View Full Version : Do Penguins fly?

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 01:31 PM
Hello everybody, here is a funny animation about penguins
It is Called "Do Penguins fly?" and was directed by Alban Lelievre.
We really had a lot of fun making it and
we Hope you will enjoy it too!
Thanks for viewing ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnlCz1P95WM

http://ragwai.free.fr/DATA/Pinguins_A.jpg

http://ragwai.free.fr/DATA/Pinguins_B.jpg

SamBe
12 December 2006, 03:43 PM
I've seen it yet, it's a very funny and great job!

Maybe put one or two screenshots in your post...

BRAVO:thumbsup:

Womball
12 December 2006, 05:30 PM
Fantastic work! Hilarious too. 5 stars!

Batchem
12 December 2006, 03:14 AM
I have seen this too and thought it was wonderfully done!

Batchem

Ginseng
12 December 2006, 05:32 AM
Great job! Myself and classmates are currently working on a group film so we all understand the hard work involved in making a 2 min short. You short film is simple, speaks the motivation well, plus it has very expressive animation. Hats off to you and your friends, you guys did wonderfully on this.

The flying whale was a nice touch.

shy-guy
12 December 2006, 05:40 AM
woa men, nice, really great work; i don´t know why when i saw the title i thought this was gonna be a copycat to the "Kiwi" animation :blush: I was gonna start some flame here.

Very cool and funny story, reminded me a little bit to the dancing frog cartoon of looney toons. Congrats :).

Btw, how did you managed to get so nice quality in youtube? Almost all the videos i´ve seen there, specially cg ones, look like crap.

ivanisavich
12 December 2006, 05:58 AM
Now [i]that[i] was some beautiful animation!!!

Was a pleasure to watch! Great job!

Peter Chen
12 December 2006, 06:12 AM
I really like the snappiness of the animation. The style is very neat and everything is well integrated. Great work!

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 06:41 AM
Thank you all for your compliments it really make us happy!
We are a new 3d crew since 3 months and it is very promising for the continuation.
If you like this animation we hope that you will like our next one too, there will be a new post very soon ;)

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 06:49 AM
Thank you all for your compliments it make us really happy.
We are a new 3D crew since only 4 months and it is very promising for us.
We hope that you will like our next animation it will be post very soon on the forum.
;)

liquidik
12 December 2006, 09:32 AM
Great work man! I really enjoyed the film!

Gian

BartokDesign
12 December 2006, 06:12 PM
I want to download a quicktime of that, great style.
:bounce:

disrupt
12 December 2006, 07:18 PM
Yes it was beautiful to watch, I think the style of the motion was really fun. I like the creativeness of your timing and spacing. I just wish I could download a quicktime of it so I could frame by frame it! A pleasure to watch in my opinion.:thumbsup:

maantas
12 December 2006, 07:59 PM
wow, very very nice. crazy story, very cool :)
one thing i didn't liked is that his (the photographers) arms sometimes look a bit flat, in some shots...
anyways that's not a big deal, and anyways its cool cool cool:)

Fraenk
12 December 2006, 10:26 PM
hey guys! good job and great moving pictures! snappy and to the point! BUT ... in my opinion the stetchNsquash is sometimes too strong. it gives the character a gummy-look. but maybe you want that and in this case it's working.

greez fränk

Snowstorm
12 December 2006, 05:49 AM
Awesome :) Like the other guy I came in here thinking of Kiwi, but got almost the complete opposite :P

Atmosphere was very good, animation worked well. I didnt mind the stretch and squash - it looked like it fit well with the entire theme.

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 09:26 PM
Thank you all! Our name is "Planktoon" and we have others projects in production. their will be online very soon.;)

deebster
12 December 2006, 11:52 PM
lol. that was funny. I sent it to all my friends on myspace.

3dcga
12 December 2006, 01:48 AM
Very funny short!!! Not to mention the great snappy animation style you got going there. Reminds me that I got a LOT to learn :p

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 11:31 PM
The animator's name is Fabrice Senia and he thanks you for all your compliments!!

Pinyin
12 December 2006, 02:25 AM
It's simple.it's performing fluntly,it's FUN!
I LOVE THOSE
penguins !Great work!:bounce:

Ngon
12 December 2006, 05:57 AM
is it possible for you to just give an overview of the way u did the clouds/sea/snow?
would love to know how it came out.

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 06:31 AM
Of course! I will make you a small making of! it's a very simple compositing with a mate behind and a fluid ocean pass. I ll do it this weekend.

mediaramas
12 December 2006, 07:11 AM
amazing! I love the characters, colors and their perfomance

also the end with the flying whale!!

cheers!
matias

arcovoltaire
12 December 2006, 10:17 AM
Very good, As soon as see the first scene, I liked so much, of the beginning to the end this very good film. E is very funny, congratulations! How you make to great quality in youtube?

Pumar
12 December 2006, 11:58 AM
Really nice animation...

