View Full Version : modelling dvd player - subpatch how

Perambulator
02 February 2003, 10:46 PM
Hi. I am trying to model an alba dvd 108 player using subpatches.

Attached is mesh. I am struggling with the button on the left. It's meant to be circular, but is more oval. I did this by joining a flat ball to the front and then welding points.

Is it simply a case of not having enough polys, or am I doing something stupid?

Thanks in advance. Rich

Rabid pitbull
02 February 2003, 11:08 PM
maybe tweak the sub patch weight values. i would personally not sub divide that button. instead would just make seperate object. but you should be able to adjust the weights for the look your after.

Fasty
02 February 2003, 03:27 AM
just a question... why are you using subpatches?

shade
02 February 2003, 05:48 AM
Have to agree that I wouldn't do dvd-player with subpatches (either?). Maybe bevelling necessary edges and then maybe using smoothing angle. When using subp. that object might get quite heavy. But if you wanna continue, then I suggests adjusting subpatchweight values.

wgreenlee1
02 February 2003, 06:03 AM
If youre having probs with the design of the dvd player you might look into splines instead of sub~patching.With mechanial things it might be better.Then if you like the design you can always sub~patch later at level one(1) and then render with higher geometry settings in the Item Properties panel.Just my two cents worth.

Perambulator
02 February 2003, 09:16 AM
Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I was using sub-patches because I've seen other mechanical devices done this way. I'm thinking particularly of the pda thing that was done by the guy that does great cars. I can't remember his name though.

I did think of doing it with multiple objects and booleans, but seemed like a bit of a cheat.

I did also try splines, but couldn't figure out how to join the flat front to the circular button indent.

Gonna keep trying though.

Rich

yog
02 February 2003, 09:48 AM
First off I would worry that you have too many subdivisions, the few sub-D's the smoother the model.

The button definately has too many sub-divisions. try making it from just 4 polygons, making sure the outer points make a rough circle in their rough state before hitting the TAB key.

Best of luck.

Perambulator
02 February 2003, 12:10 AM
Okay, been trying it with splines now. Not really getting a lot further. Some of my splines patch okay. Others nope.

Help!!!!! ;-)

Chaz
02 February 2003, 12:57 AM
Maybe you should give polys a whirl. DVD players have a lot of flat surfaces and precise curves. Subpatches are a little hard to control in that respect.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.