View Full Version : RayFire Tool

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

LeifKE
10 October 2008, 07:49 AM
Thank you Mir, this is just what I need.

Leif.

JohnnyRandom
10 October 2008, 07:14 PM
Cool addition.

I have a request. Sub-fracturing. Every time I try to fracture a pre-fractured set, even using lower iterations Max hangs when it is almost done, I have a ton of ram in the machine so not thinking it is running out (i have run into that issue and this is not it). It kind of sucks I really like the look of a large fracture set and those larger chunks fractured again.

Any ideas or what do you think?

PsychoSilence
10 October 2008, 07:22 PM
what i usually do since i DONT have much ram i use less detailed settings but once that is thru i fracture these chunks again with even less detailed settings. if necessary i do that as long as i need.

PexElroy
10 October 2008, 07:26 PM
when group will collide with something, it will not be demolished totally.
want to implement some kind of connectivity feature like in reactor fracture helper also.
Thanks mir, looking forward to these great features :drool: - will allow a lot of creative freedom.

Johnny - try to fracture with big chunks to small, then pick any larger chunks you want to keep breaking down, and repeat over and over, by adding and removing new chunks; use 4 steps or less.

Glacierise - Nice work on part 5 :)

MartinRomero
10 October 2008, 07:30 PM
I had that problem before but now I work with little detail and more detail as I go along.

Martin

JohnnyRandom
10 October 2008, 07:34 PM
Excellent, thanks Gents, just tried it, works a charm!

mir-vadim
10 October 2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that is why I added Interactive selection.
When it is ON, You can just select object and fragment it,
without adding it in Impact list manually each time.

Anyway, I will take a look how to fix Your problem Johnny, but later. :)

AlecS
10 October 2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Mir-

Love working with RayFire. Planning a rather large project with it. I’m having a problem with PhysX. When I go to run a simulation, I get an error that the PhysX software is not properly installed. Then it asks if I want to go download it. I’m running the Nvidia Game System Software version 2.8.1. I’ve uninstalled everything and reinstalled at least twice. Is there an order to what software has to be installed first? Any idea’s here? When I go to the web page they send me to the version is 8.06.13 June 25th 2008. Do I need to run this too? Getting confused with this.

Thanks!

Alec

This is XP pro running in 32 bit Max 2009

mir-vadim
10 October 2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, this is usual problem for Physx plugin users.
First of all, go to their page and dwonload and install version is 8.06.13
Or You can download it by this link.
http://mirvadim.com/Files/PhysX_8.06.12_SystemSoftware.exe

If after this You will get the same error, then go to Add\Remove programs and remove
NVIDIA GAME SYSTEM software 2.8.1, then remove NVIDIA PhysX v8.08.01
and final install PhysX_8.06.12_SystemSoftware.exe again.

They said that this issue happens when user has a lot of Physx sdk version installed in different time and solution is to remove all of then and install only one. Also they said that this bug will be fixed soon, but I don't know when actually.

AlecS
10 October 2008, 07:40 PM
<<If after this You will get the same error, then go to Add\Remove programs and remove
NVIDIA GAME SYSTEM software 2.8.1, then remove NVIDIA PhysX v8.08.01
and final install PhysX_8.06.12_SystemSoftware.exe again.>>

Thanks for the help Mir. Still having trouble. I've removed everything I could including RayFire and reinstalled. It still comes up unsupported. Very odd. Is there something I missed? Should I install Rayfire and then PhysX 8.0.6.12 in that order? Does it even matter? Odd this isn't working here. Working fine at my home machine. Identicle except I'm running Vista at home.

Thanks
Alec

mir-vadim
10 October 2008, 08:02 PM
PhysX_8.06.12_SystemSoftware installs all existed Physx SDK versions.
RayFire 32bit version installer contains only 2.8.2 SDK version, which it installs automatically.
So, You shoud not remove RayFire, removing RF You do not remove anything related to Physx. Just remove all installed SDK versions and then install only PhysX_8.06.12_SystemSoftware.
Usually this helped to solve this problem.
Note me how this will help You.

MartinRomero
10 October 2008, 12:31 AM
Hello mir-vadim,

I just wanted to let you know about a minor issue that happens in Rayfire 1.3 and 1.4 when selecting "Explode Impact Objects" button.

Here are the steps:

1.Select your the geometry that you want to blow away with your Bomb and add it to the Simulation TAB.

2. Go to Ray Explosion Tab and Fragment your objects anyway you like in my case
Fragmentation type = Irregular
Iterations 5 + 1
Chaos 55
Detalization 11
Noise Strength .6
Then, I select "Fragment Impact Objects"

3. Then I select "Explode Impact Objects" with this settings
Explosion direction Spherical, Explosion frame=8, Time range 40, Explosion strength =65, Explosion chaos =205, Spin strength 35, Explosion range 25, Range angle 360.
Create animation is checked

Result after hitting the button "Explode Impact Objects"

The simulation happens only on the first two frames, in this case frames 8 and 9.

Does the settings from the impact objects have anything to do with this? for my example
I have them like this:
IMPACT OBJECTS SETTINGS
Simulation geometry "Convex Mesh
Material Wood
Mass By material density
and the default settings.

I have been using Rayfire for awhile now and I love it. This seems to be a minor bug and happens every once in a while.

Later

Martin

mir-vadim
10 October 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi, Martin.
I tested this on fresh scene and all works fine.
I guess problem migh be in scene You use or in RayFire setting.
Can You send me this scene for tests?
And let me know which version You use, including minor build version.

Thanks.

MartinRomero
10 October 2008, 07:57 PM
Hi mir-vadim (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=259958),

I restarted the scene and now it works fine. I will make sure to carefully follow the steps that caused the problem.

Martin

PsychoSilence
11 November 2008, 11:17 PM
Happy Birthday to You, Mir!

Thanks for all the support to the people and your outstanding work on RayFire.

Glacierise
11 November 2008, 11:26 PM
Somebody knows the timezones well hehhe :) Anyways it's past 12 so let the festivities begin! Happy birthday Mir!!!

JohnnyRandom
11 November 2008, 03:06 AM
Happy Birthday to You, Mir!

Thanks for all the support to the people and your outstanding work on RayFire.

cheers dude! :beer:

Steve Green
11 November 2008, 12:09 PM
Happy Birthday Mir,

I just hope your cake doesn't explode into a thousand pieces :)

Cheers

Steve

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 03:14 PM
Hey, Thanks for all. :)
And here is my present for You and for myself.

RayFire Tool 1.42 just released.

Welcome all. :)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=697594

Abdel
11 November 2008, 03:46 PM
Hy, happy birtday Mir..

Im gonna check the new version now, hope the demo isnt restricted like 1.41.
Thx,

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 03:54 PM
To be hones 1.41 was so restricted beacuse of bug.
I didn't even know about this bug.
This one is not so restricted.

Abdel
11 November 2008, 04:05 PM
Ahh thats great, i see you've increased the 'Time Range' as well.. Very nice, will do some test now;

Glacierise
11 November 2008, 04:55 PM
Dude that new version in full of awesome features again. Substeps for unyielding - great. Groups demolition - great. Per object demolition level - great. And I could just go on and on! Gonna test this baby!

jigu
11 November 2008, 05:42 PM
Congrates Mr.Mir. I am gonna download demo of this new release and will try out. Just wondering, Is there no Physx support for 64bit plugin? I am switched to 64bit pipeline to use more memory. Is it possible to use physx support for 32bit max on 64bit XP? or 32bit physx version won't work on 64bit XP?

Steve Green
11 November 2008, 05:45 PM
Hi,

no, there's no 64-bit PhsyX plugin, but you can use PhysX on 32-bit Max running on a 64-bit OS, just not 64-bit Max running on a 64-bit OS.

At least, that's the case until someone writes a 64-bit version of PhysX plugin.

Cheers,

Steve

jigu
11 November 2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for quick reply. So there is no 64bit physx available yet. That would be nice to have 64bit Physx. I just downloaded, will try to make cool stuff out of this great plugin.

Steve Green
11 November 2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, it's a shame - especially since 64-bit would suit lots of fragments/particles.

Cheers,

Steve

PexElroy
11 November 2008, 10:02 PM
happy birthday Mir, checking out 1.42 now - thanks :applause:

MartinRomero
11 November 2008, 10:15 PM
Happy Birthday man and thank you for creating a really cool tool such as Rayfire

Martin

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 09:59 AM
Hi everyone.. Im playing around with the rayfire Demo (1.4.2)

But is it only me that cant get anything to work as it should ? what i mean by that is, no matter what unit type, what weight or whatever i do I cant get a simple box to fall apart nice and slowly like a concrete wall or anything, like the 100s of example videoes out there :/

No matter what i do, it seems to explode my mesh in every direction... and I simply dont get it.. also the generating cracks on collision wont work.

