like that? (sticks and donuts). Cause there is no bullet plugin available for max besides some disney thing that i cant even find called dynamica.

And the first thing i tried obviously was fragmenting with noise, and im still getting explosions unless glue is activated.

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 01:40 PM
RayFire will provide Bullet in version 1.6
For now Physx generate composite mesh for concave objects, this is not actual simulated mesh but simplified geometry combined with a bunch of convex meshes.

wxyz
09 September 2011, 07:55 PM
Great this is back on track.. Been getting this error message:

DLL<:\Program Files\Autodesk\3DS Max 2012\ plugins\RFPlugin_x86.gup> is not made for this version of the program- not loading

mir-vadim
09 September 2011, 08:34 PM
Looks like you installed wrong version.

zheng
09 September 2011, 09:23 AM
please release rf1.6 asap
im still having problem/max crash/max script error with 1.55 and 1.56

wxyz
09 September 2011, 03:41 PM
Looks like you installed wrong version.

It's working on my 64 bit rig. Will remove and reinstall

PexElroy
09 September 2011, 07:19 PM
Yea, i have 1.56 going, but I prefer 1.6 w/ bullet ;)

For some reason I have strange bugs in 1.56 and slow performance, in 3ds max 2012 x64.

ddustin
09 September 2011, 08:33 PM
Where can we get the latest version of physx?
Isnt there a max specific Physx download (sorry have been away from Rayfire for a while)..
Thanks,
David

takhachhe
09 September 2011, 08:19 AM
Hey

from where should I download physx 2.6 for 3dsmax 2011 x64.. and where do I find initial velocity in rayfire.. Since mir vadin keeps on writing he fixed the initial velocity..

ThallDesign
09 September 2011, 08:09 PM
Hey

from where should I download physx 2.6 for 3dsmax 2011 x64.. and where do I find initial velocity in rayfire.. Since mir vadin keeps on writing he fixed the initial velocity..

Initial velocity comes from keyframing. Example: Keyframe a sphere on frame zero at the origin, move to frame 10 and move the sphere on the X axis, set keyframe.

Now tell Rayfire to start simulating in between frame 1, and 9, and it will take the velocity it was currently traveling at with the keyframed animation and let Rayfire take over with dynamics. So if you simulate at frame 1, when it was just starting it's movement it would be going slowly. If you started the sim at frame 6, when the sphere was at near maximum velocity it would move much faster when Rayfire took over. This works with Impact objects only, Unyielding objects will retain their keyframe movements and will never be "taken over" by Rayfire.

This is useful because sometimes you just want to fling something at a wall and see what happens, and other times somebody is standing over your shoulder telling you exactly what should happen, so both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. The best approach is probably a mix of the two but I'd love Mir to chime in, there may now be an initial velocity feature similar to the one in PDI.

Steve Green
09 September 2011, 11:44 AM
Just a heads up - the new 2012 SP2 breaks Rayfire - or the rayfire patch breaks the SP...

I get a duplicate ID in physx.dlm - not sure which one is the correct one.

There's a physx.en-us.dlm in another folder - I tried deleting the first physx.dlm and it doesn't give me a duplicate ID error, but I still get an error loading px_loader.ms, and an unknown exception error when I try to run a sim in Rayfire.

Not sure what needs tweaking to fix this.

Thanks,

Steve

iceman32
09 September 2011, 08:31 AM
Regarding RayFire

Do I really NEED to have PhysX plugins installed to make it work as it supposed to?
In max 2012, we have MassFX, isn't that the same?
Can't Mir upgrade RayFire to support MassFX instead?
Think PhysX installer messes up my system and get rid of all MassFX files in max.

THarland
09 September 2011, 06:26 PM
Think PhysX installer messes up my system and get rid of all MassFX files in max.It gets replaced....this minor 2.6+ release is supposed to resolve compability issues with RayFire, and also add support for 3ds Max 2012. In this case, plug-in installs above default MassFX simulation tool, replacing it and providing additional features, like support for APEX Clothing (and if you’ll uninstall PhysX plug-in, MassFX will be restored).

wxyz
09 September 2011, 07:16 PM
Just a heads up - the new 2012 SP2 breaks Rayfire - or the rayfire patch breaks the SP...

There's a physx.en-us.dlm in another folder - I tried deleting the first physx.dlm and it doesn't give me a duplicate ID error, but I still get an error loading px_loader.ms, and an unknown exception error when I try to run a sim in Rayfire.

Thanks,

Steve

Check Autodesk Area for a fix...

benhacking
10 October 2011, 10:57 PM
problem fixed

huschi
10 October 2011, 09:06 AM
Would you mind to tell us how you did it?

benhacking
10 October 2011, 11:49 AM
Would you mind to tell us how you did it?

there was a bug with my rayfire had to update it, but to render i just baked the sim and didnt hit stop or rewind on the rayfire tab i just let it play to the end, then only touched the timeline options and didnt hit play/pause/stop on the rayfire tab again. Now it's baked to my timeline and i can render it how i like.

huschi
10 October 2011, 05:55 AM
an absolute clean system, the recommended Physx Version, the newest Pluginupdate and stil the same f... system exception Error when starting the simplest (ball/Floor) setup.

Whats wrong?

Tollman
10 October 2011, 07:08 AM
an absolute clean system, the recommended Physx Version, the newest Pluginupdate and stil the same f... system exception Error when starting the simplest (ball/Floor) setup.

Whats wrong?

it might be the same issue i had, system exception immediately when pressing play?
do you have thinking particles installed?
because after some chatting with the nvidia tech guys we found that the physx plugin clashes with the physx function in TP, so if you have TP installed, uninstall it and reinstall it without physx enabled particles.
Or wait until the new physx release comes out which should fix this.

philipho
10 October 2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Green

Thanks,

Steve

I managed to get rid of the problem by re-installing PhysX 2.61 after getting SP2

Stresspill
10 October 2011, 07:07 AM
What PhysX dll I should use with Rayfire. Now I have 2.8.4 in 3dsmax and when used with demolish option I get an error in rayfire.

PsychoSilence
10 October 2011, 01:46 PM
2.61 with the latest rayfire.

Stresspill
10 October 2011, 02:33 PM
I have been waiting for 2 days to get the user account activated for nvidia developer center so I could get that version of the plugin.

In frustration I managed to simulate the fracture I need with massFX using rayfire to chop my geometry to pieces but now I have a crashing file and one day wasted again. Nice :banghead:

huschi
10 October 2011, 07:54 AM
in any configuration I get the by now famous error: system exception.

Isn't there really no Solution?

(2012, latest rayfire, in the long run Physx 2.61 for 3dsmax)

slowly I become tired and think about to buy DMM....

mir-vadim
10 October 2011, 06:19 PM
ok, just got email from Nvidia.
They finished with Physx 2.7 which fixes problem with max 2012 SP2 and it will be released tomorrow of after a couple of days.

First beta of next RayFire version with Bullet will be ready on Monday. Anyone who interested in testing it, please email me.

I am sorry for all troubles you have, guys, but this is just not in my power to fix all this mess with physx\massfx. Soon all these problems with miscommunication between Nvidia and Autodesk will not be such important for RayFire development.

fireknght2
10 October 2011, 09:45 PM
Mir your doing a great job! Dealing with the big boys makes it difficult at best, and your doing your best to keep up with the changes.

Rich

huschi
10 October 2011, 07:07 AM
word, just relax and wait

huschi
10 October 2011, 11:49 AM
ok, figured out whats happen with this system exception. In earnest it has to do with TP where PhysX is enabled.
Hmm, hopefully this bug will dissapear with the newest libraries from the Nvidia Guys.

wxyz
10 October 2011, 02:15 PM
Looking forward to the update. Nvidia keeps losing my password and email.

mir-vadim
10 October 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi, 1.59 beta is ready for tests.
Anyone who emailed me about beta test, please do this again, my beta test email box folder was crashed and I lost all testers email. Sorry for that.

wxyz
10 October 2011, 02:19 PM
Does the Beta require the latest Phys-X drivers?

