View Full Version : RayFire Tool

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

TwiiK
01 January 2009, 09:55 AM
Here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=715558

Fragmentation by Shapes. Allows You to fragment object using shapes.
Also using new feature You able to create shapes from black and white maps.

Demonstration: http://mirvadim.com/videos/screen/RayFire_143_FragByShapes.mov

spoodge
01 January 2009, 09:57 AM
thx Twik....browsing on my phone, got a massive 5.2 kb to play with so i avoid the search button.....man I can't stop playing with this plugin. :)

how the hell did i miss this function????????

Outstanding!!....man....mir you take max to another level

PsychoSilence
01 January 2009, 05:08 PM
a little writeup on rayfire (and our project)...
Here (http://www.cgw.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=A4E61D85E90D4A04BDD2B0F29CC72A6D)

More to come.

very nice! Mir will have that on the RF site for sure if u allow :)

Xestion
01 January 2009, 09:40 AM
Were everywhere! Its being aired on TV at least 50times a day on different channels here in the UK. We have been up on pretty much every site and I guess its time for you guys to see the final ones, plus a breakdown we stressed together.

http://www.mainframe.co.uk/virgin/virgin_rehab_cassie.mp4
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/virgin/virgin_rehab_alicia.mp4
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/virgin/virgin_rehab_les.mp4
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/virgin/virgin_rehab_rowetta.mp4
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/virgin/virgin_rehab_breakdown.mp4

Hope you like it!

JonathanFreisler
01 January 2009, 10:22 AM
wow thats very very cool man! grats!

very nicely done.

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Jimmy and Arvid, great job.
I will post these vids with breakdown on Video page today.
Thanks again. :)

PsychoSilence
01 January 2009, 05:02 PM
Great job u guys!

Love the breakdown! When u dropped in a collision test into teh massive position object flow i was like *f$%k* this will calculate for ever but then u switched it off :D

plejboy
01 January 2009, 05:50 PM
Great job u guys!

Love the breakdown! When u dropped in a collision test into teh massive position object flow i was like *f$%k* this will calculate for ever but then u switched it off :D

Haha!
Jimmy is such a rookie!

Xestion
01 January 2009, 06:05 PM
Great job u guys!

we never used collisions on that one but had it on others, wasnt that bad, calculated quite quick, not quick enough thogh :)

thanks for the positive feedback guys, just wish we had more time on it so we could add fume fx and all that sexy stuff. three weeks for 25 shots is not enough :cry:

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 06:26 PM
Hey, here is a little improvement I added today.
For now it is implemented pretty roughly and needs a lot of time for fixing, debugging and testing, but already can create pretty impressive effect. :)

Download Mysterious Screengrab. (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/screen/RayFire_1_44_Joints.avi)

Steve Green
01 January 2009, 06:38 PM
That's cool Mir.

I've got a question about the old 64-bit PhysX question...

As I understand it, it's down to nVidia to create a 64-bit version of PhysX that Max 64bit can use, correct?

Is it worth pestering Autodesk to try to hurry this along?

In the meantime - what do people prefer when using Rayfire with FumeFX?

Fume is happier in 64 bit, but then you lose the ability to use PhysX and are stuck with Reactor - is the least worst option to just stick with 32bit Max on a 64 bit OS?

Thanks,

Steve

JohnnyRandom
01 January 2009, 07:41 PM
Hey, here is a little improvement I added today.
For now it is implemented pretty roughly and needs a lot of time for fixing, debugging and testing, but already can create pretty impressive effect. :)

Download Mysterious Screengrab. (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/screen/RayFire_1_44_Joints.avi)

Nice one:thumbsup:, can that work with parenting fracture objects to the ground too?

depleteD
02 February 2009, 01:53 AM
At blur, we have to sim out physx in 32.
We can set up fume grids and send to the farm and sim out on 64 bit.

For the last year I have been straight 64 bit. Im going back to 32 for physx. Its tottaly worth it.

Mir that joint thing u got going is absolutey freaking crazy....so awesome

-Andrew

Glacierise
02 February 2009, 04:14 AM
Mir, that's brilliant! I imagine how wonderful possibilities will open up when that's implemented in a powerful way! Once again, you have me thrilled!

schyzomaniac
02 February 2009, 08:30 AM
This looks indeed very cool!
I have one question concerning rayfire. Is it possible to plot my simulation on one workstation and then render the "rayfire -scene" on a renderfarm?

cheers,
Daniel

depleteD
02 February 2009, 09:22 AM
Thats a reaqlly good question, the tools that i'm setting up are kinda centered around rayfire. And I want to do batching, like paul neals batch it script. So I would select 10 max files and max would run through them and rayfire sim them all.

Does rayfire have maxscript access?

-Andrew

Steve Green
02 February 2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info Andrew.

Cheers,

Steve

mir-vadim
02 February 2009, 12:38 PM
This looks indeed very cool!
I have one question concerning rayfire. Is it possible to plot my simulation on one workstation and then render the "rayfire -scene" on a renderfarm?
Daniel

Simulation bakes all objects animation in keys, like reactor.
So, no problem to render scene on a render farm.
But if Your scenes contains RF_PhysX or RF_Bomd helpers and RayFire is not installed on renderfarm, You will get "missed object class" warning. But You can fix it installing RayFire on renderfarm 3ds max, even Demo version will be enough.

Does rayfire have maxscript access?
Sure it has, but not all features possible to use via max script.

schyzomaniac
02 February 2009, 02:15 PM
Simulation bakes all objects animation in keys, like reactor.
So, no problem to render scene on a render farm.
But if Your scenes contains RF_PhysX or RF_Bomd helpers and RayFire is not installed on renderfarm, You will get "missed object class" warning. But You can fix it installing RayFire on renderfarm 3ds max, even Demo version will be enough.

Thanks for the reply. That left me with three more questions though. :)

- Do I need a physiX compatible card to use physX in rayfire, or can it be handled by the cpu somehow?

- If I need a physiX card to do the simulation, does this also mean I need a physiX card in each of my renderfarm computers to be able to render a scene with physiX simulations in it?

- Does physiX give me faster simulations than reactor, or are the result completly different? Say more acurate or "better quality"?

cheers and congratulations to this awesome release. I'm saving my money already for this. :)

Daniel

mir-vadim
02 February 2009, 04:42 PM
Physx engine which RayFire uses is totally software, it use CPU for calculation.
It will work a little bit faster if You have latest Nvidia GPU though.

No, as I said, all simulation is baked, You don't even have RayFire installed to render it.
All animation in simple position and rotation keys.

PhysX simulation is much faster and accurate then reactor, no doubt.
But it has few disadvantages for now, it doesn't support 64 bit 3ds Max and it can't simulate concave dynamic objects. All concave dynamic objects it treats as convex. You can simulate concave geometry only as Unyielding object.

PexElroy
02 February 2009, 12:39 AM
Mir the joints is amazing and a great addition, which may down the road open up rope, string and cloth.

amckay
02 February 2009, 06:40 PM
yeah physx has a few limitations, definitely a lot more solid than reactor. I remember a mate of mine at Frantic built a scene (this was for reactor 2) to show discreet (at the time) why they need to work more on improving max dynamics.. it was a 6 face cube inverted normals rotating and inside was a sphere, such a simple test but you would get the sphere bounce like twice inside the object and then fall right through. But hell it beats the original max dynamics from max <5

great work Mir, you've really done some amazing stuff with Rayfire, you and Ansi rock!

JohnnyRandom
02 February 2009, 07:33 PM
Mir, maybe I'm doing something wrong maybe not. When i have a object similar to a tube, I set fracture using voroni, the fractures are nice with the exception that inside the tube object there are now pieces of fragments, some going to the opposite side. When using uniform fracture algorithm this doesn't occur. Any ideas?

PexElroy
02 February 2009, 07:55 PM
Not sure what your model looks like, but PhysX still has trouble with concave objects, maybe try to break it up first for convex, then fragment the parts if possible, then try sims as is or as a Group.

JohnnyRandom
02 February 2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks Rob, splitting it in half solved the issue :)

Although it was a RayExplosion fracturing issue and not PhysX. I should have made myself a little clearer... mind is in a bit of a blur state right now...

DrVrtigo
02 February 2009, 05:03 AM
Would someone be kind enough to help me understand exactly how to implement particle debris / particle spawn?
I'd like to spawn particles from a crumbling wall, similar to this (http://4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/b2b/PhysXGlue/SmokeStack/pf_b2_stack_wp.mov) (beautiful work, JohnnyRandom), but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around a solution.
Is this possible using a PhysX simulation?
Any help with this is appreciated!

Glacierise
02 February 2009, 09:40 AM
That's easy - in PFlow, you just place particles on the fragments with the position object op. Use the material ID option to place them only on the fractured polys, and make them 'follow emitter'. Then do a speed test, and in the new event do a spawn, so the particles can create debris whenever they move, which is the idea. You might kill them off a few frames later.