Im starting to think that there is something wrong with the demo compared to the licensed or ?

well does anyone have any sort of idea why im having so huge problems controling something so simple... then feel free :)

thanks

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 02:46 PM
Hi, thomaskc.
First of all tell me which physical engine You use.
In case You use PhysX engine and You want to use Interactive Demolition system then You should know that Physx engine unable to simulate concave geometry as concave, it creates proxy convex geometry and use it instead. I guess Your mesh explodes because these convex proxy geometry interpenetrates with each other after fragmentation, To prevent this, set noise property in Fragmentation options to 0.
There is tutorial scene in Scenes folder, just open it and click on Bake Animation. All should work fine.
Also check out all last video tutorials and if You still will have problems, please, post screenshots or better scene.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 04:16 PM
Ah hi again, It helped ALOT after i put noise to 0,0 when fragmentating objects! thanks

PexElroy
11 November 2008, 06:30 PM
well as a simulator RayFire has safe zones and danger zones, like most simulators. Due to the complex nature of real explosions, in some cases face interpenetration, in PhysX may behave bizarre.

in a way the explosions you were getting are caused by the PhysX plugin trying to cope with the multiple faces that are all bunched up and moving inside each other quickly.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 06:45 PM
Okay, now things fall more naturally.. until they hit the ground.. then all hell breaks loose :/

Ive tried to increase collision tollerance, added more subdivs, tried different frictions and collision damping.. but nothing really helps, just does makes it go nuts in different ways.

If you guys would be so kind and take a look at this preview:

www.thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/rayfire_bounce_error.mov (630kb)

then you will see what my problem is :-)

and thanks for the help so far!

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 07:56 PM
What is Your substeps value?
I guess You use really high value, like 30 or even more.
Try to lower substeps, 5 will be more then enough.
And let me know how this will help You.

And small advice.
Decrease time scale about on 30 %.
I think it will look more realistically.
IMHO :)

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 08:22 PM
Hi again :)

Sub steps are at 30 in the test i uploaded, but ive tried anything from 1 - 5 - 10 - 25 everything ends up the same way. However you are right, values between 2 and 6 gives the best results.. still jumping around though.

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 08:35 PM
Well, another small advice is to set Collision damping to 0.05 or 0.1.
This one will not help a lot though.

PexElroy
11 November 2008, 08:43 PM
The sometimes "popcorn" we see, could be from convex objects which maybe inside each other.

pops might be a problem in how PhysX handles objects that are close together, and is simulating with a convex hull, but the object maybe concave. those corner fragments maybe popping due to the convex hull around them.

AlecS
11 November 2008, 04:43 AM
Hi Mir-
I've just started getting this error when trying to run a sim. (see attached) Any ideas? This was working fine until now. (Vista 64, Max 2009 32bit) Basically, it just throws up this error and won't run the sim.

Thanks
Alec

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 08:22 AM
I guess You use version 1.41.03 or 04.
If so, get Your 1.42 version via Customer area.

AlecS
11 November 2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks Mir-
I have been using the latest version. For some unknown reason, everything works fine now. Rather odd, but seems ok. Back to playing with my favorite plugin.

Thanks again

Alec

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 07:36 PM
Hi again :)

Sub steps are at 30 in the test i uploaded, but ive tried anything from 1 - 5 - 10 - 25 everything ends up the same way. However you are right, values between 2 and 6 gives the best results.. still jumping around though.

Today after few tests I clearly realized that popcorn effect was not so annoying in previous version. After few minutes problem was localized. RayFire 1.42 uses PhysX plugin 1.0.6 beta, and there are few changes which I didn't take into account when released 1.42.
Anyway, new minor build 1.42.01 with fixed problem just released, You can get it via Automatic Update System.

thomaskc, please resimulate Your animation, I am sure now all will be fine.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 10:15 PM
Thats sounds excellent !

Are there compiled a demo of this new version aswell? at the moment I am not subscribing so can't get and test the full version from auto update.

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 11:05 PM
Yes, demo versions with this fix also uploaded.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 11:29 PM
Now that is just AWESOME!

You really did something right there :D

some data:

collision tol. "0,0"
substep. "3"

here the result, first try after updating:
http://www.thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/rayfire_working01.mov

It seems to work like a charm now! :D I feel I will be making alots of funny things with this :P

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 11:35 PM
Awesome! :)
Do not forget to post here Your further animations.
I am just wondering how many fragment there?

kabyll
11 November 2008, 03:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been testing Rayfire (the 1.42 demo), and I don't understand anything ^^'

I'm just trying to explode a simple window, my scene is pretty simple but anyway... I don't understand how to do that...

So, if anyone can guide me, because I'm totaly lost.

here is a screenshot
http://users.skynet.be/kabyll/rayfire.jpg

I tried two ways:

1) with a animated object

- the pink object is animated to push the shelf into the window (> unyielding and steel)
- the shelf had to be animated by the simulation and should break the window (> impact object and steel cause I don t want it to be demolished)
- the window (> inactive object - glass)
- the other object don't move and don't have to be demolished (> unyielding and steel also)

then, I used the Demolition Tool (with break inactive object activated only).

doing that, the window breaks once, but the fragments don't break when falling on the ground (I tried to put "depth level" to 2, even 3 in "interactive demolition options" but... didn't help)

2) whit a RFbomb (and without the shelf... even if I need it)

- the window as impact object + RFbomb as bomb, and fragmented "by bomb position"
- then, the fragments as inactive object (glass)
- RFbomb as PhysiX influence and "activate by force" enabled (many attempts with differents values for strenght, range, etc.)
- the ground and other objects as unyielding (steel)

but nothing happends when running the simulation (with create animation)
the window fragments just fall down, as if there was no bomb, but just gravity)

I realy do not understand how to set up those things... Why doesn't it work?
(is it a limitation of the demo version?)

Hope anyone could help,

Thank you,

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 08:17 AM
Hi, kabyll.
Your problem is that You use Reactor Demolition feature and tune PhysX Demolition feature properties. And those are completely different things.
First of all close Reactor Demolition rollout and go to Physics Tab in case You use 32 bit version.
Set Your engine to PhysX, go to Interactive demolition options and activate "Demolish geometry".Now You can start Bake Animation (button with circle and arrow).
Also do not use simple plane as Unyielding object, give it some thickness using shell modifier.

Thes with You second problem, You added RF_Bomb in Physx influence list and used reactor engine.

I really advice to download and watch few video tutorials, they will really help You.
http://mirvadim.com/index.php?id=tutorials

P.S. I wish for other people to describe their problems like You did. :)

TwiiK
11 November 2008, 08:29 AM
I have one problem which I know isn't your fault Mir, but I'm hoping you know something about. :)

64-bit physX support, have you heard any more on that?

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 08:41 AM
Only thing which I know for now is that one of the engineer on Nvidia forum said that 64 bit PhysX SDK will be released in 2009. This is all I know.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 08:54 AM
@mir-vadim

Sure ill post them here :)

And about the test scene:

Tepot: 78
Box: 1625

Totalt fragment objects: 1703

And it only took a few minutes to calculate on my core2 duo 2,5ghz laptop.

*edit*
If anyone wants to look at settings or test themself, ive uploaded the scene file.

http://www.thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/breaking_box.rar

Note! the scene file is for 3ds max 2009.
(around 22mb rar - 78mb unpacked)

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 11:23 AM
I have a question though... How would you guys setup a sequence where you would have a wall which is inactive, until an object (cylinder) pokes holes in it? I cant seem to get to control a collision objects while its hand animated ?

you can see the rough setup idea here

www.thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/wall_break.avi (http://www.thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/wall_break.avi)

in that test i just through the cylinder at the wall, but if I wanted to have 100% control over it, by animating it ?

the closest thing ive found is by making it an influense object, but that aint right either, since it wont push/break/collide with the wall then.

*edit*

Also, what is it that makes the calculation tesselate new fragments during calculation?! I mean does it only happen when using influence geometry or how is that controlled? my first tests didnt do it.... its a cool effect, but things get REALLY heavy... and an option to use it or not might become handy.

thanks

kabyll
11 November 2008, 01:25 PM
Hi mir-vadim,

First of all, thank you for your help.

I would have said, I'm using the 64bits version, so there is no PhysiX support.
I'm gonna try installing the 32bits demo and do what you suggested.

I already watched a lot of your tutorials. It realy helps, but I didn't realised it was sometime with PhysiX, and sometime with Reactor.

Hope the 32bits version will help :)

I will come back later to say ;)

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 02:37 PM
I have a question though... How would you guys setup a sequence where you would have a wall which is inactive, until an object (cylinder) pokes holes in it? I cant seem to get to control a collision objects while its hand animated ?

Hi, this is second and I guess last PhysX engine disadvantage. PhysX engine unable to affect on Inactive objects by Unyielding object. The best workaround in this case is to use wall fragments as Deactivated Impact objects, and animated Unyielding object as activation geometry in Physx influence list.
I showed this feature in this tutorial,
http://mirvadim.com/videos/tut/RayFire141_PhysX_Objects_Activation.wmv
only difference is to define sphere as Unyielding object.
Let me know how this will help You and post here results.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 02:41 PM
thanks for the reply, im actually testing that right now.. but if you see the editted part of my earlier post, things are getting very slow due to constant fragmentation.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 03:25 PM
So I found a solution, and thanks again Mir V.

the result is here:

http://www.thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/wall_drill.mov

The idea was to have a drill cut through a wall.

