XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : GUN art redo- Hollister

09-23-2006, 04:27 AM
I'm posting this around to start a WIP journal/thread. Hopefully I take this piece all the way to completion. :)

This is an early WIP. I'm about 3 hours in at this point.

I'm making a new asset of an old character in my spare time. For any fans of GUN, this is Hollister, the crazy Civil War Sergeant in the game. I chose this character as a project because I completely designed and created him. Other characters I created usually had a concept artist develop the initial design.

Here is Hollister from the PS2 game:
http://www.superostrich.net/images/large/3d_hollister.jpg (http://www.superostrich.net/images/large/3d_hollister.jpg)

09-23-2006, 07:24 AM
You worked on gun :eek: i love the game. Character looks great what are you re-doing on him? Just making him more detailed or what? Thats an impresive amount of work to have done in 3hours. Keep up the good work

09-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the comments Jonny. I don't think I'll change much. Maybe a few elements I didn't make totally accurate last time around, such as his hat and straps/belts.

09-24-2006, 07:50 AM
I love the look and feel of GUN. You guys over at NC Soft did a terrific job!

I personally play games more so for the look and storyline vs. the actual gameplay, and GUN achieved all of the above.

09-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Man this so cool, I can't wait for the updates.

can you tell me about the work flow you used on this model, just curious.

09-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Sure thing. I have a low poly base head mesh that I recently made. I started with this and moved some points around to get it to roughly match up with the outline of the PS2 version of Hollister. I then took it into Zbrush and started sculpting. I'll export both the high poly and low poly back out of Zbrush and generate a normal map with those two in Max. That low poly from Zbrush now becomes my final low poly. I'll work on it some more this week and post updates.

10-05-2006, 06:14 AM
Quick update on this.

10-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Coming along nicely, the only crit are the ears they look untouched. Nice job on the eyes lots of character there and overall its looking good already.

10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
It's looking great, please finish it :D.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.