DrVrtigo
02 February 2009, 04:02 PM
Brilliant!
For some reason I was thinking that this type of particle spawn was integrated into Rayfire outright (beyond the impact system).
I'll play with it.
Thanks!

PexElroy
02 February 2009, 08:23 AM
@ DrVrtigo - those are particle bricks, from PFlow Box #2 that Johnny used, for the brick dynamics. The particle Ticks that follow the bricks can be particles from either PFlow or TP3. Most are waiting for Box #2 for more particle dynamic control (that TP3 has).

DrVrtigo
02 February 2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for clarifying, PexElroy.
I guess I'll just have to fake it for now (or buy TP).

videofxuniverse
02 February 2009, 05:40 PM
I have a big problem with some files. I have converted some obj files to max and when i apply the bomb to one of these objects and click on fragment the object completely crumples up like tinfoil and remains that way before and after the bomb frame initiates. I imagine its an issue with polygons and the obj file seems to be very hollow but how do i fix it?

Steve Green
02 February 2009, 05:51 PM
I'd check whether the models transformations have gone a bit screwy.

Try doing a Reset XForm from the utilities tab and see if the normals get flipped, if they do, apply a normals modifier and flip them back again.

Or create a new object, collapse it and attach the imported obj to it, then delete the element containing the object you created - I've found this to be a fairly good way of cleaning any nasties from files that misbehave.

Cheers

Steve

cetrian
02 February 2009, 06:36 AM
i can see this is a huge thread and to be honest i think is faster to ask this before read all the pages, i just wonder if any of you has a problem with rayfire 1.43, i mean i just donwloaded the demo version for Max 2008 and 2009 from www.mirvadim.com (http://www.mirvadim.com), both 32 and 64 bits, i'm specially interested in 32 bits with physics support, i installed the demo without any problem but when i go to the rayfire tool and try to open the floater tool nothing happens, it just doesn't works and i've been looking for in the web about this and several ppl has the same problem, so if any of you has any solution to this inconvinient, please let us know. Thanks in advance ;)

ddustin
03 March 2009, 02:18 PM
I was testing the PhysX 32 bit version of rayfire today and followed the first Rayfire Overview.

When we hit the play/simulate button, the time slider bar just loops and nothing happens.
It just keeps looping.

Is there something really basic I am missing? I followed the example steps through 4 times and the result is the same each time.

Thanks,
David

Wicked
03 March 2009, 03:39 PM
Try the button next to it: "Bake Animation"

Don't know why, but it was demonstrated in a clip.. Can't remember which video, but if you want I could look it up?

ddustin
03 March 2009, 03:50 PM
I tried that one too, same deal..

If you could look it up I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for your help,
David

Wicked
03 March 2009, 04:08 PM
http://mirvadim.com/videos/tut/RF141_Physx_Dml_2_Glass.mov

Hmm, I see it's not really explained in this clip.. but in the mentioned videoclip I discovered what I was doing wrong.
I was trying to get a similar effect, but was working with Reactor instead of Physx. I don't know what I was doing wrong anymore, but I also couldn't get the "Preview" button to work. Later on (after watching that clip) I discovered what I was doing wrong.

So it's not what you were looking for I guess,.. sorry for any false hope :)

Edit: Now I remember what was going on! I had a simple scene setup, but couldn't preview the demolition. I had to bake it to get the fragments created.
I realised that after watching this tutorial :)

mir-vadim
03 March 2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah, try to use Bake Animation button (Arrow with circle) to start simulation.
Start Preview buttons launches preview and loop it until you will uncheck it.

And yes, demolition works only in bake mode since during simulation it creates new objects.

ddustin
03 March 2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah I did all that.

The result is the same, nothing happens.

Does it matter that I am running it on a XP 64bit system (running max 2009 32 bit though)?
Thanks,
David

My file is here:
http://www.dustinproductions.com/wip/Rayfire/smash-teapot01.zip

EDIT: I made a new project with boxes and it seems to work just fine..... not sure what is going on with the other file....

cgbeige
03 March 2009, 04:01 PM
Any chance that you're bringing this to Maya? I think for Rayfire's price, most Blast Code users would make the jump since this is clearly better. Plus you'd be the best option on Mac/Linux/Windows all around.

mmoses00
03 March 2009, 04:43 PM
Any chance that you're bringing this to Maya? I think for Rayfire's price, most Blast Code users would make the jump since this is clearly better. Plus you'd be the best option on Mac/Linux/Windows all around.

I never thought I would hear that. :)

I thought Maya was so powerful and flexible and well supported, you could do anything in Maya?

cgbeige
03 March 2009, 04:48 PM
well there are voronoi shatter scripts and I suppose that you could do the movement of those meshes parented to particles but there is no good all-in-one explosion solution like this (I can't script for shit - I'm a print 3D guy so getting explosions means I need a turn-key solution like this). Blast Code is great for doing stuff like ground cracking and glass shattering but it's unable to work with existing polygon meshes so it's useless for the type of effects that Rayfire gets.

The only really great thing about Blast Code is its debris generation, which looks great. Does Rayfire do secondary debris? by that I mean breaking up the shatters into glass shards or wood splinters along the edges.

MartinRomero
03 March 2009, 04:52 PM
I thought Maya was so powerful and flexible and well supported, you could do anything in Maya?

It is powerful and flexible, you just need to know how go about it. Yes, you can do pretty much anything in Maya, get some pretty good tools going and your are set

Cheers

I'll have my new demo up soon...

JohnnyRandom
03 March 2009, 04:55 PM

I thinks that's quite a compliment, I have been wondering if blastcode would have ever come out for max for years :) I have always been impressed with the things I've seen done with it.

cgbeige
03 March 2009, 06:00 PM
well like I said, it does great things with slabs but it's unable to break meshes.

mir-vadim
03 March 2009, 09:55 PM
Sorry, for now I completely have not free time,
so dont think that there will be Maya version in near future.

By the way, few days ago I uploaded new build with few fixes, it is available via update system.

JohnnyRandom
03 March 2009, 10:08 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up :)

ACiD80
03 March 2009, 08:46 AM
well like I said, it does great things with slabs but it's unable to break meshes.

huh? thats weird, im sure im probablyunderstanding u wrong, but their site is full of movies where meshes getblown appart in a more correct way.

jimmy4d
03 March 2009, 12:15 PM
Warning newbie ahead......:wavey: Hey if I have max 2009 64 and want to usr RF phyics, should I load max 32 bake my animation then reopen in max64 to finish my work. would this be the way to go or not. Right now I'm just working my tail off in RF for max2009 64 trying to learn all I can using reactor......and loving this shit.

thomaskc
03 March 2009, 12:36 PM
If its the physX solver you want to use, then yes.. that would be the way around it so far.

jimmy4d
03 March 2009, 07:28 PM
If its the physX solver you want to use, then yes.. that would be the way around it so far.

sweet,thanks mate.

PexElroy
03 March 2009, 12:36 AM
@ CHRiTTeR - the Blast Code web site does show some (cool) meshes exploding, but those meshes were re-modeled special to work with the Blast Code object types it supports. But Glue objects in BC can be used to break a pre-fractured mesh.

Skylab82
03 March 2009, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone,
how can recreate this setup http://www.yeatvfx.com/works/surface--collapse--system.html

jimmy4d
03 March 2009, 02:58 PM
I know wreath is insane.........well your going to have to talk to him on this one I think. do you use TP?

Skylab82
03 March 2009, 04:07 PM
No I don't know TP.... just only particleFlow :rolleyes:

dannho
03 March 2009, 06:39 PM
Hi,

Congrats!! Its wonderful plug in!!!

Ok, i have a simple question...how Can knock down a building with walls, column, glass, etc?
her a screen!
thanks if anyone can help me!

amckay
03 March 2009, 06:48 PM
sure, just model it all and fracture it all, set it up as a dynamic sim in reactor
that is the most simplest explanation

just prefracture it all
you can get a lot more complicated but honestly telling to be dynamic when you wnat it to and let it fall apart is pretty straight forward

dannho
03 March 2009, 08:03 PM
Hey!
thank you very much!
I will try as you told me and then post something.

mir-vadim
03 March 2009, 09:18 PM
Combination of deactivated/activated object can help you a lot in such case.
First you have to Deactivate static Impact objects.
The you can use any animated geometry to activate it, so until it is deactivated it will behave like unyielding, when it will be activated it start fall down.

dannho
04 April 2009, 10:53 PM
Good afternoon!

Well .... here I went back a proof of what I've been doing and the truth I can not as it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadm9-Os6Sw

I do not know if I have anything wrong, but I have all the fragments in IMPACT OBJECTS active object and I got in the collision with the box PHYSICS INFLUENCE activated Deactivate and ACTIVATE BY STATIC OBJECTS GEOMETRY. In the section INACTIVE OBJECTS have nothing.

Any suggestions!

Sorry for my bad English!
thanks for the help they gave me!
Greetings!

alteroskar
04 April 2009, 11:15 PM
good Job Danno, I want to see it when you intregrate it with after burn.