PsychoSilence
10 October 2011, 02:59 PM
Does the Beta require the latest Phys-X drivers?

Not if you want to use the Bullet Engine :D
I personally don't even have physx installed on my testing max environment.

ThallDesign
10 October 2011, 09:05 PM
I personally don't even have physx installed...

Oh what a dream to dream...

nidhogge242
10 October 2011, 09:38 AM
Heya,

While this might not be rayfire specific I figured that the people who use Rayfire would have a solution to my problems.

Whenever I split up a rounded object (such as a Torus Knot) the normals on the edges of the frags get a bit messed up so smoothed objects look a bit "lumpy".

How do you guys deal with things like this?

cheers,

.patrick

wxyz
10 October 2011, 03:43 PM
Not if you want to use the Bullet Engine :D
I personally don't even have physx installed on my testing max environment.
Oh Happy Day

wxyz
10 October 2011, 04:03 PM
Where can I reach you to apply for the Beta? What is the last stable combination using PhysX

Thanks

wxyz
10 October 2011, 08:06 PM
RF155 right?

Strob
10 October 2011, 08:12 PM
Hi, I sent you an email to be part of the beta yesterday. Can't wait to try this.

simonenastasi
11 November 2011, 12:17 PM
sent an email as well =)

mir-vadim
11 November 2011, 07:53 PM
I sent beta to everyone who asked to try it out.

Also, I just noticed that there is PhysX 2.7 avaialble in PhysX Developer support page.
Is it available only for me or anyone who also have account see it?
I got email from NV, they say that new version will be available today or tomorrow, so maybe it is already available for public.

xplodeworkshop
11 November 2011, 08:09 PM

Also, I just noticed that there is PhysX 2.7 avaialble in PhysX Developer support page.
I got email from NV, they say that new version will be available today or tomorrow, so maybe it is already available for public.

hi mir.. i want to ask that, everytime i simulate or can say bake the animation in rayfire.. it shows different result.... whenever i hit play button to bake the animation.. its different result why its happen please tell me thx

JohnnyRandom
11 November 2011, 09:46 PM

2.70.1028.1400 is the version that I see if that helps.

fireknght2
11 November 2011, 01:49 AM

Its showing in my Developer support was moved to APEX DCC drop down but its there.

Thanks Mir for everything.

mir-vadim
11 November 2011, 09:16 AM
New build 1.57.01 should be available via Update system if you have 1.55 or 1.56 installed.
It supports new PhysX plugin 2.7

Tollman
11 November 2011, 11:00 AM
Awesome to see these updates, looking forward to the full bullet implementation.

Although, I would like to see a fix for the continued simulation on spinning objects.
If I have a cube with rotational animation and start simulating, the objects change rotation direction on the startframe.

oatz
11 November 2011, 05:38 PM
The PhysX 2.7 release seems to have solved the duplicate ID errors with physX.dlm.

wxyz
11 November 2011, 09:34 PM
2.7 plus the beta still crashing for me with large sims.

Tollman
11 November 2011, 10:17 PM
about the continued simulation.. it seems like the latest physX update did the trick, and i put the blame in the wrong place all the time :blush:
One feature i would like to have now is to be able to choose witch kind of simulation hull should be used in the custom properties dialog, if i would like to have all object but one to be convex for instance.

Otherwise, it works like a charm! :beer:

adom86
11 November 2011, 06:35 PM
Evening!

How do you guys get round using rayfire on animated character i.e. fracture the animated character and crumbles to ground while still following original animation. Driving me mad that I cant bake any keyframes from point cache model to then try use in rayfire somehow.

Go the original rigged/skinned char in maya at the moment.

simonenastasi
12 December 2011, 04:02 PM
Mir, where could we give feedback about rayfire beta?

PsychoSilence
12 December 2011, 03:08 PM
There is the forum on the website where you can send PMs etc:
http://www.rayfirestudios.com/forum/index.php

or mail Mir. Just choose communication ways that are private for now ;)

PsychoSilence
12 December 2011, 03:12 PM
RayFire users unite! If you recently used rayfire in a production let us know. We are prepping a new user reel! Show the love, get exposure :)

Tollman
12 December 2011, 12:47 PM
I for one would like to input endframe rather than time range in rayfire, since i almost always know the endframe of the shot, and don't like my framerange to be changed all the time when doing sims.

Nothing big, but it would surely be an überhandy little patch for me.
Or am I the only one that thinks that?

robinb
12 December 2011, 01:28 PM
Yes I'd prefer that too. I often end up with a sim that's 10 frames longer than I expect as it's starts on frame 10.

It isn't a big problem for the stuff I do, but it does annoy me when it happens.

I'm more disappointed that I can't use Rayfire newer than 1.51 in Max 2011. The new ones just crash all the time for me. No response after I supplied an example file either.

PsychoSilence
12 December 2011, 09:12 PM
New RayFire 1.57.03 is out along with a new PhysX build 2.70.1028.1400. If you have 1.57 installed simply use the "About > Check for Updates" feature. Lots of minor fixes inside of physx. Lot stabler build!

mir-vadim
12 December 2011, 10:21 PM
Just added End frame property. will be available in next build in a few days.
And additional 10 frames edition removed too. That was needed for reactor, now default start frame is 0, end frame 100 and rayfire edit animation time range only if it less than simulation range.
Working on stability and small improvements further, sorry, didn't have much time recently.

Tollman
12 December 2011, 11:24 PM
A to the WESOME!!

mir-vadim
12 December 2011, 08:32 PM
Build 1.57.04 is out. More fixed bugs, more stable simulation.

Strob
12 December 2011, 08:58 PM
Great! but I only see 1.55 in the download section

Tollman
12 December 2011, 08:19 AM
surfing around with the rayfire modifier, i found the irregular mode, witch defines how many "groups" of pointclouds over the object you want, this is a really cool feature, however, when trying to use this in 2011, i just couldn't find it.
So is this "Irregular mode" something exclusive to 2012, or is it just a "forgot to add it"?
Anyways.. Thanks for the rapid updates!

rezanasiri
12 December 2011, 02:17 PM
Hi, nice work dude. Im facing an issue but I cant tell that ist particularly your problem. Im using max 2012 (I call it Autodesk 3ds Bug 2012)! I installed rayfire 1.55, 1.56 and 1.57 but every time I faced the same maxscript error. When I press play button in rayfire's physx tab this happens. What I found out was that when I add objects in rayfire's object tab and set the simulation geometry type (object properties>physical properties) to sphere and box I dont get any errors and its simulating alright. BUT when I set the simulation geometry to convex or concave the error shows up. Then I realized that this aint a rayfire problem and its max's MassFX malfunction and even with hotfix 1 hotfix 2 service pack 2 and probably service pack 20 it will not be fixed untill max 2013 MAYBE! (nice job Autodesk!!!). Anyway to prove it all you have to do is create a box and give it a MassFX modifier and set it to static. then create a sphere and again give it a MassFX modifier and set it to dynamic object AND set Mesh Type to CONVEX and play using MassFX's simulate button. Doesnt work right?
Now set the Mesh Type for the sphere to SHPERE and play it again. Weird right?? it works. So thats it. the MassFX has several mesh types. box, sphere and capsule IS WORKING but convex, composite, original and concave (rayfire based) IS NOT WORKING. Pretty cool right! Well shoot me if Im wrong fellas.

TheRazorsEdge
12 December 2011, 02:31 PM
Great! but I only see 1.55 in the download section

Same here. I've been waiting since the announcement of 1.56, but nothing happened so far .....

Cheers!

rezanasiri
12 December 2011, 02:40 PM
Same here. I've been waiting since the announcement of 1.56, but nothing happened so far .....

Cheers!

You can find RF 1.57 demo version in rayfire's official website but if you're looking for unlimited version its not available yet. However doesnt matter even if its out becouse it will not work properly in max 2012. happy demolishings!

