LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : mia_material_roundc - cutout opacity

12-01-2006, 03:07 AM
Im trying to get a cleaner looking edge on a hole made with mapping the mia_material_roundC shader's cutout opacity with a file texture. It looks like a sampling problem, but I havent been able to fix it so far. Any ideas?

12-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I think I figured out a few things. Maybe this will help someone else - or maybe you can correct me if I got it wrong. Mostly it was trial and error.

I wanted to map the Cutout Opacity attribute with a file texture to cut out holes in the surface (not like glass windows, but empty holes).
Notice the jagged looking hole edge, even though this was rendered at production quality.
I discovered that if I set the fileTexture filter type to "off", then the edge becomes nice and smooth. (Its still not perfect if you get it close, but certainly usable)

Well that file texture was an anti-aliassed solid black shape on a white bgnd. Next I tried a blurred version (blurred in photoshop). Now I get a wierd shading at the edge of the hole (even with filter=off).
But if I turn off reflectivety it looks correct.

So my conclusion so far is that reflection only works correctly with solid black or white values for cutout opacity. Greys cause problems. Maya's file-texture filtering creates problems, because it introduces more grey-values.
(I havent tried refraction yet).

Another discovery was that shadows ignore the cutout opacity holes inless you add a shadow shader. And for this sphere I would need a shadow trace depth of 3 for shadows to work correctly.

Ok thats it for now.

12-02-2006, 03:47 PM
When it comes to use maya render nodes with mental ray, most of the time you will want to set filter to 0 and use filter offset instead.

12-03-2006, 12:59 PM
(Its not like Im obsessed or anything)
Mapping cutout opacity on a mia_material results in reflection problems for mid range opacity, which can be seen in this example where I have a used a blurred polka-dot fileTexture to cut holes in a sphere...

A better way to do this is to use the mib_opacity shader instead, as you can see here...

And then fileTexture filtering also works with no jaggy artifacts (although I agree with Exo7 that alot of the time you would probably turn off filtering - for one thing its faster).
Here's an example with an un-blurred polka-dot fileTexture using quartic filtering=1

01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks for reporting this, seems to be a bug.

It would be good if you could officialy report it at the Autodesk bug report page.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.