DDuce
04 April 2009, 11:38 AM
Has anyone tried RayFire with max2010, to check if that custom material option is still bugged/not working?

mir-vadim
04 April 2009, 09:27 AM
Hello DDuce.
RayFire with PhysX support for max 2010 will be released in a week.
Also want to mention that I totally changed custom properties assigning process.
Now You can simulataneously assign different properties for multiple objects, simulatanneously change them and interactively change some of them whil simulation is on.
In other hand I removed old custom attributes system because it was not easy to use and t was bugged in Max 2009. So RayFire Tool 1.44 will not support old custom properties.

Glacierise
04 April 2009, 03:01 PM
Great to hear that Mir, looking forward!

JohnnyRandom
04 April 2009, 10:32 PM
I'll second that :)

fireknght2
04 April 2009, 10:58 PM
This tool is exceeding all expectations every day. Mir your machine when it comes to keeping up with all the changes, thank you for sharing such a valuable tool with us.

Fire

jimmy4d
04 April 2009, 11:54 AM
Third it......:D

mir-vadim
04 April 2009, 06:31 PM
Just released version 1.44 :)
http://forums.cgsociety.org (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5833973#post5833973)
Just want to say that this is more technical release.
In this new release I mostly fixed bugs, added support for Max 2010 and added new Custom properties rollout for advanced simulation set up instead of old one.
I have another few cool features in progress right now, soon I will try to finishe them and release.

Steve Green
04 April 2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Mir,

in my customer account only v1.41 to 1.43 are showing, no mention of 1.44

Cheers

Steve

mir-vadim
04 April 2009, 10:11 PM
Try again please.

Steve Green
04 April 2009, 10:14 PM
Cool, thanks - downloading it now.

Cheers

Steve

PexElroy
05 May 2009, 07:06 AM
Great additions Mir - :cool:

PexElroy
05 May 2009, 11:55 PM
Messing around. Took about 3 hours of work to flush this out. To reduce render time I had the dust dissipate quick (which wouldn't really happen). :)

RayFire, FumeFX, PFlow:
http://www.areagrey.com/other/ast_final.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/ast_final.mov)

tool2heal
06 June 2009, 10:26 PM
I watched the new "star wars R&D" from brandon riza earlier.

Which you can see here
http://www.brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffects/HTML/StarWarsTheOldRepublic--RandD.htm

near the end he's using what seems to be an animated unyeilding object to destroy ground and some pillars.

Now if im not mistaken in order to get all of the pieces of the pillar to start falling on contact and not just the ones that come in contact with the "wing" the coloumn needs to be fragmented and then those pieces need to be moved into the inactive objects list, and then the wing needs to be put into the impact objects list.

Now i have tried this same scenerio hundreds of times with different scenes and i cant seem to get it to work the way he does.
But basically when the animation starts its going to cancel out my keys for my "wing" and start using physx on it as soon as it kicks in.

so my question is how do you go about using an animated unyeilding object in order to demolish stuff correctly?
if i use the wing as unyeilding and the column as impact then it basically just cuts it in half and i have a floating top piece?
the only way to deactivate all pieces is to have them be inactive and then activated on impact by an impact object am i correct?

please help. I really am boggled.

JonathanFreisler
06 June 2009, 01:27 AM
Yeah, enable 'deactivate static impact objects' and 'activate by impact object' add the wing to the activation list.

PexElroy
06 June 2009, 02:51 PM
Brandon's Star Wars shots are great. Brandon may have used this method or another.

This max 2008 file (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_144_col07.zip) for RF v1.44 should help with a starting point. Tweaking time is up to you, with how you want it pre-fractured and the speed / scale of the sim.

There are a few ways to tackle this cool effect. So pre-fracture the column, and copied/rotated it 3 times (for speed). Included all column pre-fragments as Impact Objects. With demolish geo ON, Deactive static impact objs ON, Activated by geo and force both ON.

Review max file for more details.

First pass here (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_col01h.mov), third pass below, with more tweaking on same method.

http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_col01.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_col04h.mov)

sachinjoshi
06 June 2009, 03:04 PM
Hi,

I tried to do the ground cracking effect like Sir Brandon did in startrek. Mine penetrates and also the mesh explodes first and drops down,
What am I doing wrong here.?

Stefan-Morrell
06 June 2009, 06:05 AM
With demolish geo ON,

i'm doing something similar but 'demolish geom' always unchecks itself before running the sim..how do you get secondary impacts working with it?
I noticed your scene does the same thing,demolish geo unchecks itself when creating animation

edit..sorry,forgot that only works when recording the animation,all good

PsychoSilence
06 June 2009, 06:03 PM
yeah, i wasnt able to reproduce the detailed ground cracks from the RnD video Brandon posted on his website. maybe Mir himself can reveal some insight here?

dementol
06 June 2009, 01:22 AM
hello, im trying to recreate kinda effect from Brandon Riza, the columns, i have done something, im quite happy with the result, but i think it's too fast.

It's simulated with 0.5 Time Scale. 30 FPS. Heres the movie

http://www.juanmisola.com/video/rf3.mov

How can i slow down the sim so looks like Brandon Riza speed??

thanks in advance!

thomaskc
06 June 2009, 08:35 AM
@dementol

Hey looks cool, and about timescale i think lowering it even more might be what you want.
However, there is a few things id change in your animation.

1. It looks like the pillars are very porous, like they instantly turn to fine dust which I doubt they will :) Instead try keeping somewhat bigger chunks and then add particles for the small dust like dropoff effect.

2. I think normally those would be pretty well attached to the roof as well, which means very very top base would probably stay with a bit of pillar left? You could do this just by making the pillar inactive instead and then make the machine (can't remember what such is called in english :) ) an influence object.

Just ideas :)

And on top of that I thought id share a couple of new small tests.

Whats special about them is that Ive used pre-baked/cached animation from systems outside rayfire, for collision inside rayfire.

hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3AnI5ljVKg

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiDKTA0eF2o&feature=channel

- ThomasKC

Glacierise
06 June 2009, 12:10 PM
Dude the wrecking ball was fun heh

dementol
06 June 2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks thomaskc for the reply. Yes, there's too many small pieces i gonna frag again. About the top i think leave one attached tod the top but really don't like, so i have to try another way.

thanks!

mmoses00
06 June 2009, 02:54 PM
ThomasKC,

Did the cached geo collide? or did you have to attach simple colliders to them?
I was not aware that point cached geo could collide?

That is very cool if that is the case.

THX

PexElroy
06 June 2009, 09:40 PM
@dementol - could not download your movie to watch it.

@thomaskc - very cool; what steps did you use to cache the Reactor rope/Spider for RF?

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 09:49 PM
Thomas used 1.45 beta build, in this build I added support for pointcached objects.
So you can pointcache any geometry animation, character animation, scaling, etc, and then use this object as Unyielding deformable object. Deformable objects can be concave.

thomaskc
06 June 2009, 10:01 PM
Im sorry I couldnt tell you guys, I probably shouldnt have posted it in the first place. But yes, I used a beta build, and I hope that this feature some day will be final because its quite cool :)

fireknght2
06 June 2009, 11:48 PM
Mir, Awesome new feature!
Thanks for premiering the feature Thomas it's going to make for an awesome tool to use.

Fire

mmoses00
06 June 2009, 02:25 AM
rock on Mir! All I ever deal with is pointcached anim... so this is really really useful...

wreath
06 June 2009, 12:27 PM
Great news Mir! :beer:
a little r&d shot with RayFire (http://yeatvfx.com/works/tower--breach.html) :arteest:

cheers guys!

thomaskc
06 June 2009, 12:53 PM
@wreath

I gotta say, I laughed my ass off when i saw your video.... my response was somewhat like this:

"That gotta be the slowest and most sleepy meteor EVER! but damn its looks cool"

I think it says it more or less :P the animation itself is not what I would accociate with a huge burning stone, the fire effect, the smoke and the break is very nice though.

the fire is that particles or aftereffects maybe?

wreath
06 June 2009, 01:05 PM
This is not a meteor :) and not burning at all, just something like a big stone with a hot core(embers).a little fantasy thing that the client asked for, fire simulation would be easier i hate texture stuff :)

dementol
06 June 2009, 01:10 PM
@PexElroy here u can watch it and download it

http://www.vimeo.com/5071306

thomaskc
06 June 2009, 01:28 PM
@wreath

Hehe fair enough.. just looks a bit odd if you ask me. But if the client is happy job done ! :D

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 03:44 PM
@wreath
Looking nice. :) Can I ask for which project you did this?

wreath
06 June 2009, 12:39 AM
Sent a p.m. Mir :)

dementol
06 June 2009, 02:28 PM
Hello, im getting a problem fracturing a bottle with rayfire

heres a pic

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2651/drawing.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/i/drawing.jpg/)

when i fracture it (Voroni Uniform) fills the inside ob the object with polys. How can i do to avoid this? i want only the "glass" fractured..

i've tried diferents fragmentation types but no one do it right.

thanks in advance!

thomaskc
06 June 2009, 02:49 PM
Hey try fracture it with something else, im pretty sure that Voroni can only do Convex models, and not concarv (or is it the other way around hehe) But simply put, things with an empty area "inside" it will **** up.

try the normal uniform, just remember to put "chaos" at = 0 because physX will do wierd things elsewise.

good luck

Glacierise
06 June 2009, 02:50 PM
From Mir's site - http://mirvadim.com/videos/tut/RayFire_Hollow_geometry.avi

dementol
06 June 2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Glacierise and thomaskc i will give it a Look!!!

dementol
06 June 2009, 03:14 PM
Glacierise, that's worked fine! thanks u so much!

