View Full Version : emit letters in a sequence to form words

olmos
11 November 2006, 02:10 PM
hi,

i'm doing an animation in which i need a particle emitter to emit solid polygonal letters to form words, let's say " H E L L O M A R Y J A N E ..." and those thousands of particles have to collide inside of a polygonal head model. I'm using the particle instancer cycle but this only make a cycle for all the particles at time, so i just have a lot of H H H Hs and then E E E Es flying arrownd..

Is there any way to tell the particle instancer cycle to emit secuencially one different instance per each new particle being created? Any suggestions? thanks

olmos

HappyCalaveras
11 November 2006, 02:01 AM
Is there any way to tell the particle instancer cycle to emit secuencially one different instance per each new particle being created? Any suggestions? thanks

Try creating a new per-particle attribute, say "wordIndex". Make a Creation expression to set wordIndex = particleId % <# of letters>; Then enable "Allow All Data Types" in Instancer options and set your ObjectIndex to be "wordIndex" and it should cycle through the word over and over for emitted particles. I just did a quick test and it looks alright...

NOTE: This assumes your letters are listed in the correct order in your Instancer list.

untelon
11 November 2006, 02:12 AM
Let me make sure I understand what you are after: You will have thousands of particles colliding inside a poly object. These particles will be instanced letters. the letters should form a phrase.

If that is the case, there are probably several approaches you could take. You could use a module operand to assign every 1, 9, 18, 27th particle to a location. In turn these particles would alse have instanced one of the specific letters, say "E".

I think that perhaps an easier approach would be to create 9 particle nodes. Each node would correspond to one of the letters. You would animated them as you wish, and then goal them to a transform location.

I hope these gives you some ideas.

unTelon

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2006, 02:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.