It was achived by putting the fragmented wall in the impact section and then telling it to freeze all impact objects.

the "drill" cylinder is an unyielding object AND an influence object (activate by geometry). So what happens is that the cylinder gets close to the wall, activates it and then collides with it due to the unyielding part. at the same time i have 100% control of the cylinders movement as the gravity does not take over.

a great way to speed up things is by making the wall rough with large fragments and then turn on "demolish geometry" in the interactive demolition options.
Rembere here, that the RayXplosion settings are used here, so before you simulate the animation set the fragmentation to a reasonable amount... what all this does is that you have a simple wall, that gets detailed only where the cylinder "hits", as you can see in my quick test.

hope this helps someone else, atleast I got smarter :P

kabyll
11 November 2008, 05:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I m getting crazy.

On my main computer, I m running Vista 64bits and max2008-64bits.
When I install 3dsmax 2008 - 32bits, it doesn't load at all... (because of vista?)

So, I tried on a second computer, running Xp 64bits and 3dsmax2008 (32 and 64bits)

I never had problem on this one, and 3dsmax launchs perfectly. But... when I install RayFire 1.42 -32bits (demo) on this computer... 3dsmax2008 just doesn't load anymore.
And desinstalling it doesn't help 3dsmax to launch back, I have to desinstall/reinstall max.

I don't understand the problem.

I will try to desinstall Ageia PhysiX (any conflict?) on the second computer before installing max2008 and RayFire, but... is that the problem?

(I didn't find anything to help here: http://www.mirvadim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2)

or maybe (would be best in my case), is there a way to use PhysiX with Rayfire on a 64bits 3dsmax2008 version?

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 06:26 PM
Hi,
Try to delete manually these two Physx plugin files.
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max\plugins\pxplugin.dlm and
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max\NxTetra.dll
And try again to launch max.

kabyll
11 November 2008, 11:35 PM
I don't realy know how but finaly 3dsmax2008 works fine on my vista 64bits. And I have been able to install rayfire. So...

Using PhysiX, the simulation with the bomb starts calculating, but it stops prematurely:

-- Unable to convert: $selection to type: <node>

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 03:03 PM
Hi, can You send scene for tests?
Save it right before start simulation and send to me, please.

kabyll
11 November 2008, 03:21 PM
finaly it works!!! :D don't know how, or why, but it works and that's cool!!!

(sorry for the scene with the error, I don't remember which it was, I've tried so many things since it works :) )
If I encounter the problem again, I'll send you a scene.

I'm realy having fun with this tool, fantastic job Mir! Congratulations!
The physix engine is awesome, I will never use reactor anymore :)

Just a question while I'm discovering all the possibilities of Rayfire:

- guess I have shelves that are groups of simple boxes
(doing that I can use only "bounding boxes" for impact objects, even if there are object in the shelves)
- and that I would like some shelves to break into boxes they are composed of (but no into fragments) and some that I don't want to be break (neither into boxes or fragments, but just moving)

Is it possible to do that?

(the only way I found is to modelise in one piece of polys the shelves I don't want to be break, using the "add rayfire properties to selected objects" > steel or whatever and concave objects. But I guess doing that slows down the simulation. And I can't test cause the "add rayfire properties" is disabled in the demo :) )

---

If I can suggest you something for the next versions, it would be great to give the possibility of disabling some objects of the simulation (and giving the possibily to use ctrl+shift to select them in a list)

Example,
I have a lot of objects in the impact objects list. Some are groups, other just boxes. And now I would like to add a new object just to be able to fragment it. The only way to do that is to clear the list, adding the one I want to fragment, and then add objects, open ing every groups before doing that, and then closing all of them once they are added. Maybe a bit time consuming.

(maybe it is already possible to do something with "add rayfire properties", but I can't test)

Once more, fantastic tool you did here!

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 04:10 PM
Hi and thanks, :)
For now it is impossible to break group partially.
In current version You can only break whole group at once.
I am planning to add ability to partially break groups in next version though.

The reason I added groups support is to add some way to simulate dynamics concave objects. For now Physx engine just cant simulate concave dynamics objects as concave, it creates convex proxy geometry for them. So it is impossible to model part of the shelf which You don't want to break and define it as concave. It will be simulated as convex and all objects inside this convex proxy geometry will explode immediatelly.
Also, if You just want to demolish group, but don't want to demolish geometry just turn OFF "Demolish geometry" in Interactive Demolition properties.

And thanks for suggestion,
I will think how to implement this.

AlecS
11 November 2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Mir-
I still can't seem to get PhysX working on my work computer. When I try to select PhysX from the drop down in RayFire it just gives me an error that the Nvidia software isn't loaded. It is loaded. I've installed it at least twice. See screen grab below.You mentioned last time that there was some issue of installing the Nvidia software too many times. Do you think there's some residual software somewhere on my computer that's confusing this? Really need help with this.

Thanks

Alec

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 05:07 PM
Hi, first of all where is NVIDIA Game System Software 2.8.1 which automatically installs after RayFire installation?
http://mirvadim.com/images/AddRemPhysX.jpg
Install last 1.42 version again please.

Also at this moment available new NVIDIA PhysX System Software 8.10.13
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_8.10.13_whql.html
You can install this one instead of old, if installation of 1.42 will not help.

Let me know how this will help.
And sorry for inconvenience.
All these installations/deinstallations/reinstallations bother me no less then You. :)

kabyll
11 November 2008, 05:30 PM
I think I found a way to do that kind of stuff.

- I add the boxes wich composed all of my shelf in impact objects.
- for the shelves I don t want to be break into boxes, I create 1 group/shelf
- for the shelf I want to break into pieces (but not fragment), I create as many group as there are boxes composing the shelf (one group/box > 21 groups for this shelf).
- I don't enable "demolish groups" but enable demolish geometry.

doing that, the "one group" shelves just move, the objects into the shelves break into fragments, and the last shelf break into boxes

there is always a solution :)

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 05:34 PM
Nice, do not forget to post here results. :)

AlecS
11 November 2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks Mir-
Works perfect now. Don't know why that install didn't work. Working fine now.

Appreciate it.

Alec

floopyb
11 November 2008, 10:56 PM
How come when you fracture something up and just want to sim it crumbling it seems to explode outwards? I have been able to get it not to do that by turning the gravity up (to 30!!) but this is not ideal as it still dosent look right.
Also I have a sphere that pushes through my fragments to activate them and its movement is stepped in the substeps, while the fragments are calculated each frame. The sphere is ONLY in the physx influence list.

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 11:20 PM
I had the same problems at first, but its physX and how it handles selfcollision.

All you need to be sure of is that NOISE is set to 0,0 EVERYTIME you make fragtions. with just tiny noise the fragments will overlap just slightly and physX will do what it can from start to revert this, by moving the fragments apart :) thereby your "boom" effect.

Hope this helps you.

PexElroy
11 November 2008, 11:53 PM
I am planning to add ability to partially break groups in next version though.

This will be awesome, for Impact objects, so that parts of the group can have objects that break, and not all of the objects in that group would break, and we can animate this too as an impact object. :thumbsup:

have noticed that if objects are inside one another, from noise in cutting or touching, PhysX will do a forced push and that (currently) may cause objects to blow up undesirably.

kabyll
11 November 2008, 03:19 AM
nice tips about the noise, I note that.

Mir, about the " -- Unable to convert: $selection to type: <node>" error,

I m pretty sure to know where it comes from.
It happends everytime an object (used in the simulation) is selected while pressing the "start simulation preview" (or baking animation)

After that, closing the scene is the only thing to do.

an other suggestion if I may,

It would be awesome if there was two or three "impacts objects list", so it would be possible to use different materials properties for multiple objects demolition.

(if you're searching for a beta tester, I'm there ;), love love love this tool)

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 01:39 PM
Ok, thanks, I will try to find this bug.

And actually it is already possible to add different Fragmentation properties and material for each object adding advanced RayFire properties.
But this feature restricted in demo version.

floopyb
11 November 2008, 10:51 PM
When using geometry in the physx list to activate geometry i am noticing that it only ever uses the bounding box of the geometry, not even a convex hull. This is quite limiting, is this normal?

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 10:54 PM
That is at the moment a nvidia physX limitation.. Nvidia will have to make changes for it work, and we all hope it will happen soon :)

Glacierise
11 November 2008, 11:05 PM
I usually parent some geometry with the shape i need to the impact object, and use that child object as the activator. That gives much more control.

floopyb
11 November 2008, 12:55 AM
I usually parent some geometry with the shape i need to the impact object, and use that child object as the activator. That gives much more control.

Yeah, i have been doing that. Building up a set of boxes that roughly fit my activator object. Bit annoying though!!!

VVaari
11 November 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks mir-vadim for this fun tool, here is just video from my first tests:
http://dante.daug.net/3d/rayfire_test.mov

Besides that crappy video of mine, i have actually question for you mir-vadim:
Any change you could change the demo launches to work in different way, so you could close and open floater as many times as you want and it would only decrease launch count when you open floater for the first time? So if you restart max and start rayfire, launch count decreases.
Just asking because i have this very annoying habit to close floater everytime when i preview animation in full screen viewport :D

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 05:56 PM
So.. im working on a small personal "all for fun and training" project, and thought id share the very first test with you guys.

basic setup:
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/military_outpost_001.jpg

rayfire test001
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/camp_blast01_6mb.mov

rayfire test002 (3 bombs)
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/camp_blast02_5mb.mov

The basic idea is that I want to make a bomb (fumeFX) to drop in the small military camp and blow it to pieces.. maybe add some realflow fluids in the 3 oiltanks :)

If you guy want, ill keep posting progress.