PsychoSilence
12 December 2011, 02:51 PM
a friendly reminder that we are still looking for your finished projects for a new presentation reel :)
Post your work here or mail/PM Mir or me.

-Anselm

Tollman
12 December 2011, 04:04 PM
Hi, nice work dude. Im facing an issue but I cant tell that ist particularly your problem. Im using max 2012 (I call it Autodesk 3ds Bug 2012)! I installed rayfire 1.55, 1.56 and 1.57 but every time I faced the same maxscript error......

you need to install max physx plugin aswell.
http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=1949
that link.. ish
you need to create a free account there to be able to download it.

Tollman
12 December 2011, 04:07 PM
You can find RF 1.57 demo version in rayfire's official website but if you're looking for unlimited version its not available yet. However doesnt matter even if its out becouse it will not work properly in max 2012. happy demolishings!

rayfire 1.57 should reside in your download section on the rayfire homepage, (mine was unavailable as well, mir has to fix that per account i guess), and my rayfire works as good as any software does in max 2012.

mir-vadim
12 December 2011, 04:53 PM
Everyone who purchased rayfire 1.5 and versions after can get 1.57 for free, If it is not in your acc you need to email me and I will add it. I didn't add it to all customers after release because there were some problems with compatibility with latest PhysX 2.7
Now they are fixed and plugin works much more stable, so just email me.

TheRazorsEdge
12 December 2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks! Email is on the way! :)

Cheers!

garryclarke
12 December 2011, 12:57 PM
Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying a copy of RayFire, but I understand that there is a new version coming that uses the Bullet dynamics engine. I don't want to buy it now and have to upgrade after a month or so (or whenever)

If I buy RayFire now will the upgrade to the new version be free? When is the new version expected?

- Garry

mir-vadim
12 December 2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah, at least for one year all new updates will be for free.

And I can't say for sure anything about dates, bullet implemented fro almost 80% but there are some 3ds Max problems which we can not solve without Autodesk help for now.

garryclarke
12 December 2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Mir,

Free updates for a year is pretty good. Not too bothered when the new version is released but I didn't want to buy it and have to pay for an upgrade a few weeks later.

I'll get a copy before xmas now, thanks.

- Garry

PexElroy
12 December 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi all,
I have max 2010 and 2012 installed, and about a month ago I installed the latest PhysX drivers from the NVIDIA dev. web site (with the login).

After the install, 3ds Max's PhysX toolbar buttons say: "/*#&!@" now, what gives?

RayFire does not work properly - it can only slice. And I do a RF sim with RayFire 1.55 or 1.57 I get a script erorr with PhysX. In 3ds Max 2012, the RayFire stop and play buttons are greyed out - no interactive sim.

Also , MassFX does not work in 3ds Max 2012 after i installed that newest PhysX installer -
it is now incredibly sluggish and has script errors when I try to hit Play - broken also.

versions installed currently:
NVIDIA PhysX Plug-in for 3ds Max 2012 64 bit, 2.61.0906.0900
NVIDIA PhysX Plug-in for Autodesk 3ds Max 32 bit, 2.01.1222.0945
NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.10.0514

What does one do to fix this PhysX mess ?

mir-vadim
12 December 2011, 06:21 PM
Everything you have right now is old.

First of all install latest PhysX SDK:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18258488/PhysX_9.11.0621_SystemSoftware.msi

Then latest PhysX Plugin
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18258488/NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_64bit_2.70.1028.1400.msi
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18258488/NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_32bit_2.70.1028.1400.msi
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18258488/NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2011_32bit_2.70.1028.1400.msi
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18258488/NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2011_64bit_2.70.1028.1400.msi
And don't forget to download it from their website too, they need this for some kind statistic.

After that, get 1.57.

PexElroy
12 December 2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks mir - will try this out and see if it helps the problems :)

EDIT : ok, installed these new drivers and RF 1.57 seems to work again in 2012 64 bit, and the ON Play/Bake buttons are working for interactive sim and with frag :) but my MassFX toolbar buttons are still broken, some of the MassFX buttons are labeled >>> @!&*# <<< and do nothing when pressed, so maybe the PhysX drivers broke MassFX - guess I do not need it with RF 1.57.04.

fireknght2
12 December 2011, 03:39 AM
but my MassFX toolbar buttons are still broken, some of the MassFX buttons are labeled >>> @!&*# <<< and do nothing when pressed, so maybe the PhysX drivers broke MassFX
The last I knew when you install PhysX then the MassFX is no longer available per Autodesk Community forum. When or if you decide to remove PhysX then it is supposed to restore MassFX. I had to manually install massX when PhysX was messed up but maybe they fixed that.
In conclusion I believe you have to choose between one or the other I recommend PhysX as it works well with Rayfire...:)

PexElroy
12 December 2011, 03:48 AM
Thanks fireknght2 :) - yea, noticed MassFX was ok - right up to that PhysX install ,

yea I prefer RayFire too ...

JohnnyRandom
12 December 2011, 07:48 PM
I just ran through all of this too :D , if you are using Rayfire and PhysX in 2012 you no longer have the option to use massFX. The current build of the PhysX plugin for max (2.7.xx.x) is much more robust than the current iteration of massFX anyway.

Happily, everything is working as slick as an oil spill for me

jimmy4d
12 December 2011, 03:27 PM
yes I ran into all of this myself this week.........to me this is all good, it took a bit but things are looking sweet...........good riddens Massfx.

mir-vadim
12 December 2011, 05:19 PM
Hey!
Here is my small Xmass present for all of you. :)
I called this feature "Dead objects" and it works for objects in Sleeping list.
Shortly, when this feature is ON all Dynamic and Kinematik objects gently pushes Dead objects so they do not fall and do not explode, just moves a little bit.
Here is Demo\Tutorial how this feature works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3gi6zagpU

And the best news is that feature already available for you in latest released minor build 1.57.05.

:buttrock:

em3
12 December 2011, 08:23 PM
fantastic! thanks Mir! :buttrock:

jimmy4d
12 December 2011, 01:08 PM
:bounce: cool......... will check out.......

fcluk
01 January 2012, 10:12 PM
Hi guys i really need some help for a work to my college.

I've installed Rayfire 1.55 demo but i'm having problems when i try to collapse buildings, they're actualy exploding insted of demolition. I've searched for some tutorials but coudnt find where to change this, mostly of the tutorials i found are for the older versions and the layout seems to be different, i'm kind lost.

I've successfully been able to fragment the object but unfortunately no success on destroying them, because as i've said, they always explodes (fragments flying all over the scene :( )

Anyway, just need to do something like this (it's for a still image, not an animation).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnbOtv-pGBY
Witch is the vallue on rayfire that i need to change for something like this happen?

Thank You.

mir-vadim
01 January 2012, 02:20 AM
New build 1.57.06 is out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLcY-gVDiH0

Now you can use Convex shape property for each element in geometry.
Each element will be simulated as convex, so whole geometry will be simulated as concave.

fireknght2
01 January 2012, 02:59 AM
New build 1.57.06 is out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLcY-gVDiH0

Now you can use Convex shape property for each element in geometry.
Each element will be simulated as convex, so whole geometry will be simulated as concave.

Mir do you ever take a Vacation? Happy New Year and thanks for the new update.

Rich

Tollman
01 January 2012, 09:26 AM
when i'm using rebars in a interactive demolision sim it works great, although, when i have a prefragged object and the frags in sleeping mode rayfire seems to disregard the rebars, is this true, or am i doing it wrong?

mir-vadim
01 January 2012, 12:23 PM
fcluk: Looks like you use ProBoolean fragmenttion types which cretes concave fragments and use PhysX convex shape for simulating them. This is why they explode. Try to use Voronou frag types.
Also get latest 1.57 which is more stable with latest PhysX 2.7

Tollman: Yes, rebars do not affect on Inactive objects atm, I already fixed this for next minor build.

fcluk
01 January 2012, 02:15 PM
thx mir, i'll try :)

see ya.

