View Full Version : Mental ray Shadow Maps maya 8 wierd!!

Hans-CC
12 December 2006, 07:16 PM
Hi , i dont think this is normal but when i activate the mr shadow map and tweek the settings in one spotligth all my spots in the scene uses the same values if i go and change one the other ones has the same values , is there any way to correct this ?

Thanks

Hans

ftaswin
12 December 2006, 10:12 PM
sounds like you have many instanced spotlights. Watch your duplicate settings

Hans-CC
12 December 2006, 11:45 PM
sounds like you have many instanced spotlights. Watch your duplicate settings

no at all i have manually created each one !! but the result is allways the same!!
the strange thing is that only happens in the mr shadow map settings.

thanks

Riccardo
12 December 2006, 08:17 PM
that's true!

I'm just experiencing the same problem! I open maya, I setup a spotlight with shadowmaps for MR, then another light, and whenever i tweak the settings the othar light share the same settings!!!

And moreover, if i make another scene and create a light with shadowmaps, it get the settings from the previous maya session, and even if i change them in the attribute editor, the render doesn't change, it even doesn't render any shadow!!!

Hans-CC
12 December 2006, 05:17 AM
that's true!

I'm just experiencing the same problem! I open maya, I setup a spotlight with shadowmaps for MR, then another light, and whenever i tweak the settings the othar light share the same settings!!!

And moreover, if i make another scene and create a light with shadowmaps, it get the settings from the previous maya session, and even if i change them in the attribute editor, the render doesn't change, it even doesn't render any shadow!!!

yea i cant do anything with it ,its always the same problem , probably some bug like the area ligth one ,but its really annoying!!!

Hans

Ash-Man
12 December 2006, 06:58 PM
one thing I noticed though.

you can use Maya settings to trasfer it to mr shadow settings
not really the best solution...but might just do the job

magsnus
12 December 2006, 04:51 AM
use mel commands to set the attributes and it works, for example:

string $allObj[] = `ls -sl`;
for ($obj in $allObj){
setAttr ($obj + ".smapResolution") 512;
setAttr ($obj + ".smapSamples") 1;
setAttr ($obj + ".smapSoftness") 0.01;
}

CGTalk Moderation
12 December 2006, 04:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.