View Full Version : RayFire Tool

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

ChrisBore
09 September 2009, 08:42 AM
Hey guys, a few tests I've been playing with over the last couple of weeks.

http://www.chrisborefx.com/stuff/RayfireTests.mp4 (mp4, ~ 4mb)

Cheers

Chris

ThallDesign
09 September 2009, 10:59 AM

Cheers

Chris

Chris, that's EXACTLY what I was trying to achieve in my previous post about smashing through a concrete pillar. Your results are fantastic, how did you set up your scene?

I'm talking about the one where a box impacts several cylinders in a row.

EDIT: It looks like you set your smashing object as unyielding, and then animated it through the cylinders, but how did you prevent your object from intersecting with the cylinder chunks as it moved through them? That's my issue, as soon as an unyielding object moves through (intersects) an impact object, the impact object just falls through the rest of my unyielding objects such as the floor. You got past this, as I can see chunks sitting on top of your smashing object, and cleanly getting pushed out of the way.

Any insight you could give would be great!

em3
09 September 2009, 12:03 PM

Cheers

Chris

awesome tests dude! I particularly liked the column smash as well.

ChrisBore
09 September 2009, 12:18 PM
Cheers Guys,

Thal you're correct, the box is a unyielding object, but is also defined as geo in the physx tab too so it contributes to the interactive demolition.

before sim each column is fractured into around 7 - 10 objects (can't remember exactly), the option to deactivate static geo is enabled as well as activate by geo. then have interactive demolition enables, with the global hardness turned down quite low, this way as the larger initial frags get hit they split into smaller peices before they get a chance to interpenetrate, I also had the time scale down alot too - around .25 if I remember correctly.

I'm working on a new version of this at the moment, I'll post up when its ready.

Chris

ivanisavich
09 September 2009, 01:04 PM
Checked it out, its awesome and quite handy. Only problem is that much of the generated geometry is intersecting and not sitting at the same levels so it just bounces like crazy. This was from like a 15 minute test so maybe you guys will have different results. Bottom line, it's an AWESOME plugin!

Yea, I'd have to modify the script quite a bit to have it generate clean geometry for physics sims like rayfire.

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 01:28 PM
Hah, yeah, I guess that will be a nice combo in max . :)
Click a button to build house and click another one to demolish it.

to Tyson: let me know if you need any help in generating clean geometry for dynamic, will be glad to help. :)

ivanisavich
09 September 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks man :)

I take it that the main thing is that no objects can be intersecting?

Can faces of an object intersect? Or just not multiple objects? I've never used rayfire so I don't know how it breaks up the geometry.

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 01:47 PM
Well, yeah, the first and main rule is that objects should not intrpenetrate with each other.
Also, objects should be separated from each other logically.
Another super awesome feature can be that your script also will create inner walls, floors, doors, tables, chairs and other shit. For that a LOT of people will say to You Thanks. :)
Would be cool if your script will automatically set RayFire's custom material, physical and fragmentation properties which RayFire uses. So users will not do this each time.
That can be implemented very quickly and easily. Let me know if you interested and I will PM you with all info.
I think that can be a big advantage for your script if it will be able to create buildings ready for demolition. :)
Didn't tested your script yet, but will do this pretty soon for sure. :)

ivanisavich
09 September 2009, 01:53 PM
Well, yeah, the first and main rule is that objects should not intrpenetrate with each other.
Also, objects should be separated from each other logically.
Another super awesome feature can be that your script also will create inner walls, floors, doors, tables, chairs and other shit. For that a LOT of people will say to You Thanks. :)
Would be cool if your script will automatically set RayFire's custom material, physical and fragmentation properties which RayFire uses. So users will not do this each time.
That can be implemented very quickly and easily. Let me know if you interested and I will PM you with all info.
I think that can be a big advantage for your script if it will be able to create buildings ready for demolition. :)
Didn't tested your script yet, but will do this pretty soon for sure. :)

Ok thanks man :)

ThallDesign
09 September 2009, 03:35 PM
Thal you're correct, the box is a unyielding object, but is also defined as geo in the physx tab too so it contributes to the interactive demolition.

When you added the box to the PhysX influence list, did you just add the same box that hits the wall, or did you do the duplicate+enlarge+parent, then use that parent object?

Hristo uses that method in his tutorial but I've never noticed a huge difference just making the object itself the PhysX infleunce, as opposed to using an enlarged version as sort of a "shell" to activate.

I gotta get back into Max, but I just bought a Steadicam the other day... so much to practice, so little life...

PS: Once your updated version is done, could you post the .max file for the original sim you posted? The Cylinder breaking one preferably. I learn so much from tearing apart other people's projects, but it's understandable some people are protective of their workflow or methods.

ChrisBore
09 September 2009, 04:00 PM
yeah it was the same box.

I think the way Hristo did it was with a completely pre-fragged wall, so the enlarged influence obj is needed to effect more objects in the surrounding areas. Wheres I Pre-fragged mine into really big chunks (like 5- 8 per column) so I get more area effected by the smaller influence obj then Interactive demo takes care of the rest - Like most things there's a few ways to get very similar results.

I'll post a stripped down file later in the week.

Chris

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 04:59 PM
@ Chris - sweet examples. This works well. I will post an example of this soon.

@ ivanisavich - those script changes would be great; more "RF friendly".

I also do this same method, but also link a spherical Wind Force on the animated Unyielding object, and have that also affect the object. When (new) RF bombs can demolish and break objects in a range, this might be easier.

The minor problem with this is, that we can see the fragments change the surface of the object in render, and if the camera is near it. A normal trick around this is to use the original model, then 1 frame before it breaks, hide the original & unhide the fragments that have keys.

flossyrobinson
09 September 2009, 05:11 PM
em3 that is great you got it into unreal! I know this is off topic but did you have to link dummies to all the bits and export as .psk/.psa? Looks really cool! I need to try this plugin...

em3
09 September 2009, 08:45 PM
em3 that is great you got it into unreal! I know this is off topic but did you have to link dummies to all the bits and export as .psk/.psa? Looks really cool! I need to try this plugin...

yes, basically I had to copy each piece and skin it back to itself as a bone then export as psk. Problem is, Unreal Ed doesn't like any skeletal meshes over say 300ish bones so it has to come in in chunks. /off topic

;)

em3
09 September 2009, 08:15 PM
Mir, a "group fragments" check box would be handy in the fragmentation options. :)

also I create what I thought was a RF friendly setup in this script but the whole thing kind of jumps when I simulate it. Can you run it and tell me why?

Box name:"Outer2" lengthsegs:1 widthsegs:2 heightsegs:2 length:8 width:512 height:256 mapcoords:on realWorldMapSize:off
Box name:"Dave2" lengthsegs:1 widthsegs:2 heightsegs:2 length:8 width:244 height:256 mapcoords:on realWorldMapSize:off
--Box name:"base" lengthsegs:1 widthsegs:2 heightsegs:2 length:2048 width:2048 height:-8 mapcoords:on realWorldMapSize:off
select $Dave2
rotate $(angleaxis 90 [0,0,1])
$.lengthsegs = 2
move $ [0,-126,0]
dave3=copy $Outer2 position: [0,-252,0]
dave3=copy $Outer2 position: [0,-504,0]
dave3=copy $Dave2 position: [0,-378,0]
dave3=copy $Outer03 name: "outer4" position: [-260,-252,0]
rotate $outer4(angleaxis 90 [0,0,1])
dave3=copy $outer4 name: "outer5" position: [260,-252,0]

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 11:29 AM
Just run your script and simulated using PhysX.
Everything works fine.

em3
09 September 2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks Mir. Something got funky and I had to reboot. Should have done that first.

Here is something interesting that relates to an earlier question. When smashing through prefragmented geometry, if your impact object is bouncing off of the fragmented object, try slowing it down. This is working for me.

mmoses00
09 September 2009, 04:30 PM
to ivanisavich and Mir,

Go! GO! GO!

This could be a completely NUTS combination! Building generator/Destroyer.

Matt

PsychoSilence
09 September 2009, 05:29 PM
to ivanisavich and Mir,

Go! GO! GO!

Matt

thats gonna be the ultimate pre-viz tool for catastropic movies :D unfortunately a year too late for the 2012 guys but u never know when the next "we all gonna die...eventully-movie" comes out :)

kind regards,
Anselm

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 06:24 PM
General setup for a structural impact; max 2008 file (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_013_03.zip).
Some work would be needed to hide the pre-fragment edges.

http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw04.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw04.html)

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 11:48 PM
to ivanisavich and Mir,

Go! GO! GO!

Matt

OH ya this could be sweet I agree mate..............hey tyson dude put in a script that sets all the geo apart by whatever that would be a start...........Go boys.