Story was funny and really entertaining, look was nice, suited the cartoon style that you went for.

Really enjoyable to watch

PureMoxi
12 December 2006, 03:18 PM
Nice stuff!! The animation was simple, cool and effective. The look of it is tasty as well. Congrats...

jigu
12 December 2006, 04:27 PM
Great work! i enjoyed a lot.:thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
12 December 2006, 04:33 PM
Nice Work guys! Animation is great (fabStyle) Rendering is sweet too(sunSebVinceWillStyle)! Gratz :thumbsup:

ffourier
12 December 2006, 05:26 PM
héhé funny work guys. The rendering is really nice, good animation too. I like the variations time, well done.

Très sympathique tout ca :)

Ngon
12 December 2006, 06:38 AM
thanks..appreciated...waiting :)

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 10:54 PM
Penguins seems to be a universal theme
http://www.cgtalk.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=15347

RobertoOrtiz
12 December 2006, 02:44 AM
Great work!

Plugged.

-R

Jadetiger
12 December 2006, 06:01 AM
That was great. Love the animation and the whale at the end is a nice touch. :D

vitalmaya
12 December 2006, 07:52 AM
That was really superb! Great timing on your animation. I really liked the design of the penguins too. Great job.

AndyH
12 December 2006, 08:12 AM
Excellent short!

Love the snappy animation style and the lighting is superb. Very funny too.

Good to see some shorts on Youtube too. You cant save them, and the resolution isnt great, but its very quick to view, with no downed servers or awkward rapidshare accounts to get in the way.

A well deserved frontpage :thumbsup:

HappyCalaveras
12 December 2006, 09:15 AM
ha ha, good stuff! I especially like the subtle stretchy cartoon details on the animation! Keep up the great work

P.S. Andrew, there is a Firefox browser extension (free of course) that allows you to download videos from YouTube and a few other sites as .FLV files: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/ Then download a standalone FLV player and you've can rewatch to your heart's content.

elnady
12 December 2006, 10:16 AM
HAHAHA......
Great work,the animation looks fantastic,and very funny idea
Good job :)

ikuru
12 December 2006, 11:11 AM
funny concept, well worth the fronpage!

Mylenium
12 December 2006, 11:13 AM
Excellent and totally funny. A non-tubed version somewhere for download so I can archive it?

Mylenium

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 11:18 AM
How can we be in frontpage?

maxspider3000
12 December 2006, 11:22 AM
wow ... hehehehe ... that was so funny ...
I like your animation style, looks awesome .... realu amazing work, you deserve the 5 *****

BTW, nice whale shoot at the end :D

LukaStellwag
12 December 2006, 12:26 PM
Good job, awsome short movie - I especially like the animation.

Goro
12 December 2006, 12:59 PM
hahahaha awesome! Great animation lovely story and nice design!
Loved it really a great piece of work.

tyio
12 December 2006, 01:16 PM
a part le bruitage des pingouins qui est lourd, c'est lol, bien joué les gars ;)

ikuru
12 December 2006, 05:30 PM
How can we be in frontpage?

you have to do something that the moderators like, and they will put you on the fronpage, or you could win the SOTW in the sketch thread...

But You Are on the fronpage Now dude so Mybe you missed it or I missunderstood you...

saiko
12 December 2006, 06:30 PM
Saw it few weeks back in Youtube...

Cool work!
Keep it up !
:)

JohnnyRandom
12 December 2006, 06:41 PM
Wonderful motion, great expressions, nice colors, & funny to boot...

Great job:thumbsup:

MikeRhone
12 December 2006, 07:39 PM
TOP NOTCH!

Animation, lighting, characters and story... absolutely loved all of it!

Pure-Lake
12 December 2006, 09:54 PM
I rarley laught on movies but ur short made me laugh out loud in the middle of the night!!

I dream to have team like urs someday!

ur even better than Pixar!

waiting 4 ur next!!

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 02:42 AM
All our team thank you! but pixar is the best in 3d animation ;) it's not comparable lol

PhuongDPh
12 December 2006, 03:22 AM
hehe so funny
it's very fantastic on weekend.
Thanks so much ! :applause:

paul-banister
12 December 2006, 01:21 PM
haha,nice simple story,love the colours and composition.job well done.

VirgilioVasconcelos
12 December 2006, 02:24 PM
Great job! Really! Very strong work you have! Congrats!

Jassar
12 December 2006, 02:26 PM
That's very nice man!

Can you please give us a downloadable file? because I want to see it more and more :D
Cheers!

digital-bobert
12 December 2006, 04:41 PM
awesome job. very funny and nice animation!

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 05:24 PM
here is a small making of ;)

http://ragwai.free.fr/FORUM/Dopenguinsfly/MAKINGOF.jpg

We wanted to keep the compositing process as simple as possible. Therefore we rendered only the most important layers (such as RGB, occlusion or shadows), but this still enabled us to get a good flexibility for compositing, in the end.

