XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : L-Systems

02-18-2003, 01:37 AM
I'm wondering if anyone out there might be able to point towards some references for working with L-Systems in Houdini.

i have gone through the tutorial that comes with Apprentice, but looking for more. I am specifically interested in trying to create seashell shapes / structures.

have been looking into Fibonacci sequence, etc, but not having much luck translating it over to something that Houdini can read.

02-18-2003, 05:12 AM
I think this will help you...

This is from the Houdini mailing list...

The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants
(The Virtual Laboratory)
by Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz
ISBN: 0387972978 (New York : alk. paper)
ISBN: 3540972978 (Berlin : alk. paper)
Publisher: New York : Springer-Verlag, c1990
CALL NUMBER: QK731 .P94 1990

The algorithmic beauty of sea shells
by Hans Meinhardt
with contributions and images by Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz and Deborah R.
ISBN: 3540639195 (hardcover)
Publisher: New York : Springer, c1998
CALL NUMBER: QL403 .M49 1998

The Algorithmic Beauty of Seaweeds, Sponges and Corals
by Jaap A. Kaandorp, Janet E. Kubler

Lindenmayer systems, fractals, and plants
by Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz, James Hanan
with contributions by A. Lindenmayer, F.D. Fracchia, K. Krithivasan.
ISBN: 0387970924 (U.S.)
Publisher: New York : Springer-Verlag, c1989
CALL NUMBER: QH491 .P78 1989
Re: Books for technical directors/shader writer
Wed, October 16, 2002 - 12:33:04 [Posted by Garman Herigstad (Bell)]

Houdinis mailing list archives on Sidefx's Houdini Community site Is an invaluble resource for houdini knowledge, the archives go back years and years and years. If you have a question, odds are its been asked and answered before there... :surprised

02-18-2003, 05:40 AM
thanks a bunch, man! just got myself signed up for the list. will peruse the archives tomorrow.

02-18-2003, 06:00 AM
Have you gone through the LSystems chapter in the Tutorial and User Guide yet?

03-03-2003, 06:45 AM
dantea - yes. I have gone through the tutorial. have been playing with l-systems for a few weeks now, not getting very far (at least not in a productive way)... have come up with lots of cool looking systems, but nothing specific as yet.

as far as the shells, the closest that I have come so far has been using the 3D Log Spiral from the "expressions cookbook", and trying to copy curves onto the points of the spiral, scale them by $PT, so they get smaller towards the top... and then skin them - problem is that they wont rotate properly. I havent been able to figure out how to get them to all aim towards the center...

03-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Try making sure that your normals as pointing the right way before doing the copy. Insert a point sop, add normal, set the normal to $TX, $TY, $TZ

03-03-2003, 07:05 PM
thanks dantea... I'lll be trying that next.

as for the log-spiral technique that I have been working on, here's an example out the outcome so far.

needs work.

more soon.

03-04-2003, 03:58 AM
one more render... this one is more of a snail-shell. no shaders added yet. still trying to figure out how to complete the sides/ends of the shell, where it closes on itself. :wip:
houdini rocks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.