Thanks Rob ..............your the man........

jdrouse
09 September 2009, 12:44 AM
ahhh. nice breakage Chris! Why does a clay + AO render of fractures look so damn fine?

tool2heal
09 September 2009, 03:26 AM
A slightly different approach to the standard column destruction.
Column is prefragmented into roughly 10 or so pieces.
those pieces are then moved into the inactive object list.
the ground and box/wing are both put into the unyeilding list and interactive demolishion is turned on.
and the wing is also put into the physx activation list.
i do it this way because as the box activates the fragments the elasticity pushes all of them slightly together and you get the top piece to also fall instead of having to manually activate it using the shift+mouse trick.
many other settings can be changed, but I usually go the route of moving the fragments to the inactive list. just make sure to tick the Affect on inactive boxes or it wont work.
here's a file to look at that i made sure not to sim so you can see it before and then sim and see outcome.

(max 2009)
http://rapidshare.com/files/284197443/columnBreak_03.max.html

sorry all i got is rapidshare.

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the file jason.....really cool of ya mate.

I took tyson's building generator and tried to do something with it.....haha.........just playing.....

http://www.3dglove.com/09/BUILD_RF_2.avi

Wicked
09 September 2009, 12:40 PM
@ tool2heal
Thanx for sharing. However, there are some things that need to be done before running the sim.
- the column frags need to be in the Impact list
- the box needs to be an "Deformable Unyielding"

Been strugling with this kind of effect the past few days. Eventually got it working. The key is to tick on "Deformable Unyielding". To be found by: "Options -> Open Custom Properties Rollout -> ... ". I am actually quite surprised this isn't mentioned before. Even though people kept asking how this kind of effect was achieved.
Anyway, got it working! :buttrock:

@ jimmy4d
Nice! Been busy with this combination to (building creator/demolisher :D). But strange things happened.. Therefore no preview available :P
Wil blow up a building soon though.

em3
09 September 2009, 07:51 PM
updated script for a basic RF friendly structure (for test)

Box name:"Outer01" length:16 width:512 height:256 pos:[0,256,0]
Box name:"Outer02" length:16 width:512 height:256 pos:[0,-256,0]
Box name:"InnerMid01" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[-129,0,0]
Box name:"InnerMid02" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[129,0,0]
Box name:"InnerMidLong01" length:496 width:4 height:120 pos:[0,0,0]
Box name:"Floor01" length:496 width:512 height:8 pos:[0,0,120]
Box name:"Outer03" length:528 width:16 height:256 pos:[264,0,0]
Box name:"Outer04" length:528 width:16 height:256 pos:[-264,0,0]
Box name:"InnerMid01_Upper" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[-129,0,128]
Box name:"InnerMid02_Upper" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[129,0,128]
Box name:"InnerMidLong01_Upper" length:496 width:4 height:120 pos:[0,0,128]
Box name:"Floor01__Upper" length:496 width:512 height:8 pos:[0,0,248]
Box name:"Base" length:2048 width:2048 height:-8 pos:[0,0,0]

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 05:45 AM
General setup for a localized impact or blast. max 2008 file (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw_v07d.zip).
Increase Depth level for additional debris, and this also prevents the dreaded "bounce back".
With more objects and keyframes, multiple impacts/blasts can occur.
By animating the object where you want the impact, it can localize it. :twisted:

http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw05.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw05.html)

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 12:04 PM
Robert......sweet man thanks......downloading.......playwith and post later......

"Increase Depth level for additional debris"...........thats what I'm doing wrong.

more testing.from jasons file...http://www.3dglove.com/09/piller2.avi

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 05:38 PM
No problem. You can also set which chunks you want to break more, with custom settings per chunk, or select a few chunks and lower the Material solidity. Some times objects may have to be moved, or their keyframes, if the speed of the Impact projectile changes, or the wall gets thicker or changes material.

@ em3 - cool script too!

tool2heal
09 September 2009, 07:00 PM
here's the sim and render from the file i previously posted.
notice how due to the fact that all fragments are placed into the inactive objects list this allows for a chain reaction and the bottom and top parts of the column are also affected and fall due to gravity.
because as soon as the pieces are touched by the "wing" they bump into each other sending each piece into the impact list.

I notice a lot of the column breaking tests don't have this happening, and i believe this adds realism.
because the tops shouldn't just be hanging in mid air.
be sure when you sim with interactive demolition on that your using the Bake animation button and not just the regular sim button or interactive demo does not work.

This is the outcome from the previously posted file.
All i did was open it and hit bake simulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWwlFkUlz4

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 01:24 AM
@ tool2heal - very cool. oh yeah, with other hidden objects and some nudging, the top would shake and crumble and break some, or break similar to yours. :)

em3
09 September 2009, 11:05 PM
another UT3 test - this time workflow is getting faster. Start to finish in about 3 hours. I hope to turn that into 1 hour by the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMNEEfyIIJg

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 02:35 AM
em3.....thats sweet man.....superb work man.

..that would look great in left for dead...:bowdown:

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 02:15 PM
jason sorry for the confusion I had your file ass backwards.......this is what I'm looking for...http://www.3dglove.com/09/RF/pillar3.htm

Now I move on :cool: ....... thanks for all the help you guys, would of never got this far without ya:beer:

em3
09 September 2009, 03:17 PM
Jimmy, awesome! I love how the base slowly topples. That would be neat to see a highway system collapse with it ;)

edit: I think to save some time you could copy that pillar x times and reuse it. Or maybe have like 3 different sims that you could use over and over.

Unik
09 September 2009, 04:24 AM
hey guys.. i've started with rayfire few days back now.. and now i was about to try gluing options..but the glue options aren't here under PhyX demolition properties... http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6144/rayfireprtscr.jpg

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 09:30 AM
Man, you need 1.45 version. :)

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 09:55 AM
And I need 1.46... :D

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 11:57 AM
Santa emailed me back and said he still has a lot of pull over at nvidia, he's going to get 64 bit phyx by chirstmas. Thats what I need.:D

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 12:03 PM
1.46 in progress, will be released soon. Need to test it first.

ivanisavich
09 September 2009, 12:07 PM
Santa emailed me back and said he still has a lot of pull over at nvidia, he's going to get 64 bit phyx by chirstmas. Thats what I need.:D

God I hope so :eek:

I can't believe they've waited so long to release it!

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't care that much about the 64bit, I would care deeply about finishing the cloth, metal and liquids in PhysX though.

BTW: Any of you guys try Procutter with or without Rayfire in max 2010? Seems like Procutter is quite useless.

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 04:57 PM
Nice work guys!

A mock-up Proof of Concept (influence: War of the Worlds, 2005):

Bridge Destruction (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw09.html) :twisted:

- Bridge modeled in 3ds max, then exploded with RayFire (RF)
- Stock model linked to reactor sim truck parts, 1 hinge for truck
- Baked RF sim of bridge used within reactor for truck force & trajectory
- Mockup house framework simulated with RF; using reactor baked truck objects
- No Glue used (yet)
- RF baked house keys were moved back (bomb was set to late; a cheat)
- Now working final (with new bridge, cars, and house models)

PS - hope Nvidia adds in metals, liquids, buckling wood, concave support and x64 (hehe).

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 06:05 PM
Looks like your movie is empty?

LD50
09 September 2009, 06:14 PM
It works for me Hristo, latest flash player installed?

Wicked
09 September 2009, 06:28 PM
Looks like your movie is empty?
Try this: http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw09_.flv

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 06:53 PM
I see it now, lovely! I love the hinge!

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 07:10 PM
Ok player is fixed :)
Bridge Destruction (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw09.html)

Thanks guys.

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 07:48 PM
Good news.
Quoted from Nvidia forum:

Gavin Kistner
There is a private alpha underway of the v2.0 plug-ins for Max (and Maya). The beta should be finished around the middle of October, at which point we may be opening it up for 'freeloader' testing.

Yup, the current alpha, coming beta and release are all 64-bit capable, with 2009 and 2010 support. (Currently there's also 2008 support, but we're in the progress of discussing how important that is. Does anyone reading this use Max 2008?

Even if they will not release Max 9 and Max 2008 versions, I will try to get project files and compile them.

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 08:13 PM
Freeloader testing? So they are planning to do something with it themselves... That should be interesting.

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 12:13 PM
Ok player is fixed :)
Bridge Destruction (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw09.html)

Thanks guys.

Awesome.....just awesome mate. Lost going on man.

loran
09 September 2009, 01:03 PM
hey Glacierise, your fortress remind me some recent work I ve done :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OxE2OS_OE
BTW it s done with basic PF

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah I know this one, rather enjoyable heheh :) Nice work!

Bandu
09 September 2009, 02:04 PM
Hey Hristo, where is the Fume pass in you fortress destruction ???

