View Full Version : [Blizzard Con] WOW Environement "Ironforge"
09 September 2006, 10:23 PM
quick paintover (allready modeled many parts)
Ironforge is the main city of the draws.
I don't want to use the normal wow style, but go for a more realistic, danger look.
09 September 2006, 01:22 PM
hmmm my image dissappeaded D:
here is my finished model:
09 September 2006, 01:56 PM
WAW, amazing that it is so lowpoly... Can we see a wire please?
09 September 2006, 02:12 PM
Looks good but I think there are a couple of places where it can be improved...
1. You should make the Ironforge gates lighter so that it becomes the focus of the image. It's also tough to make out the details on the gates at the moment again, because it's quite dark.
2. The rocks in the foreground don't look as realistic as they could because there's no snow on them. Typically, everything in a snowy environment should have snow on top of it. Check this image for reference...
3. The glowing slots in the side of the gates look like textures rather than windows. I'd extrude the slots going back into the gate and then have the glow effect created using actual light sources, so that it looks like light emanating from inside.
4. The sky could look a little more realistic. I'd have a search on the net for an environment map, or just find a snowy landscape photo and place it on a plane.
5. There's not much in there to indicate scale. What I would probably do is take the two rocks that are jutting up in-front of the gate, remove them and add a bit more snow there to create a kind of plateau, and then maybe add some tiny silhouettes in there to indicate maybe a dwarf with a pack horse or something like that.
I think removing those rocks and creating the plateau would probably make it a little better compositionally too, as there would be more of an obvious path leading to the gates, which will help draw people's attention there too.
I hope i've not come across as too negative. I do like this environment (your texturing is especially nice), I just think it needs a few tweaks. ;)
09 September 2006, 02:34 PM
thx for the comments!
Didn't had the time to make it the way I wanted it :/
could someone please help me is there stimm time for submitting art for the contest?
at the german site, the deadline was two hours ago, but on the american site the deadline is 11:59 PST PM ...
am I worng or is ther still a bunch of time left?
09 September 2006, 03:33 PM
yea, in California (PST) you've got a little over 15 hours. Get going.
09 September 2006, 10:34 PM
this contest ist just a joke! I sped more than 4 hoars triing to send blizzard my entry! AND it didn't work!
Send them an email, hopefully, the will accept it..
09 September 2006, 10:58 PM
That looks unbelievably scrumptious!
09 September 2006, 02:00 AM
yeah, Headless put you on the right path and now it looks really good. Exellent work!
09 September 2006, 03:59 AM
i want a wire!
09 September 2006, 09:16 PM
The deadline got extended \o/
Therefore Imade some additional fixes. Comments? If not I will make my final render + entry collage :)
I will post a wireframe, when everything is final :)
09 September 2006, 09:24 PM
I dont care for the creatures. Sillouettes would have been a more modest touch towards the gate. Not sure about the lightning yet, but the vegitation is a nice touch. Exellent work though. And yes, get that wire posted!
09 September 2006, 11:11 PM
im not a fan of the lightning either and theres something funny going on the corner right side. awesome peice man!
09 September 2006, 11:31 PM
First of all your image lacks depth and dramatic value. It's the same color in the forground and the background which makes the image appear very flat (and boring).
I recommend that you take that lightning and replace it by an interesting cloudscape.
Then I would have popped the warm colors of ironforge so that there's some contrast in the picture.
You got a very cool thing going, I'm myself a ironforge kinda guy ;)
09 September 2006, 05:55 PM
09 September 2006, 07:24 AM
and a wireframe ;)
09 September 2006, 05:34 PM
I am not a big fan of the lightning...but the image is gorgeous...looks handpainted. I really was dying to see the wireframe so I could confirm whether it was even really 3d, good stuff!
09 September 2006, 08:28 AM
hi Manuel, nice work! The only crit is the lighting - I don't know if it really suits there :)
09 September 2006, 08:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.