XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : simple model, need help :(

09-23-2006, 10:16 PM
ok, here's the deal, I'm trying to model the shoulder part of the marine in the cinematic.

Notice how it is all rounded. It was looking good and correct in the begining but when I was about to make holes and screws, I started to think about how my polyflow should go. I did a couple of different variations and I kept comming back to the one with I started. If I smooth it it looks bad, I don't want to go too much detail or use boleans on a smoothed 10 000 poly piece. I want to keep it in low poly so when I smooth it, my mesh looks nice and roundy just lik in the image. So I need some tips, if someone could draw their idea of the polyflow. I was thinking about doing it with surface tools, but since I'm doing everything in Edit Poly (Subd) I would really like some help on this one. Here is my mesh ;

so, no complicated and dense mesh ;) I use 3dsmax for this.

09-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Ok I'm a total newb to watching my poly flow and I'm trying to work on getting it good. I may completely wrong on this, or semi right. But I figured I offer help where I could, or if I can. So I notice you have long polys leading up to where your holes are, they may be causing a smoothing problem. Not sure, But maybe add a few more lines around the holes so it has more polys to smooth rather than big long ones.

09-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi there,

The problem may be your smoothing groups, however I don't think anyone will be able to tell unless you show us an image of the smoothed result. Perhaps upload one?

Cheers :D

09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Well obviously , with your model's case , smoothing groups won't do much for you (you need to add a lot of edge loop to kill any bad angles ), as you stated the final will be a smoothed mesh (meshsmooth or turbosmooth mod applied) here's the best flow i can think of without remodeling the entire model.
Don't know how accurate you want your model to be , but i noticied some difference in the thickness (see DarkBlue lines), maybe you should consider those too.

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.