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 02:52 PM
You wanna see my... pass? :D Its coming dude, got one more RBD segment to do, and then I'm doing the cloth, particles and FFX. I'm working on a couple more things too ;)

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 12:35 AM
updated script for a basic RF friendly structure (for test)

Box name:"Outer01" length:16 width:512 height:256 pos:[0,256,0]
Box name:"Outer02" length:16 width:512 height:256 pos:[0,-256,0]
Box name:"InnerMid01" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[-129,0,0]
Box name:"InnerMid02" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[129,0,0]
Box name:"InnerMidLong01" length:496 width:4 height:120 pos:[0,0,0]
Box name:"Floor01" length:496 width:512 height:8 pos:[0,0,120]
Box name:"Outer03" length:528 width:16 height:256 pos:[264,0,0]
Box name:"Outer04" length:528 width:16 height:256 pos:[-264,0,0]
Box name:"InnerMid01_Upper" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[-129,0,128]
Box name:"InnerMid02_Upper" length:4 width:254 height:120 pos:[129,0,128]
Box name:"InnerMidLong01_Upper" length:496 width:4 height:120 pos:[0,0,128]
Box name:"Floor01__Upper" length:496 width:512 height:8 pos:[0,0,248]
Box name:"Base" length:2048 width:2048 height:-8 pos:[0,0,0]

em3.....
Hate to sound like a big duumy but can you explain how to use this script.........I really want to look at this......thanks man

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 01:05 AM
hey Glacierise, your fortress remind me some recent work I ve done :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OxE2OS_OE
BTW it s done with basic PF

sorry man I missed this one...............that is frickin sweet man ....haha..a bit unreal but still great for pf...I loved it.........:bowdown:

em3
09 September 2009, 02:46 AM
em3.....
Hate to sound like a big duumy but can you explain how to use this script.........I really want to look at this......thanks man

sure man, just go to maxscript editor by clicking on MAXscript in the toolbar and select maxscript editor. Paste the code into a blank tab and press ctrl+e to run :)

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 12:01 PM
thanks em3 works great..:thumbsup: ..doing some testing right now.....

tool2heal
10 October 2009, 10:59 PM
just having some fun with the rayfire bombs.
more to come.

http://img188.imagevenue.com/loc993/th_24883_render010064_122_993lo.jpg (http://img188.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=24883_render010064_122_993lo.jpg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgcTWiFjT24

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 02:55 AM
just having some fun with the rayfire bombs.
more to come.

http://img188.imagevenue.com/loc993/th_24883_render010064_122_993lo.jpg (http://img188.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=24883_render010064_122_993lo.jpg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgcTWiFjT24

yeah thats cool..............

tool2heal
10 October 2009, 07:08 PM
?

Heres another render done with Rayfire, theres also a little fume tossed in there for added effect, lol.
crits and questions are welcome.

something weird happened during render, fume just stopped rendering for the last like 20-30 frames so i had to cut the animation short and i cant for the life of me figure out why. sim ranges are all correct, its almost like the environment effect was randomly turned off at a certain frame, oh well. here you go.

http://img131.imagevenue.com/loc540/th_69699_render01_0049_122_540lo.jpg (http://img131.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=69699_render01_0049_122_540lo.jpg)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmugGnwLBBg

I really should have taken the time to texture, render with GI in final render instead of scanline, and render out an AO pass but i was kinda in a hurry, I will next time.
Peace.

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 12:05 PM
?

Heres another render done with Rayfire, theres also a little fume tossed in there for added effect, lol.
crits and questions are welcome.

something weird happened during render, fume just stopped rendering for the last like 20-30 frames so i had to cut the animation short and i cant for the life of me figure out why. sim ranges are all correct, its almost like the environment effect was randomly turned off at a certain frame, oh well. here you go.

http://img131.imagevenue.com/loc540/th_69699_render01_0049_122_540lo.jpg (http://img131.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=69699_render01_0049_122_540lo.jpg)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmugGnwLBBg

I really should have taken the time to texture, render with GI in final render instead of scanline, and render out an AO pass but i was kinda in a hurry, I will next time.
Peace.

real nice Jason..looks sweet man....but darn you I'm siming right now the same thing HAHA...looks like I'll have to changes things up now....working on more random frags...

a little test.... http://www.3dglove.com/09/RF/wall3.avi

gongjinhu
10 October 2009, 04:15 PM
o my god! thanks!

PexElroy
10 October 2009, 05:25 PM
Cool stuff guys ;)

Some wood and structure R&D:
http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw12.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw12.html)

PsychoSilence
10 October 2009, 06:01 PM
thats looks pretty dang sweet!

is it always prefractured and glued using the breakable feature?

PexElroy
10 October 2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks, no glue used in these passes yet, as the more objects in a Glue system, the more RAM and time it seems to take to start the sim. The front beams were pre-cut, the first pass are those cuts. Then turned on demolish for more frags from those originals.

EDIT: looking good mir

mir-vadim
10 October 2009, 07:56 PM
Is such wood splintering good enough for You? :)
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RayFire146_WoodSplinters.avi
2400 fragments by the way.

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 01:32 AM
Cool stuff guys ;)

http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw12.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw12.html)

wow thats amazing dude......

em3
10 October 2009, 04:52 PM
Cool stuff guys ;)

awesome PexElroy! Did you do the warping @ 0:33 in your editing program?

Which brings me to a question about deforming meshes. Can Rayfire deform (twist and bend) like a piece of metal (one solid mesh)?

Unik
10 October 2009, 03:41 AM
hey guys... i m facing a rift related problem in my shot.. even if tick the fill rifts option then also filled rifts are not showing.. hope you guys could help me out.. i've checked almost all possible options i could.. but still it wouldn't help.. thanks :) http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1988/rifts.jpg

PexElroy
10 October 2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys :)

@ em3 - the pass with a sonic wave was time scaled in comp, with a slight ripple distortion. That blast was done using the RF Bomb and Shock Wave.

mir-vadim
10 October 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Unik, sorry but for now Voronoi frag type doesn't support Fill rifts feature.

Unik
10 October 2009, 04:09 AM
Hi Unik, sorry but for now Voronoi frag type doesn't support Fill rifts feature.
aww.. okay.. so now I've to do everything again manually .. :rolleyes: thanks for your reply :)

wreath
10 October 2009, 10:24 AM
Cool splinters Mir! looking forward for more! awesome tests btw Robert "PexElroy" :thumbsup:

Wicked
10 October 2009, 02:37 PM
Sometimes when my pc is simulating, it looks like Max has crashed, but after a (few) Alt-Escapes I manage to bring up the Rayfire-progressbar and see that it is still busy.

So is it possible to make a solid progress-bar (containing the time needed/elapsed for a sim)? Something like the renderprogress-bar that's inside Max.

Winsows7, Max 2010 32b here.

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 01:48 AM
hey yeah .....i too see this all the time.......good idea mate......

mir-vadim
10 October 2009, 08:18 AM
well, yes, I think it is possible, not in upcoming 1.46. of course, but in next version for sure.

em3
10 October 2009, 04:51 PM
Getting ready to film the Helicopter scene. This is my initial run. Please ignore the horrid particles and weak animation. I think for this I will need to prefracture the Helicopter and then use glue to have it ripped apart when it gets hit. In this scene it gets hit by a ball (hidden)

Also for the rotar blades, can I anchor one end of the blades and have them slam into a something to simulate a real blade. Right now, the blades are still and I have something slamming into them. The rotation is animated in Unreal Engine.

www.treadster.com/helitest.wmv (2MB)

mir-vadim
10 October 2009, 02:56 PM
Hey all.
Just release 1.46 :)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=816620

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 12:53 AM
Hey all.
Just release 1.46 :)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=816620

sweet Mir..........

:beer:

em3
10 October 2009, 03:58 AM
yes thanks Mir. Had some problems with a quick splinter test (hung computer).

here is an update of the helicopter getting hit, still a WIP ofc.

http://www.treadster.com/helitest.wmv 5MB

VicMad3d
10 October 2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks, Mir.
I have two question. Physx works with meters,kg and Newtons, so if I use centimeters instead of meters, the mass of objects must be changed to x100? The gravity value of RF_Physx is a multiplier of internal value -9.8, isn`t there?

How can access to parameters of mass, elasticity ,etc of objects by maxscript? For automate this process.

Thanks!

mir-vadim
10 October 2009, 04:59 PM
You can access to parameters by activating Custom Object Properties and defining these properties by yourself, to assign properties you need use that code:

setuserProp n "rfuseprop" true
setuserProp n "rfmater" mater.selection
setuserProp n "rffrict" frict.value
setuserProp n "rfelast" elast.value
setuserProp n "rfmass" mass.value
setuserProp n "rfvolmass" false
setuserProp n "rffragtp" fragtp.selection
setuserProp n "rfiter" iter.value
setuserProp n "rfchaos" chaos.value
setuserProp n "rfdetal" detal.value
setuserProp n "rfnoise" noise.value
setuserProp n "rfsolid" solid.value
setuserProp n "rfdepth" depth.value
setuserProp n "rfdeform" false
setuserProp n "rfdeact" false

In this way you can assign mass, friction and elasticity and other parameters, like fragmentation type, solidity, etc.

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 12:07 PM
looking good em3.......:thumbsup:

here are some new test I did.....I will start working on the glue option.I need it I think.

http://www.3dglove.com/09/RF/playblast_RFavi.avi (http://www.3dglove.com/09/RF/playblast_RFavi.avi)

http://www.3dglove.com/09/RF/wall_piller.avi (http://www.3dglove.com/09/RF/wall_piller.avi)

pauldublin
10 October 2009, 04:21 PM
Great work James, especially the pillar one. Did it take long to sim?

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 11:57 AM
Great work James, especially the pillar one. Did it take long to sim?