PexElroy
06 June 2009, 05:05 PM
@demetol
Cool shots. Could also animate the crane, as it hits each , and it would meet some resistance and shake or even rattle. and can lower Time Scale and bring up gravity a tad.

@wreath
awesome work man. you could add in a slight camera shake on impact, and some sub-cracking around wall. or animate the gravity on the stone after smash to make it feel heavy.

dementol
06 June 2009, 08:17 PM
yeah, the crane it's gonna be animated, for now is a previz animation only, im gonna add some shake to the crane and the camera. I'm gonna try reduce Time scale and gravity.

Thanks for the feedback!

Glacierise
06 June 2009, 11:11 PM
Hey dudes, a new tut by me - creeping cracks with Rayfire, TP and FumeFX: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=774024

@Wreath - nice stuff dude, some more destruction would be nice too heheh :D

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 01:23 PM
Hey :)

I am planning to release 1.45 on next week and here is demonstration video of new feature.
In 1.45 I added support for deformable\pointcached objects.
So now you can use deformable (skinned, pointcached or deformed in any other ways) geomtry to smash and demolish objects.
Here is video.
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF145_mariner_run.mov

Stay tuned because the most cooolest new feature will be demonstarted in monday. :drool: :)
By the way, any ideas what that can be? :)

Steve Green
06 June 2009, 01:30 PM
64-bit PhysX?

*crosses fingers*

JonathanFreisler
06 June 2009, 01:33 PM
Oh mir, you sure do brighten up my day!

Looking forward too it :D

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 01:34 PM
haha, no, too good to be true :D

jpstrong
06 June 2009, 01:40 PM
Awesome!!! well done Mir, cant wait for your surprise.

spurcell
06 June 2009, 02:02 PM
Hey :)

I am planning to release 1.45 on next week and here is demonstration video of new feature.
In 1.45 I added support for deformable\pointcached objects.
So now you can use deformable (skinned, pointcached or deformed in any other ways) geomtry to smash and demolish objects.
Here is video.
http://www.mirvadim.com\videos\rend\RF145_mariner_run.mov (http://www.mirvadim.com%5Cvideos%5Crend%5CRF145_mariner_run.mov)

Stay tuned because the most cooolest new feature will be demonstarted in monday. :drool: :)
By the way, any ideas what that can be? :)

link is dead....

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 02:04 PM
Sorry, link is fixed now.

mmoses00
06 June 2009, 04:57 PM
This is very nice. I remember the first day Mir came out of nowhere with his "weekend" maxscript to break things in Max..... wow... since then... we have this- Amazing progression of awesomeness.

THX!

JohnnyRandom
06 June 2009, 05:07 PM
Thats badass, nice work! Can't imagine what else you have up your sleeve:)

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 06:44 PM
Here is another demo of support for deformable objects.

http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF145_mariner_hit.mov

And here is the first one.
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF145_mariner_run.mov

PsychoSilence
06 June 2009, 07:29 PM
the new RF Glue will be so badass!

@ John: PFlows PhysX_Glue and RF_Glue glued together in one pipeline...bad ass times ahead.

fireknght2
06 June 2009, 08:17 PM
Mir,
OMG man this is one awesome addition. Your killing me with all these upgrades I can't keep up. What a way to die....LOL
Loved the preview videos and can't wait to play with these new features included the surprise feature...hopefully that involves FIRE.
Hard to believe that just a short time ago this was a simple script to use with max and has now become not just a script but one of the greatest SFX plugins to use with 3ds Max.
Thank You 1000x

To everyone else here that have been sharing knowledge with tutorials and that is a long list hard to name you all...Many Thanks, without your help I wouldn't be able to keep up with Mir.

Keep up the good work everyone and thank you again Mir for making 3D SFX fun.

Fire

slime
06 June 2009, 03:01 AM
RayFire is indeed one of the most impressive plugins for MAX, and I'm sure we'll see it more and more often in production from now on. RayFire is one of the reasons we are integrating MAX into our pipeline.

Keep the amazing work, Mir!

Glacierise
06 June 2009, 04:20 PM
That was definitely necessary for dealing with characters, great job Mir!

@Daniel Ferreira: Dude you in Japan now?! Far out!!

JohnnyRandom
06 June 2009, 07:00 PM
the new RF Glue will be so badass!

@ John: PFlows PhysX_Glue and RF_Glue glued together in one pipeline...bad ass times ahead.

I have been thinking about how to effectively use the two together for a while now (other than fragmentation of course, this is by far the best way to fragment anything), still letting the ideas bake.

I am wondering if RF can utilize the Box#2 World Driver? Since really this is why Oleg did that huge overhaul (pre-beta 0.60) to the PhysX World System, so that there could be a unified PhysX architecture within Max.

PexElroy
06 June 2009, 09:30 PM
Mir - this is great. Unreal the power this can allow now. Johnny you have a great idea, perhaps there could be a way to bridge RF and Box #2 somehow, as a RF solver option, maybe with Box #3.

Can't wait to see what's next, metal perhaps or a glue?

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 11:32 PM
So, it is already monday here and here is the demo video of the coolest new feature in 1.45 :)
Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce GLUE in RayFire Tool. :buttrock:

http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF145_glue.mov

In the demo video I exploded brick construction using RF_Bomb and you can see how it explodes with glue off, with glue on and different glue strength, and with glue and Interactive demolition on.

Comments are welcome. :rolleyes:

JonathanFreisler
06 June 2009, 11:37 PM
*pees pants*

Nice mir!Thats freaking cool, just the other day i was talking about how RF doesnt have... well exactly that!

Grats man, looking forward to the release.

PexElroy
06 June 2009, 11:38 PM
:scream: Awesome new feature Mir! This will add in a lot more realism to a blast and its material.

slime
06 June 2009, 04:32 AM
Looking great, Mir. Looking forward to the new build release!
@Daniel Ferreira: Dude you in Japan now?! Far out!!
I like it here, it's a nice change. Let me know if you come to visit! :)

fireknght2
06 June 2009, 04:48 AM
So, it is already monday here and here is the demo video of the coolest new feature in 1.45 :)
Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce GLUE in RayFire Tool. :buttrock:

http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF145_glue.mov

In the demo video I exploded brick construction using RF_Bomb and you can see how it explodes with glue off, with glue on and different glue strength, and with glue and Interactive demolition on.

Comments are welcome. :rolleyes:

Still in Shock so all I can say...WOW!
Great new feature setting the bar high as usual...WOW

Fire

ChrisBore
06 June 2009, 05:48 AM
Mir that is one of the most awesome things I have seen all year!! :buttrock:

Great work!

Chris

Stefan-Morrell
06 June 2009, 06:09 AM
Glue feature looks cool:thumbsup:

question for rayfire users..whats the best method for dealing with things like steel rebar or planks of wood,elements that need to bend before they break,is there any option in rayfire to deal with this?

ChrisBore
06 June 2009, 06:46 AM
I think Physx has a bendy metal softbody object - haven't tried working with it yet though. It'd be interesting to see whether Mir was planning to add this to rayfire.

Chris

amckay
06 June 2009, 11:37 AM
nice one mir! looking good!

mmoses00
06 June 2009, 05:29 PM
Great needed addition of Glue!

Bendy metal, bendable fragments would be the final hurdle.
great stuff.

Matt

JonathanFreisler
06 June 2009, 08:17 AM
Oh Mir, is it possible to see the marine run and punch with glue enabled?

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 09:57 AM
Sure, why not.
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RF145_glue_30000.avi
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RF145_glue_15000.avi

PexElroy
06 June 2009, 08:46 PM
Could watch the 15000 one, but the 30000 avi won't play for me (codec).

Mir - does Glue support keyframed Impact Objects?

Jenga (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rnd_tower03.mov) - a proof of concept

mir-vadim
06 June 2009, 08:54 PM
To glue objects together you have to link them to each other or add in a group. Also it is possible to glue just demolished objects.
So, yes, glue supports animated Impact objects. You can even create group with Impact objects and animated Unyielding objects, so Impact objects will be glued to Unyielding objects.

Weird, I created second one using the same codec, if I remember correctly. :blush:

Here are another bunch of previews with first glue tests if anyone interested.
http://mirvadim.com/previews.rar

PexElroy
06 June 2009, 10:01 PM
Great examples of glue ;) avi had some bug but looks real cool.

fireknght2
07 July 2009, 03:26 AM
Could watch the 15000 one, but the 30000 avi won't play for me (codec).