Tollman
01 January 2012, 02:50 PM
cool.. looking forward to it.
awesome with these rapid fixes

any news on the bullet implementation, have you got a timeframe?

Steve Green
01 January 2012, 08:08 PM
One thing I've never managed to get an answer to, is if there is a solution to the problem I'm having here, where geometry that consists of faces extruded into an object boolean badly.

Is there any way to get objects modeled this way to boolean correctly, or is it just the nature of the Proboolean function in Max?

Do I have to build them as separate objects so you don't have these undercuts in a single object?

Thanks,

Steve

robinb
01 January 2012, 11:12 AM
One thing I've never managed to get an answer to, is if there is a solution to the problem I'm having here, where geometry that consists of faces extruded into an object boolean badly.

Is there any way to get objects modeled this way to boolean correctly, or is it just the nature of the Proboolean function in Max?

Do I have to build them as separate objects so you don't have these undercuts in a single object?

Thanks,

Steve

That's certainly a difficult shape to frag since it's done with planes and they will cut through the holes and get capped.

One way to deal with it is to have each depth layer as a separate solid object. Like so:

Steve Green
01 January 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi,

thanks, I thought that might be the case, I just wondered if there was an alternative way to frag them rather than build them a certain way.

Regards,

Steve

FelipeRRM
01 January 2012, 06:09 PM
Hey there guys. This tool is really awesome, but I can't do anything with it! I really don't know how to work with that, and I Can't seem to find any good tutorials on the net. What I intend to do, is a simple animation of something exploding, to import to Source Engine (game engine). I tired following the tutorial here, but the tool has changed a lot since that tutorial was made, and I can't find any of the options the guy says. It seems the tool has got worse, there are a lot of options missing in my tool than in the tutorial's version, like RayXplode: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/741440

Thanks guys!

mir-vadim
01 January 2012, 06:37 PM
Hi, I am just finished with updating Online Help which is available via About menu.
Now it is all up to date.
http://mirvadim.com/onlineHelp/01_Contents.html

As for tutorials, now after I finished with online help I am about to rerecord all features usage.
Everything will be available in Online Help as well.

fireknght2
01 January 2012, 09:41 PM
Hi, I am just finished with updating Online Help which is available via About menu.
Now it is all up to date.

As for tutorials, now after I finished with online help I am about to rerecord all features usage.
Everything will available in Online Help as well.

Awesome work Mir Thanks for all your dedication.

Rich

FelipeRRM
01 January 2012, 01:00 AM
What I don't get is this: On Objects Tab/Simulation Properties you can Add objects, and then change some values, those values will affect all added objects? Isn't there a way to set different values to each object?

mir-vadim
01 January 2012, 02:01 AM
Yes, they affect for all objects, to set custom properties for each object you can use Custom Properties Rollout.

PsychoSilence
01 January 2012, 04:10 PM
We now have an official RayFire UserGroup at Vimeo :) Join and share the love! :)

http://vimeo.com/groups/rayfire

FelipeRRM
01 January 2012, 05:31 PM
I have 2 doubts guys, they are very newby things, but I'm really new in this thing :blush:

1- When I click to simulate physics, I have an oject animated to hit the fragmented wall, but even before the object hits it, pieces already start falling from it (there a static object under it serving as a base, but little pieces fall from it's side). How to fix this?

2- When I'm done with the settings I want, and I click the play button, everything happens nicely, but very slowly, and after I exit the window, the settings are not saved. How can I save the animaiton of what just happened to I can render the scene?

Thanks guys!

robinb
01 January 2012, 01:17 PM
I have 2 doubts guys, they are very newby things, but I'm really new in this thing :blush:

1- When I click to simulate physics, I have an oject animated to hit the fragmented wall, but even before the object hits it, pieces already start falling from it (there a static object under it serving as a base, but little pieces fall from it's side). How to fix this?

2- When I'm done with the settings I want, and I click the play button, everything happens nicely, but very slowly, and after I exit the window, the settings are not saved. How can I save the animaiton of what just happened to I can render the scene?

Thanks guys!

1) For the first you want Deactivate Static Dynamic Objects set in the physics tab. That way they start in sleep mode and won't start to fall until affected by an object in the list there. Check Activate by Geometry. Add your animating object to that list and add it as a kinematic object.

2) The first button is a preview button (it says this in the tooltip). So it plays in the viewport, but doesn't bake the result. The second button bakes the animation.

shalabology
01 January 2012, 08:58 PM
for the first answer that belongs to the first question : i have one qs if i have to use activate by geometry so what dose the sleeping list do ? besides that i have really nasty results buy that way only the hit parts dissociate

shalabology
01 January 2012, 09:02 PM
the idea here in addition -in my case at least- it works well the first time then second preview it explodes before anything happens

mir-vadim
01 January 2012, 10:20 PM
Which version of RayFire, PhysX and 3ds Max you use?

shalabology
01 January 2012, 10:35 PM
Its 1.56 And Max 2012 For Physx I Dont Know Exactly Coz Its Installed On The Work Machines , I M Not Such Fluent In That May Be I Ll Ask The It Guys Tomorrow , By The Way I Tried That On 3 Machines There This Night .

em3
01 January 2012, 11:07 PM
I have been struggling trying to get up to date with the latest RF.

What versions do I need to be up to date. I think it's:

PhysX-9.11.1107-SystemSoftware
NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_64bit_2.70.1028.1400
RF: 1.57

What do I do if I have 3DS Max DESIGN 2012?

feldy
01 January 2012, 07:27 PM
Hey guys just installed max 2012 here at work. Had to have work email Mir for a new installer. Everything installed fine however when doing a sim... anytime fragmentation starts. I get the following error.

Node Name Collision Error.

Cannot have two nodes in the scene with the same name.
Changing selected nodes names to UniqPoshelper001. Press Ok to keep going.

If I hold down enter it will continue on and the sim does what it is suppose to. Just annoying that I have to hold down enter.

Its just a simple test scene with a box falling and landing on a plane.

We are using Rayfire 1.57.08. With the latest physx files.

The same scene loaded into max 2010 with RayFire 1.51 does not have the issue.

I had the max script listener opened to see if it was spewing out any info our tech artist could look into but I got nothing. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks -Jeremy

Jeremy Kendall

Senior Fx Artist

Volition-THQ

mir-vadim
02 February 2012, 10:09 AM
Hi, feldy, I think you have some inhause script which track all names of newly created objects and let you know if there are nodes with the same name.
UniqPoshelper name is name of a helper which RayFire creates, for now it creates it with the same name, but I can fix it.
Please, email to me and I will send fixed build to you via email, do not plan to release new minor build any time soon.

And here you can find instruction how to install PhysX plugin over 3ds Max design version:
http://mirvadim.com/onlineHelp/03_Install.html

feldy
02 February 2012, 04:12 PM
Yep this issue is now fixed. Big Thanks to you sir for being so quick. Cheers!

AdrienSliver
02 February 2012, 08:53 PM
Hello, I worked with 3DS max 2011 64 bit, I have a Nvidia GTX 550ti, I just setup 3dsmax 2012x64 and I have a problem that troubles me a lot with rayfire 1.57.08.

I have installed in order to fix my problem : PhysX 9.11.1111 and PhysX for Autodesk 3dsmax 2012 64bit (2.70.1028.1400) but I have the same problem.

