View Full Version : mapping a texture to .3ds files?

JasonAlacrity
11 November 2006, 09:00 PM
Hey guys, got a bit of a newbie question for you but Iím really at my wits end now.

When I import .3ds models into Maya they come in with no UV information, so when I try to map a file texture to them they go transparent. Iíve tried mapping the textures using projection and have played around with all the UV options but am at a loss. I even tried opening up the model in Max where it originated and Max said that there was no UV info as well. Anyone have any ideas how I can get a texture to map onto the model in Maya?

acidream
11 November 2006, 12:46 AM
You need to apply some sort of UV mapping to your object in order to create a usable UV set. Try poking around the Create UV's menu in Maya 8, and in Maya 7 I think it was in Edit Polygons -> UV's or something like that.

JasonAlacrity
11 November 2006, 03:50 AM
Ok cool, thanks. I was able to create a new UV Set based on the Camera, but I still cant get any images to map to the color property, it all still goes transparent. So Im guessing that UV's arent the whole of my problem?

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2006, 03:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.