Mir - does Glue support keyframed Impact Objects?

Jenga (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rnd_tower03.mov) - a proof of concept

I had the same problem acted like it wanted a different codec when I tried the 30000 version. The 15000 version ran beautifully.

Love this new feature it's gonna make alot of things easier to do.

Fire

mir-vadim
07 July 2009, 01:20 PM
Well, check your customer area guys. :)
RayFire Tool 1.45 was just released. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5958810#post5958810)

PexElroy
07 July 2009, 09:22 PM
*smiles* Thanks for the quick release Mir! :twisted:

benmerrick
07 July 2009, 11:03 AM
hey thank you for the tutorials, they were very helpful.

im having one problem though. when using the interactive demolitions on an object, when the object fragments all of the pieces explode apart with far too much power:

http://cheesee.name/rayfire_test1.mov

the object is aluminium, with the ground being concrete. i have tried many set ups, including just a concrete block dropping onto a metal floor from a minimal height, and even then the pieces explode apart with farr too much force.

any ideas what i am doing wrong?

thank you

the settings for all the objects are below: http://www.cheesee.name/rayfire_settings.jpg

mir-vadim
07 July 2009, 11:04 AM
This happens because of one PhysX disadvantage.
It can't simulate concave objects as concave, for each objects PhysX creates simplified convex hull and use it instead of actual geometry.
So if two concave objects are too close to each other, their convex versions will interpenetrate each other and that is why they explode. Solution is to use Voronoi fragmentation types since they create perfect convex fragments or use other frag types but with 0 noise.

benmerrick
07 July 2009, 11:29 AM
thank you for the very quick reply! changed it and seems to work now after my quick test.

im loving this program! shame it doesnt work on 64bit max =(

spider853
07 July 2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you Vadim for this plugin! If there was some settings like Glue for Fragments like in PF Source Box 2 (http://www.orbaz.com/documentation/particleflowtools/box2/reference/13PhysXGlueTest.html at http://www.orbaz.com/products/particleflow/box2/ ) it will be nice!

---EDITED

oops you already added in 1.45 thanks! :beer:

PsychoSilence
07 July 2009, 05:19 AM
just playin´...

http://vimeo.com/5617577
http://vimeo.com/5618815

Wicked
07 July 2009, 10:12 AM
Strong chairs.. :D

fireknght2
07 July 2009, 03:21 PM
Impressive use of Rayfire shows that there is more to the Tool than fragmentation. I still can't get the knack of the muzzleflash but I'm still playing with it.
Awesome video Physco thanks for sharing new ideas.

Fire

jimmy4d
07 July 2009, 03:42 PM
just playin´...

http://vimeo.com/5617577
http://vimeo.com/5618815

yeah.that is sweet mate...love your reel too.......starting using this plug myself.......diggin it.

post soon.

dannho
07 July 2009, 06:47 PM
Hello everybody!

I'm making this cup, but I want to break the glass when touching the surface, but I'm not even clear how to do this. Thanks if anyone can help me!!!

This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-HhtfPGRSA

Glacierise
07 July 2009, 08:59 PM
With such a glassy thing - I'd use demolition ;) There are tuts on Mir's site and mine.

Glacierise
07 July 2009, 04:43 PM
New tut ;)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=784277

jimmy4d
07 July 2009, 11:55 AM
New tut ;)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=784277

:thumbsup:.....your a madman......digit

raytracer2k7
07 July 2009, 02:39 AM
Good day, how do I contact the developer? The email on the site is not working and we need to get in touch regarding purchased rayfire license. Thanks.

JonathanFreisler
07 July 2009, 02:56 AM
Mir lurks on these forums a fair bit. Yiu might be able to PM him or keep tyring his email i guess.

Glacierise
07 July 2009, 07:17 AM
He is now relocating, so he won't be available for something like a week. You'll have to wait. But write him an email, he'll respond as soon as he's back online.

raytracer2k7
07 July 2009, 09:14 AM
What badluck! My teamlead is bugging me to contact him because there's an urgent project we need to finish soon. I pmd him already so I hope I get a reply how to get the license download because there's no instuction after payment.

Glacierise
07 July 2009, 09:32 AM
Contact Anselm v. Seherr-Thoss, he's the producer of Rayfire - either PM him here, he's frequent, or email him at mail@3delicious.de

mir-vadim
07 July 2009, 02:48 PM
Ok, everything is fine. I just sent all info.

raytracer2k7
07 July 2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks again for your quick assistance. I was so in a hurry I download it first and thought file was corrupt and deleted it then the second time I thought why the file is like that so I renamed to zip. :)

vfxbaby
07 July 2009, 08:14 PM
Could someone please explain how one could export say, a wall exploding/breaking to other apps like Modo and lightwave? If yes, I'd like to know the process.

thanks

PsychoSilence
07 July 2009, 08:49 PM
well, if u record the process with the "o-button" (the record icon) RayFire records the geometry with a keyframe per frame. u can export the geometry then via the FBX format. Just play around with serveral animation export settings inside of FBX but sucessfully exported max simupations done in RayFire into Maya. So it IS definitely possible :)

kind regards,
Anselm

vfxbaby
07 July 2009, 09:42 PM
well, if u record the process with the "o-button" (the record icon) RayFire records the geometry with a keyframe per frame. u can export the geometry then via the FBX format. Just play around with serveral animation export settings inside of FBX but sucessfully exported max simupations done in RayFire into Maya. So it IS definitely possible :)

kind regards,
Anselm

Thank you sir!

AlecS
08 August 2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Mir-
I'm using version 1.43. There's an "check for update" pull-down menu, but it says I'm up to date. I know 1.45 is out. How do I update?

Thanks
Alec

mir-vadim
08 August 2009, 07:08 PM
All new main versions are available via customer area.

PsychoSilence
08 August 2009, 06:29 PM
We would like to thank everyone who was interested in RayFire at Siggraph this year!
You rock, you shatter, you blow away!

Talked to nVidia people briefly:
the 64bit physx SDK is on it's way. PhysX64 is out by the end of the year hopefully :)

Kind regards,
Anselm

Glacierise
08 August 2009, 10:36 PM
End of the year, I was hoping for sooner. I hope they cook new features in it though :)

joconnell
08 August 2009, 12:25 AM
Likewise it'd be great to ditch 32 bit max sooner than that.

Just as an aside folks, I've been working with rayfire for a few days now and I'm starting to get decent results - a few dumb questions would be handy for me though.

What are the really obvious things that kill physx / rayfire sims in terms of speed? I'm doing a lot of glass shatter stuff at the minute so as in Hristo's videos I'm breaking with shapes first, then doing a few levels of fragmenting to get detail in the areas that the impact will happen. Is the amount of the objects the largest factor or things like size of pieces? For example I've a few setups with lots of very small bits (might be about 1700 objects making up the pane of glass) and I've fragmented them with voronoi and a rift. Am I best off using something like size threshold in the advanced options to stop my fragments getting too small? Also will things like the collision tolerance in physx make a big difference to speed? From Hristo's video the bigger the value the less accurate the sim is - so if I had objects that were physically smaller than the collision tolerance value is it going to slow things down a lot? For a sim with say 2000 Fragments at what point do you guys start to think that the sim is running too slow and there must be something wrong? Minutes, hours?

Lastly how do you deal with multiple sims? For example I've got three different setups in my scene that are similar - is there a handier way to deal with sims / fragmenting than clearing the lists of objects and loading in the objects for each different setup?

Cheers in advance,

John

cosm0naut
08 August 2009, 11:03 AM
hi,
is there a way to set the amount of force needed for groups to break? a.e: i like the concrete settings with mass by material density. but with these settings the groups won't break. with other settings they do break but their weight doesn't look beliveable anymore...
would be cool to have an extra control value for that.

Glacierise
08 August 2009, 01:14 PM
I think groups have solidity too, that you can use to do that.

cosm0naut
08 August 2009, 01:52 PM
thanks man, thats just what i was looking for! i aready changed that before but it seems i didnt go low enough..

ah and its in the custom properties too. nice!

thomaskc
08 August 2009, 09:57 PM
Hey everyone!

I just thought I would share one of my greatest "rayfire ****ups" so far! haha yeah it sounds pretty bad... and I guess it is.. but the result is so bad, it's awesome!

The deal is, it was a simple test of the glue feature in rayfire 1.45 that turned out different than expected, simply because I cranked the glue strength up waaay too much. So when the objects fragmented and got glued, some of them twisted somehow and rayfire went crazy to fix it!

It might just be me... but I had a good giggle :P

Enjoy!