Thanks mate...yeah the sim time was crazy....would be nice to stop sim take a look if you like then keep and take up were you left off, if not you could adjust then resim....(sorta like FFX.) right now if I'm baking my sim and stop it's gone.

mir-vadim
10 October 2009, 12:09 PM
Actually you can start Bake simulation, hit Pause, play animation to see it in real time, set timeslider to frame where you paused simulation and then uncheck Pause to continue simulation.

pauldublin
10 October 2009, 02:10 PM
There's your answer James, great stuff.

Mir, congrats on an awesome plugin the stuff it can do is amazing.

jimmy4d
10 October 2009, 09:46 PM
ahhhhh.ok cool (:lightbulb big dummy) thanks Mir

thomaskc
10 October 2009, 12:17 AM
Hi everyone, long time since.

I just got a bit time to play around and I loaded a rather highpoly model around 450.000 poly and made a simple blowup of it.

http://www.thomaskc.dk/wip/rayfire/highpoly_vase.avi

As you can see the fragments won't lie still on the ground as id want them to.

the scene units are in inches, the rollout units are in cm (shouldnt really matter?).

its made with rayfire 1.46 and collision tollerance at 0,1cm (this is tricky to figure out when its not inches and "generic units")
time scale is 0,5.

point is, any of you got any experience making it work as it should with scene setup not being inches and generic units? in cm and m things just go wacko.

thanks in advance.

- Thomas

mir-vadim
10 October 2009, 12:25 PM
Try to increase a little bit Collision dampingm, like 0.05

SerdarVFX
10 October 2009, 07:07 PM
Hi MirVadim

do you plan to release Rayfire for 64bit Max with PhysX support?
The 64bit SDK is released and Oleg already gave his particle toolbox a update with full native 64bit physx.

I hope you release it soon...I really would like to try rayfire out and than buy a student license.

Greetings

thomaskc
10 October 2009, 10:00 PM
I tweaked both the collision tolerance and the damping and the result ended up like this:

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/Rayfire/highpoly_vase_take2.avi

PexElroy
11 November 2009, 06:47 PM
Pretty cool vase blast Thomas. :)

jlelievre
11 November 2009, 12:46 AM
I am running into an issue with Rayfire when trying to fragment a mesh, only to have Rayfire go through the process and leave me with the same geometry I started with I have a mask model I am trying to shatter/break apart and when I hit 'fragment impact objects' it goes through the process, but gives me the same geometry I started with? I have tried to fragment the mask geometry on various occasions and only a handful of times has it given me to 10-15 pieces I am after.

Is there a known reason why it might be doing this?

huschi
11 November 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi together,

please, is it possible to use the Debris functionality without an gun-object? Instead an normal impact for example. Any suggestions: thanks in advance.

mir-vadim
11 November 2009, 01:15 PM
to SerdarVFX: I will able to release RayFire with 64 bit support only after nvidia will release PhysX plugin 2.0

to Intrinsia: I think problem in geometry you try to fragment. Can you send it to me so I will try to find out what it the problem. Also, which RayFire You use? if it is not 1.46, then try to get it and use it.

to huschi: Debris works only with shooting, but you don't need gun to create it. try to use Instant Action feature.

jlelievre
11 November 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Mir! I sent you an email with the file. Thanks for taking a look; much appreciated! :)

em3
11 November 2009, 08:43 PM
hey all, just released a trailer to my lil movie. I used rayfire to make all of the fragmenting seen in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpaOj6NcXuU

always a wip of course, cheers!

jimmy4d
11 November 2009, 01:10 PM
em3 dude that looks bad A all the way man. the audio is killer........keep it up man looking awesome... :thumbsup:

PexElroy
11 November 2009, 01:19 PM
Awesome shots em3. The sounds and fx are real cool. ;)

iceman32
11 November 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi all, still no support for PhysX x64 on RayFire?
Nvidia has released it, and Oleg updated his Box#2 for full support. Hope we soon can see RayFire with that.

mir-vadim
11 November 2009, 08:17 PM
RayFire with 64 bit support is in progress, it already works but a lot of modifications still have to be done. Also, I am unable to release until Nvidia will release new PhysX plugin for public.

SerdarVFX
11 November 2009, 11:04 AM
hmm...this can take up to 4 months if you wait for official public release...although its not officially released, oleg already ships full 64bit version....I think developers have permission for commercial release since gavin (the producer of the plugin) asked me, for which company I will use the beta....I think that it is ok to use it in commercial projects but i dont know of a permission to sell it (well, oleg sells too :D)

how much is the price for a student version (for non commercial usage)?

superhypersam
11 November 2009, 06:40 PM
Oleg is not using a 64 bit version, he wrote his own custom wrapper.

not the same as using the official nvidia 64x version.

cheers

sam

Glacierise
11 November 2009, 07:04 PM
Not any more:
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2513

jimmy4d
11 November 2009, 12:28 PM
were getting closer...........

SerdarVFX
11 November 2009, 01:09 PM
waiting for soo long time :) I think in some weeks x64 is ready (I hope so :D)

Unik
11 November 2009, 07:09 AM
hey guys..
i was trying to demolish this building but things weren't going right.. it is not fragmenting at all.. i've tried various ways.. but no luck... maybe you could help me figure out where the problem lies... Thanxx in advance
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/82/rayfireprob.jpg
Cheers..
Nikita

mir-vadim
11 November 2009, 09:27 AM
Can you attach scene only with building?

Unik
11 November 2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah sure here's the file (http://rapidshare.com/files/313312264/gateway_of_india.rar.html) ... and thanks for the reply :)

mir-vadim
11 November 2009, 11:59 AM
Hm, "The uploader has removed this file from the server."

Unik
11 November 2009, 12:03 PM
Sorry.. fixed now http://rapidshare.com/files/313329544/gateway_of_india.rar.html

Unik
11 November 2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks.. that issue is resolved now... But another question now... can i glue already fragmented objects??? like I've fragmented the building separately but now i want them to show properties of gluing.. I know i m missing something.. not sure what... hope you could point out :)

Cheers...

tool2heal
11 November 2009, 01:31 AM
yep pretty sure this is the setup.

1. fragment the object.
2. group the fragments.
3. in the physics tab under other options
change "treat group as" to a group of objects
4. under glue options check the "glue objects in groups" option.
5. simulate.

Take care man, good luck with your scene.

ddustin
11 November 2009, 01:54 AM
Like the title says, I wanted to punch a hole through an object..

There were some work arounds to get it to behave the way i wanted, but we got there eventually.

Here is the link: http://www.dustinproductions.com/wip/Rayfire/globe-smash-djd.mp4

David

Unik
11 November 2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks tools2heal :) for you reply.. there it was .. don't know why i was trying glue demolished instead grouping fragments and gluing groups :surprised .. Thanks again..

PexElroy
11 November 2009, 01:26 PM
Smokin' guys - nice work.

@ ddustin: Nice "punch through" man. There are a few work-arounds to smashing through a localized part of an object with RF. I have one method on page 86 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=453224&page=86&pp=15), second post, with a max 2008 file you can review :)

fael097
12 December 2009, 12:39 AM
hey mir vadim and everyone!

i'm having a big trouble with rayfire to achieve 2 things:
1-baseball hits a glass
2-brick wall without having to model all the bricks

the baseball on a glass is more like a standard example for glass breaking, and i've seen many good results people achieving on maya with blast code, but this wont look good on max, maybe because of the fragmentation type, or maybe im just setting it wrong. so i would like some tips to get this effect if possible

second problem is when i try to destroy a wall of bricks... if i make a simple box, it will fragment it like concrete, so it would be cool to have a fragmentation that shapes it like bricks, i believe volume braker has it, so is there a way to effective simulate this on rayfire?

thanks!

mir-vadim
12 December 2009, 08:44 PM
Hi, can you describe what you get with baseball and glass scene and what you want to get, because for now I just don't know what kind of help do you need.
Brick fragmentation type si a good idea I will remember it for future releases.

mmoses00
12 December 2009, 08:51 PM
Mir,

We just wrapped our latest cinematic for Ubisoft. Thank you very much for Rayfire!
I was able to tackle crumbling Pillars and ceilings with relative ease, completing visual effects shots the same day I started the scene!

Complicated Destruction shots were done in 1-2days instead of 1-2 weeks.

One thing was that I realized I should have played with it more before I actually went into production shots with it.... as I found certain settings After the shots were finaled... that I wished I used... like "fill rifts" and building geo/destruction in 2 or more passes.. so I could get a fine crumble to NOT interfere with general large chunks...

The cinematic airs this Saturday during Spike Channels 2009 Game Awards show.
Keep in mind people that Ubi gave us this project 8 weeks ago... so from NOTHING to 25 shots of crazy dust storm, buildings falling, effects work in 8 weeks.... as opposed to the 6 months Blur and others get .. and 10x budgets. So... it may not be feature film screening ready.. but its still VERY cool and gets people excited about the game (My biased Opinion)

mir-vadim
12 December 2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds awesome, I am glad that RF helped to You. :)
Post here please when cinematic will be released.

