View Full Version : Animate Slice modifier

akzit2
09 September 2006, 05:07 PM
My first post in here, quick simple question, but before I have done a quick search on the topic but the question is beacuse I can not make it work for me...

My intent is to animate a sequence of building "growing from the site" and the easiest way to get this is to apply a slice modifier on each of them and then just animate the slice plan with set keys (bottom and then up), but my problem is that when I do this and play the animation it does not animate the slice plan at all???

I did the mini tut in the max help and in there they suggest to use the auto key and it worked but since I have a bunch of buildings in different sequences it would be nice to have more control using the set key method

Any suggestions...am I doing something wrong????

Thanks a bunch!

akika
09 September 2006, 10:35 AM
This shouldn´t be a problem.
Have you dealed with animation basics in MAX?

- Apply slice to your modell.
- adjust the slice plane to the desired start position
- press the animate button or "n"
- got to the desired endtime
- position the slice plane to the desired endpostion.

I guess you missed one of the steps.

akzit2
09 September 2006, 04:49 PM
Akika thanks but that is exactly what does work for me, pressing the "n" is the same as using the auto key but the thing with autokey is that it sets the start of the animation of the slice plane to the start of the whole animation time frame, I know I can then drag the start key for that plane and put it on any other time in the slider thus having the start of that specific motion where I need it.

What I am asking is if using the "set key" or manual set of start and then finish keys possible for the slice plan just like moving a camera or a dummy, or any other object? I have read previous post here for animating the slice plan and they say it can be done but when I try it does not work, I mean it does NOT work on the manual set key, it works on the auto key.

Am I missing a setting or does it only work with auto key???

Many many thanks

akzit2
09 September 2006, 10:06 PM
akika found the answer, well not found, over at cgarchitect one user ointed me to what I was missing, and I knew it was something simple.

Had to check the all to the "key filters" setting to the right of the "set key" button, after that it worked like I taught it would work.

Thanks for the help

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2006, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.