When a prefragment a wall which is hit by a sphere and pass through : there are no problems. But when I check "Demolish geometry" my wall become indestructible so the sphere does not pass through and I previously on max 2011 and rayfire 1.55 all was ok

Edit : Problem fix after reboot, I don't know why but good news :)

ahmedsheeraz
02 February 2012, 11:37 AM
hi i am using 3dsmax 2012 64-bit which already has physx sdk 2.8.4 installed (massfx tools dialog->engine->about massfx). Should i still need to install physx 2.7 to let rayfire work properly coz i am getting error unknown system exception when i click play/simulate button in rayfire?

its ok now, got it to work..ignore the post.

bhavya2
03 March 2012, 07:07 PM
i am using rayfire 1.55.. i am using the custom properties rollout to specify my setting(depth level 2)s..but the problem is ..my piont cloud is not aligning to my mesh object...i want it to come as it does when i use the fragment modifier-uniform--uniform gives me perfectly aligned point clouds...i know i can pre fragment my object using it...but then i dont know the wrokflow post that...because as if now i just create my objects and on running the sim rayfire automatically generates the fragments for me during the sim ....but that does not give me aligned point clouds ,resulting in wastage of a lot of point clouds resulting in fragment count loss....so any ideas how to get uniform type of point clouds with custom rollout
or if some one coulld guide me towards prefragment ...but i dont want to change my scene setup

em3
03 March 2012, 07:27 PM
Would be great if someone (or group of someones) wrote up a "difinitive guide to getting started with RayFire". I know Mir has videos and that is very helpful. Sometimes it's just easier to turn to the page with the info.

I have more than once needed this document :)

PsychoSilence
03 March 2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAPXeRmNJtc

RayFire 2012 customer show reel! Thanks to everybody who contributed! Amazing results in every shot.

em3
03 March 2012, 05:10 PM
That is just incredible work. I am honored to be associated with individuals that produce this level of excellence and continually raise the bar for the rest of us. Thank you!

Cheers to you Mir! Quite the groundbreaking tool you have created here. :beer:

jimmy4d
03 March 2012, 01:10 PM
yeah love this plug........here is what i got out of the latest version, thanks Mir....:thumbsup: .....http://youtu.be/uRbxMnC8c0o

mir-vadim
03 March 2012, 12:59 AM
Old promo video is edited.
Here is new one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekqsMCrXZsQ

jigu
03 March 2012, 04:34 AM
wow, that's the one best product reel I have seen so far! loved it.

fireknght2
03 March 2012, 09:15 PM
SICK!

Mir, my friend Rayfire has gone from a script to a CG House top shelf need not a want a need. I recommend this to anyone who even thinks they will dabble in CG special effects.

Thank You

Rich

QuakeFX
03 March 2012, 02:29 PM
I'm experimenting with all the different options but there's one thing I can't get to work. I've animated 2 spheres to move through eachother and added both to the Dynamic/Impact Objects. At frame 4 they're very close to eachother, at frame 5 they're 'in' eachother. I've checked Demolish Geometry in the physics tab and the simulation should start at frame 4. They move towards eachother as was animated but at frame 4 the animation stops and they drop down.

What am I doing wrong here? How would you ask RayFire to take the animation and calculate an objects flight path onwards from the simlution frame?

3ds Max 2012 64bit
RayFire 1.57

Tollman
03 March 2012, 04:52 PM
Rayfire should do this automatically, take the animated speed at the simulation start frame, I know that there was a bug in a previous patch where this had been disabled somehow, like version 1.57.04 or something, so just try to update to a newer build.
If not that, I don't know.

QuakeFX
03 March 2012, 05:30 PM
Ok I'm giving 1.57.10 a try right now but as soon as I open the floater I get the following error:

-- No "">="" function for undefined

Trying to get my hands on the new Physx 2.70 plugin, hope that solves it but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Edit:
Installed Physx 2.70.1028.1400 and things seem to work now! :)

QuakeFX
03 March 2012, 06:02 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to give the inner part of an object a different material than the outer layers. For example, a sphere that is red on the ouside and yellow on the inside with a gradual orange in between, so that when the sphere breaks apart one would be able to see where the core is going and what's happening to the outer layers. It would create a very interesting effect.

PsychoSilence
03 March 2012, 06:11 PM
In the fragment tab all the way at the bottom in the advanced fragmentation section, material ID. change it to something else then 0. make it 2 e.g. and the outer faces will have ID1 and the crack edges will have ID2.

Mills
03 March 2012, 07:26 PM
Hi
I am trying to create something like the image below. I am using proboolean to cut the object out of the ice. I have two problems with the workflow so far.
1: The object is not completely inside the "ice block" I need to be able to select the inside object to make the boolean. :banghead:
2: Because of the boolean I am getting overlapping edges so when I use rayfire it "explodes" I am trying to get the geometry to fall to the ground using activation by force/object. :banghead:
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!
E
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/Serp/Serp0905/Serp090500016/4829061-block-of-ice-with-symbol-of-euro-frozen-inwardly-on-a-light-background.jpg

edit:
Would this be the best way to get the hollow area for the object inside?
volumeBreaker: Hollow Mesh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkml8xLAyEs

Stresspill
03 March 2012, 06:39 AM
I´m havin trouble with PBomb, when used as an activator for deactivated dynamic bodies the bomb only starts the sim but no explosion. So the bits start to fall but whatever the strength settings are I dont get other than gravity influencing the dynamic bodies. Currently I´m using version 1.55 but have requested the latest version from Mir, maybe the old version is the culprit. 64bit max2012..

edit...
Ok. Now with the new version and with the correct physx plugins it´s bombs away!

wxyz
03 March 2012, 05:35 PM
Is it safe to go to SP2 in Max2012 with RF1.57 and the 1400 Phys-X Release?

naik
04 April 2012, 10:38 AM
Hey guys,

for me it's impossible to work with that mentioned combination.

I'm using the latest Physx Software and as soon as i start a bigger simulation
( ineractive demolition ) Max starts to hang and i have to kill 3dsmax.
Also very often when i start a sim it takes ages although the sim is quite easy than after
pressing 100 times ESC the sim starts , really strange and of course
my 3dsmax windows are blinking like hell ( on / off - blank - white etc )

I hate that status, is it just me of do i use the wrong version?

cheers

naik
04 April 2012, 02:43 PM
BTW guys,

sorry for this "dumb" question, but i have not followed the complete rayfire development over the
last years, but where is the shooting feature?
I remember that the older versions of rayfire got that special feature.

cheers

wxyz
04 April 2012, 07:05 PM
Is it safe to go to SP2 in Max2012 with RF1.57 and the 1400 Phys-X Release?I really want to know

PatrickH
04 April 2012, 08:38 PM
I get this trying to run a simulation of a box falling to the ground. I'm using:
Latest Rayfire
Max 2012 64 bit SP2
Windows 7
PhysX- NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_Maya_2012_64bit_2.71.0118.2310
PhysX_9.11.0621_SystemSoftware

Anybody else getting this?
Thanks,
Patrick

mir-vadim
04 April 2012, 01:20 PM
PhysX- NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_Maya ?????? :surprised

Looks like SP2 screw PhysX plugin.
I just installed it again on top of SP2 and everything works ok now.

PatrickH
04 April 2012, 04:41 PM
Woops- that was a typo. I meant:
NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_64bit_2.71.0202.1800
But even when i re-install over SP2 it still get the error.
-- Unable to convert: true to type: Integer <<
-- Error occurred in Prep(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\plugins\RayFireTool\RayFireTool.mse; position: 285866; line: 1065
-- Defined in encrypted script
-- called in start(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\plugins\RayFireTool\RayFireTool.mse; position: 311465; line: 1161
-- called in PxRecord_btn.changed(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\plugins\RayFireTool\RayFireTool.mse; position: 352358; line: 1303
-- Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\plugins\RayFireTool\RayFireTool.mse; position: 285866; line: 1065
Not sure if that helps. Probably something local.

Thanks,
Patrick

mir-vadim
04 April 2012, 06:49 PM
Did you install PhysX System Software, the actual PhysX engine?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18258488/PhysX_9.11.0621_SystemSoftware.msi

PatrickH
04 April 2012, 07:10 PM
Yes- I did.

