View Full Version : Art Lebedev releases upravlator input device

10 October 2006, 06:56 PM
Art Lebedev, maker of the Optimus mini-three LCD screen input device, and the optimus lcd keyboard, have released details on a new device they call the "upravlator." It is a 3x3 grid of small OLED panels, each with toggle buttons affixed internally. The upper left square effects to context of the other 8 buttons, allowing for an organized way to visually and tactily interact with interface elements and content:

10 October 2006, 07:48 PM
Eh, whats the point of having physical programmable buttons when you can have virtual programmable buttons on any kind of touch screen???

10 October 2006, 08:17 PM
Aside from looking nice this has no use whatsoever. And the insanely high prices dont help either. The three button one was what $250 or so?

10 October 2006, 08:24 PM
This thing, don't need it. Now that keyboard they are some day going to release, well that I will take a good look at.

10 October 2006, 11:48 PM
I could deffinately see this being worth buying. It looks like the buttons can be touched on the edges in order to scroll through several options per square.

10 October 2006, 05:32 AM
Provided it's not too expensive I'd consider getting one, primarily for use with photoshop, i.e. mapping actions and favorite brush presets, color correction, etc. Would be a real time saver.
The design is simple enough (standard lcd panels with shared one-piece backlight, mechanical toggle switches) that it could have a price point of around $500-$700, which is very reasonable for the market this is aimed at. Hell, for that price I'd get them to buy me three for work :)

10 October 2006, 07:13 AM
it jsut doesn't make sense in a production standpoint, but marketing, oh man having this at a counter for a video demonstration at your siggrpah booth, 8 movies plpayin in the little lcd screens and then pushing one to place that movie full screen on a large monitor, that could be cool

10 October 2006, 03:51 PM
They've gotta quick working on this other stuff and get that damned keyboard out! :D

CGTalk Moderation
10 October 2006, 03:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.