View Full Version : "Recliner" by Phan Wiantrakoon - VFS animated short

PHO 75
11 November 2006, 07:04 AM
Hello folks,
Here's an animated short that was created during my time at the Vancouver Film School. It is roughly 7 months of work all together. The craziest most stressful time of my life but it was all worth it. The soundtrack is temporary and is a a song by Dave Brubeck called "Kathy's Waltz". Comments and critiques are most welcome. I am also looking for freelance character animation work. Thanks in advance all, Enjoy!

You can "right click and save as..." from the links below:

large (http://www.phanw.com/videos/Phan_Wiantrakoon_reel.mov)/mirror (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d57phanthep/Phan_Wiantrakoon_reel.mov)
small (http://www.phanw.com/videos/Phan_Wiantrakoon_reel_small.mov)/mirror (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d57phanthep/Phan_Wiantrakoon_reel_small.mov)

www.phanw.com (http://www.phanw.com)

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d57phanthep/Recliner_1.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d57phanthep/Recliner_2.jpg

Lupin500
11 November 2006, 07:56 AM
Great animation Phan and cute little story!:thumbsup:
I also think the music fits really well with the mood of your piece.
Congrats and good luck!

chiquiflita
11 November 2006, 10:12 PM
I love this pice, and ur animation style. You worked so hard on this pice and i think it tourned out great. Congratulations man i know you will make it far, very very proud of you. All those long night payed off and it shows it. In my opinion the best animation of our class. Good luck man and congrats!

tweakin verts
11 November 2006, 10:50 PM
Just a minor comment on the lighting: I like how you succeeded in bringing out the brighter values in the piece (the sunlight was well done). I just think you needed a lot more darker values in the piece.

PangSiawYee
11 November 2006, 12:51 PM
Phan, good job! I'm glad to see your reel in cgtalk. Remind me of Vancouver so much.. Especially the recliner. I wonder how is your recliner now? It's worth carrying it all the way from Granville to Hornby, isn't it?

I really like your story. The animation is great! Especially when Charlie is trying out the recliner. The mood of the rendering is so soft and beautiful..

Honestly, your animation is the best in our class. I'm so proud of you!! Keep it up and I'm sure you will be able to get what you want very soon. All the best to you Phan!

christopr
11 November 2006, 05:53 PM
Very cool well done, Phan was it? The part when he is trying out the chair to see how comfy it is really is of Pixar calibar in my humble opinion. 5 Stars from me.

PHO 75
12 December 2006, 05:46 AM
Lupin500- Thanks Giorgio, your rigging skill drops my jaw. good luck my friend.

chiquiflita- Thanks mexico, I really do miss our cigarette breaks late at night, i haven't been getting my much needed 2nd hand smoke over here. i'll talk to you tomorrow.

tweakin verts- I really wish I could have set aside more time for lighting. I totally agree with you, thanks for the crit

PangSiawYee- and you thought i was crazy for buying a chair just for a project. I hope it's still in the ant farm and everyone is treating it with respect it deserves. thanks for keeping me sane for 7 months

christopr- I go by Outrageous P now, Thanks for the compliment Chris.

pommegenozide
12 December 2006, 10:08 AM
Definitely my most favourite anim shorts from VFS.
Nice style and especially the expressions on both characters' faces. (esp. the mover-guy)
Keep on good work, man!

BrandonDude
12 December 2006, 01:54 AM
Wow...
this is pretty nice animation.
awesome work.
:thumbsup: X 200

p0rcupine
12 December 2006, 01:36 PM
Hello Phan, very exciting to see your reel here.
I thought you weren't gonna post it here since it took a while but I guess you were too busy animating at work.

Like I said before it's very nice. I really like the idea and it's very easy to understand what is going on. Very well designed.

I don't need to say "good luck with ur job hunt" 'casue u already got one but I would like to say Good luck with ur career. I know you will get where you want to be in a short amount of time as you are one talented human.

Take care of urself buddy. See you around ;)

PHO 75
12 December 2006, 07:49 PM
thank you my asian connection brothers!

pommegenozide- Thanks buddy, hope all is well in Van! take care
BrandonDude- hey man, thanks for the compliment, your bird flu short is pretty damn sweet also, hope you enjoyed your time abroad.
p0cupine- Mr. Kim, stop going out and drinking with shinuto til 7 in the morning, you're gonna kill the poor guy. also stop spreading your maya propaganda in the 3d57 forum, it's poison and you know it. ha ha, thanks, take care KG

c_Hotchkiss
12 December 2006, 03:53 AM
smoooth dood...

whats he doing, smelling the chair?

sachin3d
12 December 2006, 01:24 PM
hahaha good work man, nice funny story really liked it. good luck for the future.

billywoodward
12 December 2006, 03:20 PM
Loved the concept! Your timing was very well done, and I especially liked the secondary action of the chair. Keep up the awesome work, I look forward to seeing more!

Loewi
12 December 2006, 11:18 PM
love it, great stuff!
like was said before, the secondary motion on the chair and the way he tries the different positions were really great to me. also love the lighting.

Want to see more of you keep it coming!