Thanks,
Patrick

em3
04 April 2012, 07:26 PM
Aside from the installation work around, does Rayfire work better with Max 2012 than with 2012 Design?

naik
04 April 2012, 08:50 AM
sorry for bumping this, but can anyone shed some light into this?
(shooting feature - rayfire gone ?)

wxyz
04 April 2012, 02:54 PM
Yes, it's gone for now.

em3
04 April 2012, 03:24 PM
Is any part of rayfire accessible via maxscript? It would be great if there were a way to network sim from a batch file.

jimmy4d
04 April 2012, 09:18 PM
Hey whats the skinny on rayfire and max 2013, nvidia drivers , mass fx, bla, bla bla.....?????:eek:

savat
04 April 2012, 02:07 PM
Hi,
I started to enjoy with ray fire and this is my first rendered test. (http://vimeo.com/40352331)
Play with deformable meshes is hard to do without the Mir tutorial.
where actually is "activation by texture"?

Mir, this is a great plugin for "solid" and fast demolition setups but I spend more time to delete objects from lists and get to the "play/stop animation" buttons.

Mills
04 April 2012, 08:29 PM

Debneyink
04 April 2012, 11:37 AM
does anyone know how to set the brick fragment setting so they give me nice english bricks?

ive been playing with the fragment length, width height etc and getting no joy...just lots of blocks in various sizes not off set as bricks would be....cheers

kaworuonline
04 April 2012, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone,
here is my first test of RayFire & FumeFx
http://192.168.0.102/photostation/api/get_file_api.php?sid=null&f=L1B1YmxpYy9zY3JlZW5DYXAuanBn
http://youtu.be/6DCP4rYpAbY

When use Tesselation 1 in Secondary fragmentation, in order to add extra detail to those debris, all the thing look fine at that moment. But the max file is showed as corrupted when i open it again.
Any one facing same problem before ?
I use 1.57.10
Sorry for this dumb question:)

QuakeFX
04 April 2012, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone,
here is my first test of RayFire & FumeFx
http://192.168.0.102/photostation/api/get_file_api.php?sid=null&f=L1B1YmxpYy9zY3JlZW5DYXAuanBn
http://youtu.be/6DCP4rYpAbY
Nice setup with the golf club/ball! :)

sasmitr
05 May 2012, 04:50 AM
Heyy,

I have a point cached character in the scene which has to break through some walls. Its been selected in the kinematic objects rollout whereas the walls are in inactive rollout. The character has been assigned custom properties and deformable yielding is checked in the same.

Still it does not participate in any way in the collisions. The character runs to the last frame of its animation when the sim starts. can any1 help me out with the why?????????

I am running rayfire 1.57.10 on max2012 with the latest physx 2.7 version.

Regards.

pumbama
05 May 2012, 10:16 AM
Rayfire 1.57.10 on max2012 Crashes for simulation...Only when i use rayfire procutter "wood" splinters.....everth other fragment used has no effect...is it because of the number of pieces the box model breaks in to....my specs are i7 860 2.8ghz...8gb...its nuthin complex...just a simple box i fragmented....jus to test something..can any1 tel me why

Ok now rayfire is acting weird the framentation is completly wrong...and when it does fragment...and i run simulation...the box which has been fragmented and set to dynamic object just explored when i run it..

Now thers is another problem..this isn't related to rayfire but still am hoping someone can help....physx is just messed up...everything looks weird..it looks like.....this simple flag simulation
http://i50.tinypic.com/2rzqpeu.png
it looked like this yesterday...it was working fine but something changed as all cloth simulations look like above or it crashes when using dynamic rigid bodies etc..
http://i50.tinypic.com/ivuyqd.png

mir-vadim
05 May 2012, 01:07 PM
RayFire 1.58 with some new features and fixes was just released.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1051088

fireknght2
05 May 2012, 10:11 PM
Thank You Mir for the update news and keep up the great work Rayfire gets better everyday.

Rich

Sewo
05 May 2012, 08:07 PM
Hello guys, I was wondering if you could help me cause i have small problem . The thing is that i have 3ds max 2009 x64 and recently i've installed the rayfire, also i've downloaded Physx plug-in 2.01 and when i'm trying to make simulation of any kind it says that i need Physx 2.61 so i'm looking all over and can not find place where i could download that version. So please if anyone could help me i would be very thankful.

philipho
05 May 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi All,

I've just got Rayfire 1.58 installed on my work machine but cant get it to work properly. I've got some bricks that get knocked over by a truck in my scene, the truck is animated to crash through this pile of bricks, but when i try to sim the bricks just fall through the ground static mesh and doesn't interact with the truck or the ground/

Is there any documention out there on how to use this for sims?

Thanks

Phil

PexElroy
05 May 2012, 07:30 PM
This should be cool. :thumbsup:

fireknght2
05 May 2012, 08:07 PM
Do we have to go to the main Site for the update or will it update in 3ds max?

Rich

PexElroy
05 May 2012, 08:16 PM
@ fireknght2 - you will want to priv. msg Mir, ask him to update your account page, then you can grab zip. :twisted:

@ philipho – On your RayFire Objects panel, be sure your static floor and any walls you add to the 'Static_Kinematic Objects' dialog, and any moving or keyframed objects should go into the top 'Dynamic /Impact Objects' dialog. then go to the Physics tab and pick an engine you prefer, and use the second 'Bake' animation play button (second in) to have it sim. To have objects fracture while in a demolition, be sure to check on the 'Demolish geometry' option, or the object(s) will not fracture (based on the Frag. tab settings).

fireknght2
05 May 2012, 08:47 PM
@ fireknght2 - you will want to priv. msg Mir, ask him to update your account page, then you can grab zip. :twisted:

@ philipho – On your RayFire Objects panel, be sure your static floor and any walls you add to the 'Static_Kinematic Objects' dialog, and any moving or keyframed objects should go into the top 'Dynamic /Impact Objects' dialog. then go to the Physics tab and pick an engine you prefer, and use the second 'Bake' animation play button (second in) to have it sim. To have objects fracture while in a demolition, be sure to check on the 'Demolish geometry' option, or the object(s) will not fracture (based on the Frag. tab settings).

Thanks PexElroy will do straight away.

Sewo
05 May 2012, 09:08 PM
Hi, guys, i'd like to ask you for help.I have problem with rayfire,every time i try to animate somthing i have note "unable to convert true to type integer" if someone knows how to fix that please tell me.

takhachhe
05 May 2012, 05:52 PM
same problem as shared by pumbama... I m using rayfire 1.57.10 with physx 2.71. on max 2012... I fragmented the object and did simulation .. but when I save the file and reopen the file it doesnot open and show some error like file got crashed.. can somebody help with this thing.. and @ mirvadim: Is that a bug of rayfire 1.57.. and dont tell me to update rayfire coz I just updated recently and my company doesnot allow me to update again so soon.. and r u sure this thing wont happen in rayfire 1.58..

PatrickH
05 May 2012, 10:48 PM
Hi, guys, i'd like to ask you for help.I have problem with rayfire,every time i try to animate somthing i have note "unable to convert true to type integer" if someone knows how to fix that please tell me.

I was having the same problem- i ended up doing a "clean" re-install of max- getting rid of all the folders in the max directory before re-installing. That was what fixed it for me- not sure why exactly. Also make sure you have the correct PhyX 3ds max drivers and PhysX system software. I'm on 1.58 now but I got 1.57 to work with this combination:
PhysX for Max version -2.61.0916.1330
PhysX System Software 9.12.0213

Although there are newer drivers that would probably work too.

Sewo
05 May 2012, 09:36 AM
Now i have Physx 2.71 and rayfire 1.58 and everything is working good as soon as i try to make fragmentation for any object then this note shows up : "call needs function or class got inderfined"

BrandonMiletta
05 May 2012, 07:21 PM
Hey guys, maybe someone knows what's causing my issue.

Basically, concave meshes behave exactly the same as convex.

So for example, If I have a bucket with an opening in the top and I go to drop an object into the bucket, it acts as if the bucket has a lid. So the object just floats in mid air above the bucket.