PexElroy
11 November 2008, 07:21 PM
thomaskc - good stuff, keep sharing. could boost the chaos of the PBombs for more speed variation; depends what type of blast you're after. like if the PBombs are moved down, the fragments will go higher, and decreasing Time scale will make the fragments feel heavier.

AlecS
11 November 2008, 02:16 AM
Hi Mir-

I've been getting odd error messages (see attached). These are very simple scenes using PhysX on Vista 64 running 2009 32bit. Basically, it just throws up this error and wont continue. To get things running smooth again, I usually have to restart the computer. Do you know what this error means?

Thanks. Peace.

Alec

mir-vadim
11 November 2008, 10:15 AM
Hi, Alec.
Can You save scene right before start simulation, and send it to me.
Also, please, describe what exactly You did before start simulation?

thomaskc
11 November 2008, 12:18 PM
Examples of RFbomb use

A few days ago I played around with RFBomb instead of Pbomb, to get some new fun effects (like shockwave). and thought id share the tests with you

Planar RFbomb with shockwave:
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/planar_rfbomb_shockwave.mov

Planar (Horisontal) RFbomb with shockwave:
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/planar_horisontal_rfbomb_shockwave.mov

Spherical RFbomb with shockwave:
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/spherical_rfbomb_shockwave.mov

Hope you like it

AlecS
11 November 2008, 04:32 PM
<<Hi, Alec.
Can You save scene right before start simulation, and send it to me.
Also, please, describe what exactly You did before start simulation?>>

I will try Mir. It's very random and usually I can't save once it errors out. If I can save a file maybe right before I will send it to you.

Thanks

Alec

AlecS
11 November 2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Mir-
I just sent you a file. Check you Miradmin email.

Thanks

Alec

AlecS
11 November 2008, 08:37 PM
After messing around with this a lot today it looks like "Demolish Geometry" might be the problem. I have no problem if I fracture things ahead of time, but as soon as I try the "Demolish Geometry" it flakes out heavy. Maybe a Vista thing? Does anyone else have any issues like this?

Thanks Mir.

Alec

PsychoSilence
11 November 2008, 09:07 PM
Examples of RFbomb use

A few days ago I played around with RFBomb instead of Pbomb, to get some new fun effects (like shockwave). and thought id share the tests with you

Planar RFbomb with shockwave:
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/planar_rfbomb_shockwave.mov

Planar (Horisontal) RFbomb with shockwave:
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/planar_horisontal_rfbomb_shockwave.mov

Spherical RFbomb with shockwave:
http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/spherical_rfbomb_shockwave.mov

Hope you like it

looks promising :)

PexElroy
12 December 2008, 04:35 AM
few days ago I played around with RFBomb instead of Pbomb

nice large scale shock waves :cool:

Milio
12 December 2008, 11:59 PM
Hi!

I have been tested the demo of Rayfire... and is bloody brilliant!!

I'm evaluating the demo at the moment to actually get at least a license if (I think so) Rayfire is covering our needs of destruction.. :)

We are using XSI in our studio right now, although we could use Max and FBX to transfer across the information created by Rayfire would be great to have the actual tool developed for XSI.

Do you have any plan to port Rayfire to another 3D package?

Thanks and congratulations.

Cheers.

Milio.

MartinRomero
12 December 2008, 01:20 AM
Hello mir-vadim,

I am using Rayfire 1.4

I was wondering, what are the chances of adding some kind of “save preset tool” on the "Layers Tab"? This would be so helpful when one needs to go back and edit things like Time Scale, Gravity, Explosion Chaos and Explosion Strength on a specific layer that needs to be changed.

I am actually working on a Giant destruction set and I am dealing with wood, glass and bricks and as well as other elements using mainly bombs inside "Reactor Explosion"

I think it's really cool that you can select any layer created, save it in the Layer Manager, and reload it in the Simulation "Impact Object if needed" however, I am running into the issue of needing to change a specific layer and I wish Rayfire had the option of saving presets from the specific layers.

Let's say that I have 20 layers, and want to change something to a particular layer, it's kind of difficult to recreate the same exact effect unless you have been writing down specific settings for that layer which could be glass, or bricks or anything. What I have been doing is writing all the settings down, so that If I have to change any particular layer, I can load up it's settings and change only the few specific settings. Like I said, I think it would be nice if on any later version a preset sort of tool could be added.
Sent at 5:38 PM on Monday

Martin

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 12:37 PM
Hi, Millo. RayFire Tool more max script then a plugin.
So, I have no plan to develop XSI version in near future.

Martin, I will take a look how it can be implemented.
For now YOu can easily use standard presets to save You settings for different layers.
Go to Effects Tab \ Preset settings. There You can save and load all RF properties.

MartinRomero
12 December 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks mir-vadim (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=259958),

Cheers,

Martin

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 05:54 PM
I wanted to give to this video more clear name but Anselm forced me to name it as:

wanna-see-something-cool.mov (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/screen/wanna-see-something-cool.mov)

Enjoy and take into account that this is just beta version, work in Progress. :)

PsychoSilence
12 December 2008, 05:55 PM
I wanted to give to this video more clear name but Anselm forced me to name it as:

wanna-see-something-cool.mov (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/screen/wanna-see-something-cool.mov)

Enjoy and take into account that this is just beta version, work in Progress. :)

i admit it was me :) at least i think it is cool...but "cool" undervalues it by a wee tinny bit even imo :D

ddustin
12 December 2008, 06:33 PM
Mir-vadim,

You are truely a mad genius (that is a compliment by the way).
Your application just keeps getting better and better.

David

JohnnyRandom
12 December 2008, 06:43 PM
Dude beautiful:D, I remember quite some time back you were talking about this type of implementation.

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 07:15 PM
That's wonderful, imagine how much doors this opens up. Can't wait for a release of that one!

LD50
12 December 2008, 11:12 PM
Awesome man!!! Thats a realy "cool" and useful feature. Rock on and keep it real.
greetz

PexElroy
12 December 2008, 04:00 PM
Awesome feature mir - can an image of draw cracked lines be used as well, or does it use closed shapes?

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 05:21 PM
Shortly about how these new features works.

First part let You cache shapes using black\white maps.
It caches them as coordinates for shapes, so after You cached map once, You can quickly create shapes at any time later. Also it is posiible to cache Your own shapes, selecting these shapes and right clicking on "Add" button.
Problem for now is that it creates shapes only on edges of black and white pixels, this mean that if You will draw black line on white map, after caching You will get two shapes with distance between them, You can scale them a little to fix this tho.

Second part let You fragment Impact objects using shapes, created from cached file or drawn by You, no matter. Only You have to do is just position them, so their Z axis direction will look at Impact object (pay attention that You can postion them at any angle from each other, no need to keep them parallel), select them, and hit "Fragment" button.

Basically all works fine already, but sometimes when You use hipoly Impact objects, or shapes with a lot of vertices, or a lot of shapes, proBoolean may fail. And at this moment I am trying to optimize this system as much as possible.

Also, there are not a lot of options, but I decided to release it with minimum properties for now. After You all will test it I will add properties which You need more.

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi.
Just want to note that 1.43 release date will be shifted for a week or so.
The reason is that I just added new fragmentation type and want to test and fix it before release.
New fragmentation type based on Voronoi diagram, and let You to fragment objects in different way then current RayFire fragmentation types.

Here some info about Voronoi diagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram)

And here screen grab witn new feature in action.
www.mirvadim.com/videos/screen/RayFire_1_43_Voronoi.avi (www.mirvadim.com/videos/screen/RayFire_1_43_Voronoi.avi)

depleteD
12 December 2008, 12:00 AM
OMG!

FINNALY!

Man I have been waiting for someone to implement the Voroni diagram for fracturing in max for AGES! This is so nice to see. Great freaking work man.

-Andrew

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 12:27 AM
And with spline fracturing, it gets even sweeter. Await fracturing presets soon! And this is only the begining. The shapes/map/noise fragmentation engine offers sooo many possibilities, you'll be surprised by the next releases!

JohnnyRandom
12 December 2008, 12:46 AM
you'll be surprised by the next releases! Oh do tell:D spill the beans man, what you got?

JonathanFreisler
12 December 2008, 12:56 AM
oh im so freaking exited. cool guys

MartinRomero
12 December 2008, 04:00 AM
Looking forward to it mir-vadim (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=259958)!

Martin

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 12:56 PM
Just few more test previews :)

Simple box fragmentation.
4096 fragments
456 s. with redraw ON
372 s. with redraw OFF
RayFire_143_Voronoi_4096Frag_Test_01.avi (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RayFire_143_Voronoi_4096Frag_Test_01.avi)

Fragmentation relative to Impact point. Work in progress tho.
RayFire_143_Voronoi_410Frag_Test_02.avi (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RayFire_143_Voronoi_410Frag_Test_02.avi)

thomaskc
12 December 2008, 02:59 PM
Very nice... any real changes in stability, speed and so on by using the new fragmentation method compared to the old ? im thinking about the first test.

Massemannen
12 December 2008, 10:28 PM
cheeez, you´re a machine!!!