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/rayfire/snake_box.avi

Glacierise
08 August 2009, 05:50 AM
Hahah, yeah that was fun :D

Mills
08 August 2009, 03:23 PM
Hi
I am having a problem with a simple object while using PhysX.
When i simulate it seem that my object goes back to original object.
I have no idear why this is happeing, any assistance would b appreciated.
Thanks
Eaton

Here's the scene file:

http://www.500mills.com/upload.max

Before simulation:
http://www.500mills.com/rayfire.jpg

After simulation:
http://www.500mills.com/rayfire01.jpg

mir-vadim
08 August 2009, 04:37 PM
Previous versions of PhysX plugin used original, not transformed object's state, current PhysX plugin resets objects transformation applying Xform modifier. it seems that after simulation it deletes this modifier and object get it original state.
Anyway, before simulate scaled objects it is beter to make Reset Xform and then collapse thei modifier stack. Should help.

Mills
08 August 2009, 08:04 PM
Awesome, thank you very much.

PexElroy
08 August 2009, 04:06 PM
Some R&D for a high-speed WWII aerial combat dogfight (using glue).

http://www.areagrey.com/other/fus01.mov
http://www.areagrey.com/other/fus02.mov

JohnnyRandom
08 August 2009, 04:29 PM
Nice :) I dig the collision with the cylinder then the wall ;)

PsychoSilence
08 August 2009, 04:33 PM
those are some amazing results with the glue! especially in the second MOV with more complex shape segments being glued together.

PexElroy
08 August 2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks :) Avoid model interpenetrating faces/vertices and glue works good. The idea is to model both wings of the plane, and then have them hollow. Can then create internal parts like rivets, rods, bolts, cement chunks and circuitry to some degree for more destructive detail.

http://www.areagrey.com/other/fus03.mov

EDIT: Psycho - thanks dude. I usually start a RF sim at frame 10, and animate the impact group to smash into something from 10 to 20 (and put keys at 0 and 20). That way it has a little gravity in its motion.

PsychoSilence
08 August 2009, 08:38 PM
thats gonna look sweeeet!!! i assume u dont let physx kick in until one frame before impact?

ddustin
08 August 2009, 08:47 PM

Using glue how?
is this a new addon to Rayfire?

Sorry to seem stupid, but it looks really cool.

David

EDIT: Never mind i see it is an add on.......

JonathanFreisler
08 August 2009, 11:53 PM
Using glue how?
is this a new addon to Rayfire?

Sorry to seem stupid, but it looks really cool.

David

EDIT: Never mind i see it is an add on.......

not an add on, just a new version.

Very cool PexElroy. I'm doing stuff atm that has HEAPS of interpenetrating faces, i have to go through and ensure something like 200 complexly positioned objects aren't touching >< I might make proxys using the physX tools, and link them all to them or something.

em3
08 August 2009, 03:13 PM
anyone hear from Mir lately? He seems to have vanished.

PsychoSilence
08 August 2009, 04:12 PM
I have not and that is a good thing :) He is on vacation in spain right now taking a well deserved break after the latest release which was a big milestone (glue, breaking, serveral stabilizing fixes and so on and so forth).

kind regards,
Anselm

em3
08 August 2009, 04:18 PM
ah, thanks for the heads up. I bought rayfire via paypal yesterday but have not received any download info - thus my concern. :)

Thanks man.

jimmy4d
08 August 2009, 04:22 PM

Those are nice ............I favorite........mid-air collision, the last one

PsychoSilence
08 August 2009, 04:53 PM
ah, thanks for the heads up. I bought rayfire via paypal yesterday but have not received any download info - thus my concern. :)

Thanks man.

Oh, im sorry to hear that. I will let him know asap when i get a hold on him, usually i jump in on the sales/validation side of things when he out of the office but this time he literally rushed out :D I'm sure the mail got processed and u will get your validation set up. If not shoot me a PM or mail to sales'at'3delicious.de

kind regards,
Anselm

em3
08 August 2009, 04:56 PM
will do, thanks Anselm.

mir-vadim
08 August 2009, 11:31 AM
Hey em3, I just came back and sent all info to you, sorry for such delay.
PexElroy, yourtests looks super cool, good job, can't wait finished results. :)

fireknght2
08 August 2009, 10:10 PM
Welcome home Mir how was Spain?

Rich

mir-vadim
08 August 2009, 06:16 PM
Barcelona was awesome.
Definitely will visit it again later. :)

P.S. I was in Espit Chupitos. :D

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 12:51 PM
Well my first shot at playing with this, I must say I love this stuff. its not much but hey it's a start. I just wanted to start out small to get used to it. I hope you like

http://www.3dglove.com/09/web/test9_09.htm

http://www.3dglove.com/09/web/fallingwall.htm

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 04:09 PM
Cool stuff Jimmy. Both are cool. I hope some day PhysX gets Concave support, so the chucks RF cuts and uses aren't so geometric and smooth looking (more stone-like & rocky).

fireknght2
Well my first shot at playing with this, I must say I love this stuff. its not much but hey it's a start. I just wanted to start out small to get used to it. I hope you like

http://www.3dglove.com/09/web/test9_09.htm

http://www.3dglove.com/09/web/fallingwall.htm

Nice job for your first time out you got it going pretty good.
The best way to do this stuff is play with it and play with it, of course once you get it down...Mir will update it and change it again LOL. It's a beautiful software th ton's of Bells and whistles, keep up the good work.

Rich

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 05:21 PM
Cool stuff Jimmy. Both are cool. I hope some day PhysX gets Concave support, so the chucks RF cuts and uses aren't so geometric and smooth looking (more stone-like & rocky).

Dude you heard of displacement? ;)

em3
09 September 2009, 10:33 PM
Not sure why but RF is taking an obsurd amount of time to do everything from calculate the scene to adding object to their categories. It's driving me nuts!

I don't have this problem on my other computer with the same scene.

Has anyone seen this? If so, what's the solution?

Thanks!

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 11:13 PM
Hm, is it only RF takes a lot of time or other max tools works slowly either?

em3
09 September 2009, 11:16 PM
Just Rayfire sadly. I think its the geometry - I am importing it from another software and its behaving strange. Will let you know. Thanks!

:)

em3
09 September 2009, 11:25 PM
yes, it was the geometry. I had to reimport and reset the xform. It's working great now! Thanks.

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 02:39 AM

Yeah.good point dude........

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 03:47 AM
Dude you heard of displacement? ;)

That helps a little, but not the simulation; for more accuracy, it would be cool to choose if an object or a Group could use a concave hull (with demolition), at the cost of time.

PhysX does not yet support deformed spheres, gear teeth or complex rocky surfaces, mostly overkill in games but useful in cinematics + film. :)

WDom
09 September 2009, 10:14 PM
Online help is partially not available, there are files missing in 3. Fragmentation TAB... :(

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 01:12 AM
Nice job for your first time out you got it going pretty good.
The best way to do this stuff is play with it and play with it, of course once you get it down...Mir will update it and change it again LOL. It's a beautiful software th ton's of Bells and whistles, keep up the good work.

Rich

haha LOL.yeah thats true.............:scream:

PsychoSilence
09 September 2009, 02:08 AM
Churn, baby Churn! :D

we try to add new features AND in addition want to make the GUI the most easy out there but i agree, the interface has seen alot of changes (which mostly came due to new feature additions :) )

kind regards,
Anselm

raytracer2k7
09 September 2009, 06:11 AM
Hello, I have a simple scene. I am learning how to do slow motion effect but unsuccessful. Simulation became choppy after changing fps or rescale time then baking again in physics. Maybe some tips? I attached the file
http://www.mirvadim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=465

Thank you.

raytracer2k7
09 September 2009, 07:54 AM
ok disregard. pressing the play button in rf I thought it would overwrite the sim from before. It just blended the sim from the lower fps. So when I changed the fps for slowmo it kept the old sim. Just had to delete it.

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 08:25 AM
That helps a little, but not the simulation; for more accuracy, it would be cool to choose if an object or a Group could use a concave hull (with demolition), at the cost of time.

PhysX does not yet support deformed spheres, gear teeth or complex rocky surfaces, mostly overkill in games but useful in cinematics + film. :)

Yeah Physx does not directly support it, but Rayfire does - What i usually do if I have any hero concave objects that I really need to collide correctly, is just blocking out a quick proxy for them from several convex primitives. Then you group them up, parent the original object to the group, set Rayfire to 'groups as single objects' and simulate, works great ;)

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 08:46 AM
Online help is partially not available, there are files missing in 3. Fragmentation TAB... :(
hey, I updated online help recently and it seems one page was not updated, sorry, will do that today or tomorow.

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 02:07 PM
Found some strange bug in RF 14500 when using Glue. See max 2008 file. Seems when there are many objects with Glue, RF chokes up, or it maybe something related to Glue.
Simple scene, with a brick wall. Run the sim and you notice how RF freezes up max on the impact time, and the CPU stays at 26% for unknown times, as max is non-responsive on the RF sim. So have to either wait & wait and kill Max, because it just stalls out.