I am using rayfire 1.58 with the suggested physx SDK and Max plugin. (2.71 for plugin). And I have set my meshes to be concave. Tried various other versions of physx but still getting the same issue in max 2012.

takhachhe
06 June 2012, 06:29 AM
when I fragment object using voronoi.. its crashes... mainly while using plane.. and also when I use box or other geometry and use voronoi it too get crash and after I save the file and reopen the file it doesnot reopen at all.. it shows some error like file could not be open.. but this thing doesnot happen while using proboolean and other... i m using rayfire 1.58 with 2.85 physx for max and 9.12 physx..

Steve Green
06 June 2012, 07:09 PM
Hmmm.

Rayfire's been a bit iffy for me as well.

Getting a Maxscript "--Uknown property: "count" in OK" quite a few times, which also seems to break Rayfire until I restart Max.

I'm guessing something is going wrong with the fragmentation part.

Don't think it's PhysX related as it seems to happen with Bullet as well.

I did install the latest product updates for Max 2012/2013, not sure if that's related - normally it only breaks PhysX if anything.

Anyone else getting this?

Thanks,

Steve

jdrouse
06 June 2012, 01:33 AM
So I installed:
NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_64bit_2.85.00427.02000.msi

As required for RayFire. That all works fine on my machine. RF, PhysX, everything.

HOWEVER, if I take a file and open on another machine and then save it (or autobackup) it crashes to desktop. So basically every file my machine touches now turns to crap on other machines. Can anyone confirm?

-John

sconlogue
06 June 2012, 05:01 PM
Getting a Maxscript "--Uknown property: "count" in OK" quite a few times, which also seems to break Rayfire until I restart Max.

I'm getting this error too. It happens every time I try to use "Secondary Fragmentation" in the fragmentation tab.

Also I noticed that when using the fragmenter modifier it isn't using all my cores which I find odd since I have the latest build and multithreading support was listed in there. Not sure why it's ignoring my other 7 cores.

sconlogue
06 June 2012, 01:20 AM
Finding Rayfire pretty user friendly and having no trouble get around the UI but one thing I can't figure out is why the fragmentation modifier isn't run on all my cores. I have 8 logical cores but only one is in use. I see in demo video of the frag modifier he points out it's firing on all cores significantly speed things up yet when I use it it just report 1/8 and the resource monitor confirms this. Do I have to enable multi-threading somewhere? Does anyone else have this issue? The increase in speed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jdrouse
07 July 2012, 06:37 PM
Is Glue currently supported in 1.58 + PhysX 2.71? It seems not currently.

edit: I have glue working normally on my Max2010 with 1.57 + PhysX 2.71. But not on the main setup listed above. :(

Patan77
07 July 2012, 07:33 PM
Hi, I'm wondering how I should fragment a hollow object like for example a simple tube, because when I try using Voronoi then I get all these artifacts and I could use ProBoolean but then I don't get the result I want to and also the objects just explodes booth with convex and concave simulation, I can get rid of the exploding by setting the collision tolerance to 10cm on a tube that are 70cm but then it look really bad with so much intersecting geometry.

software:
3ds max 2012 64bit
Rayfire 1.58
PhysX 2.85

So does anyone have any tip on how to fracture a Tube?

http://www.patan77.com/screenshot/rayfire_tube.JPG

thanks in advance (:

---------------------------------
www.patan77.com

J-Bond
07 July 2012, 09:38 PM

cebas VB modifier eat all geometry even very complex like tube :)

DynamicBoy
07 July 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi, I'm wondering how I should fragment a hollow object like for example a simple tube, because when I try using Voronoi then I get all these artifacts and I could use ProBoolean but then I don't get the result I want to and also the objects just explodes booth with convex and concave simulation, I can get rid of the exploding by setting the collision tolerance to 10cm on a tube that are 70cm but then it look really bad with so much intersecting geometry.

Yeah, PhysX is unstable with non-convex geometry, as you say object explodes, sadly shell models generate always non-convex fragments when fracturing, PhysX cannot handle it you have to use a diferent solver , Pulldownit plugin shatter and computes fracture for shell models fast and stable. Her a demo( shell model demo start at 0.30 seg of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCRuNabfRgs&list=UUtXN4-31e4twNNqNlsSDrzw&index=10&feature=plcp

cheers

mir-vadim
07 July 2012, 08:50 PM
Concave dynamic objects supported will be added back with next minor update.
Working on RayFire Shooting free script with all removed good old shooting features, but with PhysX support now.
Also, I recommend to use PhysX 2.71. Don't know what kind of callback they added in 2.85, but sometimes it cause crash when scene saved and opened on another workstation.

adom86
07 July 2012, 11:01 AM
Dare I ask what the latest combo of files is required for Max 2012 x64 :) ... first time going back to ray fire in a long time and have PhysX System Software 9.12.0613 and PhysX plugin 2.72.0601.1047.

Trying to get demo version working but keeps saying physx not supported then in the max script error saying its not installed. I had uninstalled the previous PhyX and updated max to latest hot fixes etc then re-applied the PhysX update. Funny thing is that PhysX actually works fine in max.

It seems that one month I can get it all working fine then when going back to newer versions its just a nightmare getting the right combinations of files :D

*shall try get the version Mir mentions, but I dont hold up much hope :)

PsychoSilence
07 July 2012, 02:34 PM
Corridor Digital's new YouTube video "Head Hunters" makes massive use of RayFire :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDLlRBXQ4E&feature=g-user-u

and the making of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byi7knf-ss0&feature=g-user-f

PsychoSilence
07 July 2012, 02:37 PM

software:
3ds max 2012 64bit
Rayfire 1.58
PhysX 2.85

thanks in advance (:

---------------------------------
www.patan77.com (http://www.patan77.com)

Hi Patan,
have you checked this tutorial on hollow fragmentation?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ1793kCUtE&feature=plcp

mir-vadim
08 August 2012, 11:17 PM
Pflow support in RayFire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4wLmRBOeq0

fireknght2
08 August 2012, 01:07 AM
Pflow support in RayFire

Sweet feature Thank You Mir

mir-vadim
08 August 2012, 01:36 PM
Double Post.

mir-vadim
08 August 2012, 01:48 PM
RayFire 1.58.04 build is released.

New Build is available in Demo versions on website, in Customer areas and via About\Update menu if you have 1.58 already installed.

Changelog:

Particle Flow support. Allows to convert particles to objects and simulate them after their death.

RayFire Shooting is back. Fully functional Shooting tool is completely FREE to use and is available in Demo installers.

Support for PhysX plugin 2.86

Support for using Concave simulation meshes for Dynamic and Sleeping objects.

Modified Material Preset list. IMPORTANT: Now there are 5 less materials in Preset list. If you already have scene with set up, make sure you have the same materials after update. Now you need only to pick Material, if you need to edit it's density, friction or bounciness you can do this in new Material Presets rollout. In next build it will be possible to add new Materials in preset. Also there is new Solidity property for materials which allows tomake objects harder or easier to break during Interactive Demolition.

Home Grid as Ground property moved in Simulation Properties List.

useruser
08 August 2012, 11:57 AM
Hello everybody,
i play with the demoversion and whenever I fracture an object with a rounded/organic shape the normals on the edges of each fragment are always broken. so the problem is to render it without artefacts in the phongshading in that case.
is there a workaround to fix this?
thanks in advance!
Oli

mir-vadim
08 August 2012, 06:36 PM
THere is Animate Impact\fragments visibility checkbox in advanced properties.
When it is On, RayFire keep original obect and animate visibility for it and for fragments, so you can render solid objects until some time and then change it to fragments. maybe this can help you.

useruser
08 August 2012, 08:36 PM
ok,
thank you vadim. i forgot to say that i want to export the fragmented objects via fbx to cinema4d. i really like the different fragmentation-modes in rayfire and there is no function in cinema4d or plugin which can do the same.

joshpurple
08 August 2012, 10:49 PM
Outstanding, Thank you Vadim Mir :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/9dTqA.jpg

pauldublin
08 August 2012, 09:23 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone have any problems when using the Glue feature in the latest build? I'm just doing a really basic test of a box hitting a group of boxed and the glue doesn't seem to be working, everything breaks apart upon impact. Anyone have any tips/pointers on how to get it working?