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 11:09 PM
Cool tests mir, especially the parts close to the fragmentation. I like the rocky, rounded quality of the pieces.

wreath
12 December 2008, 03:56 AM
Love the detailed tiny chunkies on the second video! :bounce:

galagast
12 December 2008, 02:26 PM
I think i just wet myself after seeing the voronoi fragmentation.
Awesome!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PexElroy
12 December 2008, 06:05 PM
mir - great work with strong potential. The voronoi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram) fragmentation is what PIXAR (http://hereitbegins.blogspot.com/2007/01/pixars-cars-definitely-on-right-track.html) (in Cars, how McQueen got the roads damaged) and others may use for visual effects & breaking (walls, roads, bridges), a dependable 2D or 3D shape to use to add order in chaos; and these shapes will also complement themselves to adjacent neighbors.

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 06:31 PM
Cool, I didn't know that about Pixar. Now, that I think of it, it has another benefit - it produces all-convex fragments :D

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 06:49 PM
Hey guys check out my new shot:

http://cg.glacierise.com/animation/bar-be-gone.mov

Lots of Rayfire, much more then it's visible in the end product in fact.

dementol
12 December 2008, 02:36 AM
i can't get PhysX to work :banghead:

i have an 9600GT with the latest Drivers from Nvidia and im downloaded the PhysX engine what is posted here but i can't get it working.

and thinking particles with Physx not working too, anyone can help me?

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 06:57 AM
Are you trying to run it in 64bit? Physx only works in 32bit.

thomaskc
12 December 2008, 09:47 AM
@Glacierise

It works pretty well... a bit toonish in style and the waterdrain tube falls down a bit slow, but otherwise its really good. fumeFx smoke hiding away stuf works REALLY well aswell!

keep it up!

dementol
12 December 2008, 01:10 PM
ia, dumb me, i read that in the TP forums... and that's the problem... i tried in 32 bits and works fine

thanks!

thomaskc
12 December 2008, 11:39 PM
Hi everyone, just thought id share this small test, with the new voronoi fragmentation method. Its nothing out the ordinary but it works quite well however.

the plane is inactive at first and is pre-fragmented in like 150 pieces. the boxes and the small fragments of the plane are simulated along the calculation. a substep of "5" (default) was used. the plane has "glass" preset and the boxes "ice" preset for friction and elasticity.

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/rayfire_voronoi_simulated_fragmentation_render.mov

I rendered it with vray just to see if I could make the gi not flicker... I will let it be up to you guys to consider how succesfull that ended hehe.

hope you like it.

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 01:29 AM
That looks very nice, Voronoi fragmentation is more promising then I first thought! How's fragmentation times?

thomaskc
12 December 2008, 01:32 AM
If anything the fragmentation times are faster! so surely worth using.

PexElroy
12 December 2008, 01:35 AM
Voronoi is great, looks good :)

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 02:40 AM
Faster, that's great news! It also looks cooler, and produces convex, physx-friendly shapes... Looks cooler and cooler!

ACiD80
12 December 2008, 05:08 AM
is there any impact-based fracturing planned in the future?

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 09:01 AM
There already is an impact-based fracture :) It's called Rayfire Demolition.

ACiD80
12 December 2008, 09:41 AM
Yes but looking at the demonstration video it seems like it fractures the whole object gets fractured and completely falls into pieces.

What i mean is fracturing locally (only the area of impact with some falloff based on the strength of the impact). Is that possible?

thomaskc
12 December 2008, 12:26 PM
@CHRiTTeR

you are absolutely right, right now it does fragture the whole object, but based on impact. That is why i prefragturet the plane in my test a bit, so it could impact fragture as it hits the ground instead of everything becoming small fragtures at first hit.

But i guess Mirv would have to answer if its possible to make it use two different fragmentation values for impact. So that a box first will be fragmented by like 35 when it hits, and then the area hitting is refragmented with like 150.

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah what it does now is fracture based on impact point (not shown in the last video you saw), but it doesn't limit itself to a radius. I talked to Mir about that, and he took it into consideration :) For now, I use a sphere to cut off a piece, then fragment it.

plejboy
12 December 2008, 03:16 PM
Hey guys.
Just wanted to say congratulations and thanks to Mirv for making Rayfire. We just bought a copy for work (Mainframe.co.uk) a couple of days ago and its gonna help us tremendously in january.
Its an awesome plugin Mirv, keep up the great work.
Also nice to see a lot of familiar faces from the pflow thread. Not sure you guys remember me but i used to hang around there a lot. :)

i havent had to much time to play around with rayfire but I would like to ask a question about rayfire and fumefx.
How would you guys go about using fumefx as very fine dust between the cracking geometry.
ive been thinking about spawning particles in the cracks if the velocity changes by a certain speed. Havent had time to try it yet but thats the easiest setup i could think of a the moment. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also reading about local fracturing one feature I would like to see is % dials for biggest to smallest. so lets say a box hits the floor with 90% size i biggest value and 1% in the smallest it would fracture the object with one piece that is 90% of the original geometry and the rest of the fractured pieces scaling down to 1% of the original geometry to the impact point. if you set your fracture setting to 3 pieces it would give you one that is 90%, one that is 9% and one that is 1% of the original size.
Obviously I havent thought this one through completely since Ive only played with rayfire for about 2 hours but I thought it could be an idea worth sharing.

Anyways, great work Mirv and merry christmas to all of you.

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 03:30 PM
I guess that with the Voronoi fragmentation there will be a different set of controls possible. On your first question - What I routinely do is to make rayfire assign a certain mat ID on the new faces, then use PFlow or TP to spawn particles on that material ID, and spawining when particles are moving - either with spawn by distance travelled in PF or with a condition in TP.

PexElroy
12 December 2008, 06:03 PM
Voronoi will allow more control and options, but for the PhysX demolition to limit the fragmentation to a radius area, Mir may have to add some new tools and systems to the engine, so we could customize a cutoff point for the fragmentation.

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 10:50 AM
Hey, just came back from Moscow from CG seminar organized by RealTime School (http://www.realtime.ru/).

And here small rendered video demonstration of new Interactive Demoliion with Voronoi Fragmentation type. Simple scene, one metal box, one concrete column, and 3000 fragments at the end. :)

HD - 4MB
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF143_column_HD.mov
LQ - 1MB
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF143_column_LQ.mov

As You can see new fragmentation type gives very realistic and PhysX "friendly" result.
So, one of the main problem of previous versions: realistic fragmentation and crazy simulation or not realistic fragmentation and stable simulation SOLVED.
Now we can do the both. :bounce:

Glacierise
12 December 2008, 11:04 AM
I can watch this 100 times in a loop. 'Nuff said :)

Wicked
12 December 2008, 11:20 AM
Me too Hristo :)

[...]
So, one of the main problem of previous versions: realistic fragmentation and crazy simulation or not realistic fragmentation and stable simulation SOLVED.
Now we can do the both. :bounce:
First; very nice vid!

Second; what I see a lot in vids is that a object almost always gets 100% demolished. Is it possible to demolish, lets say, 50% of a object? Depending on the speed/mass of the impact object?

(Still haven't worked with Rayfire..)

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 11:25 AM
Well, for now only whole geometry can be demolished, but I already have few ideas how implement feature You asking. I guess it will be implemented in next minor or major build.

TwiiK
12 December 2008, 11:32 AM
Looks very nice, but the main issue I have with the realism of rayfire is how the secondary fractures happen. (I think I'm talking about fracture relative to object here)

Let's say I launch an object at a pillar of concrete at insane speeds. I would either chip off some small pieces, break the pillar in half or pulverize the pillar. But no matter how hard I launched the object the pillar would still be concrete and no secondary fractures would happen from the pieces of concrete falling to the floor.

If you look at the last example how some of the pillar break into almost dust, even from just falling tiny distances, while other pieces remain big isn't particularly realistic. It seems almost like it's random and not like the fracturing is based of the velocity the piece of debris is traveling.

Not sure if i'm explaining what I mean properly or if this is already possible in rayfire.

btw, If I install a 32-bit copy of max will I then be able to utilize physX or is it depending on the OS itself? I want to test these things. :p

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 11:51 AM
Hey, there is Demolition depth level property which defines depth of objects fragmentation.
In this demo I used value 2. This mean that after Impact red box break column on 50 fragments as I remember. And value 2 means that each fragment with proper collision force can be demolished again, and so on. There is one property which can limit further demolition in case object is too small, and later I will add another few.

PhysX works nice with 32 bit max. but which OS You use?

TwiiK
12 December 2008, 11:54 AM
64-bit. I thought that was implied. :)

Guess that's a no then seeing as you asked.

Vista btw, if that matters.

mir-vadim
12 December 2008, 11:57 AM
Oh, sorry. :)
PhysX plugin doesn't care which OS (32 or 64 bit) You use.
32 bit Max is all what it wants.

#Edited for new page:
Column demolition:
HD - 4MB
LQ - 1MB

TwiiK
12 December 2008, 12:07 PM
Great, guess I can test it out some myself later today then. :)

Do you have some specs for the pillar example? Simulation time, computer used for simulating, number of fragments?

Curious whether that is some of the more high end stuff you can get with a decent rig or just a quick test.

thomaskc
12 December 2008, 12:13 PM
@TwiiK

Well I can tell you that latest I posted with the voronoi and the older (sorry for posting it again)

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/camp_test_.mov

Was both done on my laptop 2,5ghz core2 duo, and the camp test has around 8300 objects after fragmentation. still it only takes minutes to calculate!