Stefan-Morrell
12 December 2009, 03:58 AM
building geo/destruction in 2 or more passes.. so I could get a fine crumble to NOT interfere with general large chunks...

hey guys..is there a tut available for that..or is there a section in the manual that covers it?..I'm sure I've seen it before but now that I need it I cant find it
thanks

ChrisBore
12 December 2009, 07:07 AM
Glacerise did some tuts on multi layered sims I believe, check his site out.
Take it easy,

Chris

Glacierise
12 December 2009, 03:19 PM
@Matt: Awesome, I'd love to see that! Will it be available online after the airdate?

By the way - the 64bit PhysX plugin got leaked : http://physxinfo.com/news/1028/leak-week-physx-dcc-2-0-beta-plug-in-this-time/

fael097
12 December 2009, 05:55 PM
hey mir

well, basically i want some kind of radial fragmentation for breaking glass. maybe i could glue the borders so some cracks will remain on glass, and that would look sweet, the real problem is the radial frags, so i was wondering if can only be achieved fragmenting stuff manually or not.
thanks

Glacierise
12 December 2009, 07:27 PM
You can do it with splines or draw fragment mode.

fael097
12 December 2009, 08:55 PM
hm interesting... and how would i break the mesh with splines? i believe drawing splines would be easier to do!

Bandu
12 December 2009, 09:16 PM
you switch to a view you see your "wall" the best and drew a spline
add you "wall" to RF objects, select the spline you just drawn and hit the button

fael097
12 December 2009, 10:38 PM
hum... wich button? lol

fael097
12 December 2009, 11:36 PM
ok, i think this is just not working... i draw the splines with draw fragment mode on, but when im finished drawing, nothing happens, draw fragments works fine, but not with splines. what should i do?

Glacierise
12 December 2009, 01:57 AM
Here's a tut: http://cg.glacierise.com/blog/?p=421

Stefan-Morrell
12 December 2009, 09:59 AM
Glacerise did some tuts on multi layered sims I believe, check his site out.
Take it easy,

Chris

yea thanks..I already had it saved to the hard drive too.

& thanks again Glacierise for the tuts

fael097
12 December 2009, 05:34 PM
seriously people, its not working, i did as everyone said.

You define Impact objects, then go to Draw Fragment Mode and draw spline shapes in viewport, when You exit, RayFire cut impact objects on fragments using drown splines. I will try to share first results as soon as possible.

i'll describe what i do step by step:
i create a box, then i switch to front viewport.
open rayfire floater, add the box as impact object
then i go to fragmentation tab, click on draw fragment mode
at that click, my shape changes its color
and then i select create splines/line and i draw it in front of the box. then i close the spline, right click the viewport to exit line creation mode, and then right click again to exit draw fragment mode in rayfire.

then the following happens: my shape goes back to its original color my viewport changes it size, like it centers the shape in the viewport, like clicking the Zoom Extents All button, the draw fragment button becomes unclicked, and nothing happens, my geometry isnt broken at all, and my spline is just standing there.

also, if i try to exit the spline mode other than right clicking, my viewport becomes unstable, creating objects in really weird axis, like on the diagonal on front viewport, or horizontally on the perspective, etc.
if i reset my scene, the draw fragment button becomes unclickable

whats happening?

ChrisBore
12 December 2009, 08:59 PM
I think your following the wrong method. Are you trying to cut an object with a spline? If so follow these steps.

1) create an impact object
2)create a spline (or any other poly object for that matter) in the view you want to cut the impact object.
3) add your object as an impact object, select your spline object in the correct view. Move along to the fragment tab in the floater, scroll to the bottom of the tab. Hit the cut objects button, your impact object should now be split.

Hope this helps

chris

fael097
12 December 2009, 10:58 PM
i love you forever dude, finally someone managed to explain it :)
sorry for the inconvenience when i was actually doing the wrong thing, just needed a proper explanation!

cheers!

mir-vadim
12 December 2009, 12:21 AM
Here is tutorial about Draw frag mode.
You don't needto create shapes in this mode, you just need to draw spline moving cursor after you started this mode.
In case spline doesn't appear, decrease step property in draw frag options.
http://mirvadim.com/videos/tut/RayFire133DrawFragMode.avi

fael097
12 December 2009, 07:40 PM
ok i learned how to do this, but i spent the whole day modeling cracked glass shaped splines like this:
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2066/gfrags.jpg

and rayfire just wont cut my shape that way.

mir-vadim
12 December 2009, 10:55 PM
can you attach file with created shape?

plejboy
12 December 2009, 02:17 PM
Anyone have any news on PhysX 64bit OR when RF will start implementing it?
I know, we will all have to wait but I want it now.... :cry:

NottaFinga
12 December 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi, i just got Rayfire 1.45 on 3ds max 2010 and no matter what scene i have set up, any setting for rayfire at all, reactor and physx both crash as soon as I hit the create animation button, on the progress bar at the bottom, it says setting up scene and it stops at 70%. ive tried re installing physx but that didnt help, I think it might be because of vista, but can anyone help me?

fael097
12 December 2009, 05:27 PM
@ mir

here it is, its just a segment of the whole shape, but i cant cut both lines for some reason.
thanks

jigu
12 December 2009, 05:34 PM
Anyone have any news on PhysX 64bit OR when RF will start implementing it?
I know, we will all have to wait but I want it now.... :cry:

I don't know where but someone has posted link to 64bit Physx before.

I just don't remember where I saw.

PexElroy
12 December 2009, 07:39 PM
Slap comp - Door blast (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw15.html). :twisted:

fael097
12 December 2009, 01:51 PM
Slap comp - Door blast (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw15.html). :twisted:

nice dude! great fire simulation, only thing i think, i dont know if you're using the fire's light with global illumination or fake lights, but i think your fire should illuminate the environment a little more, and its opacity is too high, like you can see too much through the fire, other than that, its great!

PexElroy
12 December 2009, 02:52 PM
@ fael097 - thanks. :)

fael097
12 December 2009, 10:59 PM
hey people
so i finished my glass breaking animation, im not totally happy with the simulation, it could be more realistic, when the glass breaks, the "bullet" object push the impact fragments, and those fragments should pull the surrounding fragments with it, and those pull their neighbours with less strenght, until its not strong enough to pull or break their neighbours, but what actually happened here is that only the center frags are pulling the glued frags, the other ones are just falling like they were already broken, and thats not realistic. a better result could probably be achieved with rayfire playing a little more than i did with the glue settings, but thats just a fast result, im not gonna use this for anything, its just a test, so its ok for that.

here's my animation, tell me what you think! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QNEvxA9XY

cheers!

jimmy4d
12 December 2009, 02:27 PM
rob-............nice one mate, looks sweet, Like the fire on the peices that hit the floor.

fael097........glass came out nice man, good job.

PexElroy
01 January 2010, 04:01 PM
@ fael097 - this is good, considering RayFire does not understand glass as real glass (yet). To get the result you want, you can use a box with steps, like a pyramid shape, then make it unyielding so you can keyframe it, and then slowly have it push into the glass; the glass would be Inactive. This slow push of the stepped pyramid object would give you close results to a push through. Blast Code handles this better because of its internal interconnects of the pre-fractured bits.

@ jimmy - thanks man, going to revisit it this week, now that I have more RAM ;)

fael097
01 January 2010, 12:15 AM
thanks elroy!
some sort of glass fragmentation would be a good implement on next rft versions!
also now that physx 64bit was released i hope mir update rft soon
cheers and happy new year folks

pauldublin
01 January 2010, 11:25 PM
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Rayfire, the place I work for just bought it.

A quick question, I want to smash an object through a wall. Do I have to pre-fragment the wall object or is there a way to have the wall fragment and break up upon impact from the other object? Sorry if it's a silly question.

Paul

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 01:47 AM
You can create effect you want in both ways.
In case you want to break wall at impact you should check On Demolish Geometry checkbox in interactive demolition rollout, start baking simulation. If wall will not be destroyed try to play with solidity property.
let me know if you will have more help.

SerdarVFX
01 January 2010, 04:37 PM
mir, how is 64bit version doing?

pauldublin
01 January 2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Mir,

I tried that but the oblect hitting the wall broke up also..

Am I doing the right thing by animating the object to hit the wall? Sorry if this is vague by me I'm only starting to learn it!

ThallDesign
01 January 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Mir,

I tried that but the oblect hitting the wall broke up also..

Am I doing the right thing by animating the object to hit the wall? Sorry if this is vague by me I'm only starting to learn it!

This is because you're throwing a brittle object at a brittle object. Open the custom properties menu and enable Custom Properties for the object you're throwing into your wall. Now you can tell it to be Lead, Titanium, or another type of metal. Metals don't break up in Rayfire, only rock, brick, and brittle types of materials do.

Check out the tutorials on Mir's site.

EDIT: What I usually do is animate my object from point A to point B, then tell Rayfire to start my simulation halfway in between the two keyframes. This method works best for impact objects only.

pauldublin
01 January 2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the help man, that's made it a bit clearer.

thanks

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 04:42 PM
Hey everyone. :)
Well, what can I say, RayFire Tool 1.49 Beta with 64 bit PhysX support is ready to use.
Due to some new PhysX plugin restrictions some old features are not available atm, that is why it is 1.49 Beta. For now there is no Glueing and Imposible to use Grouped objects. But the most needed features like dynamic simulation and Interactive demolition work fine.
Also, since Nvidia still didn't release PhysX plugin for public, you will need to get it and install manually.
You can get it here:
http://developer.nvidia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3990&st=0&start=0

For first 1-2 weeks 1.49 beta will be available only for licensed users.
To get it, please email to me with request and I will add it in your customer area.