Mental Ray was used for rendering. The Background is a 2D matte, and the ocean was created using fluid effects. The compositing was done with Combustion.
Since we decided to render this episode in HDTV (1920x1080), the rendering and compositing time has been significantly increased.

That's it

ffourier
12 December 2006, 06:26 PM
tanks for the details. It's always nice to see the different layers that someone used :)

RVG
12 December 2006, 08:43 PM
Very stylised, I've found it unique in the way it has been animated. I think it features a very original usage of squash and stretch in cg that works amazingly well... Also the timing fits very well, which I think was the key to convey the comedy effect for such a simple story. It's definetely a masterpiece.

And the ending with the whale....that was superb!! You've made a bulletproof short from my point of view, no crits!!

Would be great if the animator could drop by sometime and talk about his/her workflow and techniques, etc..

Thanks a bunch for posting such an inspirational work!!

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 11:39 PM
thank you for your compliments! I will ask our animtor to explain you the way that he animates character.

ilusiondigital
12 December 2006, 11:51 PM
Heyya, this short is superb, the animation is great and soooo humoristic. My true congratulations. Good job.

All the best

Victor Marin

KahlanAmnell
12 December 2006, 02:39 AM
ha ha oh now that was good for a laugh.

Great job. I loved when the second penguin passed out do to that smell lmao.

Great work.

powerdan
12 December 2006, 05:19 AM
Congrats for the FrontPage! :thumbsup:

Nice animation, good characters, love the story, and love the lighting.

hope to see more of your work in the future.

--<Daniel>--

Ramteen
12 December 2006, 07:23 AM
great piece of animation . so cool . like so much :))
but just one comment :D I think that would be good if you`v added some motion on clouds in the sky . every thing is alive there in the scene but cloudes . I feel so .he he :D
keep it up and nice team work ;)

Geser
12 December 2006, 08:54 AM
Wonderful work, i really enjoy colors and motions. I'm very interesting, are clouds 3d and what did you used to do it?

gege2100
12 December 2006, 09:28 AM
hey sun !

Nice job ! ;)

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 09:57 AM
Merci mec ca fait plaisir ;)

mimo8
12 December 2006, 12:19 PM
great short ... simple and effective story, funky animation.

just missing a downloadable quicktime version.
I could offer our server here as a mirror.
(send me a PM or mail to share the mov and I´ll put it online)

other question is the normal mapping pass.
how do you use it in post?

thnx
m

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 01:06 PM
Thank you guy for your help, it will be downloadable very soon on our website Planktoon.com ;)
next week i think.

The clouds are juste a picture of real clouds, we didn't have much time to work on this project so we have used the simplest techniques.
The normalmap is a pass that let us relight our characters, we used to key a channel and keep it as a selection to adjust levels. It's very useful if you want to change the direction of the lighting or to calibrate the color of your keylight.
Don't hesitate to ask other technical question! ;)

dunsoner
12 December 2006, 05:43 PM
Very good animation love the clip very creative! 5 stars from me :buttrock:

paultheplumber
12 December 2006, 07:31 PM
Great Job. Love the sqash/stretch when going from the air to the ground. And the chirpy sound effects are spot on.

lostPin
12 December 2006, 07:48 PM
That whale at the end is awsome. The film is ok, nicely lit and animated, although it's kind of an old idea...

OniricCreative
12 December 2006, 11:13 PM
ahahahahahah :applause:!! I just love the end bit with the flying whale!!! Really good job guys, well done!!

AVTPro
12 December 2006, 01:37 AM
nice nice, and the punch like was great. didn't fall flat. Very entertaining. Super Snappy and readible motion, with nice realism in the acting.

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 07:18 AM
Verry happy that everyone love the whale gag, at the begining this shot was cut in the animation board...

madheavy
12 December 2006, 09:24 AM
Beautiful Animation!! I loved it! One question, could you post this on http://stage6.divx.com/? The video quality on Youtube is so 2400 Baud Modem quality! (The worst on the internet IMHO)

If you post it there, we can all appreciate it in hi-rez glory!!

Thanks for sharing

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 09:55 AM
Our site Planktoon will be online this weekend, The movie will be downlable in FullHD 1080p,
You will know some more about our 3Dcollective "Planktoon" and our others projects.

www.Planktoon.com (http://www.Planktoon.com) ;)

mimo8
12 December 2006, 05:42 PM
great news ... waiting for your web launch

SemAssink
12 December 2006, 06:40 PM
Great animation!
Nice poses and environment.
Really like your own created kinda style!!!

JUST COOL

sunlimet
12 December 2006, 03:01 PM

adib
12 December 2006, 07:15 PM
Excelence work!Very good animation!:bounce:

metropolis
12 December 2006, 11:48 PM
uf! Just really good:applause:

sunlimet
02 February 2007, 10:32 PM
The website is finally online on

www.planktoon.com (http://www.planktoon.com)

Hope you like!

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2007, 10:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.