View Full Version : Musicvideo WIP
01 January 2007, 01:02 PM
I'm making my next musicvideo and felt I'd need some help this time.
I'm using 3dsmax 7 and Combustion 4.
The animatic is pretty finished, with cuts an so on... it's just a little test you can check it out here (20 MB divx .avi (right click to download) (http://gauntlet.unixag-zw.fh-kl.de/%7Ealle0002/animatic_02_small.avi)
this is somewhat near to the final look that I'm aiming for... http://www.alexanderlehmann.net/temp/concussion_test1.jpg
though I wanted the background to be alot less saturated and the glowing an color of the jumping things more extreme.
I'm still thinking about the cutting at the middle when the animated font pops up.
Can't wait for critics and comments...
01 January 2007, 05:43 PM
This may be due to the differences between our machines, but it looks like you have tried to beat-match some of the anim, but the pace of the animation lags a bit behind the pace of the music. This is something you can probably fix in post (or as mentioned, may be simply be a latency error if you did beat-match it).
Near the end, in the rail yard, a few of the 'bar hops' are very flat. The high, arching bar hops look better than the flat ones IHMO.
As a sugestion, to make the bar seem more organic and lively, you might consider a "slinky" like effect where the length of the bar is not fixed but changes slightly. Then beat match both the head and tail of the bar. :)
01 January 2007, 08:50 PM
thank you for your suggestions.
No it's not a problem with latency... I just didn't beat match it... I'll try to do it in post... doing this in max would be one hell of a workload...
Do you mean that hops that go higher into the air and are curvier look better? That's interesting... I'll try that out!
I'll think about making it stretchable... it's a good Idea! I should probably vary the lenght throughout the whole animation to fit it into each situation.
I'm still having problems with particle flow though, the raytrace shadows are not rendering with mental ray:
I hope I don't have to switch...
01 January 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm still on it.
But I had some really big problems with scanline and mental ray...
mixed them within some sequences and everything was rendered and finished... but when I tried to do the comp in combustion it crashed after rendering a few frames...
It seems that combustion isnt really HD ready (used 1280HDTV res)
so now I'm rerendering everything in a smaller res (PAL) and with vray (alot less problems -since it supports visibility from 0 to 100 percent and is alot faster with the raytraced shadows) gonna post some more screentests soon...
01 January 2007, 11:50 PM
I know what you mean. My AVID is struggling with 1280HD as well.
I look forward to your shots.
01 January 2007, 10:50 AM
yeah... it's the curse of cg - always struggling with hardware and software.
Anyway... so I rerendered everything in PAL and tried it in combustion again... but still it crashed. Then I went crazy... reinstalled Combustion, tried to render it after every update and patch, but it still didn't work... so I disabled RPF Motion blur... still crashed - then I tried to render without the glow modificator... voila - perfect!
So I tried to set up the comp without the glow modifier... via keying etc - looks atleast as cool and DOESN'T Crash... so now It's finished... going to show some more pics and short tests soon (don't have internet connection at home)
So now I'm going to rerender in HD and will have it finished in both resolution soon - hopefully
thanks again for your support.
01 January 2007, 01:48 PM
Ok here are some more shots of my progress... it's completely rendered now
I think the glow is still too heavy... it's kind of OK if you see the animation, but still it hides too much of the actual scene.
So I'll lower the effect a bit and change the colors to a more realistic sheme.
Also I found out that the RPF Motionblur in combustion is unable to "see" masked out textures... On the last screenshot you can see he's motion blurring everything which is behind the cables as if it's as close to the cameras as the cables... hmmm dunno how I can get rid of that...
deadline is next thursday (it's a project for my study)
still... if you have feedback, let me know :)
I'm now going to finalize it.
01 January 2007, 07:04 PM
Looks great. The only thing I can suggest with the glow issue you mentioned is to make it semi-transparent. The blurring issue, I can not help you with, I do not have combustion :sad: (yet ;)).
Other than that, I look forward to the vid. :)
01 January 2007, 07:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.