View Full Version : Can a Cat Count? (short-film)

AsaMovshovitz
09 September 2006, 10:32 AM
Hi,

>>>link<<< (http://www.savefile.com/projects/1006163)

or

youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFyhJ0spopM)

here is a short film i finished a few mounths ago, it is about this little cat that learns to count
(it has some cartoon violence)

hope you like it,

Cheers,

Asa

KevinKraeer
09 September 2006, 04:50 PM
Well animated, and nicely paced. I like the design of the cat too. Great work!

AsaMovshovitz
09 September 2006, 02:30 PM
Well animated, and nicely paced. I like the design of the cat too. Great work!

Thanks Kevin:)
here are a few frames for the film
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1559/catstillsjn8.th.jpg (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catstillsjn8.jpg)

bernoccoli
09 September 2006, 03:12 PM
the general movement of the cat is too floaty, the face is a little rigid.. i didn't feel any kind of personality into the character but..

i just love when cats get hurt.. in any way.. :) funny.

AsaMovshovitz
09 September 2006, 06:22 PM
the general movement of the cat is too floaty, the face is a little rigid.. i didn't feel any kind of personality into the character but..

Thanks ephixx for the C&C hope to do better and improve in the future, at least you thought it was funny.

AikoWorld
09 September 2006, 11:34 AM
the link is dead

AsaMovshovitz
09 September 2006, 01:45 PM
thanks AikoWorld, but both links seem to be working for me, if you know any better places to host mov please let me know

newellteapot
09 September 2006, 01:15 PM
very funny, dark humoured piece of animation.
Love the design of the cat, it makes it look so hopeless and projected towards his destiny... of death.
well done!

newellteapot
09 September 2006, 03:11 PM
the face is a little rigid.. i didn't feel any kind of personality into the character but..

Hi, I think that it's funny exactly because the face doesn't have many features and all his suicidal intentions are expressed only through his big eyes.
I think that the minimalistic design goes well with black humour, but also it's personal.
Cheers
Monica

AsaMovshovitz
09 September 2006, 09:45 AM
Hi, I think that it's funny exactly because the face doesn't have many features and all his suicidal intentions are expressed only through his big eyes.
I think that the minimalistic design goes well with black humour, but also it's personal.
Cheers
Monica

Thanks Monica:) I am glad you liked it, and you are right, it was a design decision to make him simple (less is more sort of thing) and test if i can still get him reacting to what he is doing. even if it is not perfect it still funny and makes people smile which is what i was trying to do for the start.

cheers,

Asa

lucavfx
09 September 2006, 02:09 PM
Hello,

I think the stiffness of the face works nicely with the slow body movements and the big expressive eyes because characterizes more the cat.
Asa designed a very expressive character which IMHO doesn't need exagerated animation to tell its story.

Perhaps a small critique about the colours:
I think there might be too many colours; I would reduce the colour palette down so to focus the viewers attention more on the gags :)

Anyway a great short, really funny.
(why don't you add a dog's picture on the end credits when the "like dogs" text appear...)

Regards
Luca

AndrewChang
09 September 2006, 04:40 AM
Clever story and cute cat animations. I liked it, hope you do a version with dogs too!

sachin3d
09 September 2006, 04:45 AM
nice work man. really liked the concept and look. nice animation too. keep it up.

GoGoMango
09 September 2006, 05:37 AM
It was cute, however I think the animation could use some work. The story is sorta slow to me and there is no real ending, keep it up though.

newellteapot
09 September 2006, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=GoGoMango] The story is sorta slow to me and there is no real endingQUOTE]

Hi! to me that's exactly what is funny about it! Slow, rational, intentional progress towards inevitable death...Fastpaced wouldn't work, in my opinion. But it's personal, isn't it?
cheers
Monica

newellteapot
09 September 2006, 10:33 AM
Hello,
Perhaps a small critique about the colours:
I think there might be too many colours; I would reduce the colour palette down so to focus the viewers attention more on the gags :)
Regards
Luca

I agree with Luca, maybe a minimalistic palette would have focused the attention on the gags more.

Monica

AsaMovshovitz
09 September 2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone,

AndrewChang and sachin3d - thanks and yes i hope to that my next project will be with a dog, but he will be the hero since dogs are just lovely...

GoGoMango - thanks, i know that my animation skills is are that good, that why i do my little shorts, to get better next time. As for it beeing a little slow, well even a silly cat will take its time to kill himself:) besides i find too many cg shorts have too many cuts and i prefered to let my shots breath a little, it might needed a little bit more tighting up but for me it worked.

monica-taddei and lucavfx - thanks, and you are right it did have lots of coloures in it, the film started as a few short clips each was different with different color, so they don't work so well when put one after the other...

Asa

newellteapot
09 September 2006, 10:15 AM
moni- thanks, and you are right it did have lots of coloures in it, the film started as a few short clips each was different with different color, so they don't work so well when put one after the other...

Asa

Ok, I see. personally, I would have done everything in shades of black and white with a splash of color, to focus more on the action.
Good job anyway :)

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2006, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.