P.S. Do not uninstall older 32 bit RayFire versions.

SerdarVFX
01 January 2010, 08:48 PM
Nice, there is progress^^
Will Glueing feature and using groups be available shortly after the beta or is it a missing feature in the actual x64 nvidia physx plugin?...i hope not because being depended on nvidia is horrible *joke*

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 08:54 PM
there is no glue because I didn't add it back yet, and grouped objects support because there is not such support in PhysX plygin anymore, but NV will add it back in next plugin versions.

SerdarVFX
01 January 2010, 09:14 PM
perfect...the glueing feature is really a must have and good, that this feature is not nvidia depended :)

so, any ETA for release date of 1.49 WITH Glue feature? Cant really wait to get my hands on it...x86 ade^^

cheers

plejboy
01 January 2010, 03:20 PM
Hey everyone. :)
Well, what can I say, RayFire Tool 1.49 Beta with 64 bit PhysX support is ready to use.

Great news Mir-Vadim!
Funny I got the news exactly when we finished this:
http://www.vimeo.com/8761291
Could definitely have had great use of a 64 bit version when we made it.

Either way it's awesome news.

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 04:56 PM
Did you use RayFire for that explosion?

plejboy
01 January 2010, 05:03 PM
Did you use RayFire for that explosion?

Of coarse! Absolutely love it! :)

Explosion was made with:
Shards - Rayfire
Cloth - Ncloth
Rendered with vray for maya.
Smoke - Particular and Footage in After Effects

All good in the hood!

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 05:37 PM
Awesome :)
Will put it on Videos page if you don't mind. :)

JohnnyRandom
01 January 2010, 05:42 PM
Great news Mir-Vadim!
Funny I got the news exactly when we finished this:
http://www.vimeo.com/8761291
Could definitely have had great use of a 64 bit version when we made it.

Either way it's awesome news.

Great job! :beer:

plejboy
01 January 2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys!
It was on a deadly deadline. :)

@Mir. Sent you an pm.

PsychoSilence
01 January 2010, 06:06 PM
that's a sweet effect you guys did there!

I think Mir contacted you already if the video can be posted on the RF website :) Congratulations to the Stash DVD pick too! You very much deserve it.

with kind regards,
Anselm

wreath
01 January 2010, 12:23 AM
Great job as usual Arvid :D

I did a little fx shot to try out RayFire's splintering feature with a relatively bigger scale model, you can take a look at here.
(http://www.yeatvfx.com/works/wooden--bridge.html)
cheers

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 12:35 AM
WTF, are you sure that you used RayFire for that?
Man, you don't stop surprise me. :)
Super amazing shot. :beer:
What you used for dynamic simulation and for bending metal?

Just in case,
RayFire Tool 1.49 beta with 64 bit PhysX support is ready to use (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6297974&postcount=1408)

ddustin
01 January 2010, 01:07 AM
Excellent Job wreath!

NahuelL
01 January 2010, 11:30 AM
That's awesome!

plejboy
01 January 2010, 12:04 PM
WOW Wreath! Love the fumefx integration.
What's your basic approach to things like this IF I may ask?
want a job? ;)

@mir. Getting you the info asap.

Glacierise
01 January 2010, 12:48 PM
Yigit, awesome work again dude!

JohnnyRandom
01 January 2010, 05:32 PM
Wreath yeah!

Mir, 64-bit? cool, hook me up :D

PsychoSilence
01 January 2010, 05:51 PM

I did a little fx shot to try out RayFire's splintering feature with a relatively bigger scale model, you can take a look at here.
cheers

WOW, easily the best NON-Blur shot i've seen so far. You used the gun feature to trigger the breaking? Any insight would be awesome!

Anselm

jigu
01 January 2010, 04:07 AM

cheers

wow great job on this! I was wondering, Is destruction of wooden bridge in the beginning happening based on fire explosions intensity and scale? It looks perfect. :D

Also reminds be end shot from movie "Tropical thunder". :) (just recently watched on HBO)

PexElroy
01 January 2010, 04:11 AM
Excellent wreath - :twisted:

Great all round. Fume is slick and the breaking path. Any vip info is welcome ;)
How'd you do the splintering in RF?

wreath
01 January 2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks guys..

@ Mir

All the simulation done with RayFire. For bending roof: first, simulated it as an impact object along with other rigid bodies(ones that I grouped/simulated before as heavy objects) then did some flex/keyframe animation as second layer,point cached & exported the final animated roof geometry then used it again in the final simulation with that way, roof has affected by heavy rigid bodies while affecting/pushing other light rigid bodies around.

@ Arvid

I have planned the general motion before starting to fracture geometries and layering the bridge as 5 main groups(like tower/surface boards/railings/leg supports etc.) which have individual light/heavy & yielding/unyielding geometries then did several rough simulations to see which areas gonna damaged/fractured more. After that fractured all the geometries at different levels and simulated the rigid bodies.
After RBD's did the particle stuff with TP (splinters/wood chips) and finally did the FFX simulations as 4 individual containers(FFX simulations have also driven by TP setup)
sent you a p.m

@ Anselm

For triggering I did use mostly forces, btw updated the video, added some close up RBD previs stuff.

@ Jignesh

:) sharp eyes Jignesh, yes they do, FFX emission driven by TP particles that have relation with triggering forces via "param block" node within TP (Simply idea is like: if the force that pushing rigid bodies have 4.0 radius then give the same value to the particles's spawn distance) so smoke cluster and damaged surface matched together.
And yes! Tropic Thunder was my inspiration, a little different touch with the falling tower. What a hilarious movie btw, man I love Downey Jr. :D

@ Robert
Robert, RayFire 1.46 came with "wood splinters over z axis" fragmentation type. :buttrock:
glad ! you guys liked it cheers :beer:

PexElroy
01 January 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the insight wreath.

Odd, when I use the RF 'wood splinters over z axis', I get clean and simple 3D boxes and rectangles, and none of them have spikey "teeth" like in your wood. mmm :surprised

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 03:53 PM
Which properties you use?
There is a tutorial about wood splinters frag. type on my website.

PexElroy
01 January 2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks Mir/wreath - I did not notice or change the Noise strength field for the wood frag. :drool:

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 12:48 PM
perfect...the glueing feature is really a must have and good, that this feature is not nvidia depended :)

so, any ETA for release date of 1.49 WITH Glue feature? Cant really wait to get my hands on it...x86 ade^^

cheers

Just figured out main glueing problem, so Full 1.5 release will be pretty soon. :)

slime
01 January 2010, 01:09 PM
Nice work, wreath!

Just figured out main glueing problem, so Full 1.5 release will be pretty soon. :)
Looking forward to it! :thumbsup: I hope I can show you soon some of the work we have been doing with Rayfire.

pauldublin
01 January 2010, 01:41 PM
Yigit, an excellent piece of work, well done again!

em3
01 January 2010, 02:15 AM
Hey guys, I am trying to Delete all original objects from my scene after I run the sim but nothing disappears.

I have clicked the Tools > delete all original objects but they just hang around. How do I get rid of them? Thanks!

all of the boxes in this shot have been blown up.

http://www.treadster.com/rf_origObjects.jpg

PexElroy
01 January 2010, 03:19 PM
@ em3 - Not had this happen to me yet, but you may have somehow jacked the steps in RF, in your file, and when you try to delete all the objects, it is not sure what to delete (a guess).

Try to see if it is working, make a new simple box in a new scene and break it up 4 or 5 times, so you have a few RF frag selection sets, then try Tools > 'Delete all original objects'. Then move the frags around and do an Unhide All, see if the originals are gone.

If this does not work, try to linnk us a .max file we can look over, that may help too if you've not discovered the problem yet. :)

em3
01 January 2010, 05:08 PM
jeo! Yeah I made the boxes into glass objects and then put a non glass material on them. I def did something wrong in the steps. I will go back and redo the scene to see what. Thanks PexElroy!!

mir-vadim
01 January 2010, 05:49 PM
Also you might use Clear RayFire info function in Tools manu.
After that RayFire will not be able to get Original object to delete them.

em3
01 January 2010, 04:16 AM
It was a workflow issue, my bad! It's working great. This plugin is worth every penny Mir. Thank you sir!

em3
01 January 2010, 09:19 AM
A project I am working on in unreal engine using Rayfire for fracturing and sim

http://www.treadster.com/Com1Render.jpg

http://www.treadster.com/Com2Render.jpg

http://www.treadster.com/Com3Render.jpg

Wish I could say more about it but you will be seeing it in a couple weeks! It's by far the most fracturing I have brought into unreal engine.

plejboy
01 January 2010, 11:15 AM
Hey guys!
Got a bit of a situation here.
I've fractured up an object using uniform voronoi and I keep getting some stray vertices away from the actual object. Which in turn places the pivot point in the wrong place. So when I bring the objects into pflow the rotation obviously goes out the window.

