View Full Version : dynamic parenting

toonafish
10 October 2006, 03:17 PM
What's the best way to dynamicly parent an object in XSI.

I need to animate a deck of cards beeing picked up from the table, then changes from the left hand to the right hand a few times and back to the the table.

Initialy several pose constraints stacked on top of eachother with Constraint Comp worked like a charm. But it seems there's a limit of how many pose constraints you can have, I use 4 now and XSI seems to lose it and forget what object to constrain to.

So I think I used a wrong method, is there a better way that also lets you stick an objects position like with Constrain Comp ?

thanks.

bravmm
10 October 2006, 03:37 PM
what about animating the "strenght" of the constraints, one for the table and one for each hand?? Would that do or is the naimation of switching complicated?

toonafish
10 October 2006, 04:05 PM
I tried that initialy, but I couldn't figure out a way to make the deck of cards stick to their position/orientation while going from one constraint to another.

When adding a new constraint you can use the Constrant Compenstion, which doesn't seem to work with already existing constraints. Or am I wrong ?

The hands are in another postion/oreintation every time the cards need to change hands. If they weren't it what you're suggesting would be the best way for sure.

CGTalk Moderation
10 October 2006, 04:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.