The voronoi test was a bit slower, but only because the fragmentations were done while calculating and that there were lots of objects.

But basicly its not heavy at all in that kind of scale atleast.

Jake0
12 December 2008, 01:50 PM
Hey guys!

Quick question about using pflow with rayfire fragments, I know after telling raying to add seperate material id's to the fragmented faces you can use pflow and position object with density by material to spawn particles from the "damage" faces, but I can only get it to cleanly work if the material applied to the damage faces is white, and the rest of the fragment is black. As I only want particles (debris) being spawning from the damage faces. It works, but how do you go about applying a texture to to the overal objects? As the density just changes due to the map.. I've got it work by simply using the above method, caching it, then changing the maps for render.. but just wondering if there's a better way?

JohnnyRandom
12 December 2008, 07:44 PM

#Edited for new page:
Column demolition:
HD - 4MB
LQ - 1MB

That Sh!t is beautiful!

PexElroy
12 December 2008, 09:21 PM
@ mir - very cool example :drool:

ArtiZta
12 December 2008, 04:27 PM

So, for now we still have to wait for PhysX support from Nvidia in 64Bit Max? Or I'm missing some plugins I have to install to use PhysX in RayFire with 64Bit Max?

Steve Green
12 December 2008, 04:39 PM
You can use Rayfire with 64-bit Max, but only using Reactor, not PhysX.

Until there's 64-bit PhysX support in general, that is.

- Steve

ArtiZta
12 December 2008, 05:44 PM
You can use Rayfire with 64-bit Max, but only using Reactor, not PhysX.

Until there's 64-bit PhysX support in general, that is.

- Steve

Yes, what I meant is the PhysX, strangely in this 64bit XP, physx is supported, it has the driver/software installed from nvidia. Running PhysX system software.

SoLiTuDe
12 December 2008, 12:04 AM
Physx works fine on 64-bit windows as a 32-bit application... meaning that while it will work on 64-bit windows, with other 32-bit applications, it won't work with a 64-bit application such as 3ds max 64, but will with 3ds max 32.

ArtiZta
01 January 2009, 08:22 AM
Physx works fine on 64-bit windows as a 32-bit application... meaning that while it will work on 64-bit windows, with other 32-bit applications, it won't work with a 64-bit application such as 3ds max 64, but will with 3ds max 32.

Yes, at the end had to use that workaround to run PhysX in 64Bit XP.
:)

ArtiZta
01 January 2009, 05:56 AM
I apologize, I made a post 2 minutes before I finally got the solution on my question... and can't erase it.

The question was about breaking through and object with animated object where the animated object is not effected by the dynamic simulation.

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 06:51 PM
Hey, guys.
New version will be released soon.
Finishing last tests atm.

And for now let me share some tests made by Brandon Riza.
Check it out, it is really great.
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RayFirePhysX_BrandonRiza.mov

fireknght2
01 January 2009, 07:00 PM
Man you are a Creative Machine, non stop improvements to an already great piece of software.
Keep up the good work...and Happy New Year!.

Fire

JohnnyRandom
01 January 2009, 07:43 PM
Hey, guys.
New version will be released soon.
Finishing last tests atm.

And for now let me share some tests made by Brandon Riza.
Check it out, it is really great.
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RayFirePhysX_BrandonRiza.mov

Impressive, and yes that was "a lot of sh!t" falling that is :D

mmoses00
01 January 2009, 08:04 PM
download is slow from San Francisco... anyway/anywhere to mirror your video samples?

Matt

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks Wicked.
And here is another demo from me.
Demonstration of Glass Interactive demolition using fast moving object.

http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF143_glass.mov (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF143_glass.mov)

Steve Green
01 January 2009, 11:23 PM
Officially mental.

- Steve

Wicked
01 January 2009, 12:45 AM
download is slow from San Francisco... anyway/anywhere to mirror your video samples?

Matt
Still downloading? :P

Mirror: www.wickedstuff.nl/rayfire/RayFirePhysX_BrandonRiza.mov (http://www.wickedstuff.nl/rayfire/RayFirePhysX_BrandonRiza.mov) (40MB)

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks Wicked.
And here is another demo from me.
Demonstration of Glass Interactive demolition using fast moving object.

http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF143_glass.mov (http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/rend/RF143_glass.mov)

JonathanFreisler
01 January 2009, 02:15 AM
mir, thats amazing man! Thanks brandon for showing some cool stuff as usual. Cant wait for the new version.

PexElroy
01 January 2009, 03:22 PM
great results, looking forward to the new release. ;)

thomaskc
01 January 2009, 04:32 PM
Hi guys, I just had some fun with a wind force (sphere) with negative value and a vortex force, so thought I would share and hope you like it

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/montana_pillars.mov (7,5mb)

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/montana_pillars_destroy_render.mov (20mb)

ArtiZta
01 January 2009, 06:05 PM
Can't wait for the new updates...
Mir, any release date news yet? concave mesh with physX is making some simulation difficulties... :(

PexElroy
01 January 2009, 10:14 PM
Thomas these are great renders, thanks!

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 11:36 PM
Ok, here we go.
RayFire Tool 1.43 just released. :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5603242#post5603242 (http://forums.cgsociety.org)

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah it's out! My first Voronoi tests look awesome, I'll definitely do something cool with that!

AlecS
01 January 2009, 05:37 AM
Hi Mir-

My version of Rayfire does not seem to allow for checking for updates. I've been using build 14104 for some time now. Missed 1.42 altogether. I'd really like to get the upgrade to 1.4.3. Can you help me with this?

Thanks much

Alec

PsychoSilence
01 January 2009, 06:39 AM
maybe a security setting of what ever your security suit/windows is?

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 11:13 AM
Automatic Update works for minor builds, like 1.41.1 or 1.41.2
All major builds like 1.42 or 1.43 You have to download and install manually.

plejboy
01 January 2009, 04:26 PM
143 is sweet! totally amazing...

An addition I would like to see on the "fragmentation in proggress" bar would be to be able to see on which piece its on. so you know how many peices its got left.

for example "itterations 5/7 total 2/10"
would be on the fifth itteration on the second piece..

Would that make sence?
Because when i work with a large scene i never know how long ive got left...

just a thought.

great update Mir!

PexElroy
01 January 2009, 06:53 PM
in 1.43 and will share tests soon; great upgrades Mir :twisted:

AlecS
01 January 2009, 04:38 AM
Hi Mir-

Feel like an idiot, but I can't seem to get ALL of 1.41 of Rayfire uninstalled to install 1.43. I say all, because I've run the uninstaller and it seems to do the trick but when I run MAX, I can still pull down the Rayfire tool in the objects rollout. When I launch it, all I get is the title bar of the floater (still saying 1.41) and some error messages about bit maps not being found.

Can the uninstaller miss something somewhere? I've run it from the Programs and Features control panel too. No luck. Odd. I really can't find any trace of RF in my Max 32 bit folder anywhere.

Thoughts?

Alec

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 12:22 PM
Did You move 1.41 RayFireTool.mse after installation?
It seems that You uninstalled all stuff except RayFireTool.mse.
And now max load it at launch and it show error becasue can't find all these images and other files.
Anyway, use search for "RayFireTool.mse" and for "RF_Shooting.mse".
Delete them when You will find them.
Then install 1.43.

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 01:11 PM
Here are some previews, I'm making a new reel opener :) Rayfire&TP:

http://cg.glacierise.com/animation/reel_opener_war_pt1.avi

http://cg.glacierise.com/animation/reel_opener_war_pt2.avi

Wicked
01 January 2009, 01:24 PM
Not Found

The requested URL /blog/animation/reel_opener_war_pt1.avi was not found on this server.

:surprised

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 01:40 PM
Sorry for that, the links are ok now.

Wicked
01 January 2009, 01:50 PM
Hahah nice! "Your demo made a crushing impression" :P
Little crit about the second vid: get rid of those last big chunks above the R and the first E. (Or make them smaller)

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 02:06 PM
Cool thing is that it's procedural, i can increase the bullet/fragment search radius so i can leave more intact, or break them off :) I will play more with it definitely.

PexElroy
01 January 2009, 04:49 PM
Basic wood fracture study; drunk farmer with grenade.

rf_143_09.mov (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_143_09.mov)

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 05:00 PM
Hahah now that's fun :D add some fume to it and it will rock! How did you do the wood - shapes?

thomaskc
01 January 2009, 05:05 PM
Heheh blow da' fence!! you should add a cow on the other side of it which also gets blown to bits :P

and yes, nice wood shapes.

thomaskc
01 January 2009, 06:46 PM
I just abused a fine model a collegue of mine have mad (the Lion statue).

Well I played around with a wind modifier with negative values, but changing them "on the fly" meaning that I changed that values while it was baking my animation, really funny results.

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/lion_wind_value_while_baking_1502objects.mov

and wow.. rayfire handles those 1502 objects pretty well ;)

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 07:37 PM
Nice wood explosion Robert, I like it. Tell us how You fragmented it in this way.