If you turn off Glue it works okay. Something is wrong, this example file shows the lockup and RF stall out. There is no time bar or fill bar to let you know what RF is doing, so I keep having to end the max process and restart it. This also eats up RAM (have 2 GB) when watching the Task Manager as it sims.

http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_145_012_04.zip (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_145_012_04.zip)

@ Glacierise - was going to try that trick; but there are many benefits to concave

JohnnyRandom
09 September 2009, 04:23 PM
@ Glacierise - was going to try that trick; but there are many benefits to concave

Well in essence the object IS concave it is just built up from convex objects and it, for the most part, will behave as concave. Since PhysX doesn't currently handle concave this is the proper technique to fake it.

These are all convex objects glued together to create concaves:

Donuts QT 18mb (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/b2b/PSkinner/Donuts/donuts.mov)

The technique is done with grouping in Rayfire as opposed to glue in box#2, alothough I do suppose you could now glue your convex's in rayfire now to create concaves, I haven't teseted that though...

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 04:28 PM
A group will only make a wanna be-concave hull that will not work properly. we still have the problem of complex surfaces that are curvy.

loran
09 September 2009, 04:34 PM
Hey,
just want to show a script I am workin on, inspirated by Mir works. It s a rayxplosion like...
but very very far from the Rayfire tools power!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3peIta6GpqQ
http://loran-cg.blogspot.com/2009/09/k-b-o-o-m.html

JohnnyRandom
09 September 2009, 04:43 PM
A group will only make a wanna be-concave hull that will not work properly.

Hehe, that sounded funny, "wanna be-concave"

I am a little niave in respect to rayfire in this situation, why won't it work? Are you talking something like broken concrete with large aggregate? (I could see that it would be a bitch to do)

I have built up a ton of concave shapes in box#2 and they act just like I would expect them to, like a concave object, I only relate this to rayfire since they both use PhysX.

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 04:48 PM
hehe - Box #2 is likely making small parts, then grouping those together to try and "mimic" a concave hull. If I could show the Sim Edges in RF, you would see the hull. Concave also lets us place objects inside other objects without complications.

The hull in RF from groups is pretty close, but still does not wrap precisely around the mesh points. We could use concave for hero chunks and bits near camera. Eventually PhysX may get concave support :wise:

@ Johnny - sure, thank you.

@ loran - this rocks dude, you going to release it? plan to integrate it with the reactor Fracture helper? :twisted:

JohnnyRandom
09 September 2009, 04:53 PM
hehe - Box #2 is likely making small parts, then grouping those together to try and "mimic" a concave hull. That is exactly what you are telling box#2 to do.

I think I understand, so it is shorcutting even over the group instead of wrapping nicely?

sounds like a feature request :) "visualize collision shapes", it is a nice box#2 feature for sure in these circumstances.

I can send you a simple box#2 scene to test if you like.

Reminds me I have another one, the spheres contains smaller spheres:

Eggs QT 40mb (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/b2b/PhysXGlue/Eggs/eggs2.mov)

Which pretty much sums up the quote above :)

BTW Loran, looks cool :)

em3
09 September 2009, 04:10 AM
I have a simple scene with a wall and a box that flies through it. I check a check box and the box no longer flies through the wall but bounces off of it. I check the box again and the box won't fly through the wall now, just bounces off of it every time. I am getting some radically different behavior per simulation here presumably on the same setup.

Can someone look at my scene and tell me what I am doing wrong?

http://www.treadster.com/apc_smash_frac.max

Thanks! :)

edit: i uninstalled physX SDK and reinstalled rayfire. Things seem to be running normally now. Would that have affected it?

fireknght2
09 September 2009, 10:51 AM
Churn, baby Churn! :D

we try to add new features AND in addition want to make the GUI the most easy out there but i agree, the interface has seen alot of changes (which mostly came due to new feature additions :) )

kind regards,
Anselm

I Love the updates, probably one of the best kept secret's about Rayfire Tool, is Mir's dedication to keep up with the times and giving us a great tool to use.
Who would have thought Rayfire tool would go from a small script to what it is today. Everyone involved with Rayfire Tool should be commended for their hard work and dedication to the project!

:applause:

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 02:48 PM
Some Glue R&D - a few passes on wood framework destruction :twisted:. Last studies use PFlow for splinters detail (could edit/change splinters a lot more). Demolition Groups on, used the Continuous frag type [may create gaps] and basic textures.

http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw01.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw01.html)

EDIT: Flash video above. Thank you guys! The small splinters are particles, attached to the fragments after RF is done with the demolision sim, I turn PFlow back on and use a group of pre-fractured splinter objects, like 5 in a group for just PFlow, and then lock some particles onto the fragments RF made, then I Spawn a trail, and gave the trailing particles the splinters with motion, gravity and bounce.

Here's a ver 4 max 2008 file (http://www.areagrey.com/other/framework_v04.zip) if you want to look it over :)

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 03:22 PM
I loved the one with the splinters at the end! Glue is so awesome with this wooden demolitions, that's what it does best :)

JohnnyRandom
09 September 2009, 03:29 PM
Hah, way cool :) Agreed the last one is sweet, nice splintering ;)

ThallDesign
09 September 2009, 03:36 PM
That's just awesome. Is that a PFlow instance creating your tiny splinters at the end? Did you just set one of those wall panels or piece of wood frame as an emitter as it falls? Any chance of posting the .max file to stop my machine gun full of questions??

PsychoSilence
09 September 2009, 06:46 PM
that is awesome!!! i was looking in a similar setup for the DVD lately. like a building that gets blown away by a nuke explosion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLhOge2PcU&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyBzXYZPoM&feature=related

Some Glue R&D - a few passes on wood framework destruction :twisted:. Last studies use PFlow for splinters detail (could edit/change splinters a lot more). Demolition Groups on, used the Continuous frag type [may create gaps] and basic textures. QT compressed (so ignore color flicker).

http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw01.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw01.mov)

EDIT: Thanks guys! The splinters are particles, attached to the fragments after RF is done with the demolision sim, I turn PFlow back on and use a group of pre-fractured splinter objects, like 5 in a group for just PFlow, and then lock some particles onto the fragments RF made, then I Spawn a trail, and gave the trailing particles the splinters with motion, gravity and bounce.

Here's a ver 4 max 2008 file (http://www.areagrey.com/other/framework_v04.zip) if you want to look it over :)

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 11:59 AM
Robert........thats sweet mate..really awesome.....and thanks a bunch for posting the max file.....I can't wait to take a look at your setup....well done man.

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 02:45 PM
Nice one Robert. :)
I think you will be especially happy to know that atm I am working on new fragmentation type and guess what kind of fragments it creates?
That is right, Wood Splinter fragmentation type. :)
http://mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RayFire146_605WoodSplinters.avi
Unfortuantelly it creates a lot of concave fragments and animation looks like an explosion, but I think with Box2 and Thinking Particles these fragments will work great. :)
Another few new features in upcoming build is ability to deactivate Animated impact objects, so they will behave like Unyielding until you will activate them.
Demolition by bomb's explosion.
And new Key reduce function which is more then 200 times faster then original max's key reduce function. It removes unuseful keys for 2000 objects with 150 frames animation in 8 seconds, thanks to this scene's size becomes 2 times less.

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks Mir, Psycho & Jimmy -- awesome new features! Can't wait to use these new tools :cool:

Also, not sure if there is a way to time warp PFlow particles, so they match the time warp slow motion of a RF demolition, so they both appear in synch.

PsychoSilence
09 September 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks Mir, Psycho & Jimmy -- awesome new features! Can't wait to use these new tools :cool:

Also, not sure if there is a way to time warp PFlow particles, so they match the time warp slow motion of a RF demolition, so they both appear in synch.

PFlow operators are VERY high on my list btw ;)

JohnnyRandom
09 September 2009, 03:54 PM
I think you will be especially happy to know that atm I am working on new fragmentation type and guess what kind of fragments it creates?
That is right, Wood Splinter fragmentation type. :)
http://mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RayFire146_605WoodSplinters.avi

That is just F-----G Cool!

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 04:37 PM
Extremely cool experiences on the horizon! :) And yeah, how cool it would be to timewarp pflow....

SoLiTuDe
09 September 2009, 04:55 PM
Extremely cool experiences on the horizon! :) And yeah, how cool it would be to timewarp pflow....

Timewarping pflow is easy with krakatoa. :D The prt loader has a playback graph (like pc modifier) -- so you cache our your particles, retime the prt loader -- bring back into pflow and put a shape on them.

em3
09 September 2009, 06:02 PM
hopefully someone can help me out here. I have a building that I am trying to collapse realistically.

http://www.davetyner.com/rf/building.jpg

I fractured the center thinking that when that went, the top of the building would collide with the bottom fracturing both, and then fall over shattering when it hit the ground.
http://www.davetyner.com/rf/building2.jpg

I frac'd and group'd all the platforms.
http://www.davetyner.com/rf/building3.jpg

When I just run from here the whole building explodes. I think this is because rayfire does not like when geometry is surrounded by geometry.
http://www.davetyner.com/rf/building4.jpg

My question is, what should my workflow be to accomplish the building collapsing normally? Thanks.