Is this a known problem or would it be nice to have a tickbox to "remove isolated vertices".
Or does "remove middle edge vertices" work for this?

EDIT: While writing this I solved it (a bit backwards) by Selecting all objects, adding an edit poly and hitting "remove isolated vertices". then I just selected the elements and chose detach.

How do you guys handle these situations?

em3
01 January 2010, 07:05 AM
Why is it sometimes my objects inherit their momentum at the start frame sometimes and then other times they act like the start frame is their initial movement. I am pulling my hair out here trying to figure it out.

em3
01 January 2010, 07:26 AM
I had to close Max, start new scene, then import the meshes and now it's starting to work. I cleared the Rayfire data from the scene. Is there something else to do to troubleshoot?

em3
01 January 2010, 09:21 PM
So, I have learned something...

I had taken my model and prefractured it @ uniform 5/2 three times. I then changed the fracture settings to 3/1 and ran the Sim with a depth setting of 2. Seemed to work until this one model. The thing took FOREVER to simulate...like 7+ hours when I added my impact object to be unyielding (because bounce back happened the other way CONSTANTLY)

So I played with it but could not get it to simulate efficiently. So what I did was to rebuild the entire model, re'uv'd it, and refractured it but this time only 5/2 two times. Then, I up'd the fracture to 30/1 @ a depth level of 1. Simulates much faster now. I wish there was "templates" you could press a button and all the settings would make it so it simulates properly. Perhaps I just need to use it more.

PexElroy
02 February 2010, 05:22 PM
@ plejboy - strange, I have not seem floating isolated vertices when I use the uniform Voronoi. It could be related to the mesh being cut or how ProBoolean handles some cuts.

@ em3 - Yeah the model cutting is real important so it is PhysX friendly. If your mesh has a lot of pointy ends, it can do strange things and pop around like popcorn from face interpenetrations. Would be nice to have presents, but RF needs human interaction to work well, mostly cause of the PhysX simulator having some artistic control.

feldy
02 February 2010, 06:17 PM
Oh cool. I was doing the same thing at my last studio. I know a few people doing this now. Very good stuff.

Wish I could say more about it but you will be seeing it in a couple weeks! It's by far the most fracturing I have brought into unreal engine.

fireknght2
02 February 2010, 04:16 PM

Without spilling the beans on your project, could you share with us how you bring the rayfire fracturing event into Unreal. I teach at a Tech Center where we use the Unreal Engine and the students create game levels as part of the curriculum. I have a few who love blowing things up as much as I do and I tell them about Rayfire but they don't know how to use it in Unreal, and of course I don't either.
If you could share your workflow to transfer the simulation to Unreal that would be GREAT!
Beautiful work!

feldy
02 February 2010, 04:24 PM
So this is the work flow that I was useing. It applys to both rayfire sims and reactor sims.

For a test
case, the following works.

-Start a clean scene, ActorX is picky when there are other objects in
your scene.
-Create a bunch of Spheres that will be simulated. Assign a material and
make sure a TEXTURE is assigned to the diffuse slot.
-Create a BOX, and name it root. DO NOT give it a material. Leave it as
default.
-Link your Spheres to the BOX.
-In ActorX make sure under Skin Export the following are set to true:
All skin-type
All textured
Only Selected
-give it a path and meshfile name.
-Now select your spheres and box and hit Save mesh/refpose
-Import into Unreal and you'll see that your Spheres will show up as a
mesh with bone names, your Box will show up as a bone.
-See attached image.

I don't remember quite exactly why, but DUMMY OBJECTS don't work
correctly when doing reactor simulations.

Your next steps would be to do your simulation on the sphere objects and
leave the BOX alone.

Hope this helps!

After all this. In unreal its pretty much setup for a skeltal anim that you can play in a anim tree or matinee or whatever.

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/exporttest.jpg/

You can also just bring in the fractured chunks as a skel mesh and then make a physics asset out of it. Then let unreal physics take over. Remember anything over 70 something bones is a 2nd render pass on that object.

fireknght2
02 February 2010, 04:39 PM
So this is the work flow that I was useing. It applys to both rayfire sims and reactor sims.

For a test
case, the following works.

-Start a clean scene, ActorX is picky when there are other objects in
your scene.
-Create a bunch of Spheres that will be simulated. Assign a material and
make sure a TEXTURE is assigned to the diffuse slot.
-Create a BOX, and name it root. DO NOT give it a material. Leave it as
default.
-Link your Spheres to the BOX.
-In ActorX make sure under Skin Export the following are set to true:
All skin-type
All textured
Only Selected
-give it a path and meshfile name.
-Now select your spheres and box and hit Save mesh/refpose
-Import into Unreal and you'll see that your Spheres will show up as a
mesh with bone names, your Box will show up as a bone.
-See attached image.

I don't remember quite exactly why, but DUMMY OBJECTS don't work
correctly when doing reactor simulations.

Your next steps would be to do your simulation on the sphere objects and
leave the BOX alone.

Hope this helps!

After all this. In unreal its pretty much setup for a skeltal anim that you can play in a anim tree or matinee or whatever.

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/exporttest.jpg/

You can also just bring in the fractured chunks as a skel mesh and then make a physics asset out of it. Then let unreal physics take over. Remember anything over 70 something bones is a 2nd render pass on that object.

For some reason I didn't think Actor X Allowed the export of Rayfire and such into Unreal guess I thought wrong, little bit off topic here but you mentioned reactor sims so would this also apply to Fume FX being brought into Unreal as well, or is that to much for Unreal to handle?

Thanks for the quick response a short tutorial might be handy if your up to it use of Rayfire in many platforms increases its usage as well as it's value.
Hats off to you for helping me.

Fire

feldy
02 February 2010, 04:50 PM
No fume sims at all sorry. you can use fume sims to create textures for particles though. You dont export RAYFIRE the plug in. What you would export is the stuff rayfire creates. Rayfire creates the fractured debris and then bakes keyframe anaimtion onto the meshes. Your exporting the simed meshes. I'm not in a unreal studio anymore and the stock unreal 3 is so damn buggy I want to carve my eyes out. Check out the link to the picture I attached and follow the step by step instructions its pretty simple.

fireknght2
02 February 2010, 07:14 PM
No fume sims at all sorry. you can use fume sims to create textures for particles though. You dont export RAYFIRE the plug in. What you would export is the stuff rayfire creates. Rayfire creates the fractured debris and then bakes keyframe anaimtion onto the meshes. Your exporting the simed meshes. I'm not in a unreal studio anymore and the stock unreal 3 is so damn buggy I want to carve my eyes out. Check out the link to the picture I attached and follow the step by step instructions its pretty simple.

Would the UDK be a better process and less buggy?
Oh and what about CryENGINE, they have the export tools from 3dsmax to CryENGINE I'm thinking that should be the same procedure you have outlined and a much better outcome visually. You've added a much bigger adventure for the use of Rayfire for myself and my students.

Fire

feldy
02 February 2010, 07:20 PM
Dont know about udk sorry or cryengine. I have only ever used the full on unreal 3 that you get from epic when you pay for it. I have tried useing the unreal 3 that comes with the pc game but its buggy crashes all the time. Not sure about the pc gears of war editor. I moved to a studio that doesn't use unreal. We also dont use rayfire at all for our stuff here. Just Havok destruction. Best of luck to your trials.

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 08:21 PM
Woooooohooooooo :bounce:
RayFire Tool 1.5 was released. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6337853#post6337853)

em3
02 February 2010, 07:05 AM
Oh man sorry guys, I had no IDEA there were replies. Dude,feldy, my method is 100% different and more complicated. If your's works "just that easy" I will be so happy and peed off all at the same time!! Thanks heaps for posting your tutorial man, I will try it out!!

In the meantime I have just released my new video using LOTS of RF in unreal engine (from ut3)

http://www.treadster.com/fateoftheunion

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4Es0HXgUM

hopefully you guys still talk to me after watching it :P

cheers!

PS awesome MIR!!! Thanks so much man!

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 08:41 AM
Damn, Dave you are brutal. :)

ThallDesign
02 February 2010, 05:11 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO 1.50!!

I've been screwing with 1.49 for a week or so, I can't wait to get home and install.

Is there a workaround for an object's bounding box always being a cube? When I throw a sphere at a wall it pushes chunks out in a sphere shape, however it activates the geometry based on the cube bounding box of the sphere, so while the push out normally, pieces always end up activating and falling from the wall in a square shape.

For now I just take the time and select fragments I don't want to fall and delete their keyframes. Is there a way to make an Impact or Unyielding object respect the actual geometry shape?

ddustin
02 February 2010, 07:54 PM
Like the title says,
Do we need to uninstall the older 32 bit PhysX before installing 64 bit MSI from NVIDIA?

Thanks.
David

JohnnyRandom
02 February 2010, 08:18 PM
For the sake of cleanliness I would uninstall the older version first, the new build will contain everything the previous version did plus any fixes/additions.

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 04:12 AM
Yeah, it is better to uninstall 32 bit version of old plugin in case you want to install 32 bit version of new plugin.

ddustin
02 February 2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah, it is better to uninstall 32 bit version of old plugin in case you want to install 32 bit version of new plugin.