And here my 2 cents with negative spherical wind effect.
In version 1.43 I added Range support for wind.
You can use it turning On "Range Indicators" checkbox
and use "Icon size" spinner to define range.
Here simple preview,
http://www.mirvadim.com/videos/prev/RayFire_143_Wind.avi
In this scene I also deactivated Impact objects and checked On "Activate by force".
So, wind activated only objects in range.
Pretty interesting effect.

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 07:43 PM
It handles much more - I've frequently done tests with like 2-4 thousand objects - it's not that fast, but it's stable.

thomaskc
01 January 2009, 07:47 PM
Sounds great.. i stopped there only by lack of patience ;)

AlecS
01 January 2009, 10:04 PM
Did You move 1.41 RayFireTool.mse after installation?
It seems that You uninstalled all stuff except RayFireTool.mse.
And now max load it at launch and it show error becasue can't find all these images and other files.
Anyway, use search for "RayFireTool.mse" and for "RF_Shooting.mse".
Delete them when You will find them.
Then install 1.43.

Hi Mir-That's the problem. I have removed all of these things. There is no RayfireTool.mse in the plugin folder. That's why I don't understand that it's still coming up under my object panel. I can't find anything left of the RayFire plug anywhere. Something clearly has to be there however. I'm just not sure where. Is there another folder I should be looking at?

Thanks
Alec

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 10:55 PM
No, by default it should be in maxRoot\Plugins\RayFire Tool\ folder.
Just use Search, Alec, it will not take much time to find it.

PexElroy
01 January 2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks. hehe cow is a good idea ;)

made 3 thin long boxes and manually pre-fractured them one by one with Continuous type. Used a hint of noise and kept only long triangular shard bits, and kept cutting over and over until the bits were shard like. Then took large slivers and made them smaller. Then took the boxes and formed them together to make wood fence beams.

CapitanRed
01 January 2009, 06:00 AM
awesome new features Mir! thanks so much! :)

thomaskc
01 January 2009, 12:46 AM
thought id play a bit with some wood as well... ended up with this wierd test.

http://thomaskc.dk/wip/3dsmax/floor_force_push.mov

PexElroy
01 January 2009, 02:46 AM
Fluid study with RayFire, RealFlow, Krakatoa :)

rf_143_12.mov (http://www.areagrey.com/other/rf_143_12.mov)

@ thomas - great use of wind on the boards.

PsychoSilence
01 January 2009, 07:46 AM
great new tests! i really like tee wind one. very resident-evil-extinction-like (endfight) :D

the fence booom is awesome too! if u found something cool dont hesitate to show the way step by step how u got there with images :)

thomaskc
01 January 2009, 01:22 PM
How on earth do you control the rayfire physics, gravity and all when you want to use a worldscale that is "normalt" all my tests are made with generic and inches, which is far far from what i would use in any production.

when changing to millimeters everything goes boom, nothing stays still and things drop speed is very strange.

musashidan
01 January 2009, 08:50 PM
Just checking the vids on Mir's site and practically read this entire thread.I think it is absolutely amazing that a guy wrote an incredible plugin like this as his debut maxscript learning curve "script" I'm stunned.Mir,you are a fantastic guy.:bowdown:I'm delighted for you that your hard work and dedication has payed off.Best of luck with the future.:thumbsup:

Just a quick question though regarding Havok solver.How come inactive objects work in havoK 1 solver, but not havoK 3?

I'm on 64 Max so obviously i wouldn't be able to use physX(at the moment)

And as Havok 1 is so much slower than 3,the issue asked above would put me off.

thomaskc
01 January 2009, 08:58 PM
PhysX is so much better I would actually advice you to just use 32bit for your rayfire things rather than trying to fix havok.

musashidan
01 January 2009, 09:04 PM
PhysX is so much better I would actually advice you to just use 32bit for your rayfire things rather than trying to fix havok.

I have been using 64 for a while now and i don't think i could revert back to 32:scream: I have other plugins that are 64 and i have Max setup just the way i like it.i'm sure in the future when Nvidia get their 64PhysX s@@t together Mir will update RF in the usual 10 min or so that he seems to bring out updates!:applause::)

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 09:17 PM
Hi, musashidan, and thanks. :)

PhysX plugins works nice on 64 bit PC, but only with 32 bit Max, so I guess thomaskc meant that You can install Max 32 bit just to use PhysX plugon features. Not to revert to 32 bit totally.

And few words about havok solvers.
Yes, havok 3 solver is much faster the havok 1 solver. But, it works only with Rigid Bodies. And it doesn't support Inactive objects, I don't know why, probably because of bug.
Another problem is that it is impossible to change solvers via max script, so, if You want to create reactor simulatiom using RayFire and havok 3 solver, You have to change solver manually.

musashidan
01 January 2009, 10:02 PM
thanks for the reply Mir.I actually meant reverting from Max 64 to 32.not XP 64 to 32. Sorry for the misunderstanding.:)It's a pity Havok 3 was never really updated to compete with physX.

Glacierise
I can't understand what the big problem is with Physx only running in 32bit. It will be great if it ran in 64bit, of course, but what's the big deal in just having one more max open, it's not like it's gonna run out of memory so soon. Make your RBD, save, open in 64bit max, continue. Works fine for me :)

musashidan
01 January 2009, 10:32 PM
I can't understand what the big problem is with Physx only running in 32bit. It will be great if it ran in 64bit, of course, but what's the big deal in just having one more max open, it's not like it's gonna run out of memory so soon. Make your RBD, save, open in 64bit max, continue. Works fine for me :)

So in effect,i would be running the sim in 32,baking out the keyframes and just reopening the file in 64? Now there's a plan:)

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 10:38 PM
Yes, just sim, save, open, do anything, save, open back. 32 and 64 are totally compatible, just set them up the same way (interface, scripts, plugins) and you won't see any difference.

musashidan
01 January 2009, 10:41 PM
cheers hristo,i will definately do this as physX looks really nice on your tutorial vid.:thumbsup:

JonathanFreisler
01 January 2009, 11:08 PM
Yeh, you just run it in 32 bit. Then you can proceed to open it in 64 bit, you feel dirty opening max 32 bit, but its well worth it.

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 11:14 PM
And that 64 is ridiculously overhyped anyway! (joking, please don't swarm on me now)

musashidan
01 January 2009, 06:59 PM
I can't understand what the big problem is with Physx only running in 32bit. It will be great if it ran in 64bit, of course, but what's the big deal in just having one more max open, it's not like it's gonna run out of memory so soon. Make your RBD, save, open in 64bit max, continue. Works fine for me :)]

Hristo,one other thing i forgot to touch on was the fact that you mentioned that physX inactive objects could not inherit pre animated objects collision velocity.
so i would have to animate my objects and effectively fake the collision by starting the sim at the exact frame that the object makes contact with the prefractured inactive object.
If this is so,then i'm very disappointed.:( (unless of course there is a way around this) and judging by the excellence of this thread i'm sure there is:)

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 07:14 PM
Well, yes, for now this is impossible.
But I have one idea how to add such feature in next version.

musashidan
01 January 2009, 07:22 PM
Well, yes, for now this is impossible.
But I have one idea how to add such feature in next version.

I'm sure you've ideas to last the next 50 years:)

This would be well recieved i'm sure as the realism of the impact will suffer greatly without the ability to collide animated objects with inactive objects.Although would a bomb object linked to the animated object set to explode on the impact frame be a reasonable workaround?

P.S-just setup the above as a test and it works pretty well.

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 07:52 PM
The trick is to use the 'activation' options - activate by mouse, geometry, space warp. Look at this thread and the tutorials ;)

spoodge
01 January 2009, 10:27 AM
Firstly.....Wow what a plugin!! I'm playing with the demo and can't put it down :)

Quick question....how do i get hollow objects to work? ie....an egg breaking on impact.

Create sphere, stretch, add shell modifier, convert to poly.........but when i animate the impact, it breaks up as though a solid object.

thx

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 06:14 PM
For some reason ProBoolean unable to cut hollow objects preperly, it just doesn't recognoize inner surface. To fix this You should select 2 smallest faces, by one face on each surface and bridge them. So You will get one solid surface, after that You can fragment it.

Steve Green
01 January 2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Mir,

I noticed that nvidia have officially released a new version of PhysX - will installing this affect Rayfire at all? It doesn't mention 64-bit, so I'm guessing it's still 32-bit only.

Thanks,

Steve

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 09:42 PM
No, 64 bit SDK is not released yet. I guess it will be a bomb when it will be released, everyone will know about this :)

And I think installation of new version will not affect on RayFire anyhow.
This should be tested tho.

ddustin
"I guess it will be a bomb when it will be released"

Oh that's a great pun!

David

spoodge
01 January 2009, 11:34 PM
For some reason ProBoolean unable to cut hollow objects preperly, it just doesn't recognoize inner surface. To fix this You should select 2 smallest faces, by one face on each surface and bridge them. So You will get one solid surface, after that You can fragment it.

