XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Body Topology

09-26-2006, 01:15 AM
hi , does anyone knows a site or tutorial to help me with body topology? the topology thread up there only covers faces...and im havin problems to know where to put loops in bodys.

09-26-2006, 02:48 AM
donno any sites which help, but if you could get your hands on Maya techniques master class- hyper real modeling......it does discuss line flow on the whole body in general.
hope that helps...

09-26-2006, 09:53 AM
it'a a complex question, there's no quick answer, better to get a book or a dvd.
I would also suggest to study a little bit of anatomy, it helps a lot.

09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
you should start with a tutorial on drawing bodies (for proportions)
+ studying anatomy, from basic to more detailed areas

as for modeling i recommend low poly edit for canvas, then highpoly export to zbrush for details

but that s more a question of what to model rather than how to model
you cant be Davinci in one day , especially with a mouse..

09-26-2006, 11:23 PM

I don't know how experienced you are at modeling anatomical topology, but I found that the best way to learn is to jump on in. Find some reference pictures (usually from a medical site is the best bet) and then start modeling. After a few goes you should have your own way to build anatomical topology which have loops running how desired.

Saying that there are some DVD's and books that I can suggest which I have been through:

Gnomon Humanoid Modeling - http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/smi03.html
Freedom of Teach Organic Modeling - http://www.freedom-of-teach.com/downloads/index.php

Anatomy Drawing School - Andras Szunyoghy, Gyorgy Feher

One more thing I found a treat is to take a look at other peoples wires when they are kind enough to post them up. Its not always a good idea to copy the way they do things, but sometimes it can give you and idea of where to get started.

Hope that helps,

09-27-2006, 12:58 AM

thanks for all the replies guys and gals.

cat , i have been studying anatomy just recently and yes i agree with you that no one can be a davinci in one day

greg , thanks a lot for the recomendations , i sure will buy those , i need ALL reference material i can get my hands on from books to dvd , and these will sure help me get started

as for wires...yeah i almost always see people posting head wires or posting their models already rendered , its a little hard to find full body wires or im not searching right

anyway thanks for all the replies , if anyone have a suggestion on books or dvds please post it!

thanks again :D

09-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Do you still need references? I just finished a game res anatomy model, I'll post some pics when I get home next week so you can see the edge flow on the body

10-05-2006, 12:56 PM
By the way, the Richer is a great book. it's on amazon :)

10-05-2006, 11:35 PM
hey alchemist , sure i do :D could please me let me know when you up the pics??? thanks a lot dude :D

and monica , thanks you too for the advice i will check on that book :D

thanks a lot guys

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.