3dcga
12 December 2006, 03:27 AM
Great stuff!!! Love the acting and timing of your short. Entertaining as well :)

PureMoxi
12 December 2006, 05:12 AM
Nice stuff my friend...I like the music as a backdrop to the piece as a whole as I think it sets the tone for the audience to feel lighthearted despite the fact that he is obviously worn down by life -- However, I feel that something with a little more contrast in harmony and/or rhythm would enhance the specific stages of your piece even further...i.e. such as his moment of sheer pleasure or the final moments of sheer surprise.

Overall, I like the look of the piece and always get a little chuckle at the end. I think that the tweaking you did with the lifting of the chair and the interactions with the chair really brought the piece to a great and entertaining place. My only reservation is that I think some of the poses when he's doing the lifting could be pushed even further and some of the timing tightened up just a bit to make the audience feel the weight and desire of this guy even more. Either way, this is solid piece and its behind you. I can't wait to see some more, new cool stuff from you. I know you will do well...Congrats.

XEngineer
01 January 2007, 09:56 AM
Nice job Phan! I'm not sure if you remember my postings, but I replied to some of your inquiries about Gnomon and reaffirmed your choice to go to VFS. Looks like it paid off for you! I think this is great stuff. And I just finished a year of Animation Mentor and have seen alot of student work. So, congrats and good luck! p.s. It looks like you found work in Dallas?

KengZ
01 January 2007, 07:55 AM
hahaha ! It's funny and very nice story !! I like it
:thumbsup::applause:

Very COOL !

o00o
01 January 2007, 05:42 PM
cute animation i like it

PHO 75
01 January 2007, 05:19 AM
c_Hotchkiss - ha ha yeah, he has a real problem.

Loewi - Thanks buddy, long time no talk. i hope Vangaurd is treating you well.

PureMoxi - hey buddy, i agree with your crits. in the 7 months working on this piece the one thing i never nailed down was the snappy timing. looking at it now, the piece really does feels to be at a constant pace, story wise and animation. now everything i work on, breaking up the timing seems to be the first thing i focus on. thanks for the comments.

XEngineer - hey Jerry, long time no talk. yeah i remeber you helped me out a lot a while back. well, all in all, VFS was a great experience and i have no regrets with the decision. a stressful year but also one of the best. and I am currently working in Dallas at a company called Element X Creative. I can't believe I get paid to to do this stuff. Thanks for the kind words Jerry, Take Care.

sachin3d, billywoodward, 3dcga, o00o, KengZ- Thanks a lot guys. really appreciate it.

guerrillero
02 February 2007, 03:50 AM
great! rarely seen such a good short from VFS. direction and animation is simply superb! keep it up!

FunkyCowie
02 February 2007, 03:00 PM
Every part of it works really well, story, rendering, modelling, rigging, animation. It is really entertaining. However if your going to show it as a demoreel or send it to film festivals I would definately tidy up where the legs and feet penetrate the geometry of the chair as it stands out so much that a potential employer will spot it and have second thoughts about hiring you.

Myristate
02 February 2007, 12:31 AM
Great Great work man Well done, 7 months of hell payed off, you say the music isnt Final i like the music what else did you have in mind?, just a few sound affects maybe. 5 Stars ;)

umjetnik
02 February 2007, 12:40 AM
fantastic !! the ending is the payoff, well staged...animation is great, the color palete is nice though could use some more contrast IMO and the pacing is spot on !! Was this plugged ? such a shame if not as its alot better than some of the stuff getting front page.

CHAMPWY
02 February 2007, 11:16 AM
Great Work!!! I like it so much! His facail expression is... ha ha... I like it!!! :thumbsup:

Stream13
02 February 2007, 08:09 PM
Phan,

I think this piece is great! I enjoy the character and chair animation while he's checking out the recliner, but I have to agree with FunkyCowie. The leg/feet crashes need to be fixed up. I also noticed a hand crash during one of his flops onto the chair and his tie crashes as he opens up the recliner. I think the briefcase drop needs a bit more "weight". The case itself looks too light when he drops it.

I like the style you went with, enough detail to tell the story but not so much that it distracts from the animation itself.

I like the music you went with for a majority of the scene, but it would be nice (as someone already mentioned) to maybe have a slight change in music to fit the emotion he's experiencing. Sound effects might be nice as well (nothing too cheesy mind you). A foot scuff, a long drawn out sniff, a creaking for the chair or slightly "spring" noise (hard to describe) or even ambience as well (bird, car noise etc) Just not too overwhelming that you stop paying attention to the animation.

Over all once you get those crashes fixed up I think your piece is great :) Congratulations!

ENL
02 February 2007, 03:21 PM
Good work. story was great and i loved it when he picked up the chair, very convincing.

PHO 75
02 February 2007, 03:30 AM
thank you everyone for the compliments.

i agree with the crashing issue. when i animated most of those shots i tried not to think too much about crashing, it is such a big chair compared to his body and it was really tough getting him into certain poses. as long as the crashing wasn't too much i thought i'd just fix it up with shape animation afterwards. it did the trick for most cases, other spots the crashing was so severe that the blend shape would have looked rediculous so i had to let it go, and also i just missed a few. i see more and more everytime i watch it.

as for the music, the school actually took care of that. what i have here was just supposed to be temporary while i waited for the final version the new version has the little sound effects that this one is missing. i guess i've been too lazy to replace it.

again, thanks for all of the replies

xazard
02 February 2007, 06:42 AM
Duuude! It's really freakin' good for a student demo reel that's for sure. Right on!

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2007, 06:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.