Thx.....works a treat

Xestion
01 January 2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/rehab/les_05_sheet_half.png

If you for some reason cant see the image, have a look at this link: http://www.mainframe.co.uk/rehab/les_05_sheet_half.png

This is a project me and plejboy here on the forums been workin on. this is just one of the shots, we have done 12 shots on our tight deadline of two weeks! More to come :)

Theres a total of 4 different persons ala 6shots each were doing. 12 more shots to do in about a week, no problem :cry:

PsychoSilence
01 January 2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/rehab/les_05_sheet_half.png

If you for some reason cant see the image, have a look at this link: http://www.mainframe.co.uk/rehab/les_05_sheet_half.png

This is a project me and plejboy here on the forums been workin on. this is just one of the shots, we have done 12 shots on our tight deadline of two weeks! More to come :)

Theres a total of 4 different persons ala 6shots each were doing. 12 more shots to do in about a week, no problem :cry:

that´s an awesome render! cant wait to see it in motion! can we post it at www.mirvadim.com maybe when the project is finished and on air?

anselm

plejboy
01 January 2009, 01:29 AM
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/rehab/les_06_sheet_half.png

Hey dudes!
thought I would post another image from the Rehab project we are working on here at www.mainframe.co.uk (http://www.mainframe.co.uk) .
Rayfire has been ace! Only had a day to learn it but its so straight forward anyone could do it.. Me and Jimmy(Xestion) have been working quite hard to get these 4 30sec promos done in time. Still got 2 of them to do in a week! :)

@psychoSilence.
Yeah man, that could be cool. Just gonna finish the project first! :)
we are gonna put toghether a little movie with breakdowns and all that stuff.

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 02:09 AM
Great job plejboy. :beer:
Can wait to see this in motion either. :)

PsychoSilence
01 January 2009, 11:23 PM
Rayfire has been ace! Only had a day to learn it but its so straight forward anyone could do it.. Me and Jimmy(Xestion) have been working quite hard to get these 4 30sec promos done in time.

that´s worth a testimonial on www.mirvadim.com ;) please mail that to mir if u can find the time/project is over! thanks in advance.

checked out ur website every once in a while when i was a freelancer. always wanted to work there and at relatime:uk :D

kind regards,
anselm

plejboy
01 January 2009, 12:10 AM
that´s worth a testimonial on www.mirvadim.com ;) please mail that to mir if u can find the time/project is over! thanks in advance.

checked out ur website every once in a while when i was a freelancer. always wanted to work there and at relatime:uk :D

@PsychoSilence, Dude you should have dropped me a line. Congrats to the Frantic Film job btw. Must be tons of fun.

@Mir , Ill drop you a mail with some stuff after the project is finished if you like.

PexElroy
01 January 2009, 08:34 PM
@ plejboy - great images and cool ideas for animation here - awesome and inspiring :cool: A break down of how you used RayFire would be cool

depleteD
01 January 2009, 01:17 AM
Top Notch man. yea rayfire is a hell of a tool. Great little image you mainframe cats put up.

Xestion
01 January 2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.mainframe.co.uk/rehab/cassie_05_sheet_half.png

Heres another one! Video of this shot will be posted in a few hours. There is quite big of a error in this one thou, can you find it? And yes, that will of course be fixed : )

And if you guys didnt know, and I guess you dont, all the explosions are reversed as if all the pieces are going back together assembling the person in each scene.

Xestion
01 January 2009, 08:28 PM
Sorry about the delay, we kind of redid les shot 6 so heres the wip on that one. Didnt manage to embed it so heres the link

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2910913

plejboy
01 January 2009, 08:43 PM
get back to work Jimmy!

depleteD
01 January 2009, 09:06 PM
That was freaking cool. Add a fume pass

dellis
01 January 2009, 09:13 PM
That was wicked.....great job so far boys!

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 09:30 PM
Wow, amazing. :)
I will be glad to post this on my video page.

P.S. Waiting for other two shots. :D

plejboy
01 January 2009, 09:50 PM
Cheers buddies!

we are still finishing the other 23 shots and waiting for amends from the client at this point.
Deathline on monday so this weekend might hurt a bit. :)
(Dont worry jimmy, Ill get the beer)

@deleteP
we had about a day to do R&D on this project and I havnt had time to touch fumefx yet. :(
I mean, we were planning to use it but in the end we HAD to settle for a normal pflow pass...
next time :)

@mir-vadim
Cheers! After the project is done I'll get you a good presentationmovie for your site if you want.

PsychoSilence
01 January 2009, 09:59 PM
Cheers buddies!

we are still finishing the other 23 shots and waiting for amends from the client at this point.
Deathline on monday so this weekend might hurt a bit. :)
(Dont worry jimmy, Ill get the beer)

@deleteP
we had about a day to do R&D on this project and I havnt had time to touch fumefx yet. :(
I mean, we were planning to use it but in the end we HAD to settle for a normal pflow pass...
next time :)

@mir-vadim
Cheers! After the project is done I'll get you a good presentationmovie for your site if you want.

would be awesome to have on the website indeed!!! keep em coming guys! Siggi is soooo soon ;)

theotheo
01 January 2009, 10:19 PM
yeah Jimmy, back to work :)

Xestion
01 January 2009, 09:51 AM
yeah Jimmy, back to work :)

oh theo, i still want that margarita

Matt^
01 January 2009, 04:44 PM
Looking great there. Can't wait to see it with dust/smoke!

Quick question, how did you project the plate footage onto the geometry, without the mapping remaining "screened"? (the objects passing through the projection).
As it seems to with camera mapping, both per-pixel or modifier.

plejboy
01 January 2009, 04:53 PM
there are a couple ways of doing it but basicly what you wanna do is use the camera project modifier and then delete the history (collapse to edit poly) before breaking it. Doing that bakes the uvs onto the mesh and the texture stays on the mesh.
Did the same on this one:
http://www.vimeo.com/1320583
but this was all done in particle flow.

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 03:43 AM
Here's one thing with the new Rayfire, TP, Fumefx etc:

http://cg.glacierise.com/animation/reel_opener_war_final_medium.mov

Here's the youtube preview, remember to watch it in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYk_v17rIBQ

Enjoy ;)

JohnnyRandom
01 January 2009, 05:23 PM
^ dude, sweeeet! nice reveal;) brightening up the scene helped see some of the finer details you did too, nice work:thumbsup:

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks man, I prefer an overally dark, contrasty look these days, it's just me :D

JohnnyRandom
01 January 2009, 05:55 PM
It seemed to me that you brightened it up a little, I guess it could have been the stupid quicktime browser gamma issue...

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah most probably. That's the stupidest thing ever, to screw with the gamma like that. Please download and watch, don't open it in the browser.

floopyb
01 January 2009, 11:44 PM
Is it possible to have nested groups for demolision? Im trying to do some marble columns collapsing and want, say, 5 cylinders stacked on top of each other in a group to make the column and each of these cylinders is prefractured and grouped together as well. This dosent seem to work. I have tried not having the cylinders prefractured and haveing demolish geometry on as well as demolish groups but they dont seem to play well together. Any solutions?

CapitanRed
01 January 2009, 12:29 AM
why not using TP? ;)

mir-vadim
01 January 2009, 01:11 AM
Hi, floopyb.
Sorry, but nested groups not supported yet.

floopyb
01 January 2009, 01:53 AM
Hi, floopyb.
Sorry, but nested groups not supported yet.

Will this be added to rayfire at all?
Another soultion would be to fracture the object into elements on demolition if there is more than one element, else just use the fracture system.
Although it would be better in production to be able to prefracture and nest groups for multiple levels of demolition.

floopyb
01 January 2009, 03:28 AM
why not using TP? ;)
We dont have TP :(

CapitanRed
01 January 2009, 03:37 AM
oh..sorry...I tought I saw your profile image on the cgfluids forum.
Isn't there a method to have a fragmentation on inpact or on collision in rayfire?
That's what you want, isn't it? first having the cylinder parts colliding with each other, and then some of them breaking and having the collisions between the frags and the not fragged cylinders?

floopyb
01 January 2009, 04:11 AM
oh..sorry...I tought I saw your profile image on the cgfluids forum.

Yes, thats me, but only in the FumeFX forums :)

Isn't there a method to have a fragmentation on inpact or on collision in rayfire?
That's what you want, isn't it? first having the cylinder parts colliding with each other, and then some of them breaking and having the collisions between the frags and the not fragged cylinders?
Im using that but I want the cylinders to stay together initially like they are stuck together then break into the individual cylinders, then smash into fragments. So break the whole column group in to cylinders, then on the 2nd impact break the cylinders into fragments.

floopyb
01 January 2009, 06:23 AM
Just another note on groups, Can you only have one group in the sim? I tried using 2 groups of cylinders as two columns but get this error in the maxscript listener:
Unable to add Group02 as an actor, it is not correctly specified.
Unable to add Group03 as an actor, it is not correctly specified.
Unable to take snapshot of inodes TM states
The sim starts but the groups are not part of it!

plejboy
01 January 2009, 10:24 AM
a little writeup on rayfire (and our project)...
Here (http://www.cgw.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=A4E61D85E90D4A04BDD2B0F29CC72A6D)

More to come.

Glacierise
01 January 2009, 11:02 AM
That looks awesome, post up soon dude!

spoodge
01 January 2009, 09:47 AM
@ mir...I just played with the demo's of maya and blastcode....the only thing that stood out to me was the option to load an alpha map / pattern, of the fragmentation. Do you have any plans to integrate this into rayfire ? It would be cool if I could fragment an object exactly as I imagine it. I can't seem to get good results with the "draw fragment" mode......maybe my bad.

TwiiK
01 January 2009, 09:52 AM
I think Mir already showcased that functionality a few pages back.