Cheers guys,

Paul

wxyz
08 August 2012, 01:51 PM
Pflow support in RayFire
This is incredible...doesn't seem to work with sleeping objects, am I missing something?

mir-vadim
08 August 2012, 07:31 PM
What you mean? using this feature you can convert particles into dynamic objects.

wxyz
08 August 2012, 11:19 PM
It worked really well. I was using letters as particles but the wall collapsed too soon so I switched to sleeping objects (dead) and then the dynamic objects stopped being generated. Trying to see what I did wrong.

Dini009
09 September 2012, 12:23 AM
Hello Everyone! Please help! Maybe my rayfire has broken but no matter how hard I try it explodes my object like hell. I break the object with the fragment tool, then I start the simulation and it explodes, when I send the fragments to sleeping objects and I make an impact when the ball touches the object it explodes, but WHY? The teacup the cube the wall everything explodes... check the video out, somebody help me! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTtt-PD5S44&feature=youtu.be

wxyz
09 September 2012, 07:26 PM
Having problems reloading files when I restart Max. Get these cools sims and then the file will not reload.

wxyz
09 September 2012, 07:19 PM
Keep getting this error. Newer verdsion of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributible installed cannot proceed with Rayfire installation. What is the cure?

mir-vadim
09 September 2012, 09:08 PM
"Newer verdsion of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributible installed" is not an error, it is jsut warning, skip it.
As for scenes which don't load, try to install PhysX plugin 2.86.00806 build.

http://mirvadim.com/nv/286/NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_32bit_2.86.00806.03320.msi
http://mirvadim.com/nv/286/NVIDIA_PhysX_For_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_64bit_2.86.00806.03320.msi

wxyz
09 September 2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks. Not compatible with 3dsMax 2013 sp5 with latest Extension.

wallworm
09 September 2012, 02:17 PM
Mir... I have RF 1.58.06 installed. Whenever I use Check For Updates it's saying No updates for now. I also logged into the customer control panel to see if I could get 1.59 there but it only lists 1.58.

I'm looking forward to playing with cracks. (I never thought that sentence would ever come from me... but there it is!) :)

mir-vadim
09 September 2012, 03:00 PM
1. PhysX plugin doesn't need to be installed for Max 2013, RayFire supports massFx.
2. All major updates have to be donwloaded and installed, minor builds can be updated online.

garryclarke
10 October 2012, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Rayfire and just getting to grips with it. I'm having a few problems with what are (I hope) fairly simple problems.

I want to collapse a building that is made from metal beams and concrete (the concrete will break but the metal wont). I can't seem to apply 2 different materials to the Dynamic objects. Is there a way to do this?

- Garry

PsychoSilence
11 November 2012, 06:24 PM
so you want the metal to stay where it is and the concrete to crumble? Or do you want it to bend with it? in that case rayfire might not be the tool for the bending, use cloth or so.

pch90265
11 November 2012, 06:34 AM
Hi Vadim,

I'm totally new to Max (have been "a Maya guy" for 10+ years), and am playing with RayFire (demo currently) and evaluating purchasing the package. I got PhysX installed [PhysX Plug-in Version 2.86.00811.20500, PhysX SDK Version 3.2.0] and am playing with both the native cloth solvers and yours.

It's pretty clear that your stand-alone (modifier-based) fragmenter leverages multithreading -- I can see all 12 cores on my system peak nicely when it's running. However when running the PhsyX-based version in the RayFire Floater, simulations are only uses one core, and don't seem to by pushing out to my GPU for accelleration (I'm running dual Quadro-5K's, and one is tapped for PhysX in my 3DS Max config.)

I noticed that the PhsyX tool bar settings have options for "hardware acceleration" and "multithreading" as check boxes. Is your plug-in supposed to be grabbing those settings from PhysX? Or, is that something you enable in the paid version? A big draw for me to your system is the potential to leverage the horsepower I have in my GPUs, and it doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.

Appreciate you guidance on this one.

Thanks,
Sean

alfor60
11 November 2012, 05:22 PM
Good evening.
I'm trying to use the fragmentation type : SLICE - BRICKS with RAYFIRE 1.59
It works but I'm not able to obtain a wall of sigle bricks, I Always have multiple bicks along the length axis.
I have also a question, in the fragment rollout at the length:Y property there are 2 numbers what they are ? what is the frist and the second ?

Thank a lot

Phlok
11 November 2012, 09:51 PM
I fragmented a box using Rayfire (I drew the fragments). For some points, I wanted to have extra detail, I tried cutting areas out of the Rayfired geo using ProCutter compund objects (basically cylinders).

In most cases, those ProCutter cylinders killed the underlying geometry, the geo I wanted to cut into was deleted. Sometimes, the edges remained as if there was some wrong boolean calculation going on. Does anybody have an idea how to avoid that?

Tollman
11 November 2012, 09:58 PM
Draw fragmentation is a little sensitive if you dont really know what is going on, and even then it's a little hard to get stuff to work sometimes.. but some things to try out is to draw lines that cross the entire object, if it starts or ends in the object it tends to fail, so just start well outside of your object and it should be fine.
Another thing to keep in mind is crossing lines, in my experience it doesn't like when you cross lines in one sweep, so dont draw loops and stuff, but try to draw that as multiple cuts if you need to.
This should also be considered when using the noise function for the lines, if the noise gets too high (and creates internal line crossings) it tends to fail.
I'm not 100% about this, but these are my observations.

Phlok
11 November 2012, 03:58 PM
Hi, maybe anyone out there has had the same issue and knows what to do:

Rayfire 1.58.02/ Max2012

I fragment geometry using Rayfire, Voronoi - Irregular. Any scene containing this fractured geometry can be saved, but crashes max instantly when trying to load the scene.

Is there a known bug with that setup? Anything else that might help?

bhavya2
11 November 2012, 01:15 PM
Hi my name is Bhavya..
I am experiencing a strange problem with rayfire fragmentation

I have curved geometry with a shell modifier and a xform as modifiers..
i add it into the dymaic objects go to fragmentation i choose Uniform voronoi....it does the job but often leads to missinng/deleted fragments...

.i figured it was because the the arrangement of the point clouds..so check with rayfire fragment modifier adjust my point cloud and my issue is resolved(in most cases)...

now the problem arises when i further try to fragment the existing pieces using a procutter continous..a lot of pices are getting deleted and i acant afford that..
Anybody has any clue as to what might be wrong../

Thanks

Phlok
12 December 2012, 10:18 AM
That could be because the fragments don't have enough faces, anymore. You can set that in the Avanced Fragmentation options, looke here:

Face threshold: Defines fragments minimum face number. If a fragment has a lower face number than the Face threshold value it will be deleted.

And here, of course:

bhavya2
12 December 2012, 09:38 PM
I tried that it helped quite lot but i am facing a similar problem with a new setup..here is what i do
create a box to be used as ground plane...add it into static objects ...
create a box...add it into dynamic objects..fragment it into bricks
create a pf flow setup to interact with it and add it into simualtion

add the bricks into sleeping objects check dea objects option...
change the fragmentation back to voronoi uniform
all works fine...but when i bake my simulation..after it has completed doing so ..i get missing pieces in areas where my pf flow geo comes in contact
(this setup is explained in mr mir vadim's pf flow support video demonstaration)

i am using 3ds max 2011 64bit
rayfire 1.59.01

MickMoke
12 December 2012, 06:14 AM
Hi, I have a question...is it possible to just crack an object in rayfire? I'm new to the program, these are my settings: a large ground plane is set to unyielding object, material is steel. An upright square, set as an inactive object, material is concrete. an identical square behind that square set to unyielding with material set to steel. And the last object is a sphere set to the impact object, with material steel. the sphere bounces off of the square and just completley destroys it....I only need a crack..I have v1.44 by the way.

Thanks,
Mike