ACiD80
09 September 2009, 08:22 PM
this is probably quite off topic but anyone has any news on physix for max64?

SoLiTuDe
09 September 2009, 12:10 AM
this is probably quite off topic but anyone has any news on physix for max64?

Same as the last year -- nvidia will have it out in a few more months ..? :D

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw03.jpg (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw03.html)

@ em3 - Take a look at the max 2008 file (http://www.areagrey.com/other/fw_v06b.zip) when ready. I re-modeled your tower from eye, and did this rough pass. For RF to work best, be sure to not have intersecting objects or faces, and build complex objects from smaller ones to form them (like the pyramids are stone blocks). Use the Snap To vertices tool to align objects neatly for PhysX.

You want a good storyboard too, that characterizes what should happen, plan it and pick if you want an impact, blast, crumble or a mix. Depending on the chaos we may have to model the objects clean and consider how they may fragment auto or pre-fragment. This is 5800 units high, matched your scale. :)

em3
09 September 2009, 11:16 PM
PexElroy, huge thanks to you man. I was totally setting up geometry incorrectly. I will rework the model and post my results. Thanks again!!

edit: agreed on the boards. I know what I want to have happen in my head, why can't everyone else see that!! :P

em3
09 September 2009, 02:21 AM
Hey when I add a RF_Bomb, I don't get any options for it. Have you seen this?

em3
09 September 2009, 09:52 AM
Got the building collapse working but in need of refinement for sure. But the way I was building the geometry was def. the problem. EEUUUGGEE thanks PexElroy.

Put a test wmv on my site to some musix. Hope no one minds. :)

Boom Boom - UnrealED (http://www.treadster.com/boomboom.wmv) 20meg

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 05:41 PM
Looking good em3 :) Thanks for sharing; glad it helped.

jimmy4d
09 September 2009, 01:59 AM
em3..........haha.great stuff, looking sweet.

hey.......... how do I make a biped interact with rf. if I use a mocap file. I tried just linking a sphere to his foot to see but that doesnt work nor does grouping. does he need to be skinned first. any help with this..........also the ragdall max script crahes with rf too.

http://www.3dglove.com/09/_scene.avi

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 09:57 AM
Problem is that PhysX treat linked sphere as static object since it has not animation, so, for phsx that sphere stay on it's position whole time. You can check it falling something on sphere's place at the simulation start.
To avoid that you need to create at least one key transformation key for sphere, so PhysX will treat it as kinematic.
Also you can define sphere as deformable but in this case simulation will take much more time.

em3
09 September 2009, 03:54 AM
Hey all, posted this vid on my youtube page.

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trlgN7xba-w)

cheers

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 07:54 AM
Nice test ;) There are few things that can be improved though. You do have some internal structure, but the problem is that the inside of the building is hollow. That is very hard to do construction-wise, and even if you do, you'll need thick outer walls, that's why yours doesn't look convincing. You should either create a girder system inside, or a neat construction system from the outside, if you want it to be hollow. And, less importantly, you have some pieces that remain hovering in the air ;)

mir-vadim
09 September 2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, nice tests and I am totally agree with Hristo.
By the way, your test remind to me that I planned to add such feature as connectivity.
I noticed some not activated fragments frozen in the air, today I will take a look how to add such feature, don't think it will be hard. So RayFire will check for such frozen fragments and if they are not connected with other fragments RayFire will activate them either.
Heh, while I wrote that another nice feature came into my head, what if it will be possible to automatically group or glue together fragments which are not not connected with main body anymore, so they will not fall each one separately but as one solid object.
I see here a lot of possibilities. :)
Damn, while I wrote that another awesome feature came into my head, what if there will be such property as stress. Like if even some fragments connected with another fragments, but that connection is not strong enough and top fragments mass is high enough after some time top part will fall down on bottom and break it. Damn, now I know which feature I will add next in RayFire.
Well enough for new feature for now. :D
What do you guys think about that?

P.S. I type pretty fast. :D

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 11:44 AM
Hahahha way coooooool that's for a skype discussion!

ChrisBore
09 September 2009, 12:00 PM
That sounds awesome mate, I like the online brainstorimng - great idea!!

I think a good feature would be to add half-life to the glue strength, where after the first impact the glues strength would gradually degrade to a point where the joints start failing and crumbling. I suppose you localise it to an impact area and specify a radius too so only a contained area degrades.

Take it easy,

Chris

ThallDesign
09 September 2009, 01:43 PM
Nice test ;) There are few things that can be improved though. You do have some internal structure, but the problem is that the inside of the building is hollow. That is very hard to do construction-wise, and even if you do, you'll need thick outer walls, that's why yours doesn't look convincing. You should either create a girder system inside, or a neat construction system from the outside, if you want it to be hollow. And, less importantly, you have some pieces that remain hovering in the air ;)

Hey Hristo, I've got a question in a similar vein. I'm looking to destroy something that is made of concrete, completely solid. The concrete support beam underneath a highway to be specific. It's roughly 1.5 meters wide and 4m tall, unsure of the diameter (.75m?) I'd like to smash a cylinder horizontally through the concrete support beam, the cylinder being a placeholder for a person.

I've prefragged with Voroni Uniform into 550 or so pieces, set all the chunks as Impact objects. I haven't given the chunks mass, other than what Rayfire set by default.

I've set the cylinder I want to smash through the wall (Impactor) as an impact object, and set it as a PhysX influence as well. I've checked Actiavte by Geometry so the cement chunks only start to fall when hit by my cylinder.

My problem is animating my cylinder so that it's travelling fast enough to smash clean through the concrete pillar. No matter where I keyframe the cylinder, as fast as I try to make it impact the pillar, it always bounces off. Sometimes I'll get decent results and it will crash through, but then when I turn on Demolish Geometry it simply bounces off and only breaks the surface again.

I added all the concrete chunks as Inactive Objects after seeing Pex Elroy's building sim and seeing his results, but that also won't let it smash through.

When I make the chunks Impact Objects, and my cylinder an Unyielding object I get better results, but the cylinder appears to intersect with the chunks and then they go flying in many directions, or just fall through the box that's supposed to be my ground.

Is there a setting in Rayfire that will tell the object that even though it's not huge, it should still be heavy and smash through impact objects? Mass doesn't seem to be working, but I'm unsure if I'm supposed to lower the mass of my chunks, or raise the mass of the cylinder.

I've attached a crude image of what I'm trying to accomplish. I can post screens of my settings or my max file if neccesary when I get home from work.

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, since sir Newton said force=mass*acceleration, you need to either increase the mass of your cylinder or its speed, you can do both easily. For the mass - go into options/open custom properties rollout. You can find material/mass properties there, that you assign to the currently selected object when the 'use custom properties' button is active. For the speed - you just keyframe it, speed=travel/time.

P.S: Go check my 'Smartfrag' tutorial and read a little about concrete. In modern construction (since the end of the 19th century )It's never 'solid' concrete, there's always reinforcement inside that you need to show somehow.

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 04:31 PM
Hey all, posted this vid on my youtube page.
YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trlgN7xba-w)

@ em3 - Sweet pass man. ;) Agree with other posters above on their tips. Building the inside of the structure will help some. build only what you need for the shot and only where the impact would be; this will reduce model & sim time.

@ mir - I dig all your ideas - which would help a lot. And it would be cool to set the Glue strength per group, not only the global Glue strength; so some groups are stronger or weaker than others (with your other brainstormed features too). :twisted:

Glacierise
09 September 2009, 04:55 PM
Also, it would be cool to set the Glue strength per group, not just a global Glue strength

Totally with you there! We need that!

On the other hand - a WIPpie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhWLJ9qAAc

em3
09 September 2009, 04:29 PM
Is there a setting in Rayfire that will tell the object that even though it's not huge, it should still be heavy and smash through impact objects? Mass doesn't seem to be working, but I'm unsure if I'm supposed to lower the mass of my chunks, or raise the mass of the cylinder.

I've attached a crude image of what I'm trying to accomplish. I can post screens of my settings or my max file if neccesary when I get home from work.

I too am struggling with this. Downloading tute now. Thanks Hristo!

Digital Masta
Tyson Ibele just came out with a interesting script that I could see being a lot of fun with Rayfire.

I haven't tried it out myself but it's a building generator

http://www.tysonibele.com/

PexElroy
09 September 2009, 04:52 PM
@ Masta - cool looking script, will check that out ;)

@ ThallDesign - could you post some screens to show scene layout, and column impact confined to.

em3
09 September 2009, 06:38 PM
Tyson Ibele just came out with a interesting script that I could see being a lot of fund with Rayfire.

I haven't tried it out myself but it's a building generator

http://www.tysonibele.com/

Checked it out, its awesome and quite handy. Only problem is that much of the generated geometry is intersecting and not sitting at the same levels so it just bounces like crazy. This was from like a 15 minute test so maybe you guys will have different results. Bottom line, it's an AWESOME plugin!