You mean uninstall PhysX, not RayFire right?

Thanks,
David

PexElroy
02 February 2010, 09:09 AM
Where is the 64 bit MSI from NVIDIA ? maybe the dev site.

PsychoSilence
02 February 2010, 09:30 AM
The new PhysX Build is not to be included on behalf of nVidia. You have to download it separate from their developer site:

Note: RayFire Tool 1.5 supports new Nvidia PhysX plugin 2.0 for 3ds Max but doesn't provide it. To use PhysX support via RayFire You need to get it and install manually from Nvidia developers zone since Nvidia doesn't allow any kind of distribution of their plugin.

You can get PhysX plugin 2.0 HERE. (http://developer.nvidia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3990&st=0&start=0) New PhysX plugin supports only Max 2008, Max 2009 and Max 2010.

Older RayFire Tool 1.46 contains all PhysX engine files inside it's installer, but it supports older Nvidia PhysX plugin version which doesn't support 64 bit 3ds Max.

nVidia doesn't want people to just share the PhysX plugin and ship it with installers, you have to sign up for their website to get it individually. We are sorry for any inconvenience! Wasn't our decision.

http://devsupport.nvidia.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=1949

cheers,
Anselm

PexElroy
02 February 2010, 09:39 AM
Thought so, thanks.

ddustin
02 February 2010, 01:39 PM
I could post them if you need them and dont want to sign up with NVIDIA.

Not sure why that might be a problem for you, but we can if you need them.

David

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 03:15 PM
If NV guys will notice that, they definitely will ask you to remove any links.

ddustin
02 February 2010, 04:21 PM
Yes you are right,,,

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 10:48 AM
Hey, check out this interview which I gave for PhysXInfo website
http://physxinfo.com/articles/?page_id=268

ddustin
02 February 2010, 11:41 AM
Very good article!

PsychoSilence
02 February 2010, 03:25 AM
Amazing, ill make sure it's in the news ;-p

JohnnyRandom
02 February 2010, 03:36 AM
Good read, it is hard to believe rayfire has been around for three years now!

Cheers :)

ThallDesign
02 February 2010, 01:34 PM
I am having trouble getting Rayfire to recognize that I set a material ID.

In the Advanced Fragmentation options I set a material ID other than zero, and then create a multi/sub object material and change one of the ID values to the one I told Rayfire to have.

Is this basically what I'm supposed to do? Is there a step I'm missing? The interior of my fragments never change texture despite many attempts. I haven't found anybody with the same problem over at the Rayfire forum.

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 04:01 PM
Which fragmentation type you use?

ThallDesign
02 February 2010, 05:31 PM
This is with Voronoi fragment type.

With the Uniform, or continuous fragment type there is a box under my frag options I can click and drag my material from the editor to, and Rayfire will then act how I'd expect it to. The material I dragged to the box will be on the interior of the object I fragmented.

But with Voronoi fragments I can't drag a material to that box, and other people seem to have worked around this.

PexElroy
02 February 2010, 06:18 PM
check out this interview which I gave for PhysXInfo website

Awesome read, and good news that we will see cloth, fluids and soft bodies in the future - fantastic and inspiring. And have RF 1.5 up and working w/ PhysX in max 2009 x32 + x64 :drool:

floopyb
02 February 2010, 12:38 AM
Finally uploaded a couple of little tests done in in Rayfire for a Pompeii project I worked on a while ago:

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/WkYhYfOc7Dc/default.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkYhYfOc7Dc&feature=channel

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/XMy-3E2Gvsw/default.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMy-3E2Gvsw&feature=channel

you can see some more of the vids here:

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/2msd1zARPQI/default.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msd1zARPQI&feature=channel
http://www.zerooneanimation.com/projects/downloads/01_pompeii_preview_720p.mov

PsychoSilence
02 February 2010, 07:28 AM
I like the roof tiles :D How long did you work on the vulcano plume (sorry for off topic...)?

floopyb
02 February 2010, 10:49 PM
I like the roof tiles :D How long did you work on the vulcano plume (sorry for off topic...)?

The job went for about 4-5 months for 10 min of effects heavy footage between 2 people. I know the plumes would take the longest so i started that first and did other stuff while waiting for sims which went for days and days!

ThallDesign
02 February 2010, 08:23 PM

Hey Anselm, maybe you can help me with my Rayfire problem, I saw in your PFlow DVD that you got around setting material ID with Voronoi fragment types. I tried to recreate what you did but I'm never successful, I can't tell Rayfire to have one material ID as it's 'exterior', and one as it's 'interior' that I can spawn from.

PS: DVD rocks by the way, I love creating an entire brick wall (individual bricks! no faking with textures!) and being able to smash it.

EDIT: We have liftoff:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6073/wehaveliftoff.th.png (http://img294.imageshack.us/i/wehaveliftoff.png/)

Nevermind I've figured it out, I'm such a tool sometimes...

PsychoSilence
02 February 2010, 03:22 AM
Heh, all good then. I was about to point to the advanced fragmentation options :) It is in teh main window now. On the DVD i believe it is still a pop up window so i can see the confusion happening easily :)

Glad you like it. Hope people enjoy it :)

jimmy4d
02 February 2010, 01:01 PM
hip hip .yeeha....got 1.5 64 today.............happy times.....

jimmy4d
02 February 2010, 01:06 AM
Fun stuff....now I guess I can uninstall max32 .........max 200964 rayfire64 rocks.............http://www.3dglove.com/10/web/woodShed1/wood%20shed.html

dakotadk810
02 February 2010, 02:50 AM
Hey all...I'm new to Rayfire completely, and I want to learn using the current version 1.5. However, all of the tutorials I'm finding are on older versions, and unfortunately I can't get anything to work the way the tutorials are showing. I understand adding the geometry into the Rayfire floater and fragmentation, etc, however I can't for the life of me understand how to make my impact objects to wait to destruct with a collision...when I run the sim all my models destroy automatically without any kind of interference. If needed, I can make a quick vid showing my confusion.

Glacierise
02 February 2010, 04:16 PM
Have you tried the activation tutorial on my site?

dakotadk810
02 February 2010, 06:03 PM
I just logged onto your site...thankfully last night I began understanding Rayfire a bit better. My main problem was beginning the simulation at scene 0 instead of the scene after the last animated keyframe...I'll definitely be on your site checking it out!

dakotadk810
02 February 2010, 08:17 AM
How do I set the Time Scale to be animatable? Auto Key, Set Key, the key button? I'm used to Fume's auto-key ability but so far it isn't working with Rayfire for me.

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 09:43 AM
You should really download and watch video tuts from my website.
All you need is covered there.
http://mirvadim.com/videos/tut/RayFire141_PhysX_Animated_TimeScale.wmv

dakotadk810
02 February 2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks much...I've been following all of your tutorials on Youtube, and must have overlooked this specific one...so far most of my questions with Rayfire are solved after hopping on Youtube or your site, but that eluded me for some reason. Tomorrow my main scene should be rendered and uploaded; I'll send it to you to show what two days of your tutorials have taught!

PsychoSilence
02 February 2010, 12:55 AM
Brandon Riza updated his VFX Breakdown website with work from Dante's Inferno and Mass Effect2:

http://brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffects/HTML/3DVisualEffects.htm

Definitely worth checking out, quite some RayFire used there :)
Maybe some one can post this on our RayFire Facebook group!

cheers,
Anselm

JonathanFreisler
02 February 2010, 01:19 AM
God I love that man...

PsychoSilence
02 February 2010, 01:46 AM
He is God...

JonathanFreisler
02 February 2010, 02:51 AM
I find the make out shots in Dantes Inferno slightly disturbing ha ha.

I love the exploding giant worm though. Freaking cool.

dakotadk810
02 February 2010, 06:29 AM
Those demo shots were insane! I'm in the process of getting my Bachelor's Degree in Digital Design in the next two weeks, and found Rayfire just as I began compositing my reel...I'm trying to add as much destruction as possible, and that portfolio was a big help! Many thanks!

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 01:43 PM
Try not to overload your reel with destructions.
Everything should be in right proportions.

dakotadk810
02 February 2010, 11:44 PM
i definitely agree with you...the shots that I used before have clunky geometry destruction, vs the new silky Rayfire ones. Mainly just re-doing old work and trying to introduce it into new ones.

PexElroy
02 February 2010, 09:39 AM
These mass effects 2 shots Brandon did with RayFire are great - anyone have any ideas how he did these with noise on the fragements, so they do not look so smooth?

Glacierise
02 February 2010, 09:57 AM
Or even more simply, apply the noise after the sim :)

PexElroy
02 February 2010, 09:59 AM
very cool if all rayfire ;)

mir-vadim
02 February 2010, 10:25 AM
Everything is RF.
I guess he just used noisy fragments, in any case they should blow away after collision, so not a big deal if they will blow because they intersect with each other.

JonathanFreisler
03 March 2010, 01:42 PM
Also, anytime I clear objects from a RF list:

In my head I hear (or say out loud on occasions) "CLEAR" like what people yell when there using a defibrillator.

Just thought I would share.