View Full Version : XSI V6 FBX Plugin?!

LemonNado
01 January 2007, 02:07 PM
I can only find a XSI 4.2 FBX V6.x plugin. But none for XSI V6. Not a biggie as i can use V4.2 to translate. But switching Apps is a PITA. Is there a FBX importer/exporter for V6?. The real problem is the export right now as the scene files from V6 cannot be read by 4.2... It's a little mess.
Rainer

Sbowling
01 January 2007, 06:18 AM
Have you tried the 4.2 plugin in v6? I'm pretty sure it worked in v5. Give it a shot.

LemonNado
01 January 2007, 01:48 PM
Have you tried the 4.2 plugin in v6? I'm pretty sure it worked in v5. Give it a shot.
The reason I posted is that it does not work. XSI V6 does not load it.
Rainer

sciics
01 January 2007, 12:43 PM
Add one more soul in search of .FBX importer/exporter for XSI6

LemonNado
01 January 2007, 12:12 AM
I got mine after contacting support at softimage. It's a recompiled version of the 5.11 im/exporter for FBX 6.x. I am not sure if I can forward the .DLL so I recommend you contact them. Afaik they are about to release it once they have a minute to wrap it into a package.
Cheers
Rainer

sciics
01 January 2007, 05:23 AM
Nice tip. i got mine from softimage too..

hopefully this should be part of the package in the next version....(update)

LemonNado
01 January 2007, 01:27 PM
It doesn't do what I expected it to do. All it does correctly is transport geometry. Texture and animation import (besides .bvh) is 'challenging'. From all the apps I have on my desktop, XSI is by far the worst importing anything else than plain geometry. And it seems that it has not changed with V6.
Rainer

sciics
01 January 2007, 06:16 AM
yep.. i figured as much... it sure does everything alright but no cigar...

LemonNado
01 January 2007, 06:33 PM
This works if you can loop your stuff through Silo.
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=28482;start=21

And this works GREAT with .OBJ's!!! Thanks to Tony for pointing it out...

http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html

Both do not only import the geometry but also materials and textures as far as feasible.

Cheers
Rainer

BlackjackPortugal
01 January 2007, 02:59 AM
I've got the dll also from softimage suport, and so far it works well, but havent tryed to export animations with it...
i noticed some diferent results when changing the export path...i'm exporting to custom made 3d engine, so when i export to c:\ it doesnt export correctly, with missing textures errors, but if the export path is to softimage/dotXsi/ it works good. maybe coincidence, or something related to our 3d engine. but it's working perfectly with uv's so far at least, and material info.

LemonNado
01 January 2007, 03:52 AM
I temporarely gave up on the .fbx export as I don;t have the time to debug and to diagnose where my problems are coming from. But I tried to export a few simple scenes (plane plus cylinder kind of 'complexity') to my game engine and that yields only garbage results. The same setup exported by C4D was read without a problem. Reading the xsi.fbx file in C4D also resulted in the same garbage as it did when I tried to read that with the game engine.

Would be nice to hear from someone who uses it with success. I am more than happy to find an error or lack of knowledge on my side... Easily eliminated.

Rainer

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2007, 03:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.