View Full Version : Sera Avenger 3D, Concept: Scott Fischer

01 January 2007, 05:17 AM
Concept artist: Scott Fischer (awesome artist, check his stuff out)
3D Artist: Simon Labreche.

Here's another character I did in school. It's based off Sera Avenger, a Magic the gathering artwork.

C&C very welcome

Polycount: 12 000 triangles (quite high)
Textures: Normal,Diff,Spec x 2 (skin/armor)

thanks to Richard Naoum for helping on the pose

01 January 2007, 05:28 AM
How many white lands do you have to tap in order to summon her?

Seriously tho, this is awesome. :applause: No crits from me. Can we take a look at the wires?

01 January 2007, 05:30 AM
Looks fantastic dude. Really like the wings and, well, all the rest of the model :P

Can we see some wires (and maybe flats)?

01 January 2007, 05:33 AM
Something I didn't notice on my first look, but I really like the painterly textures on the wings.

01 January 2007, 02:04 PM
Here's the wireframe

and flats: (now you can see its not well optimized :P )

01 January 2007, 04:41 PM
Very impressive! :applause:

01 January 2007, 07:20 AM
Looks good, but....

It looks about 6k not 12k, but thats not whats killing it for me. The textures are whats really killing it. Your unwrapping hurts it the most, the whole model could fit on one of those textures. The other thing is the diffuse texture is lacking any real detail, as of now its basicly a color map. It would be well worth your time to think about reunwrapping everything on to a 1024x for the body and a 512x for the head/hair.

01 January 2007, 08:08 AM
Looks great but the poly count could be lowered. I agree with TheGodZero, the unwrapping needs work too. Without looking at the unwrapping and polycount I would say this is great, but they need some fixing. Keep it up :) keep us posted

01 January 2007, 08:08 AM
I agree the unwrapping is horrible. As for the end result it is pretty damn good. But still You could lower the polys still and increase the texture space a lot. And you would still get better results. The poly issue is small compared to the texture space imo.

Looks cool though.

01 January 2007, 08:26 AM
thx for the feedback.
I admit it could be optimized so that I use all the space for both texture just by scaling the UVs and packing the UVs better. I made two separate texture (skin/hair , armor) for a good reason, it allows to set different materials to each textures sheets.. but still, I really know this could be optimized and I know this is not an example to follow for texturing. I guess I worked the normals more.

Ill rework the packing and textures so I can update this to a real in game character.

01 January 2007, 08:56 AM
Well then you should think about making then a 512x or a 256x for the wing textures so that they can be alpha and diffuse only.

I really do think reunwrapping the body would be a good idea. The way you unwrapped parts of the body were unneeded and only make it harder to texture. Take a look at a few of my older textures, might help you some with yours.
This one the cape is its own texture for the same reason as your wings.

01 January 2007, 05:03 PM
that's some great texture work. I like it. I texture with ZappLink so it makes it really easy to paint the model. Or I use the normals as a reference to see where im painting.

As for the wings, their are actually on a different texture, it was just pasted on one of my sheets. Well I might rework the textures from scratch, then retweak the skinning and make a couple of poses for fun. you guys gave me the motivation to do it :). It would be even better with some animation on it.

01 January 2007, 02:53 AM
How many white lands do you have to tap in order to summon her?

I'd tap her white lands.


anyway. is there a reason the poly count is so high? was there are particular engine this is intended for (even just idealistically)?

01 January 2007, 06:56 PM
peddy: this model was for my portfolio so I guess its just a show-off kinda thing where specs doesnt matter as much as a model I would have made for an engine. The main reason there is so much triangles is that I push a turbosmooth on the hair :) without that turbosmooth it would be around 8k. I also added a lot of subdivision to the overall model so that the silouette doesnt look edgy.

This model was mainly done for beauty shots. If it was for an engine, I would have proceded differently.

Thanks for pointing that out, if I were you guys I'd ask the same questions :)


CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2007, 06:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.