View Full Version : Sickly Horse Model

10 October 2006, 06:38 AM
Hello there, This is one of my first real posts here on cgtalk. I thought I would make a WIP thread for one of my various projects.

I am using a concept that I found without permission, an email is in waiting. but since the project is for practice and nothing more I thought it wouldnt be a big issue. You can find the concept here -->

I am taking ideas from it but more than not I am going on my own path for the idea.

This is my first organic modeling experience btw. So enjoy the trip. And please post your thoughts.

I will start by posting my progress thus far.

10 October 2006, 06:43 AM
Day 1. Started a model for fun.

10 October 2006, 06:46 AM

10 October 2006, 06:49 AM

10 October 2006, 06:51 AM
Alright This is my latest Version. Plus a closeup of the texture

I think this is a good project for me, I dont normally do organic modeling. It opens me up to Pelt mapping and other tools and techniques requires for organic modeling.

10 October 2006, 07:10 AM
The model looks pretty solid, although it's hard to tell without a wireframe... I like your texture to, but it still needs some more contrast imo.

10 October 2006, 07:32 AM
ya thats true. I usually build up the contrast as I paint. I start with basic colors. Blocking in areas so i know where to paint. then build it up till its just right.

10 October 2006, 08:47 AM
That kicks ass. An awesome surreal style you've got.

10 October 2006, 09:48 AM
thanx a lot aesir. im sure its mostly due to the concept i used tho hehe.

This is more what its gonna look like. the hair needs a lot of work but i think it makes the horse look much sicker and depressed.

10 October 2006, 01:03 PM
Amazing style! Loving the proportions and posture of the horse, and the textures are incredible.

Big thumbs up. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

10 October 2006, 04:48 PM
That looks too cool. I really like it. The face texture is looking really nice. I hope that carries on with the rest of the model.

Don't forget about the protruding ribs and possibly the imprint where the saddle's sat.

Keep it up!

10 October 2006, 06:14 PM
That texture work looks amazing,

10 October 2006, 06:19 PM
man that's excellent. this is your fist organic model? i hate you

10 October 2006, 07:42 PM
dear GOD thats amazing.

10 October 2006, 08:55 PM
dear GOD thats amazing.

Quite teh understatement. Wires!!!

10 October 2006, 11:14 PM
well here are the wires so far. I collapsed and saved after the meshsmooth so there is no low poly version to show. But again since this project is for practice it shouldnt matter.

10 October 2006, 11:19 PM

I really like the way you showed the progression of the horse. He seemed to grow a body...

Very nice attention to emotion you've portrayed.

10 October 2006, 07:09 AM
I started building up the textures for the body. the hair is blocked in and its all a bit basic at the moment. once its just right i will start detailing it all, building up contrast, then in the end normal map it and specular map it.

10 October 2006, 02:47 AM
textures aside i expect this model to have some kickass normals. so i have been trying my hardest to find information on normals, how they work. and how to create them. photoshop nvidia filter just seems too lame. so i used zbrush to create a high poly test. The model is too high poly. kills my computer. and the normal didnt turn out at all so i need to look into figuring out the problem.

anyway. here is the test high poly.

10 October 2006, 02:56 AM
amazing very top notch. Passed great work imo, and into Art. Feels like surealism.

10 October 2006, 04:46 AM
Thats awesome! Cool idea and I really dig the style.

10 October 2006, 11:38 PM
thanks so much for the comments!

I finally figured out how to successfully create normal maps using high poly models. These are my first renders.

11 November 2006, 07:59 AM
The style is very cool, are you going to do more characters in this style?

You gave him a wang! Bravo! (I hate kendoll characters)

11 November 2006, 05:06 PM
As he was mostly an experiment and meant for practice i will most likely do more characters for the same reason. As for the style, i just modeled and painted him how i saw fit. odds are that is my style and future projects like this will most likely turn out the same :)

im happy you like it, and thank you for the reply.

11 November 2006, 08:13 PM
its not finished yet but its getting there. this project is one of many so i have to work on it when i get a chance. going to create the harnesses next.

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2006, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.