XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : HARDCORE MODELING!: 30Days_30Models: Silver

08-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Good Challenge, I hope the Exercise will push every participant forward.
Since focus is on modeling, I just got myself a copy of the Modo 202 - 30 days evaluation version.
I wanted to see what itīs up to, so this is first day modo, first model.
Iīm going for 10 models, beceause Iīm going to be in hospital for about a week, so I lose a lot of time. Anyway, first model is a spoon. Itīs a bit like a shell, with some simple ornamants. about 5 hours from the scratch, including reading some the modo manual.

Model 2 will be A Katana

08-24-2006, 02:54 AM
:eek: Wow thats a awesome beauty render. Very nice concept to take a simple spoon to that. Keep it up!

08-24-2006, 05:02 PM
That is such a weird looking spoon! I don't think i'd want to eat out of it! who knows what is stick in the ridges of it! It feels really old! I like that!

08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
I really like the spiral you incorperated into the stem. Could you explain how you achieved that?

08-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the Comments, Iīm happy you like it. I guess I wouldnīt eat out of it eighter.

Mike: Iīll do a small tutorial for you, and iīll upload it in a few hours.

I just read the new model suggestions early this morning, and decided to do the Katana later. First thereīs the seashell. I thought that the seashell iss a good oportunity to test Modos SSS.
SSS gets messed up easily ehen you have interprenations, so I had to keep an eyse on what happens inside the model too, in order to give it a sublte thickness.

Beauty is still rendering, so first of all the orthographic views. Hope you like it.

08-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Spiral Tutorial

This Tutorial works for every package that has some kind of bend tool. I used Modo, but Lightwave or Max should also work.

1) create a plane, be shire that itīs y-size is an integer. I use a size of 10

2) Select one side, and push it upwards for a possible fraction of the size (for me itīs 1, 2 or 5)

3) Subdivide in the horizontal direction (in modo by choosing split edgeloop) Increase the number of subdivisions until the right-side vertices match up with the lower row of the left side vertices.

Subdivide the other direction, I use about 12 divisions, you might use more.

Use the bend tool with 360 degree, until the left side matches up with the right side.

join the vertices.

split the edge loop, and increase the xz-size to create a bulge.

This is just the base mesh. You might add some of them together, add more detail, or cut it at the end.
The seashell works similar, but itīs a little bit trickier. You start with a cylinder, and build a 180degree, then add them, and use the tapper tool.
If youīre keen on another tutorial just ask.

08-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Beauty Shot of the Seashell:

I alway seem to have trouble with the raytraced shadows. Donīt know what the problem is yet. I guess I need to tune the tesselation values. Lightsource is point, no area or surfaces involved.

08-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Lookin good, thanks for the tutorial.

09-22-2006, 05:14 PM
FYI to all:
HCM: 30 Days, 30 Models: Voting thread will go live on MONDAY (Posting Rules) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=408406) (link)

09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
This is an FYI:
HCM: 30 Days: Message for thos who did LESS than 10 entries (Best Individual Entry) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=409883)

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.